Buffalo Bills Season's End: The Off-Seasons Starts Now

Status
Not open for further replies.

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
If your bar for core players is Daquan Jones, you’re right, there is no rational argument to be had here. The guy has had a great start to the year but has been a career replacement level player. Milano and Tre are big losses, no doubt. But the sky is falling stuff around here is non-sense.
Daquan is a significant loss. He's been anything but a replacement-level player in his time here, hence the chatter about how to keep him next year. He's a unique player on our DL and is credited with being the keystone for a lot of what we do (including Ed's continued emergence). Just as important a player on this defense as Tre for my money.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Damn, i only saw the news about Milano this morning. Outside of having Allen or Diggs go down, probably the biggest loss we could suffer. There's nobody you csn trade for to replace him. Jones is potentially a bad loss too, although i think Poona Ford is a pretty good player & have been surprised by his lack of opportunity so far.

Despite the injuries & yesterday's loss - i really enjoyed the day. There were so many people i spoke to at & after the game who had travelled from the US, who must have spent thousands on the trip - it was absolutely unbelievable devotion. Even got to talk a little Sabres hockey with one or two people. Of course there was also a guy (from the US) who was desperate to tell me how much Allen sucked as i was leaving... :laugh:

It's a really good stadium too. First time I'd been. I'm not generally a fan of the newer ones, but it's really compact design that does a great job of keeping the noise in. I wish more engineers/architects considered this as a priority.

Jacksonville is a pretty well supported team here, and they made some noise which added to the atmosphere too. Pretty much everyone who wasn't a Bills fan were cheering for them/against Buffalo - that's a clear indication that you have a good team.

On to the next one...

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Daquan is a significant loss. He's been anything but a replacement-level player in his time here, hence the chatter about how to keep him next year. He's a unique player on our DL and is credited with being the keystone for a lot of what we do (including Ed's continued emergence). Just as important a player on this defense as Tre for my money.
Given the depth at DB, I think Jones being out could be a much bigger issue for the defense than losing White. Jones missing the Bengals playoff game and the DL looking bad was an under talked about storyline after that game, IMO.

Reactions: Digable5

Waterfowlist

Aug 9, 2012
You’re using a 4 game sample size to assume what he would be the rest of the season. Watch the other 9 years of his career. He was benefitting from the incredible talent around him. Ed Oliver has been a beast, Groot is closing in on elite, AJ is having a break out season, and Floyd has been a great pass rusher as advertised. The bills D line is not a concern. They have great space eater depth in Phillips and Ford.

We will not notice Jones being gone and people are greatly exaggerating his importance.

The Bills obviously had Miller on a 20 snap pitch count and they stuck to it despite how the game went.

Good for them.

As much as we as fans want them to, this coaching staff is not playing for October. They’re playing the long game.

I was impressed they didn’t put him in when AJ was sucking wind on the sidelines and they needed a stop.

Reactions: Jim Bob

Waterfowlist

Aug 9, 2012
Let’s not forget that Dorian Williams was not a late round pick. He could absolutely come in and play great. Will he be Milano? Nope, but he could be a good player.

I hate unknowns but look how well it is working out with Bernard in the middle.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
You’re using a 4 game sample size to assume what he would be the rest of the season. Watch the other 9 years of his career. He was benefitting from the incredible talent around him. Ed Oliver has been a beast, Groot is closing in on elite, AJ is having a break out season, and Floyd has been a great pass rusher as advertised. The bills D line is not a concern. They have great space eater depth in Phillips and Ford.

We will not notice Jones being gone and people are greatly exaggerating his importance.

As much as we as fans want them to, this coaching staff is not playing for October. They’re playing the long game.

I was impressed they didn’t put him in when AJ was sucking wind on the sidelines and they needed a stop.
My one concern with Jones going down, especially if he is done for the year is that Ford hasn't been getting a jersey on game days over the past three weeks despite Phillips and Settle being non-impact players to this point.

I hope Ford comes in and balls out. But, I am concerned that there will be a noticeable drop in DT play with Jones out and Ford in.

That the NFL chose to put turf in and not grass is just bizarre to me.

Waterfowlist

Aug 9, 2012
@Jim Bob - fair concern, but that is one position we have incredible depth. It isn’t like losing Von last year.

The bills have 3 weeks (really, we have 6 games before we face an elite team) to reset and get on a roll. No slip ups.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
My one concern with Jones going down, especially if he is done for the year is that Ford hasn't been getting a jersey on game days over the past three weeks despite Phillips and Settle being non-impact players to this point.

I hope Ford comes in and balls out. But, I am concerned that there will be a noticeable drop in DT play with Jones out and Ford in.

That the NFL chose to put turf in and not grass is just bizarre to me.
Yes. The NFL pitch is completely separate to & sits underneath the football (soccer) pitch. Completely purpose built & they could literally have chosen whichever type of surface the NFL wanted to use.

Reactions: Jim Bob

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
The Niners are friggin scary right now. There's nothing they don't do well.
Their offense reminds me of the Spurs in the 2014 NBA Finals vs. Miami. Poetry in motion, all moving parts working in total cohesion, constantly forcing defenses into undesirable pick your poison scenarios.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
@Jim Bob - fair concern, but that is one position we have incredible depth. It isn’t like losing Von last year.

The bills have 3 weeks (really, we have 6 games before we face an elite team) to reset and get on a roll. No slip ups.
I do not see the depth being incredible given what we have seen through 5 games.

If Ford had been playing over Philips and looking really good, then I would be less worried. But, Ford hasn't been getting a jersey on game days.

Elam was in the same spot before Sunday and we found out why he hadn't been dressing...

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Not sure what worries me more for this team: the week-to-week inconsistency of the offense, or all the injuries on defense.
After catching a decent bit of some Lions games and seeing how they've integrated LaPorta into the offense, it's mind-boggling that Dorsey and Allen have been unwilling and/or unable to use Kincaid as an intermediate to deep threat over the middle. At the very least, running him up the seam once in a while would seemingly clear out space underneath with LBs dropping to cover him, or create opportunities for deep shots down the sidelines if safeties have to worry about him running 25-30 yards downfield.

Waterfowlist

Aug 9, 2012
After catching a decent bit of some Lions games and seeing how they've integrated LaPorta into the offense, it's mind-boggling that Dorsey and Allen have been unwilling and/or unable to use Kincaid as an intermediate to deep threat over the middle. At the very least, running him up the seam once in a while would seemingly clear out space underneath with LBs dropping to cover him, or create opportunities for deep shots down the sidelines if safeties have to worry about him running 25-30 yards downfield.
Yeah, it's weird how they insist on giving Knox those routes. I want to see fewer passes to Knox and more to Kincaid. You can see he has a unique skill set every time they pass to him. He just needs more opportunity.

Reactions: kirby11

buffa dud

Dec 31, 2021
I don't even care about the downfield stuff. When this team was struggling to get a first, on third and long, how do you not send Kincaid to the sticks, and hit them for an easy first? That's essentially what the Bills did with Beasley, when he was here, and everyone said from the top down that's how Kincaid was going to be used. HIs hands have been advertised, so where's the disconnect? It's the same **** as Hines and Cook last year.

Reactions: kirby11

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021

AJ has looked good through 5 games.

I love the impact plays and progression, but he has also faced backup tackles at times vs Miami and Jacksonville and benefitted from having Floyd on the field. If he continues his growth and does not slow down like last season he and Groot would make damn good bookends.

Last edited:

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad