Buffalo Bills Season's End: The Off-Seasons Starts Now

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaliSabresfan24

Aug 21, 2021
San Jose,CA
All of this ref discussion aside:

The Jets pissed this game away. That throw to the wide open TE on the drive after the safety/TE could have caught that.

Carter's drop on the missed FG drive.

Wilson's brain-dead fumble.
Sure the Jets could have made it easier on themselves but I just dont want to hear about the " Late heroics of Mahomes won them this game." narrative when in all reality, the refs won them the game.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
In thinking on this a bit more, assuming white is out, BBB really has to be aggressive to fix this.

A few things to consider:

1. This is probably the best version of the Allen/Diggs teams we've seen. The best D-line we've had (and we're getting Miller back) and the strongest O-line/run game we've seen.
2. Our schedule is straight up sadistic after week 11. @Eagles, Cowboys, @Chargers, @Kansas City, and @ Miami. I'd say that is 4 top 7 teams currently. And the Chargers aren't a joke. The 'easy' game is New England at home. Realistically, Buffalo need to have 8 wins going into week 11. Coming out with 4 wins in that last 6 would be an achievement, even with the Bye.
3. The defense IS getting older. White isn't an elite CB anymore and who knows who he will be after his second big injury next year. Poyer/Hyde have 1 year left after this. Miller is getting older.

Essentially, Buffalo needs to be all in. Adding a CB1 is priority 1,2, and 3. I'd say probably adding a depth Offensive Tackle is 2. Beane has hedged previously and skipped adding big pieces at the deadline. I think if there is a year to go all in Rams style...this is the year.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

Waterfowlist

Aug 9, 2012
In thinking on this a bit more, assuming white is out, BBB really has to be aggressive to fix this.

1. This is probably the best version of the Allen/Diggs teams we've seen. The best D-line we've had (and we're getting Miller back) and the strongest O-line/run game we've seen.
2. Our schedule is straight up sadistic after week 11. @Eagles, Cowboys, @Chargers, @Kansas City, and @ Miami. I'd say that is 4 top 7 teams currently. And the Chargers aren't a joke. The 'easy' game is New England at home. Realistically, Buffalo need to have 8 wins going into week 11. Coming out with 4 wins in that last 6 would be an achievement, even with the Bye.
3. The defense IS getting older. White isn't an elite CB anymore and who knows who he will be after his second big injury next year. Poyer/Hyde have 1 year left after this. Miller is getting older.

Essentially, Buffalo needs to be all in. Adding a CB1 is priority 1,2, and 3. I'd say probably adding a depth Offensive Tackle is 2. Beane has hedged previously and skipped adding big pieces at the deadline. I think if there is a year to go all in Rams style...this is the year.
I think the bills are a lot more comfortable with their corner back situation than most here think. Elam is a good cornerback, but his demise was them striking gold on Benford in the 6th round. Benford isn’t just playing “OK”. He is playing so well, they aren’t even thinking of giving others a chance. He is your CB1 for the rest of the season. The bills still have 3 starting caliber outside corners on their roster.

We do agree on one thing though, this is the best version of the bills that we’ve seen. The offense has so many layers and counter punches if something isn’t working and they finally have an Oline.

Injuries are guaranteed in this league, but they need to get lucky and not have any more season ending injuries to important players.

PS - Sauce was holding as he does every game. My only issue is that they didn’t call it all game. The timing is what ain’t right.

Waterfowlist

Aug 9, 2012
Man, I know there is no perfect QB metric, but QBR is such a flawed stat.

Baker Mayfield somehow got a 93 QBR this week going 25/32, 246 y, 3td/1int, 8 rushes for 36 yards. Nice state line. But Allen was nearly perfect going 21/25, 320 yards, 4 TD/0 INT, 4 rushes for 17 yards and a TD, and his QBR was 89. He somehow got a negative rushing score while baker got a positive 2.2?

Again, it doesn’t matter that QBR is useless.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel

Agree. Beane has some additional draft picks to make moves, and I’d do it.

I’m not super worried about the schedule late. There’s something to bring battle tested prior to the playoffs. The Bills-Bucs overtime game 2 years ago led to a nearly unstoppable offense during the playoffs.

Plus, the Bills are better at running than 2 years ago, and McDermott has the defense playing at a much higher level. As long as injuries don’t decimate the team.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I think the bills are a lot more comfortable with their corner back situation than most here think. Elam is a good cornerback, but his demise was them striking gold on Benford in the 6th round. Benford isn’t just playing “OK”. He is playing so well, they aren’t even thinking of giving others a chance. He is your CB1 for the rest of the season. The bills still have 3 starting caliber outside corners on their roster.

We do agree on one thing though, this is the best version of the bills that we’ve seen. The offense has so many layers and counter punches if something isn’t working and they finally have an Oline.

Injuries are guaranteed in this league, but they need to get lucky and not have any more season ending injuries to important players.

PS - Sauce was holding as he does every game. My only issue is that they didn’t call it all game. The timing is what ain’t right.

I like Benford...I just don't think he's a true CB1. I think we can make it through the trade deadline with what we have. Jags/Giants/Patriots don't have the elite WRs. However, The Bucs do with Mike Evans. I have no idea who is out there to go get, But, the Bills should go find one, regardless of cost.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Maybe I’m too optimistic, but boundary CB is the one position in the defensive backfield where an injury can be absorbed. I’m much much more concerned about safety, linebacker and nickel depth. Honestly, in some ways, Taron Johnson is the most irreplaceable player on that defense. Milano, Johnson, Hyde. Those are the guys for whom an injury forces a trade.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Diggs owes someone 20 bucks

Closer to $40.

But, every fan near the front row in that endzone will be claiming Stef took their beers this morning.

I like Benford...I just don't think he's a true CB1. I think we can make it through the trade deadline with what we have. Jags/Giants/Patriots don't have the elite WRs. However, The Bucs do with Mike Evans. I have no idea who is out there to go get, But, the Bills should go find one, regardless of cost.
McD's defense does not require an elite lock down CB1. They need CBs that are disciplined in their zone concepts and responsibilities, are tough, and reliable when tackling.

Benford has passed Jackson and Elam because he is so good as a zone CB.

Reactions: Digable5

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Defensive holding/illegal contact should NOT be automatic 1st downs.
contact…sure. Holding can prevent the throw from happening because WR is held snd brought down on the field
Wouldn’t hate a trade-off of making them 10 yard penalties but no auto firsts. Either that or make OPI come with a loss of down and call less DPI on underthrown deep balls where the WR initiates contact and jumps back into the trailing DB as they’re trying to stop.

I think there should be different levels like running/ roughing kicker. The very flagrant are spot fouls. Others are 10 yd penalties

Reactions: kirby11

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

2. The Bills are scarier.
Since losing to the Jets in Week 1, Buffalo has been terrifying. The Bills have outscored opponents 123-33 in the three games since, punctuated by a 48-20 smackdown of the Dolphins team that put up 70 last week. I don’t know who’s stopping Buffalo.

Welcome to scary szn.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Joe burrow’s mobility and ineffectiveness when being pressured has to be a long term concern if you’re a bengals fan. Teams are tee’ing off on him and he looks terrible.

And I don’t think he’s ever not going to be a statue back there

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Great Bills win. Wife and I were at the game. Upper deck, 35-40 yd line, logo upside down, faces in the sun. She is my good luck charm and favorite football fan. She's 2-0 at Bills games in person in Buffalo, combined score of 88-20. She's a Clemson / Christian Wilkins fan and kept yelling at him for his trash talking antics. Don't know if that was noticed on the broadcast or not.
Only downside of game was difficulty hearing the on-field referee announcements. Crowd was loud, but I don't think the PA / microphones were good, as evidenced by quieter lulls in the game.
The first 4 drives all scores making it 14-14 was a little unsettling, but eventually the Bills incremental talent and lack of mistakes allowed them to pull away.
I disagree with the 2-pt conversion down 17, 31-14, then 31-20. I don't care if the percentage was a little more than 50%. At that point in the game (3Q) with as much as your team had begun sagging offensively, I'd have taken the >95% chance at 1 pt (0.95) vs. the >50% chance at 2pts.

Re-report? Does he have to report each play he’s in?
(and)
I've literally never seen someone called for not "re-reporting"
Yes, he does, I looked it up. Whether he did correctly re-report and it was not announced (i.e., official error) is a good question. Don't know if that was asked in the post-game or not. I'm 100% sure the rule in the 1990s was reporting for each and every play. I'm also 99% sure the rule was changed not that long ago so that the player with the non-standard number only had to report the initial time he entered the game on a series, but not on each successive play until he went out. Then re-report again when entering on another series. So my belief is they changed the rule back to the every-down rule. When? can't recall.
Elam…?

Nvm……
Bills need to add a corner even if Elam is elevated to starter.
We will need to trade for CB this week
The first step it to determine whether another NFL team has a practice squad CB better than whomever is on the Bills practice squad. You can sign a player off an opposing team ps, but must elevate them to your 53-man roster.

They are just fine with Jackson and Benford.
Regardless, they need depth.
Who's trading one at the point? I don't think there's anyone on the market who would fit that bill.
Agreed.

Difficult to envision a scenario where they are able to trade for a CB1 however if they want to add a CB there may be options out there who are better than current players on the practice squad.
That's the right way to look at it, IMO. CB1 trade will have trouble fitting with the 2023 cap. A cheaper depth CB better than the Bills ps squad CBs should be the focus. Or, an opposing team with a better scheme fit ps CB than whom the Bills have on their own ps. I doubt the CB depth on other team's ps squads is head and shoulders better than the Bills ps CBs, so you're looking for scheme fit. You can't take a player from an opposing ps and not elevate him to the 53-man roster.
Suggesting we trade for a CB better than Jackson/Benford seems very unrealistic
It's the depth that's needed as additional injury insurance.
Which in theory they can do with them. This is a big shot for Elam and if it doesn't work out, there will be some corners available on garbage teams around the trade deadline to where you could dangle Elam and something for them or just dangle picks.
Agreed, but Bills will need to decide if they can wait or not.

I have no idea how a true CB1 could fit with the minimal $3M cap space the Bills have. You go 50 deep at the position - never mind scheme fit - to get to $3M or below (source Spotrac), and the top 50 include Neal and Elam at $3.1 and $3.9M.

not for a corner man imo unless it's a partial tear, and even then

anyone here going btw

9:30 Et start reminder, our local pizza joint has already booked all their breakfast pizza slots ? lol
I got a fill-in for my usher slot at church (normally, fill-ins or swaps are only invoked when you're out of town). Marked this one when the schedule came out and told my wife we'll cook a Bills brunch!!! She's a Trevor Lawrence fan, so we'll be pumped up for that one too.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Happy he's here.

Still expect a trade. Doesn't mean a Ramsey-like swing.

Could be like last trade deadline when they got Marlowe back.
A ton will depend on how Elam does between now and the trade deadline and how healthy they are at CB and other positions.

I doubt they make a trade right now as a knee jerk reaction to the White injury.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
A ton will depend on how Elam does between now and the trade deadline and how healthy they are at CB and other positions.

I doubt they make a trade right now as a knee jerk reaction to the White injury.
It's definitely not knee-jerk. He's out for the year, and they're down 1 on the depth chart. It's math.

Reactions: ValJamesDuex

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016

You may be correct, but they are now in Plan B. They need insurance that they can maintain this level in the event they need to go to Plan C. If they can upgrade great. But getting a db in early to acclimate is better insurance.

Reactions: Bendium

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
F7abMgeW8AAVUVP.jpg

:lol:

You may be correct, but they are now in Plan B. They need insurance that they can maintain this level in the event they need to go to Plan C. If they can upgrade great. But getting a db in early to acclimate is better insurance.
Beane doesn't overreact like fans do.

They have a 2022 1st round CB that has been a healthy scratch the first four games of the year and a CB on the practice squad that knows the system better than someone they can trade for.

Right now, the most I expect is they add a vet to the PS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad