Buffalo Bills Season's End: The Off-Seasons Starts Now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I've been away since last Thursday, but I assume by now we're all in agreement that one bad game against a good team in another country isn't a big red flag or cause for concern?

The injuries to the defense though, yikes. I hope Elam figures it out, because while I have faith ind depth plugging in, we're now severely lacking in genuine difference makers, and he's the best shot we've got at uncovering one.

I'd like to float a theory out to the board, and see if it carries any weight:

Is it possible the reason we're seeing these "freak injuries" more frequently than we were two or three years ago is because this roster is simply aging?
Yes.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I don't get the hate surrounding the Norman signing. He's been brought in as a veteran presence in the room who is familiar with the scheme & the coaching staff. He's been signed to the PS - not as a replacement CB1.

I've argued this time & again - but if there's one thing we should trust this regime to do is get the best out of DBs who they see as fits. We've seen time & again relative nobodies have success such as EJ Gaines, Levi Wallace, Dane Jackson & now Benford. In fact - the one guy they bought in with high expectations from the outset (Elam) has flopped because he's a poor scheme fit.
Generally yes, but almost all of their "washed up vet dart throw" CBs have flamed out pretty bad, including Norman himself 3 whole years ago. There's very little risk in bringing him in, so I'm not upset about it at all, but I certainly hope he never plays a snap.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Generally yes, but almost all of their "washed up vet dart throw" CBs have flamed out pretty bad, including Norman himself 3 whole years ago. There's very little risk in bringing him in, so I'm not upset about it at all, but I certainly hope he never plays a snap.
Right - but this is a practice squad signing. People over react way too much to high profile PS signings.

If he's signed to the roster & listed as a starter in the depth chart then problem. But until then - no problem.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Going to the game with my rowdy drunken Giants fan cousin from New Jersey. Wish me luck.
I'll be there to with my rowdy redneck cousins from Medina. They go harder than anyone I know.

Also, the weather is looking pretty crappy as of right now. Cold and rainy. Yuck! It should be a nice cold fall night if the rain holds off. If the rain hits, then it's a different story.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Going to the game with my rowdy drunken Giants fan cousin from New Jersey. Wish me luck.
I was sat next to a couple of Giants/Ranger fans from NYC at the game on Sunday. One of their wives was from Buffalo which was why they were there supporting the Bills. They seemed like really good guys to be honest.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I'd like to float a theory out to the board, and see if it carries any weight:

Is it possible the reason we're seeing these "freak injuries" more frequently than we were two or three years ago is because this roster is simply aging?
When you see players still on their rookie deals missing time (Benford and Groot), that theory doesn't carry a ton of weight with me.

Milano and White are still in their 20s.

It's not just 30+ yo players getting hurt.

So, I think it is more about bad injury luck than just the Bills as a team being older.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
I was sat next to a couple of Giants/Ranger fans from NYC at the game on Sunday. One of their wives was from Buffalo which was why they were there supporting the Bills. They seemed like really good guys to be honest.
My cousin is a great guy. And then he drinks 20 beers and all bets are off.

Edit: I want to be clear on this number. It is NOT an exaggeration.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
When you see players still on their rookie deals missing time (Benford and Groot), that theory doesn't carry a ton of weight with me.

Milano and White are still in their 20s.

It's not just 30+ yo players getting hurt.

So, I think it is more about bad injury luck than just the Bills as a team being older.
There are an absolute ton of injuries in the NFL, period. Look at every team's list of inactives at any given week.

If anything i think the Bills got lucky in recent years (2021 season comes to mind) not having many major injuries.

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
There are an absolute ton of injuries in the NFL, period. Look at every team's list of inactives at any given week.

If anything i think the Bills got lucky in recent years (2021 season comes to mind) not having many major injuries.
Honestly, injuries can ruin the fun of the NFL if I think about it too much. It seems to be worsening around the league year-to-year too.

There's a reason "next man up" has reached gold-plated cliche status. But that carries an implication that the players are fungible, faceless soldiers and not our beloved stars. I'll be interested to see how Dorian, Poona, etc fill in of course, but I'd be lying if I said the injuries haven't taken a bite out of my pretty fervent fandom this year.

DolanPlsGoSabres

スカンデッラ
Mar 17, 2013
Nagoya
They were pretty open about Tre's injury being season-ending.
Since they aren't mentioning that for Milano or DaQuan, perhaps they can return sometime during the season?

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
My cousin is a great guy. And then he drinks 20 beers and all bets are off.

Edit: I want to be clear on this number. It is NOT an exaggeration.

Your edit reminds me of a Ron Swanson classic:

ron-swanson-bacon-and-eggs-gif-13880576.gif

:laugh:

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
They were pretty open about Tre's injury being season-ending.
Since they aren't mentioning that for Milano or DaQuan, perhaps they can return sometime during the season?

Final Thoughts​

There is a small, small, small, small, small chance Matt Milano could return late in the playoffs, but that’s assuming a lot of things at this point. I would place my money on a 2024 return for Matt Milano along with a prior level of play expected. It’s a fracture that cost him the rest of the season, but there are minimal long-term concerns moving forward.

If the Bills made another deep playoff run, then maybe the drum will beat loud for a Matt Milano return, even at less than 100 percent. But it’s unfortunate that the Bills will be without one of their most impactful defensive players for the rest of the season.

I wish Matt Milano the best in his rehab as he prepares for the 2024 NFL season.

Final Thoughts​

This is a highly unfortunate injury that happened to one of the best players on the defensive line. It was a routine play that Jones had completed hundreds of times and this time it led to an injury. He did have a distal biceps tear in 2017, but that was nearly six years ago and it’s not clear which side he suffered that injury on nor do I believe it contributed to this injury.

Watching Jones’s rehab off to the side will be key as the Bills advance in the season. If the Bills are in a position to bring him back, I do expect them to make a strong push for this, but he will still need to get back into game shape and will not initially be the same player up front as his body continues to heal. There are no long-term career concerns, but a less than 100 percent DaQuan Jones will still be better than other options the team may have to put out there.

Best of luck to DaQuan Jones in his recovery and a potentially quick return to the field.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
Honestly, injuries can ruin the fun of the NFL if I think about it too much. It seems to be worsening around the league year-to-year too.

There's a reason "next man up" has reached gold-plated cliche status. But that carries an implication that the players are fungible, faceless soldiers and not our beloved stars. I'll be interested to see how Dorian, Poona, etc fill in of course, but I'd be lying if I said the injuries haven't taken a bite out of my pretty fervent fandom this year.
Bad turf and bs external manipulation

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

In his episode for today, Joe Marino talked about one of the things with Kincaid is that he has been open on a lot of plays where other receivers, Diggs in this case, are also open and a primary read.

The only thing that Dorsey can do is call more plays where Kincaid is a primary or secondary read and not a check down or clear out guy.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
I think Allen is building trust with Kincaid. He’s not going to feed him the ball until he trusts them. I think our receiving code really burned Allen last year, and I noticed him just avoiding certain targets in the second half of the season.

Kincaid is going to be a good one. It just takes time to build that relationship.

In my opinion of course

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad