Buffalo Bills Season's End: The Off-Seasons Starts Now

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Honest question for people more in the know:

I've seen a lot of speculation about the Achilles possibly being the end of Tre as an elite CB given the demands of the position, could he transition to safety instead? Less start/stop wear and tear on him, but his football IQ is still tremendous, and the CB to S transition is quite common, even among top level guys (Rod Woodson and Troy Vincent immediately come to mind among experienced vets, Micah Hyde did it early in his career). Could be a replacement for one of our aging safeties...

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY

I've seen a lot of speculation about the Achilles possibly being the end of Tre as an elite CB given the demands of the position, could he transition to safety instead? Less start/stop wear and tear on him, but his football IQ is still tremendous, and the CB to S transition is quite common, even among top level guys (Rod Woodson and Troy Vincent immediately come to mind among experienced vets, Micah Hyde did it early in his career). Could be a replacement for one of our aging safeties...
I'm not necessarily "in the know" other than being a former player (played both CB and S) that suffered from achilles heel problems. I doubt White can come back at 100%. It's a bad injury for a DB to have to return from. His age makes it less likely too. I don't think moving to safety makes much difference.

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
It's probably been asked before but is there a rule against employing players within the organization right after they've retired from an active player contract.
It's obvious cap circumvention but then again maybe it isn't?

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I think as much as we are excited, it's time to take a step back and take a big breath. Super Bowls aren't won in October.

I'm optimistic because I think we are set up to win battles in the trenches and Allen has shown, more than ever, he's willing to take what teams will give him and is forcing the ball less

But....a whole lot of things have to go right between now and the end of the season. Still 13 games to go.

Also, LOL

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
It's probably been asked before but is there a rule against employing players within the organization right after they've retired from an active player contract.

I mean, the NFL let Brady take sweet cap deals and let that stupid company of his be a pseudo-consultant of the organization. So surely a job afterwards would be allowed!

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
After the Jags we have six days before the Giants, then six days before the Pats, then three days before the Bucs before the bye week. I could see Von playing in two of those four, skipping games to give him extra time off.

So either Jags/Pats or Giants/Bucs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dirty Dog

Mike McDermott

blah blah blah
Apr 23, 2006
Lockport
I could be wrong but if a player retires, any guaranteed money/bonuses still count against our cap. And no, I don’t believe there are any rules against hiring someone into the organization after they retire.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
After the Jags we have six days before the Giants, then six days before the Pats, then three days before the Bucs before the bye week. I could see Von playing in two of those four, skipping games to give him extra time off.

Our bye week is week 13.

If he plays this week, he's going to be on a severe pitch count.

If I had to guess, I'd say the Tampa game. You are getting a fresh body in the rotation on the short week and adds a new wrinkle to the pass rush. Then he gets 10 days off before the Bengals.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
If a player retires while under contract, and the team doesn't cut the player for cap purposes, then the player remains under contract with said team if they un-retire.

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
Our bye week is week 13.

If he plays this week, he's going to be on a severe pitch count.

If I had to guess, I'd say the Tampa game. You are getting a fresh body in the rotation on the short week and adds a new wrinkle to the pass rush. Then he gets 10 days off before the Bengals.
Good catch, not our bye but 10 days Thursday to Monday, Bucs to Bengals.

Pats game is my guess - it's most important standings-wise and he could skip the Bucs game to have two full weeks after getting a taste of game action to really get fit for the crucial games down the stretch. I trust Jonathan and Shaq against the Giants, etc.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

I expect Von to get ramped up in snaps just like they did with Tre last season.

Capture.PNG

Here are the DE snaps so far this season:

Capture.PNG

And here are Jonathan's snaps for the past two games:

2.PNG

If Miller plays this week, I think it will be for less than 15 snaps replacing Jonathan in the gameday lineup.

And they will slowly ramp him up, likely getting him in there mostly when they move Rousseau inside and go with Miller and Floyd outside and Oliver and Rousseau inside in obvious passing downs.

The DL is playing so well that they can afford to slowly integrate Miller into the DE rotation.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I expect Von to get ramped up in snaps just like they did with Tre last season.

View attachment 748822
Here are the DE snaps so far this season:

View attachment 748824

And here are Jonathan's snaps for the past two games:

View attachment 748825

If Miller plays this week, I think it will be for less than 15 snaps replacing Jonathan in the gameday lineup.

And they will slowly ramp him up, likely getting him in there mostly when they move Rousseau inside and go with Miller and Floyd outside and Oliver and Rousseau inside in obvious passing downs.

The DL is playing so well that they can afford to slowly integrate Miller into the DE rotation.
It's wild to me that Floyd is likely going to have the third highest pct of snaps played behind Rousseau and Miller. He's playing lights out for us. Also, if Miller has a lost a stepped- I have full confidence that Floyd and Rousseau can be a very good starting tandem for them.

Rousseau is breaking out in a big way this year. He's on pace to put up almost 13 sacks this year. Breaking 10 would be awesome. Floyd is on pace for nearly 15 sacks.

Also, shout out to Ed Oliver who is on pace for nearly 13 sacks. These numbers will likely fall a bit, but what a start for these guys.

Reactions: HOOats

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
It's wild to me that Floyd is likely going to have the third highest pct of snaps played behind Rousseau and Miller. He's playing lights out for us. Also, if Miller has a lost a stepped- I have full confidence that Floyd and Rousseau can be a very good starting tandem for them.

Rousseau is breaking out in a big way this year. He's on pace to put up almost 13 sacks this year. Breaking 10 would be awesome. Floyd is on pace for nearly 15 sacks.

Also, shout out to Ed Oliver who is on pace for nearly 13 sacks. These numbers will likely fall a bit, but what a start for these guys.
With how evenly they have distributed the DE snaps so far, I doubt that Miller, coming back from an ACL reconstruction, passes Floyd in snap % for the season.

The Bills will want to keep Miller healthy for the playoffs. As such, I won't be surprised if they max his snaps out at around 40-45% per game after two or three weeks of ramp up.

They are already giving Lawson and Epenesa 40% of the snaps. They will not change the healthy rotation to try and keep everyone fresh. It is working so far. And it will likely keep things working with Miller in the mix.

Reactions: tsujimoto74

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Here’s what else we learned about the Bills this week:

1. Speaking of Dorsey, the way he’s incorporated the play-action passing game into the offense this season has helped this passing offense become one of the most efficient in the league through four games. Josh Allen has a 158.3 passer rating and is completing a league-high 81 percent of his passes when the Bills use play action. Last season, Allen was in the top five of passing attempts and EPA/dropback on play action, so it’s not a new thing that he excels in this area. But Dorsey said he and his staff put even more emphasis on finding different ways to lean on it heading into this season. He also said the way the team has been running the ball creates more opportunities in the play-action passing game.

2. Allen was 6-for-8 while targeting vertical routes in this game and had 153 yards and three touchdowns on those passes. Coming into the game, Allen was 7-for-20 for 127 yards, two touchdowns and three interceptions on vertical routes. For the first three weeks, defenses made a concerted effort to stifle Buffalo’s deep passing game. This may have been a reflection of the Dolphins showing more respect for the Bills’ improved running game, but it also shows how much of a difference Diggs makes when he takes over a game. Allen has been at his best in recent seasons when he’s able to attack the deep part of the field. On Sunday, he showed he’s still got it.

Miami's DBs were depleted by injury on Sunday. That was a factor in why the vertical routes worked, as well.

@Gabrielor Joe had a CB trade target that you might not find "fun", but would be more reasonable than most trade ideas I've read: Levi Wallace. Adding a guy that would fit seamlessly into this system makes sense as a mid-season addition.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Heavy improvement to the O-line can't be overstated as a reason why the passing game is working so much better as well. All five of them are playing lights out.
(and)
That + even if his target share isn't crazy, having Kincaid as an underneath element is doing wonders to unlock Gabe down field.
(and)
TEs have also been helping a lot with chip blocks and the like
(and)
So far this has looked like one of Beane's best off-seasons. He didnt have a ton of cap to work, and still added a good amount of talent and depth.

Floyd A+ signing
McGovern awesome signing
Kincaid great pick
Torrence amazing value pick

McGovern, Floyd, and Torrence have all had big time impacts on this team, and Kincaid isn't a slouch, either...it just takes a bit longer for a TE to become an impact player.

Then you add in the depth signings like Rapp, Sherfield, Murray, Harris, etc...and things look even better.

I especially want to give props to the RBs he brought in. They bring attitude and a north-south type of run style this team has lacked for a while.

Giving Dorsey what he needed to run 12 personnel has paid dividends thus far. We look like an offense with attitude.

The cherry on top is trusting that Bernard and Brown would play their roles well. Bernard was an especially good call. He looks like the real deal.

It's early, but Beane's off-season looks awesome. Props!
RE: all of the above posts, pretty much in line with what @Der Jaeger in particular and certain other posters were clamoring for this offseason in both personnel and scheme changes.

White is listed as 5'11'' 192lbs. Whether that's true or not, I'd generally prefer a safety who is 2-3" taller and 10-20lbs heavier.
Von says he is 90% for London

Bill's loose Ankou off the practice squad to the Falcons add a corner from the Panthers
Clarifying - Herb Miller was previously released from the Panthers (in the cuts at the end of this year's camps) so he can be signed to the Bills PS. If he was signed off of the Panthers PS, he would need to be elevated to the Bills 53-man roster in the same manner as Ankou was to the Falcons.

Last edited:

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
With how evenly they have distributed the DE snaps so far, I doubt that Miller, coming back from an ACL reconstruction, passes Floyd in snap % for the season.

The Bills will want to keep Miller healthy for the playoffs. As such, I won't be surprised if they max his snaps out at around 40-45% per game after two or three weeks of ramp up.

They are already giving Lawson and Epenesa 40% of the snaps. They will not change the healthy rotation to try and keep everyone fresh. It is working so far. And it will likely keep things working with Miller in the mix.

Yeah, I imagine they only lean on Miller during the regular season in games that are either against particularly tough opponents, or if we’re in a tight race for the #1 seed or something. Otherwise, I’d guess they deploy him with the aim of keeping him as fresh as possible for the playoffs.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I assume that if all of the top 5 remain active they all play around 40-50% of snaps with Floyd and Rousseau pacing the way. Being able to deploy Epenesa and Lawson with confidence in running situations is an easy way to keep everyone's snap count down without impacting pass rush productivity.

Reactions: Jim Bob
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad