Buffalo Bills Season's End: The Off-Seasons Starts Now

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I know they can't keep everyone and there's some risk with his age, but I'm hoping Beane finds a way to extend DaQuan Jones for a year or two. Dude's been an absolute menace with Ed in terms of creating interior pressure and stuffing the run.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Joe burrow’s mobility and ineffectiveness when being pressured has to be a long term concern if you’re a bengals fan. Teams are tee’ing off on him and he looks terrible.

And I don’t think he’s ever not going to be a statue back there
Burrow's not a speedster by any means, but he's shown pretty decent mobility prior to this season. They're making a huge mistake, IMO, in trotting him out there every week and not letting him take the time needed for his calf to really heal up. Their best case scenario is they have a bunch of wins like vs. the Rams with the defense dragging them to victory, but at that point, why not roll with your backup or grab a free agent, start Browning for a game, then let the other guy take over while Burrow's on IR?

Reactions: tsujimoto74

buffa dud

Dec 31, 2021

It is going to be really interesting to see if the Bengals can turn things around soon.

I don't think they can.

Their loss to the Ravens could have cost them the division title, and their other two losses came against teams competing for a wildcard spot. Factor in that one of the three wildcard spots will be occupied by the Bills/Dolphins, and that margin becomes even more slim.

Not saying they can't, just that it's one steep climb.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Great Bills win. Wife and I were at the game. Upper deck, 35-40 yd line, logo upside down, faces in the sun. She is my good luck charm and favorite football fan. She's 2-0 at Bills games in person in Buffalo, combined score of 88-20. She's a Clemson / Christian Wilkins fan and kept yelling at him for his trash talking antics. Don't know if that was noticed on the broadcast or not.
Only downside of game was difficulty hearing the on-field referee announcements. Crowd was loud, but I don't think the PA / microphones were good, as evidenced by quieter lulls in the game.
The first 4 drives all scores making it 14-14 was a little unsettling, but eventually the Bills incremental talent and lack of mistakes allowed them to pull away.
I disagree with the 2-pt conversion down 17, 31-14, then 31-20. I don't care if the percentage was a little more than 50%. At that point in the game (3Q) with as much as your team had begun sagging offensively, I'd have taken the >95% chance at 1 pt (0.95) vs. the >50% chance at 2pts.

(and)

Yes, he does, I looked it up. Whether he did correctly re-report and it was not announced (i.e., official error) is a good question. Don't know if that was asked in the post-game or not. I'm 100% sure the rule in the 1990s was reporting for each and every play. I'm also 99% sure the rule was changed not that long ago so that the player with the non-standard number only had to report the initial time he entered the game on a series, but not on each successive play until he went out. Then re-report again when entering on another series. So my belief is they changed the rule back to the every-down rule. When? can't recall.

Bills need to add a corner even if Elam is elevated to starter.

The first step it to determine whether another NFL team has a practice squad CB better than whomever is on the Bills practice squad. You can sign a player off an opposing team ps, but must elevate them to your 53-man roster.

Regardless, they need depth.

Agreed.

That's the right way to look at it, IMO. CB1 trade will have trouble fitting with the 2023 cap. A cheaper depth CB better than the Bills ps squad CBs should be the focus. Or, an opposing team with a better scheme fit ps CB than whom the Bills have on their own ps. I doubt the CB depth on other team's ps squads is head and shoulders better than the Bills ps CBs, so you're looking for scheme fit. You can't take a player from an opposing ps and not elevate him to the 53-man roster.

It's the depth that's needed as additional injury insurance.

Agreed, but Bills will need to decide if they can wait or not.

I have no idea how a true CB1 could fit with the minimal $3M cap space the Bills have. You go 50 deep at the position - never mind scheme fit - to get to $3M or below (source Spotrac), and the top 50 include Neal and Elam at $3.1 and $3.9M.

I got a fill-in for my usher slot at church (normally, fill-ins or swaps are only invoked when you're out of town). Marked this one when the schedule came out and told my wife we'll cook a Bills brunch!!! She's a Trevor Lawrence fan, so we'll be pumped up for that one too.
Just wanted to say I'm happy you got to watch a great game. I considered going to the London game but I'll save up for the Sabres playoffs instead.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
I think the White injury isn’t the same as when we lost White a couple years ago.

White wasn’t playing at an All Pro level this year. So there’s no a gigantic step down to the next man up like there was last time.

The D line is so much better. A good D line will help to hide a lot of CB flaws.

I don’t think you go out and get a CB. Elam isn’t as great as you’d hope he would be, but he’s not trash .
I thought White looked amazing until the injury.

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
Screen Shot 2023-10-02 at 5.22.15 PM.png

This play really emphasizes how improved we our at guard. Torrence's scouting report calling him an anchor was dead on.

Last edited:

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
I feel like this is a point missed by many. Just because he's being scratched in our secondary doesn't mean he'd be scratched in every secondary across the NFL.

Kind of like how Hodgins went from PS player here to starting WR in NY.

Elam would very likely be active, if not starting, for a LOT of teams in the NFL.
elam hasn’t been active because he doesn’t play teams. i don’t think it’s any more complicated than that. jackson/elam will be fine replacing tre. just no more season ending injuries please

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
We don't need to trade for a CB. You don't need elite CBs to win a Super Bowl. You need an elite DL, which is why we spent all that draft capital and made all those FA acquisitions to build it. And if you have that DL, CB won't be a problem.

Those Giants teams that beat NE in the Super Bowl, we know the guys that played DL for them: Strahan, Tuck, Umenyiora, Pierre-Paul...but how many DB's can you name from those teams? I can't tell you a single one. Because they didn't need studs, they just needed guys who were good enough. And that was against one of the best QBs of all time and one of the greatest offenses the league has ever seen.

Having White would have been great. Benford/Jackson/Elam with T.Johnson in the slot is still good enough. Especially with us going 3 deep at safety with Hyde/Poyer/Rapp. And all we need is good enough.

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
I thought White looked amazing until the injury.
He definitely looked more like himself this year. At this point you got to figure his starting CB1 days are behind him. It will take a year of rehab to get healed and play again, and another year to get back to full pace, which by then will be old cornerback pace anyways, slowwer even with the injuries on top. We may never see him playing for the Bills again. Sad.

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
He definitely looked more like himself this year. At this point you got to figure his starting CB1 days are behind him. It will take a year of rehab to get healed and play again, and another year to get back to full pace, which by then will be old cornerback pace anyways, slowwer even with the injuries on top. We may never see him playing for the Bills again. Sad.
He'll be ready to play by camp. Achilles rehab is quicker and more successful in avoiding zapping athleticism than ever. 6-8 months from October 1 is March 1-May 1. This isn't the same timeline as an ACL tear around the holidays.

A friend and I at the game 10 minutes before the injury were reveling in how much of a team-first, heart and soul guy Tre is, especially at a traditionally flashy position. It's just brutal for him and the team will no doubt rally behind this. I don't feel like thinking about cap implications of his roster spot right now, but unless it's fully advantageous to part ways I expect him to be on the roster and likely starting next September.

buffa dud

Dec 31, 2021
Couple non sequiturs after yesterday's game:

* The Bills now lead the league in sacks; they didn't finish in the top-10 once while under Frazier. (Great man, whom I sincerely believe deserves a shot at becoming a HC. But, his scheme become a point of contention the last few years.)

* Diggs is on pace to set career highs in touchdowns and yards, 1/4 of the way through the season.

* The Bills' catch% has gone from approximately 65% (last year) to 75% (this year); again, we're only 1/4 of the way through the season.

My own personal take:

* The buildup to this game, and the stakes involved, led to what might be one of my favorite games of all-time.

Waterfowlist

Aug 9, 2012
Through 4 games Terrell Bernard is making us completely forget Tremaine Edmunds with the high level of his play. He and Milano have been lights out thus far. Loving it!
A lot of crow to go around for all the people losing their shit that the bills didn’t address the position in the off-season.

Same with Brown at RT.

Reactions: 26CornerBlitz

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
This Giants team is the one I thought we'd see last year.
They would have been better off not getting fooled into paying Jones, that's for sure.

It's like if we had held onto Tyrod instead of drafting Josh after squeaking into the playoffs in McD's first year. Except to be fair Tyrod was significantly older than Jones was...so certainly easier to walk away from...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad