Buffalo Bills Season's End: The Off-Seasons Starts Now

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse

I'm not really sure how to explain the point any more clearly.

If you change event A: Josh and Davis miscommunicating in the red-zone. And they score a TD instead of turning over the ball. Events B, C and D no longer happen.

If you change event B: And Johnson breaks the plane. Events C and D no longer happen.

If you change event C: Josh manages to hold onto the ball. And Bass hits a field-goal. Event D no longer happens.

Moments are built on what's transpired beforehand. That is reality.

Meh, I hear what you are saying but there’s no arguing the bills didn’t leave a ton of points on the field last night. There’s a lot of examples of what you’re saying, but last night isn’t a great example

I bet they could break off a big play on 3rd and <1yd if they fake the QB push and throw a quick pass to the outside.
Or figure out how to sneakily get the ball to one of the “pushers” and have them run to the outside

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
The defense have been the MVPs. So many injuries yet they kept working with a next man up mentality and made countless clutch stops down the stretch. Incredible performance by them
This is what has me hyped for the playoffs, and Ive been saying it for a while. Ever since the Bengals game. People forget how undet manned they were that game, and Burrow was heating up at that point. This is the best defense Allen has had going into the playoffs.

As for Allen, I feel extremely confident when the ball is in his hands at a crucial point late in the game to either give us a go ahead score or make big plays to kill clock, and that's likely going to be the difference between winning in the playoffs or not. That's a trait few QBs have. It seperates the Tuas of the world from the Allens of the world (among other things).

The mistakes are worrisome, but he had a very good game overall. The last 2 TOs weren't him being a dumbass. Pick 2 actually netted us a 15 yard advantage, so Im fine with him making those plays if everything was covered down field. The fumble is on Torrence being a turntable at the snap. Good things rarely happen when a very good DT gets into a QBs face 1.5 seconds after the snap.

So, Im way more confident in this squad than years past. You need your defense to play top tier in the playoffs. It's wha separated the Bills and Bengals the past few seasons. This year, it seems like we have that rugged mindset and confidence. Go Bills!

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
I like these thoughts.

It's risky, and I would like to do a version of this one 3rd and inches. but. have someone like kincaid on the edge, Josh ducks low (almost like a fake spike play). And then Josh bootlegs out and can run for it, hit Kincaid. Or could just duck low and hit kincaid up the seem. Again would wanna see it on 3rd down rather than 4th and inches as the probability surely is lower, but with a big ceiling..
Agreed, there are wrinkles to play with when it's not 4th.

Like a in a rugby maul, the ball could secretly be handed behind Josh to a back who could bounce off tackle. Only 1-2 defenders would have any idea where the ball is, too much chaos.

Reactions: kirby11

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
At the end of the first half when the offense was using spread formation, Colinsworth was saying how he thought Allen just looked more comfortable.

I kind of get that feeling as well. I wish they would do that more often.

Shakir and Kinkaid emerging as legit targets could really open things up.

Last edited:

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
From Ian Rapaport:

Sources: Bills standout WR Gabe Davis suffered a PCL sprain that is not considered major. His status is TBD, but he has not been ruled out of anything just yet. Buffalo’s big-play WR got some solid news.

He will be one of the top WR free agents available this offseason, but has work to do first.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
Consequence of winning the divison - that first place schedule again next year.

We get the divisional opponents + AFC South + NFC West + Chiefs + at Ravens + at Lions whereas the Dolphins crossover games are Raiders, at Packers and at Browns. Significant difference in the crossovers next year, or at least it appears to be from here.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

buffa dud

Dec 31, 2021
Agreed, there are wrinkles to play with when it's not 4th.

Like a in a rugby maul, the ball could secretly be handed behind Josh to a back who could bounce off tackle. Only 1-2 defenders would have any idea where the ball is, too much chaos.
I dig that idea, because the ones that could see see the ball change hands would already be engaged. They'd have absolutely zero opportunity to break free, and make a play.

Reactions: HOOats

buffa dud

Dec 31, 2021
Btw I don't know if this has been mentioned but I would like to thank the Titans. Not only for securing a PO spot for us but also the division. That win against Miami on MNF a month ago was monumental for us. Thanks Vrabel. I'll go back to hating you next year.
You don't need to wait. You can start that whole process up again today.

Consequence of winning the divison - that first place schedule again next year.

We get the divisional opponents + AFC South + NFC West + Chiefs + at Ravens + at Lions whereas the Dolphins crossover games are Raiders, at Packers and at Browns. Significant difference in the crossovers next year, or at least it appears to be from here.
It's way too early to start fretting about the schedule. I guarantee if you compared the SOS at the start of the season to the end it's going to change.

Honestly, who had the Ravens as the top team in the AFC this year?

Last edited:

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
Holy cow peeps. So much negativity. And this is coming from the person who said if they don't beat the Dolphins they might as well not be in the playoffs anyways because they aren't going to win a Super Bowl. Deep breath. Go for a walk. Maybe everyone is stressed out after repeated nail-biters. To quote an idiot on another team: R E L A X. lol.

Carry on. Everyone is going to do what they're going to do. Just seemed like a lot of butting heads and general negativity however it wasn't all bad and some gripes are legitimate.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I'm of two minds here.

1. The table is set for them to at least get to the AFCG. Assuming Buffalo gets past Pittsburgh. The worst case scenario here is Miami winning and them playing Cleveland at home. The best case right now is probably them drawing Houston. The likely scenario is KC. But....look at the AFC. Other than Baltimore:

Miami - Their issues are well documented + run of injuries
Pittsburgh - Lost their best player. Mason Rudolph is about to turn into a pumpkin. They still have a good defense and need to be taken seriously, but if Buffalo can just not make mistakes, it should be a W.
KC: Diminished this year. Kelce isn't automatic anymore. They don't have the deep threat. Offensive line is struggling. And they'd have to come here and win.
Cleveland: Dominant defense....offensively they are as good as Flacco is. Flacco is playing well, it's far from sustainable. No Chubb either. It wouldn't be easy...but is a winnable game. Especially at home. Houston: Stroud is a super star. But, missing Tank Dell. He doesn't turn the ball over, but hasn't lit up a good defense. Their Defense is capable but not outstanding.

Other than Baltimore, who the Bills have played well historically, though, this version is a step up from the previous iterations.

2. The other mind is: I have no idea how this team will play week to week.

Buffalo SHOULD be able to beat each of the other teams in the AFC they'd face before the AFCCG. I'm very curious to see how they'd do vs this baltimore team.

The dominos are set. It's on Buffalo to make it happen.

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
All-in Josh AND minimal fubar decisions challenge.

Impossible?
Probably impossible. Josh with elite decision making would be the best football player of all-time, a perfect Madden create-a-player.

I already think he is the most talented QB in NFL history. The dream was always that this current couple year period would be the intersection of him still at the height of his physical/rushing prowess while maturing into the calm, calculating QB that wins the big ones. It doesn't look like he's going to reach the latter part any time soon, but I'm happy as a fan to ride shotgun with gun slinger Josh. Football doesn't get much more fun than this.

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
Probably impossible. Josh with elite decision making would be the best football player of all-time, a perfect Madden create-a-player.

I already think he is the most talented QB in NFL history. The dream was always that this current couple year period would be the intersection of him still at the height of his physical/rushing prowess while maturing into the calm, calculating QB that wins the big ones. It doesn't look like he's going to reach the latter part any time soon, but I'm happy as a fan to ride shotgun with gun slinger Josh. Football doesn't get much more fun than this.
Fair.

Ya, the fun is off-the-chart. That 3rd-down and 13 run in the 4th was Allen at his absolute beast-mode best.

I just fear there will be one turnover too many in the wrong situation against a playoff team with a high-functioning offense. That was definitely not the Dolphins yesterday.

Fingers crossed though. The ride will be glorious no matter when it ends.

Reactions: Dubi Doo and HOOats

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008

This is an interesting conversation. I ofter wonder what Allen will be once his speed starts slowing down. I think we have a few more seasons of elite physical play, and he does seem to be sliding more.

Once he hits his 30s, his physical game will likely slow down a bit, but he'll still an effective runner. Im hoping he'll be like Big Ben with still more speed and a stronger arm once the peak physical ability starts to diminish a bit. He's always going to be a PITA to take down, and his improvising should still be elite.

Again, I think we have a while before that happens, but it is interesting to think about.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Black Monday also brings interview requests. While I don't expect we'll be losing any assistants, Raiders have requested an interview with Terrance Gray for GM. We'll see if anyone else gets targeted.

buffa dud

Dec 31, 2021
Another chapter in how to lose buy-in and alienate players:

It's really sad to watch someone who was always so positive sound the way he does. He was just a real good dude, and the Giants have turned him. It took my company a decade to do to me what that organization did to Saquon in half the time.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Can't be the only one who thinks the Lamar for mvp propped up by the media is a sham for a QB to win it without even getting to 30 TDs is a joke.....when is the last time a QB who got MVP had such an underwhelming season. I mean its certainly not an okay season but not the elite QB numbers you expect from literally every MVP in the past 10 years especially when we have multiple QBs with over 40 total TDs let alone total at 29.

Last edited:

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
Further to your Lamar Jackson MVP thoughts is the tweet below. This was prior to Sunday so Allen's TDs, INTs, yards, rushing yards and completion percentage are all higher than what was stated.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Further to your Lamar Jackson MVP thoughts is the tweet below. This was prior to Sunday so Allen's TDs, INTs, yards, rushing yards and completion percentage are all higher than what was stated.

It's not going to matter. All anyone is going to say is "Josh turned the ball over 3 times before he got his head out of his ass".

No one is going to remember that Jimbo dropped an easy TD 2 plays before Josh threw short of the endzone as time expired.

No one is going to remember that Josh's 2nd INT wasn't actually a bad play.

No one is going to remember how badly Wilkins abused Torrence on the fumble.

It's. All. On. Josh.

I'm not sure how the national discourse on Josh became so turnover-related and more focused-on-the-negative, but it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad