Buffalo Bills Season's End: The Off-Seasons Starts Now

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

You keep talking about individual games or regular season stuff. Getting to and winning a SB requires another level. At the pace Allen has been on through his career, it's unlikely that he will play four straight playoff games without enough mistakes to cost a game against a better playoff team. I'd love to see him do it, but he has to get some "waste this down and play because it's just not there" mentality.
Maybe.

Or, maybe they have their defense playing to a level right now where they can lock down games late that they have let slip away in the past.

This might be the most complete team they have had entering the playoffs with the most advantageous route to the SB in the McD/Beane/Allen era.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY

Maybe.

Or, maybe they have their defense playing to a level right now where they can lock down games late that they have let slip away in the past.

This might be the most complete team they have had entering the playoffs with the most advantageous route to the SB in the McD/Beane/Allen era.

Like I posted earlier, the defense is what can win a SB for this team right now. It would be a rotten shame for stupid decisions to cost points and ruin that chance.

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
They moved down the field with ease last night.
0 3-and-outs.
1 punt.
Shooting themselves in the foot repeatedly deep in plus territory left over 20 points on the table. The TOs are going to be what kills this team somewhere if it can't be fixed.

But with how up-and-down most of the other teams are (Cleveland almost lost to the Bears and got smacked by the Rams, Houston barely beat Arizona, lost to Carolina, and got whooped against the Jets, Miami is Miami, KC is sloppy on offense, the Steelers run on Tomlin Voodoo Magic), just make one less mistake than the other team and the Bills can win.

The 2021 run was ugly to finish the season aside from the Patriots game (and the other games during that run were much worse competition than Dallas KC and Miami).
It's the story of the season, is it sustainable in the playoffs or can they smooth it out ? Hopefully.

Josh "The Dude" Allen
1704731043922.png

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

buffa dud

Dec 31, 2021
Just one drop for Kincaid where he was stretched to the left, thats happened before to the right, hope he works on feathering those in better in practice & offseason along with YAC, but great completion stats indeed! They both have very good hands. Shakir is not quite Beasley level but seems to keep getting better in his own ways and even perhaps does some things better than Beasley. He does remind me of Zay Flowers. I hope he and Josh workout in the season for even more chemistry.

Kincaid's hands are probably closer to Beasley's, but Shakir has some low-key amaze-balls YAC potential. For the second straight year, he's led all Buffalo receivers (tight-ends included) in YAC/R. I'm really interested to see what he can do with Davis' targets next season.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Kincaid's hands are probably closer to Beasley's, but Shakir has some low-key amaze-balls YAC potential. For the second straight year, he's led all Buffalo receivers (tight-ends included) in YAC/R. I'm really interested to see what he can do with Davis' targets next season.
He's been looked at as a slot receiver, but from the beginning I saw him as a Diggs clone. He's got the same type of game. I predict he blows up next season with Davis' snaps.

Bills need to add a taller deep receiver (cue Brendan Rice), and this offense could be unstopable.

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
What I would like to see is Allen do is continue to use his running game. What would help Allen the most is getting rid of the ball faster. Take the underneath stuff more often. Hit the open reciever for a 4 yard gain.
Josh was 30/38...

He had more 4-7 yard quick throws on early downs in this game than I can remember in almost any other game. He was taking what they were giving.

It was literally three tough mistakes and an otherwise routine HOF Josh Miami game. Casual 67 yards rushing...

stealth1

Aug 28, 2009
Niagara, Ontario
Josh was 30/38...

He had more 4-7 yard quick throws on early downs in this game than I can remember in almost any other game. He was taking what they were giving.

It was literally three tough mistakes and an otherwise routine HOF Josh Miami game. Casual 67 yards rushing...
He should be playing like that every game. There is too many games where he doesn't stick to playing like that. He seems to get bored of the quick throw play and goes back to hero ball too often.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
You keep talking about individual games or regular season stuff. Getting to and winning a SB requires another level. At the pace Allen has been on through his career, it's unlikely that he will play four straight playoff games without enough mistakes to cost a game against a better playoff team. I'd love to see him do it, but he has to get some "waste this down and play because it's just not there" mentality.

You're going way overboard about the negativity. I played football for twelve years and every coach I ever had preached about practice and fundamentals and so on, so that mistakes didn't cost us games. They were all right and nobody on the team ever complained about how "life draining" they were, especially when we won most of our games. I could go the other way and say how life draining it would be to play with guys who were flippant about mistakes that ruined drives and lost games, but I don't make over-arching statements like that.

Totally get that, so the 2nd INT wasn't a big deal, but I never tried to single that out.

Allen's already proven he can play at that level. He's done it.

You look at individual plays instead of the games as a whole. Allen did make a few mistakes. He also made some inhuman plays that no other QB is capable.

The first pick was unfortunate as he had rushers in his face, was counting on Davis being in a certain spot, and Davis ran a different play. I'll put that on Davis more than Allen though if you want to just think Allen should have taken the sack, go ahead.

Second pick was basically a punt. Davis also got tripped up in his own feet and wasn't available to make a catch or even a preventative play on the ball.

The fumble sucked but that's going to be Allen. He carries the ball a lot and the amount of good that comes out of it is more than worth the unfortunate fumble or two.

Allen hit a wide-open Cook on his way to the end zone and he flat out dropped it. Not on Allen. Kincaid had a costly drop as well.

For as "bad" as Allen was, he went 30 of 38 (79%!) for 359 yards with 2 touchdowns (and had a TD dropped) and 2 picks, and he ran for another 67 yards - many of those in critical situations when only he could do it.

Crazy anyone would come out of a five game winning streak and a fourth straight AFC title and be hyper focused on the mistakes.

At the half I looked at my best friend and told him I KNEW the Bills were going to win the game. I said it might be close and it might be scary but they are going to win - and it was still 14-7 Fins at that point. Allen was making so many plays all over the place that I knew the mistakes weren't enough to stop him. I'll take the mistakes for the results at the end.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Allen's already proven he can play at that level. He's done it.

You look at individual plays instead of the games as a whole. Allen did make a few mistakes. He also made some inhuman plays that no other QB is capable.

The first pick was unfortunate as he had rushers in his face, was counting on Davis being in a certain spot, and Davis ran a different play. I'll put that on Davis more than Allen though if you want to just think Allen should have taken the sack, go ahead.

Second pick was basically a punt. Davis also got tripped up in his own feet and wasn't available to make a catch or even a preventative play on the ball.

The fumble sucked but that's going to be Allen. He carries the ball a lot and the amount of good that comes out of it is more than worth the unfortunate fumble or two.

Allen hit a wide-open Cook on his way to the end zone and he flat out dropped it. Not on Allen. Kincaid had a costly drop as well.

For as "bad" as Allen was, he went 30 of 38 (79%!) for 359 yards with 2 touchdowns (and had a TD dropped) and 2 picks, and he ran for another 67 yards - many of those in critical situations when only he could do it.

Crazy anyone would come out of a five game winning streak and a fourth straight AFC title and be hyper focused on the mistakes.

At the half I looked at my best friend and told him I KNEW the Bills were going to win the game. I said it might be close and it might be scary but they are going to win - and it was still 14-7 Fins at that point. Allen was making so many plays all over the place that I knew the mistakes weren't enough to stop him. I'll take the mistakes for the results at the end.
That's fine if you're happy taking the bad with the good. I'm not here trying to tell anybody what to like or not, or what type of person they are depending on that.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC

Shortly before the Bills played the Dolphins, a GM from another team picked them to win the Super Bowl.

“When you’ve had struggles during the year and overcome them the way they have, it really hardens you for the playoffs,” this GM said. “Now that Buffalo can run it a little bit, it takes a little stress off Josh (Allen). If I have to make a pick right now, I’m picking Buffalo.”

How sweet would that be for the Bills and their fans?

buffa dud

Dec 31, 2021
Predicting the 2024 Bills' Offense:

1075 Offensive Plays (Approximately)
Allen - 640 Pass Attempts (+60), 85 Rush Attempts (-25)
Cook - 230 Rush Attempts (-10), 60 Targets (-5)
Harris - 70 Rush Attempts (+50), 10 Targets (+10)
Murray - 40 Rush Attempts (-40), 10 Targets (-10)
Diggs - 160 Targets (+/- 0)
Davis - 80 Targets (-1)

Knox - 70 Targets (-35)
Kincaid - 100 Targets (+10)
Sherfield - 50 Targets (+30)
Harty - 10 Rush Attempts (+6), 50 Targets (+30)

Isabella/Shakir/Shorter/Morris/Gilliam - 50 Targets (+1)
So, I way underestimated Sherfield's and Harty's role in this offense.

I also misred Allen's utilization - he wound up "rushing" more this offseason and passing less than I expected, based on the offseason narrative about Allen taking less hits during the regular season.

I wish I could find past betting lines, but I feel like McDermott's Bills have hit the over every season he's been here. Just a feeling, though.

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
I missed the second half, had a hockey game. But, watching all of the hightlights here's a few thoughts:

- Kincaid is some hybrid mix of kelce and Gronk yesterday. Finding open soft spots. Great hands. That back shoulder-esq catch towards the left (top of the tv screen) catch was silky smooth for a TE.

- Loving Shakir and and really looking forward to his and Kincaid's role growing next week with Davis possibly sidelined. Dare I say it could almost be a benefit. Although Davis blocks well and freed up Shakir on his WR screen.

- 3 turnovers by Allen, plus the end of the half stop. They could have had 14+ more points pretty easily.

- I forgot Sherfield played for Miami. nice for him getting that heads up TD in Miami!

- Injuries are a concern. I was most worried about Douglass and hearing a knee injury. Someone in here said that Douglass said he could have went back in possibly? if so, that's great news. But will wait for injury report..

- I honestly might prefer KC at home here rather than the Browns, i'd have to think about it more though. Brown's Defense is pretty scary and Flacco and Cooper are more of a threat IMO.

- I'm hoping the wind/weather is not a factor on Sunday.

- Rudolph is their official starter right? Pickett is done/benched?

- Edit: One more Thing. Bench Von!! I feel bad for him, but still. 0 on the score sheet. Just sit him and hope he gets stronger for next season.

Reactions: ValJamesDuex

buffa dud

Dec 31, 2021
Can people stop saying how the Bills could have had +14 or +21 or whatever imaginary number was left on the field yesterday? When you change one event, every single event thereafter changes with it. The second interception doesn't happen without the first. The Harty punt return doesn't happen without the first half ending the way it does. The injuries, the lack of injuries, the outcome... everything changes for better or for worse and we don't get to pick. The only thing that matters is the Bills are 11-6, they won the AFC East, and next week they play the Steelers.

Just a pet-peeve.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Shakir's catch on the low screen on the left side, followed by him immediately transitioning to being a runner and ducking around Davis' block to the outside to get upfield, was a really smooth play.

For right now, it feels like he, Diggs, and Kincaid are the most consistent/reliable "big 3" of the pass catchers.

KeyserSoze81

Mar 1, 2007
Rochester, NY
- I honestly might prefer KC at home here rather than the Browns, i'd have to think about it more though. Brown's Defense is pretty scary and Flacco and Cooper are more of a threat IMO.
I think they could contain Cooper reasonably well (as they do with most top WRs), but Njoku would kill us. Our tiny LBs and Nickel defense against a 6'4" mountain does not bode well.

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
Buffalo's 2nd half defense: 0 points, 57 yards.
Thats with two additional backups in the lineup, Jackson & Spector. Of course no Waddle and Mostert too on the other side.

Can people stop saying how the Bills could have had +14 or +21 or whatever imaginary number was left on the field yesterday? When you change one event, every single event thereafter changes with it. The second interception doesn't happen without the first. The Harty punt return doesn't happen without the first half ending the way it does. The injuries, the lack of injuries, the outcome... everything changes for better or for worse and we don't get to pick. The only thing that matters is the Bills are 11-6, they won the AFC East, and next week they play the Steelers.

Just a pet-peeve.
I'm not changing it, it's reality.

Reactions: yahhockey

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Josh was 30/38...

And frankly I don't even consider his 2nd INT that big of a deal. It's 4th down. Chuck it into the end zone and maybe you get a PI out of the deal.......or if it's intercepted, who cares -- it's worse field position for the opponent.

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
1000007059.gif

Let's talk Josh Push. Miami put up the best resistance yet. They fully packed the middle and surged ferociously (Wilkins finally had a good game against us).

But it's nearly unstoppable and I love that they're willing to do it twice in a row now and on our side of the field. It could win the Super Bowl if they continue to hone it. The jump version worked once late and then got stuffed on the crucial 4th. I don't love that version except to dunk on the goal line. I like the slight delay off guard version.

Hear me out...we should supercharge the push with even heavier personnel (before they ban it this off-season). Look at the replay of the failed one - of the three guys in the backfield, Shakir and Lenny do nothing and Gilliam only gets a brief push (Wilkins blew this one up almost singlehandedly.) Put Ed, DaQuan, and David Edwards back there instead. 300 lbs more and I'd guess 4x the leg power. Everyone knows it's coming, so disguise doesn't matter. It would never be stopped. Be shameless with it.

(Full disclosure: I'm a rugby player and have been stumping for stuff like the push forever. I also wanted us to train Marshawn to take QB sneak snaps, unstoppable.)

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
View attachment 798810
Let's talk Josh Push. Miami put up the best resistance yet. They fully packed the middle and surged ferociously (Wilkins finally had a good game against us).

But it's nearly unstoppable and I love that they're willing to do it twice in a row now and on our side of the field. It could win the Super Bowl if they continue to hone it. The jump version worked once late and then got stuffed on the crucial 4th. I don't love that version except to dunk on the goal line. I like the slight delay off guard version.

Hear me out...we should supercharge the push with even heavier personnel (before they ban it this off-season). Look at the replay of the failed one - of the three guys in the backfield, Shakir and Lenny do nothing and Gilliam only gets a brief push (Wilkins blew this one up almost singlehandedly.) Put Ed, DaQuan, and David Edwards back there instead. 300 lbs more and I'd guess 4x the leg power. Everyone knows it's coming, so disguise doesn't matter. It would never be stopped. Be shameless with it.

(Full disclosure: I'm a rugby player and have been stumping for stuff like the push forever. I also wanted us to train Marshawn to take QB sneak snaps, unstoppable.)

I like these thoughts.

It's risky, and I would like to do a version of this one 3rd and inches. but. have someone like kincaid on the edge, Josh ducks low (almost like a fake spike play). And then Josh bootlegs out and can run for it, hit Kincaid. Or could just duck low and hit kincaid up the seem. Again would wanna see it on 3rd down rather than 4th and inches as the probability surely is lower, but with a big ceiling..

buffa dud

Dec 31, 2021
I'm not changing it, it's reality...
I'm not really sure how to explain the point any more clearly.

If you change event A: Josh and Davis miscommunicating in the red-zone. And they score a TD instead of turning over the ball. Events B, C and D no longer happen.

If you change event B: And Johnson breaks the plane. Events C and D no longer happen.

If you change event C: Josh manages to hold onto the ball. And Bass hits a field-goal. Event D no longer happens.

Moments are built on what's transpired beforehand. That is reality.

Reactions: Zman5778 and HOOats
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad