Buffalo Bills Season's End: The Off-Seasons Starts Now

Status
Not open for further replies.

GameMisconduct

Jul 20, 2006
I think Allen is building trust with Kincaid. He’s not going to feed him the ball until he trusts them. I think our receiving code really burned Allen last year, and I noticed him just avoiding certain targets in the second half of the season.

Kincaid is going to be a good one. It just takes time to build that relationship.

In my opinion of course
I think this is probably also something occurring (or that should be with) Dorsey along the lines that Jim Bob lays out--feeling comfortable making Kincaid the primary read. Seeing him able to get so open on film should hopefully help facilitate this.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

buffa dud

Dec 31, 2021
Honestly, injuries can ruin the fun of the NFL if I think about it too much. It seems to be worsening around the league year-to-year too.

There's a reason "next man up" has reached gold-plated cliche status. But that carries an implication that the players are fungible, faceless soldiers and not our beloved stars. I'll be interested to see how Dorian, Poona, etc fill in of course, but I'd be lying if I said the injuries haven't taken a bite out of my pretty fervent fandom this year.

The injuries have cheapened the Lombardi trophy for me. It was never the be-all and end-all like it is for some people, but it's proving to be even more random as I get older; just looking at the list of who has won a Ring versus who has not does nothing to dissuade me.

Reactions: HOOats

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

In his episode for today, Joe Marino talked about one of the things with Kincaid is that he has been open on a lot of plays where other receivers, Diggs in this case, are also open and a primary read.

The only thing that Dorsey can do is call more plays where Kincaid is a primary or secondary read and not a check down or clear out guy.

I'm not so sure that the play that Marino uses is a good example. If you look at the 6 second mark, Kincaid isn't open while Josh is winding up. Ball comes out and the defender goes to help tackle -- making Kincaid look far more open than he actually was.

I don't doubt that Kincaid is getting open when he's not the primary read/option........I just don't like the choice of play that shows it.

Reactions: Kupo

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
I'm not so sure that the play that Marino uses is a good example. If you look at the 6 second mark, Kincaid isn't open while Josh is winding up. Ball comes out and the defender goes to help tackle -- making Kincaid look far more open than he actually was.

I don't doubt that Kincaid is getting open when he's not the primary read/option........I just don't like the choice of play that shows it.
I think a big thing with Josh is he isn't throwing with anticipation. If he throws that as Kincaid is coming out of his break, Mosely probably isn't catching him.

Reactions: Zman5778

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

This was not a Joe Marino tweet. It just resonated with something that Joe commented on.

On this particular play, it seems like they schemed this up with the 2 receivers & Cook to the left and Diggs 1 on 1 on the right, with Knox running a deeper route, such that it didn't matter one iota if Kincaid got open or not because the first read was to Diggs.

The what if for Kincaid on that play is how does the defense play it differently if Allen looked to the left initially and wasn't pretty locked into Diggs.

I think a big thing with Josh is he isn't throwing with anticipation. If he throws that as Kincaid is coming out of his break, Mosely probably isn't catching him.
Mosely doesn't drop off Kincaid if Allen is looking left, most likely.

Allen was locked into Diggs from the snap.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
This was not a Joe Marino tweet. It just resonated with something that Joe commented on.

On this particular play, it seems like they schemed this up with the 2 receivers & Cook to the left and Diggs 1 on 1 on the right, with Knox running a deeper route, such that it didn't matter one iota if Kincaid got open or not because the first read was to Diggs.

The what if for Kincaid on that play is how does the defense play it differently if Allen looked to the left initially and wasn't pretty locked into Diggs.

Mosely doesn't drop off Kincaid if Allen is looking left, most likely.

Allen was locked into Diggs from the snap.
It doesn't look like Mosley ever looks at Kincaid, just stares at Josh. What I would hope is that in tape review Josh sees this and uses this. Lock onto read one, if painfully open, fire it, it it's contested he needs to come back to Kincaid because he is open. Kincaid is doing a good job as a safety valve and a decoy.

Absent one off game in another country, the offense has been humming. Having Kincaid underneeth in the Beasley role to draw attention away from the offense's success, especially Davis. Why does anyone care how many targets he gets? He's usually the 3rd read. That's fine.
No issue with targets unless painfully open. They need to figure out how to get Harty in and open. There is too much game breaking speed there to not use.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
My cousin is a great guy. And then he drinks 20 beers and all bets are off.

Edit: I want to be clear on this number. It is NOT an exaggeration.
I don't have a beer every day, but most every day. I've been open on this board that I truly enjoy a cold beer and often two or three more if I'm at home working in the yard / garden / garage - especially with the summer heat where I live. And I long ago stopped distinguishing between 16oz / half-liters vs. 12oz / ~350ml beers and just count everything equally as "1 beer". I am confident (and wholly cognizant) I easily exceed the recommended average daily male intake amount over the course of a few weeks or months. And I recognize that's very likely not good for my long-term health.

But I'd be face down, stupified, and out for the count on the floor / ground / horse barn manure if I made it to half the amount above in one "sitting". I hope his health lasts for the sake of your family / friendship.

buffa dud

Dec 31, 2021
Absent one off game in another country, the offense has been humming. Having Kincaid underneeth in the Beasley role to draw attention away from the offense's success, especially Davis. Why does anyone care how many targets he gets? He's usually the 3rd read. That's fine.

Because he's been a reliable receiving option in short yardage situations, which helps keep drives alive and translates well to red-zone conversions.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
I don't have a beer every day, but most every day. I've been open on this board that I truly enjoy a cold beer and often two or three more if I'm at home working in the yard / garden / garage - especially with the summer heat where I live. And I long ago stopped distinguishing between 16oz / half-liters vs. 12oz / ~350ml beers and just count everything equally as "1 beer". I am confident (and wholly cognizant) I easily exceed the recommended average daily male intake amount over the course of a few weeks or months. And I recognize that's very likely not good for my long-term health.

But I'd be face down, stupified, and out for the count on the floor / ground / horse barn manure if I made it to half the amount above in one "sitting". I hope his health lasts for the sake of your family / friendship.
It’s really incredible. I was at his house in Jersey on Sunday, and he drank 14 beers, and THEN we went out. I suspect he fell just shy of 20. The next morning when I woke up he was out running 5 miles. To each their own, but I enjoy not drinking quite a bit.

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo

Not to get too off-topic (maybe beer is on topic in a Bills chat), but this clip came across my desk and cracked me up. It's Shane Gillis, top 5 comedian in the world and close friend of Gabe Davis and Spencer Brown, discussing counting drinks.

There's also a hilarious podcast where he recounts partying with Gabe, Spencer, and the boys at the Galleria Dave & Buster's after the Steelers game last year (pm me)...would love to know if there are any other Shane fans here in the OT thread.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
Not to get too off-topic (maybe beer is on topic in a Bills chat), but this clip came across my desk and cracked me up. It's Shane Gillis, top 5 comedian in the world and close friend of Gabe Davis and Spencer Brown, discussing counting drinks.

There's also a hilarious podcast where he recounts partying with Gabe, Spencer, and the boys at the Galleria Dave & Buster's after the Steelers game last year (pm me)...would love to know if there are any other Shane fans here in the OT thread.

Shane is a top talent

• Love
Reactions: HOOats

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
I think Allen is building trust with Kincaid. He’s not going to feed him the ball until he trusts them. I think our receiving code really burned Allen last year, and I noticed him just avoiding certain targets in the second half of the season.

Kincaid is going to be a good one. It just takes time to build that relationship.

In my opinion of course

Historically speaking, Allen has always preferred going to his wide receivers for whatever reason. It's because of this that I was never on the speedy scat back train, and I never cared for the TEs and 12-personnel talk.

I'm rehashing old posts a bit, but there were just too many times that he ignored Knox and Singletary when they were wide open and threw it to covered WRs instead, and we know Allen does this despite trusting Knox a lot.

I don't know if it's related to his progressions, play design, or comfort level, but if Kincaid is as good as he looks I just hope Allen can better involve him on game day. :dunno:

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Allen reminds me of a young Brett Favre. He went to Sterling Sharpe a lot. Favre threw 1,575 passes in his first 3 seasons as a starter. 510 went Sharpe's way.

Then Sharpe got hurt, and he switched to Robert Brooks. In his 4th and 5th season, Favre threw 1,113 passes. 274 went Brooks' way. He threw 513 passes in his 6th season. 137 went to Antonio Freeman and 118 went to Brooks. In his 7th season, he switched to Freeman, throwing 551 passes with 153 targeting Freeman.

(These are all pass attempts and WR targets, not catches).

Hopefully Allen settles in like Favre, who really started to spread the ball around in their two Super Bowl appearances.

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
Screen Shot 2023-10-11 at 5.07.04 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-10-11 at 5.07.58 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-10-11 at 5.09.26 PM.png

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo

schefter’s credibility is going to take a hit if his ‘likely’ statement ends up being wrong. i don’t know why he’s saying that when the team hasn’t confirmed. wishful thinking, obviously, but i’d expect a media member of his esteem not to throw out maybes….

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018
Broncos appear to be ready to rip it down. Frank Clark reportedly on the block. I wonder if Surtain is too. Beane isn't known to be very aggressive during the season with trades but those are two players i'd check in on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad