Buffalo Bills Season's End: The Off-Seasons Starts Now

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
How? This offense continues to struggle to score points. Yesterday they managed 14. They are too inconsistent on offense to make a run.

Such a bad take. Bills just went 5-1 in their last 6 games. 4 wins against playoff teams with legit Super Bowl aspirations. The one loss was in OT.

Offensive DVOA is 4th in the league.

Bills were also one of the unluckiest teams:

Of the Bills 6 losses, 4 were on the last play! (Broncos, Jets, Eagles, Pats).

Team is ripe for a run.

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
Such a bad take. Bills just went 5-1 in their last 6 games. 4 wins against playoff teams with legit Super Bowl aspirations. The one loss was in OT.

Team is ripe for a run.

Outgained dolphins 345 to 177 in passing game

4 plays back , ( 3 ja and 1 cook . See above. Fumble is on ja ). It isn't close. But it was close. Hopefully clean up at home Sunday

Add in penalties at key times and no calls on dolphins which i hope are explored here and other boards.

Reactions: Dingo44

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Are they really peaking at the right time? While they have won 5 in a row, the offense is still struggling to put up points. I can't see this team going far with this offense and the turnovers they do each game.

SmartSelect_20240108_094332_Google.jpg

stealth1

Aug 28, 2009
Niagara, Ontario

Team is ripe for a run.
Ever since analytics became a big thing they have become very over rated. Example look at the Sabres, one of upper teams in expected goals for yet near the bottom of the standings.

The numbers may say they are a top offense but watching says different. Watch teams like Cleveland, Detroit, San Fran and Baltimore. Look how easy they move the ball the majority of games. Watching the Bills, they struggle multiple times a game. Look at how Baltimore's offense looked against Miami and how Buffalo looked last night. You can't tell me Baltimore has that much more talent on offense.

DolanPlsGoSabres

スカンデッラ
Mar 17, 2013
Nagoya
They moved down the field with ease last night.
0 3-and-outs.
1 punt.
Shooting themselves in the foot repeatedly deep in plus territory left over 20 points on the table. The TOs are going to be what kills this team somewhere if it can't be fixed.

But with how up-and-down most of the other teams are (Cleveland almost lost to the Bears and got smacked by the Rams, Houston barely beat Arizona, lost to Carolina, and got whooped against the Jets, Miami is Miami, KC is sloppy on offense, the Steelers run on Tomlin Voodoo Magic), just make one less mistake than the other team and the Bills can win.

The 2021 run was ugly to finish the season aside from the Patriots game (and the other games during that run were much worse competition than Dallas KC and Miami).

Last edited:

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
How? This offense continues to struggle to score points. Yesterday they managed 14. They are too inconsistent on offense to make a run.
7-6. The sky is falling. Go on a run late. Make the playoffs and enter the postseason on an extended winning streak.

They are playing SB championship level defense right now.

They have held 3 top offenses (Dallas, Miami, and KC) to under 20 points per game over this stretch.

The offense needs to not turn the ball over, for sure. But, there is no team in the AFC that really scares me right now. Especially with the Bills having the #2 seed and at least two games being at home where they are 7-1 this year and should be 8-0 if not for too many men on the field.

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
Ever since analytics became a big thing they have become very over rated. Example look at the Sabres, one of upper teams in expected goals for yet near the bottom of the standings.

The numbers may say they are a top offense but watching says different. Watch teams like Cleveland, Detroit, San Fran and Baltimore. Look how easy they move the ball the majority of games. Watching the Bills, they struggle multiple times a game. Look at how Baltimore's offense looked against Miami and how Buffalo looked last night. You can't tell me Baltimore has that much more talent on offense.

Bills were:
5th in yards per play (.2 yards behind Baltimore)
4th in total yards
3rd in first downs
6th in percent of drives that end in points (.7 percent away from Baltimore)
3rd in Expected points
6th in total points

Every team struggles in games. Browns out up 37 vs the Jets but had punt, punt, fumble, punt, field goal to end the game.

It’s not the same offense that never had to punt, but it’s a top NFL offense that’s capable of a Super Bowl.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
The defense is going to have to keep doing what they have been through the playoffs. They're playing top notch right now. The only thing that will stand in the way is Josh Allen playing like a brickhead. I just can't see him playing four straight playoff games without his mistakes being too much to overcome. It's a rotten shame because this team and fan base deserves a shot in the SB. Allen is beyond the point where he should be re-assessing his mentality. It just boils down to a roll of the dice, whether his mistakes will become TOs and how many.

McDermott deserves a lot of credit for the defense, taking over for Frazier's ineptness and making it a strong point of the team. Allen has to be a big boy now and control the football, accept when a play isn't there, settle for a FG or punt, and FFS stop leaving points on the field. Miami had no business being within a score. KC or Baltimore won't lose those games being gifted 3 TOs.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
The defense is going to have to keep doing what they have been through the playoffs. They're playing top notch right now. The only thing that will stand in the way is Josh Allen playing like a brickhead. I just can't see him playing four straight playoff games without his mistakes being too much to overcome. It's a rotten shame because this team and fan base deserves a shot in the SB. Allen is beyond the point where he should be re-assessing his mentality. It just boils down to a roll of the dice, whether his mistakes will become TOs and how many.

McDermott deserves a lot of credit for the defense, taking over for Frazier's ineptness and making it a strong point of the team. Allen has to be a big boy now and control the football, accept when a play isn't there, settle for a FG or punt, and FFS stop leaving points on the field. Miami had no business being within a score. KC or Baltimore won't lose those games being gifted 3 TOs.

Josh Allen also won us that game. He makes mistakes but he also generates touchdowns at a historical rate. There is no QB in the league I'd rather have including Mahomes.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Yeah record wise it's similar. The difference is the offense was clicking in the last few games in 2021. That team was putting up over 30 points a game. This team struggles to get to 21 most games.

IMO if this team wants to win a Super Bowl, Allen needs to stop with the hero ball. Keep the running a part of his game but change is passing game to play more of a game manager. What happened to taking the easy passes that they did at the beginning of the season.

That season ended with falcons and jets games and those were not good offensive games and they weren’t clicking. Sure the points came in those games, but the offense was absolutely not clicking

Reactions: NotABadPeriod

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Josh Allen also won us that game. He makes mistakes but he also generates touchdowns at a historical rate. There is no QB in the league I'd rather have including Mahomes.
A fluke mistake turned into a bonkers TD catch, and a punt return got them back into it. Allen is a great talent and a great guy/teammate and he's super easy to root for, but if at the end of a game/season your mistakes offset all the good, so what?

stealth1

Aug 28, 2009
Niagara, Ontario
A fluke mistake turned into a bonkers TD catch, and a punt return got them back into it. Allen is a great talent and a great guy/teammate and he's super easy to root for, but if at the end of a game/season your mistakes offset all the good, so what?
In the regular season most times you can overcome the mistakes as you aren't always playing the best teams. Playoffs are a different story. Majority of the time mistakes ends your season. Allen needs to do more of taking what the defense gives you instead of looking for the big play all the time.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC

But they didn't. The Bills won the game, and it was Allen who helped carry the team to victory at the end.

We've won the AFC East four years in a row. We're one of two teams to make the playoffs the last five years. Josh is the first QB in history who has had over 40 total touchdowns four years in a row. He leads in the NFL in total touchdowns by a mile. He's tied for second in the league in rushing touchdowns - as a QB, mind you - fourth in passing yards, tied for fifth in passing TDs, third in QBR, and has the second best record in the AFC.

He also holds these NFL records - and this is just a partial list:

NFL records​

• First quarterback to rush for at least 95 yards in three consecutive games (Week 12–14, 2018)
  • First quarterback with 10 passing touchdowns and 2 rushing touchdowns through three weeks (Week 1–3, 2020)
  • First quarterback with 375+ pass yards, 3+ pass touchdowns, 0 interceptions and a 130+ QB rating in multiple games in a single season (Week 2, 9 & 13, 2020)
  • Most rushing touchdowns by a quarterback, first 50 starts: 28 (tied with Cam Newton)
  • First quarterback in history with at least 100 touchdown passes and 30 rushing touchdowns in first four seasons (2021)
  • First quarterback to have 300 passing yards, 60 rushing yards, and five touchdowns passes in a playoff game (2022)
  • Highest passer rating in a single postseason: 149.0 (2022)
  • First quarterback in history to have at least 30 passing touchdowns, 5 rushing touchdowns and 1 touchdown reception in a season (2020)
  • First quarterback in history to score on every offensive possession (7 possessions and 7 touchdowns) in this same game no punts, no turnovers and no field goals occurred for the Bills which also has never happened in the NFL regular season or playoffs. (Wildcard playoff game vs Patriots, January 15, 2022)
  • First player in history to have three seasons with at least 25 passing touchdowns and 5 rushing touchdowns. (Achieved December 1, 2022)
  • First quarterback in history to have five consecutive seasons with six or more rushing touchdowns. (Achieved December 11, 2022)
  • Most seasons with at least 3000 passing yards and 750 rushing yards: 2 (Tied with Jalen Hurts)
  • First quarterback in NFL history with multiple seasons of at least 4,000 passing yards and 700 rushing yards
  • Most seasons with at least 35 passing touchdowns and 5 rushing Touchdowns: 3
  • Most seasons with at least 4,000 passing yards and 400 rushing yards: 3
You're like one of those bosses or parents or spouses who only look at the couple of mistakes and ignore all the good things they do.

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015

??? Sabres are 19th in expected goals for

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
In the regular season most times you can overcome the mistakes as you aren't always playing the best teams. Playoffs are a different story. Majority of the time mistakes ends your season. Allen needs to do more of taking what the defense gives you instead of looking for the big play all the time.
As a Gibbs era Redskins fan I saw how Jay Schroeder wasn't able to win in the playoffs because his million dollar arm couldn't overcome his 10 cent head. Mark Rypien was about the same up until Gibbs implemented a "max protect" scheme with an extra TE/OL to protect him from his own stupid mistakes under pressure.

As a Bucs fan I saw Dilfer constantly make dumb decisions that ruined a good arm, two great RBs, and a near HOF defense. It took a boring but smart guy like Brad Johnson to manage the game better and move the ball just enough to let the defense carry the team to a SB. Later as a Bucs fan I saw Winston be about as dumb of a TO machine as I've ever seen, replaced by a no-talent immobile nerd like Tom Brady, and we know how that went.

Allen leads the league in TOs for his career for a real good reason. He doesn't understand the value in giving up on a play and taking a sack, throw away, FG, or punt.

But they didn't. The Bills won the game, and it was Allen who helped carry the team to victory at the end.

We've won the AFC East four years in a row. We're one of two teams to make the playoffs the last five years. Josh is the first QB in history who has had over 40 total touchdowns four years in a row. He leads in the NFL in total touchdowns by a mile. He's tied for second in the league in rushing touchdowns - as a QB, mind you - fourth in passing yards, tied for fifth in passing TDs, third in QBR, and has the second best record in the AFC.

He also holds these NFL records - and this is just a partial list:

NFL records​

• First quarterback to rush for at least 95 yards in three consecutive games (Week 12–14, 2018)
  • First quarterback with 10 passing touchdowns and 2 rushing touchdowns through three weeks (Week 1–3, 2020)
  • First quarterback with 375+ pass yards, 3+ pass touchdowns, 0 interceptions and a 130+ QB rating in multiple games in a single season (Week 2, 9 & 13, 2020)
  • Most rushing touchdowns by a quarterback, first 50 starts: 28 (tied with Cam Newton)
  • First quarterback in history with at least 100 touchdown passes and 30 rushing touchdowns in first four seasons (2021)
  • First quarterback to have 300 passing yards, 60 rushing yards, and five touchdowns passes in a playoff game (2022)
  • Highest passer rating in a single postseason: 149.0 (2022)
  • First quarterback in history to have at least 30 passing touchdowns, 5 rushing touchdowns and 1 touchdown reception in a season (2020)
  • First quarterback in history to score on every offensive possession (7 possessions and 7 touchdowns) in this same game no punts, no turnovers and no field goals occurred for the Bills which also has never happened in the NFL regular season or playoffs. (Wildcard playoff game vs Patriots, January 15, 2022)
  • First player in history to have three seasons with at least 25 passing touchdowns and 5 rushing touchdowns. (Achieved December 1, 2022)
  • First quarterback in history to have five consecutive seasons with six or more rushing touchdowns. (Achieved December 11, 2022)
  • Most seasons with at least 3000 passing yards and 750 rushing yards: 2 (Tied with Jalen Hurts)
  • First quarterback in NFL history with multiple seasons of at least 4,000 passing yards and 700 rushing yards
  • Most seasons with at least 35 passing touchdowns and 5 rushing Touchdowns: 3
  • Most seasons with at least 4,000 passing yards and 400 rushing yards: 3
You're like one of those bosses or parents or spouses who only look at the couple of mistakes and ignore all the good things they do.
I summed up how I think about the game in the previous post. Scoring TDs is great, really...but what's it matter if you aren't getting to or winning a SB? Mistakes are what prevent those opportunities, so they matter.

Last edited:
Reactions: KeyserSoze81

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
As a Gibbs are Redskins fan I saw how Jay Schroeder wasn't able to win in the playoffs because his million dollar arm couldn't overcome his 10 cent head. Mark Rypien was about the same up until Gibbs implemented a "max protect" scheme with an extra TE/OL to protect him from his own stupid mistakes under pressure.

As a Bucs fan I saw Dilfer constantly make dumb decisions that ruined a good arm, two great RBs, and a near HOF defense. It took a boring but smart guy like Brad Johnson to manage the game better and move the ball just enough to let the defense carry the team to a SB. Later as a Bucs fan I saw Winston be about as dumb of a TO machine as I've ever seen, replaced by a no-talent immobile nerd like Tom Brady, and we know how that went.

Allen leads the league in TOs for his career for a real good reason. He doesn't understand the value in giving up on a play and taking a sack, throw away, FG, or punt.

I summed up how I think about the game in the previous post. Scoring TDs is great, really...but what's it matter if you aren't getting to or winning a SB? Mistakes are what prevent those opportunities, so they matter.

What mistakes prevented us from winning the last five games and being the second overall seed in the conference???

Josh Allen has the record for the highest passer rating in the NFL Playoffs EVER. It was the Bills defense with 13 seconds left that prevented us from making the Super Bowl that year.

Maybe we go back to the days of Tyrod Taylor who never made mistakes or threw interceptions and we never went anywhere or did anything.

Geez negative people are absolutely life draining. I'm glad I've excised them from my personal life.

Willgamesh

Jan 31, 2019
As a Gibbs era Redskins fan I saw how Jay Schroeder wasn't able to win in the playoffs because his million dollar arm couldn't overcome his 10 cent head. Mark Rypien was about the same up until Gibbs implemented a "max protect" scheme with an extra TE/OL to protect him from his own stupid mistakes under pressure.

Seems like you don't understand arm punts, not all Int's are the same.

Reactions: GameMisconduct

stealth1

Aug 28, 2009
Niagara, Ontario
What mistakes prevented us from winning the last five games and being the second overall seed in the conference???

Josh Allen has the record for the highest passer rating in the NFL Playoffs EVER. It was the Bills defense with 13 seconds left that prevented us from making the Super Bowl that year.

Maybe we go back to the days of Tyrod Taylor who never made mistakes or threw interceptions and we never went anywhere or did anything.

Geez negative people are absolutely life draining. I'm glad I've excised them from my personal life.
Nobody is saying that to go back to the days of Tyrod. Some want to see less hero ball that Allen does a lot. Stop trying to force things so much.

What I would like to see is Allen do is continue to use his running game. What would help Allen the most is getting rid of the ball faster. Take the underneath stuff more often. Hit the open reciever for a 4 yard gain.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
For all the drama this season, nothing matters now. All that matters is winning this week.

What’s funny is that this is setup a lot like last years. We faced a decimated Miami team at home and barely won. I think that lesson is learned. We are facing an elite defensive team without their DPOY. They still are a good defense but lack their absolute game wrecker.

Gotta focus and get through the slug fest that the Pittsburgh game will be. Should win.

Reactions: kirby11

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Buffalo could have a good path to the Super Bowl. Here's what I think could pave that road:

Bills beat Pittsburgh in a tighter than comfortable game. Steelers offense sucks but they have one of the best defenses in football at taking the ball away.

Browns beat Texans. Cleveland is one of the teams capable of taking down Baltimore with their defense, but they are on the road. The Texans didn't have Stroud last game. But I think Cleveland wins in a bit of an unexpected shoot out.

Chiefs beat the Dolphins. I think Miami is the better team but they are without so many players right now.

Bills at home against a no longer scary Chiefs team. Bill could exact some revenge for two losses at Arrowhead in the playoffs.

Can the Browns beat the Ravens? They have the defense. And they beat them in Baltimore in November with Watson still at QB. Lamar Jackson was ordinary in that game, and the Browns bottled up the Ravens ground game.

Browns come to Buffalo for the AFC Championship game. Weather won't be a factor for the Browns as they play in the same conditions. But playing the Bills and a crowd fired up beyond belief? That could be the ticket to the Super Bowl.

And..... if Allen gets on another playoff heater.....

For the NFC side, please.... someone beat San Francisco.

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
Dalton Kincaid was 7 out of 8 for 84 yards, and Shakir was a perfect 6 out of 6 for 105. Excellent night for the field, and something we're going to need more of if the Bills are going to go anywhere in the post-season.
Just one drop for Kincaid where he was stretched to the left, thats happened before to the right, hope he works on feathering those in better in practice & offseason along with YAC, but great completion stats indeed! They both have very good hands. Shakir is not quite Beasley level but seems to keep getting better in his own ways and even perhaps does some things better than Beasley. He does remind me of Zay Flowers. I hope he and Josh workout in the season for even more chemistry.

Last edited:

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY

You keep talking about individual games or regular season stuff. Getting to and winning a SB requires another level. At the pace Allen has been on through his career, it's unlikely that he will play four straight playoff games without enough mistakes to cost a game against a better playoff team. I'd love to see him do it, but he has to get some "waste this down and play because it's just not there" mentality.

You're going way overboard about the negativity. I played football for twelve years and every coach I ever had preached about practice and fundamentals and so on, so that mistakes didn't cost us games. They were all right and nobody on the team ever complained about how "life draining" they were, especially when we won most of our games. I could go the other way and say how life draining it would be to play with guys who were flippant about mistakes that ruined drives and lost games, but I don't make over-arching statements like that.

Seems like you don't understand arm punts, not all Int's are the same.
Totally get that, so the 2nd INT wasn't a big deal, but I never tried to single that out.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad