Buffalo Bills Season's End: The Off-Seasons Starts Now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
It's definitely not knee-jerk. He's out for the year, and they're down 1 on the depth chart. It's math.
Giving up something as opposed to in-house options of dressing Elam, elevating a PS CB, and then signing a street FA to fill the PS hole is a knee-jerk reaction that Beane is unlikely to make right now.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
A ton will depend on how Elam does between now and the trade deadline and how healthy they are at CB and other positions.

I doubt they make a trade right now as a knee jerk reaction to the White injury.
They still have great depth at corner so the only way there would be a roster upgrade would be to bring in a #1 or #2

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Giving up something as opposed to in-house options of dressing Elam, elevating a PS CB, and then signing a street FA to fill the PS hole is a knee-jerk reaction that Beane is unlikely to make right now.
I should've known my fun internal Monday thought of trade would be met with your typical no-fun policy.

Reactions: ValJamesDuex

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
They still have great depth at corner so the only way there would be a roster upgrade would be to bring in a #1 or #2
And good luck getting another GM to give up a CB that is that talented for what Beane is likely to be willing to give up (a day 3 pick).

I should've known my fun internal Monday thought of trade would be met with your typical no-fun policy.
Overpaying for a CB in trade is not my idea of fun.

This is my idea of fun.

Reactions: Matt Ress

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
And good luck getting another GM to give up a CB that is that talented for what Beane is likely to be willing to give up (a day 3 pick).

Overpaying for a CB in trade is not my idea of fun.
I agree Bean will not panic or overpay here. However, one reasonable scenario I could see playing out is the following.

1. This week they activate Elam. Elevate a corner form the PS to game inactive. Sign a vet to the PS.
2. This week Von Miller starts practicing, but does not get activated or play. The Bills have 21 days from when he starts practicing before they have to activate him.
3. If we do not suffer any injuries to the defensive line the next three weeks, then we will have to waive or release a solid lineman to make room for MIller.

At that point you will have had three weeks to get a feel for your active corner play and depth. If you need another corner, there could be a solid player for player trade. Depth dline for depth corner.

Reactions: Ralonzo

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I agree Bean will not panic or overpay here. However, one reasonable scenario I could see playing out is the following.

1. This week they activate Elam. Elevate a corner form the PS to game inactive. Sign a vet to the PS.
2. This week Von Miller starts practicing, but does not get activated or play. The Bills have 21 days from when he starts practicing before they have to activate him.
3. If we do not suffer any injuries to the defensive line the next three weeks, then we will have to waive or release a solid lineman to make room for MIller.

At that point you will have had three weeks to get a feel for your active corner play and depth. If you need another corner, there could be a solid player for player trade. Depth dline for depth corner.
I think the Von Miller roster decision that is most likely is that Kingsley Jonathan is the guy that they cut to make room for Miller.

Reactions: Zman5778 and Paxon

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
The Bills were already 4 deep at boundary corners. I love Tre, but it is probably the position they can most afford to lose a starter.

Not to mention -- CB isn't nearly as big of a deal now that our D-line is actually applying pressure regularly. Our CBs now only really need to cover for 3-4 seconds as opposed to the 6-8 they have needed to in previous years.

I see no reason to give up anything of any sort of value. There are still a few serviceable CBs available that are team-less or on practice squads as well.

Paxon

202? Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I was watching my phone while at a music festival so I missed some, but my rather obvious thoughts:

- The defense ultimately won us the game, with big plays being what turned things from a shootout to a blowout.

- The offense was fantastic. No doubt if they had to keep pace with the Dolphins they could have, leaving things in the hands of one big stop or turnover (a la that Chiefs game). Hence what I said about the defense.

- This offense is the best it has been in this era because it has everything at once. Improved O-Line, improved RBs, the addition of second all-around good TE, and quality scheming have coalesced into an offense that you can't really stop. The running game is there. Pass protection has generally been good, especially with Josh making quick decisions.

- Bow down to Diggs

- The defensive line is incredible. Oliver + Jones combo can't be stopped.

-Taron, Milano, and Bernard just fly around out there. Hyde seems like he is back in business. Rapp filled in well for Poyer.

- Absolutely sucks about White.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

markpenske

Jul 2, 2015
I happened to come across this on a Dolphin's message board (before the game - of course). Pretty entertaining.
""No one in the media is overly enthusiastic about the Bills defense, nor should they be. And there is only one Bills player whose name they keep saying over and over again, Josh Allen. That meathead is not going to carry this team to a victory. He is overrated and his team is, too. He's not going to Superman his way to a win over the Dolphins' defense. And the Bills defense will be lucky to even slow down the Miami offense.

On paper, the Bills cannot beat the Fins, so... What? Me Worry?""

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Yeahhhhh.......we need to extend DaQuan for another year. Him and Oliver have been absolute forces in the middle.
Rousseau and Floyd have been eating, too. Rousseau is especially enticing to me. He was already a beast against the run, and now we're seeing his pass rushing develop, too. He always had that sky high potential. If he's starting to scratch the surface...watch out!

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
I think the White injury isn’t the same as when we lost White a couple years ago.

White wasn’t playing at an All Pro level this year. So there’s no a gigantic step down to the next man up like there was last time.

The D line is so much better. A good D line will help to hide a lot of CB flaws.

I don’t think you go out and get a CB. Elam isn’t as great as you’d hope he would be, but he’s not trash .

Reactions: buffa dud

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Elam isn’t as great as you’d hope he would be, but he’s not trash .

I feel like this is a point missed by many. Just because he's being scratched in our secondary doesn't mean he'd be scratched in every secondary across the NFL.

Kind of like how Hodgins went from PS player here to starting WR in NY.

Elam would very likely be active, if not starting, for a LOT of teams in the NFL.

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
The Jones addition last year was a perfect FA signing. And I really hope Beane figures out a way to keep him around for another year or two beyond 2023.
Yeahhhhh.......we need to extend DaQuan for another year. Him and Oliver have been absolute forces in the middle.

Lets hope they extend him, I would think at his age (31) 2-3 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jim Bob

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
I feel like this is a point missed by many. Just because he's being scratched in our secondary doesn't mean he'd be scratched in every secondary across the NFL.

Kind of like how Hodgins went from PS player here to starting WR in NY.

Elam would very likely be active, if not starting, for a LOT of teams in the NFL.
someone said Bill's practice Squad guys would be backups anywhere else. I would expect Ingram (UB) to get elevated if/when needed from the ps and or they have already touched base today with Cam Dantzler (from training camp).

billsandsabres

lurking
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2002
troy, ny
I think the Von Miller roster decision that is most likely is that Kingsley Jonathan is the guy that they cut to make room for Miller.

i was thinking about this and i have a feeling jonathan would not make it through waivers. lawson is waiver exempt and i bet they could get him on the practice squad. agree that they will probably stick with lawson given his standing in the lockerroom and value as a run stopper. but jonathan has looked good in limited time and i wonder if they try to keep him...

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
i was thinking about this and i have a feeling jonathan would not make it through waivers. lawson is waiver exempt and i bet they could get him on the practice squad. agree that they will probably stick with lawson given his standing in the lockerroom and value as a run stopper. but jonathan has looked good in limited time and i wonder if they try to keep him...
Lawson has been getting a lot more playing time through the first four games. I doubt they cut the guy that has been playing more.

Lawson has had 96 snaps (3rd amongst DE behind Groot & Floyd) to Jonathan's 19.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
I have not bought a jersey (for any sport) in about 10 years but I will be ordering a Tre White jersey .

I hope this isn't one of those cases where he came back from the ACL too soon and has been overcompensating pain all this time by pushing too hard onto his right leg.

It's just so gut wrenching watching that

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad