Buffalo Bills Season's End: The Off-Seasons Starts Now

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008

Did we ever figure out what happened over the offseason? I vaguely remember an interview earlier in the year with Frazier where he said McD didn't fire him.

Regardless, I think the defense is better with McD as a coach. Depending how things transpire with Brady- I wouldn't be opposed to bringing in an experienced OC.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Did we ever figure out what happened over the offseason? I vaguely remember an interview earlier in the year with Frazier where he said McD didn't fire him.

Regardless, I think the defense is better with McD as a coach. Depending how things transpire with Brady- I wouldn't be opposed to bringing in an experienced OC.
Frazier said he wanted to take the year off to recover and regroup.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

buffa dud

Dec 31, 2021

Excellent. Hope for nothing but great* things for Frazier, as I think he's a genuinely good human being. The kind you want to surround yourself with in your daily life.

* I wanted to say nothing but the best, but that would imply I want him to win a Super Bowl ahead of the Bills. And that's just not the case. Sorry, Sir!

buffa dud

Dec 31, 2021

There was nothing specific released, which is par for the course for this org (not a bad thing.)

My theory, give how McDermott has ran his defenses as a DC, would be there was probably a key philosophical difference between the two. McDermott probably felt that Frazier was not aggressive enough in key situations (which makes sense if you look at our blitz rate and the uptick in sacks this season) - that Frazier's bend but don't break defense was costing the team wins in the post-season.

But, because he (McDermott) and the players on this team had such an ordinate amount of respect for Frazier, and because Frazier had head coach aspirations, the two probably came to an agreement behind closed doors that this could serve both parties well. Frazier isn't fired, which could have cost him head coaching opportunities. And McDermott gets to see test out a more aggressive defensive game plan, without really committing to it longterm. If it works, great. If it doesn't work, fine. Either way, McDermott will have a better idea as to what he wants out of his next DC.

Please note: this is, of course, almost entirely speculation on my part. I don't have any insider knowledge. I'm just trying to piece together what could

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
Here's your receiver option for next season. #2 type X receiver, size, speed, elite hands. Won't require a 1st round pick.

I'm sold. I watched 45 minutes of NCAA Football this year, and am by no means any kind of scout. Buttt, he looks great. He's got that competitive fire big time, super strong, speed. Seems like good route running.

I am trying to find a comp for him but having trouble, and maybe that's a good thing. He's kind of his own WR comp. Metcalf but not as huge? I didn't realize Rice is 6'3.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
There was nothing specific released, which is par for the course for this org (not a bad thing.)

My theory, give how McDermott has ran his defenses as a DC, would be there was probably a key philosophical difference between the two. McDermott probably felt that Frazier was not aggressive enough in key situations (which makes sense if you look at our blitz rate and the uptick in sacks this season) - that Frazier's bend but don't break defense was costing the team wins in the post-season.

But, because he (McDermott) and the players on this team had such an ordinate amount of respect for Frazier, and because Frazier had head coach aspirations, the two probably came to an agreement behind closed doors that this could serve both parties well. Frazier isn't fired, which could have cost him head coaching opportunities. And McDermott gets to see test out a more aggressive defensive game plan, without really committing to it longterm. If it works, great. If it doesn't work, fine. Either way, McDermott will have a better idea as to what he wants out of his next DC.

Please note: this is, of course, almost entirely speculation on my part. I don't have any insider knowledge. I'm just trying to piece together what could
This has got to be about spot on. It was clear that the defense under Frazier was not going to beat the better playoff teams. Even the original "Tampa Two" mixed in some more aggressive blitzes and coverage disguises to beat the Rams, Philly, GB. Frazier's defense was bending all the way down the field sometimes, but more importantly causing no game breaking plays or TOs. I'm surprised he's even getting a HC interview.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse

This was/is my exact speculation too. But then I remember reading the Frazier interview and thinking it refuted it, but I can’t really remember

Reactions: Zman5778

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
Screen Shot 2024-01-10 at 12.53.16 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-01-10 at 12.58.36 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-01-10 at 12.54.08 PM.png

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
Loving everyone is day-to-day. Especially with how much worse it could have been while watching the game. Even Ty Johnson being limited already seems promising.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I'm surprised he's even getting a HC interview.

I'm not. I think he might be one of the rare guys who might actually be better as a Head Coach than a coordinator......especially if he's learned from his errors in Minnesota.

He's universally praised by players as a good communicator who respects guys and treats them right......without being soft on them.

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
I'm not. I think he might be one of the rare guys who might actually be better as a Head Coach than a coordinator......especially if he's learned from his errors in Minnesota.

He's universally praised by players as a good communicator who respects guys and treats them right......without being soft on them.
Interesting take, and I may agree. Buffa Dud's assessment has to be very close to what happened. Which initial would also make me think he isn't fit for head coach. but, like you said maybe he is, and needs his own DC to be the aggressive play caller.

There's something about how he angles his winter hat though that bothers me..

buffa dud

Dec 31, 2021
That is a middle of the road contract for a starting QB in the NFL today.

That $25M AAV is the 18th highest in the NFL right now.

I maintain, if you have $25M you don't invest it in Geno Smith. You thank him for his service, and you either move on to the next bargain bin reclamation project or you draft someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad