Buffalo Bills Season's End: The Off-Seasons Starts Now

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Terry has to address the fans/media about this quote. He’s going to need to talk to the players in the locker room too.

I really, really hope it’s not true. This could get very ugly if it is.

Edit - he did.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I just want to say this now, getting ahead of things:

Remember, politics are NOT to be discussed in this thread.....and we have to be VERY careful as Terry's reported comments could very easily steer us to conversations that we can't have.

Anything that's too politically-charged will be deleted per site rules.

Reactions: Asymmetric Solution

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015

lol I was editing my post to include that tweet just as you quoted me!

I was truly shocked that he would say something like that. I didn’t think he was that type of owner. So I’ll choose to believe him for now.

He also did support the players during the protests iirc.

Last edited:

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015

Absolutely brutal for the Jets and their fans. I actually feel bad for them. Imagine having a great team that just needs a QB as the final piece. Then you not only land a good QB, but a likely 1st ballot hall of famer. Then he goes out for the season on the very first drive of his new team’s career.

Ouch! lol

zenthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Practically speaking it doesn’t matter as much if he did say this, because if the perception is that he did, it will likely negatively impact the bills on and off the field

Reactions: stokes84

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
At least he quickly addressed the news. That is a strong rebuke. I'm willing to take today's statement at face value however if there is audio/video or the comments are corroborated by other people(s) then he has to go.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
At least he quickly addressed the news. That is a strong rebuke. I'm willing to take today's statement at face value however if there is audio/video or the comments are corroborated by other people(s) then he has to go.

I said it in the other thread, and it's just as applicable here:

I can't imagine Terry or Jerry being dumb enough to utter those quotes when they know the audio and/or video is being recorded.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Point taken that Allen isn't patient, but that's no easy 7 yd 1st down. Diggs is open for 2-3 yds and would have to bust through a couple tacklers before he got to 7.

Chicken and egg thing with Allen being patient in the pocket. This line has given him 0 reason to feel comfortable back there.

Reactions: kirby11

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

I also want to say this about the play in question:

ESPN showed a replay from behind Allen. Allen stepping up to run is UNQUESTIONABLY the right decision -- he had 10 yards at MINIMUM in front of him. And knowing Josh, it's entirely possible he picks up 20/30 yards on that run.

If McGovern picks up Johnson better, that's a 1st down EASILY. Like, it's not even close. The middle was WIDE open.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Josh needs a specific kind of confidence right now. Not the Superman, I can do anything, confidence, but the regular, ordinary, people will still love you if you lose type. It’s so weird. I think he thinks he has to justify being a $150mill player in every play. I don’t know if it’s coaching or, more likely, therapy. I want to see super Josh once, maybe twice per game. The rest of the time, his arm and legs should keep the chains moving.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
After sleeping on the game, here are my thoughts:

The number one need for the Bills right now is offensive line. Some of the data in this thread support my comment. If I'm Beane, I place a lot of effort onto improving the offensive line. Build around Torrence. I'd view Dawkins as a stop gap, and go get a center and OT. If that means moving Elam right now, so be it.

The second change I'd make is offensive scheme. I've never been a big fan of vertical offenses. They break down too easily. Horizontal timing offenses (west coast offense) as the base is what Allen needs.

Many strong armed, athletic QBs have had a ton of success in the offense. Young, Elway, Favre, McNabb, Vick, Mahomes, Rodgers, etc. There's a reason. Putting a strong armed, athletic passer into a WC offense puts too much pressure onto a defense. The scheme opens up across the field, and gets receivers open on 3 and 5 step drops. The QB stretches the field vertically with his arm. And if that breaks down, the QB can run.

Onto the "we need another receiver" argument. Here's the group of elite, athletic, strong armed QBs in WC offenses, who won Super Bowls. Top three receivers.

Young: Rice (112), Watters (66), Jones (49)
Favre: Freeman (56), Jackson (40), Beebe (39)
Elway: Sharpe (72), Smith (70), McCaffrey (45)
Elway: Smith (86), McCaffrey (64), Sharpe (64)
Rodgers: Jennings (76), Driver (51), Jones (50)
Mahomes: Kelce (97), Hill (58), Watkins (52)
Mahomes: Kelce (110), Smith-Schuster (78), McKinnon (56)

Things I see:
- 6 of 7 seasons with a TE in the top 3
- 2 of 7 seasons with a RB in the top 3.
- Few elite 2nd WR options.
- Rodgers and Mahomes (2nd SB) had arguable no #1 WR.

Many receivers who were just good at one thing, but it was important. McCaffrey was all about possession. Beebe stretched the field.

So instead of thinking we need to go grab another Tee Higgins, why not protect the QB and give him a better passing offense?

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017

I also want to say this about the play in question:

ESPN showed a replay from behind Allen. Allen stepping up to run is UNQUESTIONABLY the right decision -- he had 10 yards at MINIMUM in front of him. And knowing Josh, it's entirely possible he picks up 20/30 yards on that run.

If McGovern picks up Johnson better, that's a 1st down EASILY. Like, it's not even close. The middle was WIDE open.

It's the exact reason the Jets ran a dline stunt there, created the illusion of a rushing lane when in reality there's a 300lb d-lineman about to pop you. The Dolphins stunted the crap out of them last year and did the same thing.

The quick pass was there, Allen needs to trust the system, protection, and his weapons.

Reactions: Harry Kakalovich

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
It's the exact reason the Jets ran a dline stunt there, created the illusion of a rushing lane when in reality there's a 300lb d-lineman about to pop you. The Dolphins stunted the crap out of them last year and did the same thing. The quick pass was there, Allen needs to trust the system, protection, and his weapons.
The quick pass was there, but there's a 90% chance it doesn't get the first down.

Meanwhile, if Josh eludes one D-lineman it's a first down. Or put better -- if McGovern recognizes and catches the stunt quicker, it's a first down.

He made the right decision, IMO. Yes, you have to trust your weapons. But in this case, he trusted his protection to block the stunt and allow him to get the needed yardage. McGovern is a step late.

I'm sure there are other not-obvious cases that Josh made poor decisions -- IMO, this specific and particular play is not one of them.

Reactions: tsujimoto74

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
The bolded contradicts your Dorsey statement. Dorsey saw enough to call the right plays for the most part........and Josh got very, very, very impatient.

I thought Dorsey, for the most part, called a fine game last night. It's not his fault Josh left his brain in Buffalo and made stupid play after stupid play.
He needs to go back to 2021 Josh at least. I distinctly remember in the Pats game where Beasley and Davis had Covid, he took a ton of easy check-downs in the flats to Knox and McKenzie for 4-7 yards a pop and wasn't baited into forcing something downfield. His thought process has reverted from "let's get a first down here" to "let's get a touchdown" way too often.

Reactions: Zman5778

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015

Full lawsuit. The stuff about Pegula is on page 31.

It sounds like he supposedly said that quote in a zoom meeting with 40 other people on the call. So it should be pretty easy to confirm or deny.

Man I really hope Terry’s not lying. Again, I’ll choose to believe Terry for now.

Edit - actually, I reread it and they aren’t claiming it was said in front of 40 people. The lawsuit claims that it was said to 1 reporter and that reporter said it in that zoom meeting.

Last edited:

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
He needs to go back to 2021 Josh at least. I distinctly remember in the Pats game where Beasley and Davis had Covid, he took a ton of easy check-downs in the flats to Knox and McKenzie for 4-7 yards a pop and wasn't baited into forcing something downfield. His thought process has reverted from "let's get a first down here" to "let's get a touchdown" way too often.

This is EXACTLY right, IMO. How did Mahomes win his Super Bowls? He took what the defense gave him and sprinkled in some "WTF HOW" plays on top.

Allen needs to copy that -- take what the defense gives him and have a couple of game-changing plays per game.

He needs to get away from the mentality that 50% of plays need to result in big, flashy, splashy plays.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Yeah, I don't see how that's a microcosm. Yes, Diggs is open -- but I'm 99% sure that the DB is just barely off screen. Fine, Allen completes to Diggs -- Diggs then has to elude at least one tackle and maybe a 2nd (depending on what's off screen) to get the first down.
It was 1st and 10.

You never go broke taking a profit.

Harry Kakalovich

Like and reply
Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
After sleeping on the game, here are my thoughts:

The number one need for the Bills right now is offensive line. Some of the data in this thread support my comment. If I'm Beane, I place a lot of effort onto improving the offensive line. Build around Torrence. I'd view Dawkins as a stop gap, and go get a center and OT. If that means moving Elam right now, so be it.

The second change I'd make is offensive scheme. I've never been a big fan of vertical offenses. They break down too easily. Horizontal timing offenses (west coast offense) as the base is what Allen needs.

Many strong armed, athletic QBs have had a ton of success in the offense. Young, Elway, Favre, McNabb, Vick, Mahomes, Rodgers, etc. There's a reason. Putting a strong armed, athletic passer into a WC offense puts too much pressure onto a defense. The scheme opens up across the field, and gets receivers open on 3 and 5 step drops. The QB stretches the field vertically with his arm. And if that breaks down, the QB can run.

Onto the "we need another receiver" argument. Here's the group of elite, athletic, strong armed QBs in WC offenses, who won Super Bowls. Top three receivers.

Young: Rice (112), Watters (66), Jones (49)
Favre: Freeman (56), Jackson (40), Beebe (39)
Elway: Sharpe (72), Smith (70), McCaffrey (45)
Elway: Smith (86), McCaffrey (64), Sharpe (64)
Rodgers: Jennings (76), Driver (51), Jones (50)
Mahomes: Kelce (97), Hill (58), Watkins (52)
Mahomes: Kelce (110), Smith-Schuster (78), McKinnon (56)

Things I see:
- 6 of 7 seasons with a TE in the top 3
- 2 of 7 seasons with a RB in the top 3.
- Few elite 2nd WR options.
- Rodgers and Mahomes (2nd SB) had arguable no #1 WR.

Many receivers who were just good at one thing, but it was important. McCaffrey was all about possession. Beebe stretched the field.

So instead of thinking we need to go grab another Tee Higgins, why not protect the QB and give him a better passing offense?
I like this post a lot.

I wonder if it dovetails with my main complaint about the Bills especially since Daboll left (but even with him a bit), which is I find the Bills offense is so often behind script on the down and distance. They just need too many clutch plays all the time. It just doesn't seem realistic. Is that a problem with a vertical offense?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Point taken that Allen isn't patient, but that's no easy 7 yd 1st down. Diggs is open for 2-3 yds and would have to bust through a couple tacklers before he got to 7.
Even if he only got 5 yards, that makes it 2nd and 5 which is way better than what they got.

I like this post a lot.

I wonder if it dovetails with my main complaint about the Bills especially since Daboll left (but even with him a bit), which is I find the Bills offense is so often behind script on the down and distance. They just need too many clutch plays all the time. It just doesn't seem realistic. Is that a problem with a vertical offense?
The problem with that is that the Bills were the best 3rd down team last season at around 50% and they were around 50% last night.

Turnovers, especially in the red zone, have been the major issue that past 9-10 games. The OL has not been great over that span, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad