Buffalo Bills Season's End: The Off-Seasons Starts Now

Status
Not open for further replies.

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
Admittedly I've got some rose-colored glasses on today, but I think Douglas could become a low-key star/cult player here.

Slotting right into an elite defensive culture and perfect scheme fit, cold weather kid from NJ, knack for making huge plays, warrior archetype. It's easy to envision him being a playoff performer. In a month it's going to be hard to picture the team without him.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

Pretty cool. Not sure I agree with the selection, ahead of Tyreek, but I do think Josh has been the best QB in the league this season.

I just can't picture Josh getting MVP right now given how our offense has looked like trash in like half of the games we've played.

Reactions: Dubi Doo

buffa dud

Dec 31, 2021
I just can't picture Josh getting MVP right now given how our offense has looked like trash in like half of the games we've played.

"Looked" being the operative word. I think we need to recalibrate our expectations based on what's happening around the league. Scoring is down league-wide, and it's largely because of the adjustments coaches and GMs alike have made over the course of multiple drafts and off-seasons.

The Bills are 7th in rushing TDs scored, 3rd in passing TDs scored and 2nd in total TDs scored. They're fourth in points scored per game with 27.8. They're 2nd in 3rd down conversions and 2nd in red zone conversions. And for all the nonsense Allen and the crew get about untimely turnovers, they're 8th in percentage of drives ending in offensive turnovers - well behind the Eagles and the Chiefs.

They are miles away from being a bad offense; if you need a reference point, just watch the Giants, or the Jets, or the Commanders, or the Rams, or the Jaguars, or the Raiders, or any other team not featuring Allen/Mahomes/Burrow/Tua.

Last edited:

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

He certainly has the numbers for it, but he doesn't have the narrative, and I'm honestly not sure he ever will tbh. It just seems like he's a guy the media loves to hate whenever he's even slightly less than perfect.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Not to mention that one can make an argument that Josh was either the driving force or a large factor in 2 of 3 of our losses. MVPs shouldn’t be as much of a factor of a loss for a team in multiple games as Josh has.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I still don’t see what the Steelers are really planning to accomplish aside from extending Tomlin’s above .500 streak. Feels like their best case scenario is sneaking into the WC and maybe winning 1 playoff game on the strength of their defense. Pickett’s a bag of meh and Canada is horrible

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Yeah I’m sure instead it’ll go to Mahomes again despite the defense carrying them most of the year
If Josh doesn't get it because the offense has "looked bad", then Mahomes won't get it either and it will go to Tua or Tyreek Hill.

KC had 0 offensive TDs and 5 turnovers in a loss to a Denver defense that had a 70 burger hung on them by the Dolphins.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Rank 8
DaQuan Jones
Buffalo Bills
  • NT Snaps: 75
  • NT Stops: 9
  • NT Pressures: 10
  • NT OVERALL SCORE: 73

Like Grady Jarrett, Jones makes this list despite currently being on injured reserve. He was that good in the five games he played before suffering a pectoral injury.

Buffalo’s defense has incurred myriad injuries outside of just Jones. It’s difficult to quantify his impact when the likes of Matt Milano and Tre'Davious White have been knocked out for the season, and most of the defensive line has dealt with injuries, too. Nonetheless, Buffalo’s defensive pressure rate has fallen from 54.3 percent all the way down to 31.9 percent when Jones has been off the field this season.

Part of Jones' impact is pulling blockers away from his teammates, as no player has drawn more double-teams since 2018 (500) than this 6-4, 320-pounder. Prior to his injury this season, Jones had the sixth-highest double-team rate (56.5%) when aligned as a nose tackle (min. 50 defensive snaps).

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
He certainly has the numbers for it, but he doesn't have the narrative, and I'm honestly not sure he ever will tbh. It just seems like he's a guy the media loves to hate whenever he's even slightly less than perfect.
It’s bias since the draft…..they need to justify their prior criticism

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I really like all three of Beane's moves.

I fear 3rd and 2 yards of less situations for the Bills. They've needed a sledgehammer back like Fournette for a long time. Dorsey also needs a sustainment drive back, and a close out back. Harris was supposed to be that guy but he was hurt repeatedly.

The Bills are habitually bad at being up in games and sustaining drives to close them out. In the game against Tampa Bay, you just hammer the defense with Fournette in the second half and close those games out.

Joseph is the space eater the team needs. Just eat two blocks, let the other fast guys get freed up to move. Very smart, wish Beane had time earlier.

Douglas is needed. It's clear Elam was hurt/struggling, and Jackson isn't going to get it done long term opposite Benford.

These are the non-flashy moves Super Bowl contenders make.

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA
I really like all three of Beane's moves.

I fear 3rd and 2 yards of less situations for the Bills.
They've needed a sledgehammer back like Fournette for a long time. Dorsey also needs a sustainment drive back, and a close out back. Harris was supposed to be that guy but he was hurt repeatedly.

The Bills are habitually bad at being up in games and sustaining drives to close them out. In the game against Tampa Bay, you just hammer the defense with Fournette in the second half and close those games out.

Joseph is the space eater the team needs. Just eat two blocks, let the other fast guys get freed up to move. Very smart, wish Beane had time earlier.

Douglas is needed. It's clear Elam was hurt/struggling, and Jackson isn't going to get it done long term opposite Benford.

These are the non-flashy moves Super Bowl contenders make.
stop having Josh on 3rd and a yard or less go shotgun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad