Confirmed with Link: Sean Walker & 5th round pick ('26) traded to Colorado for 1st round pick ('25 - top 10 protected) & Ryan Johansen - Johansen assigned to Lehigh Valley

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

How Do You Grade The Trade?

• Total voters

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
Walker could have gotten a higher pick, quite easily. Of course noone is coming out with 4 weeks to go talking about being willing to pay full asking price (shitty market aside, noone walks in and offers 50K Ober asking for a house). But as the deadline gets closer, and situations change - someone gets injured, a team goes on a run and moves into a PO position - so does their willingness to spend.

The Flyers also gave a 5th up for the luxury of throwing away money and cap space.

It's a bad deal. Thats all there is to it.
How do you know that Walker could have gotten a higher pick "quite easily"?

What's the story with RyJo anyhow? The dude is only 31 and 2 seasons removed from scoring 63 points. How did he fall off that cliff so badly?

Reactions: Fight4yourRight

Danko

The Bearer of Bad Knees
Jul 28, 2004
So if he gets claimed, it would be $2 mil in dead space, yes?

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Well he was waived right?

Yeh, but that means nothing apart from:

"We hope that someone claims him."

Because he might still be on Flyers going forward, and then would they send him to LHV? Or play him at 3C and hope he has a fluke scoring season next year and then flip him with 50% retained at deadline for a pick or something... since Cs always have some value even if bad.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I'm pretty happy to get a 1st back for a player that was a throw-in last summer in a deal that got rid of that cancer Provorov and netted us another 1st.

They sold high on Walker too. The cracks in his game were starting to show.

Not really concerned about taking back Johansen since they waived that loser. I don't want to see him on the Flyers.

Not thrilled about the top 10 protection though.

Overall, i'm good with it.

Would be nice to trade Laughton for a 2024 1st though.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
What do you mean nothing?

You have heard for weeks that teams aren't willing to offer the 1st for Walker. Taking on that contract took it from a 2nd to a 1st. Tanev got a pretty shoddy return for someone that was 75% retained.

That contract is a 3m loss on the cap next year. I'll trade 3m for upgrading 32 places in a draft.
I'm not bothered by taking on Johansen's contract. They'll still have plenty of cap room to play with.

Walker for a 1st and Johansen would have been fine, though there are arguments you could/should have been able to extract another mid-late pick from Colorado to facilitate taking Johansen on.

The Flyers should not have had to return a draft pick to get this done. It speaks to their insistence that trades are win-wins; they'll go the extra mile to make the other team avoid immediate buyer's remorse that they'll dampen their own return.

@Appleyard says they have two years to get that pick back, but it seems more likely they'll give away more of these picks than obtain them. :laugh:

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016

Because he might still be on Flyers going forward, and then would they send him to LHV? Or play him at 3C and hope he has a fluke scoring season next year and then flip him with 50% retained at deadline for a pick or something... since Cs always have some value even if bad.
Can you retain on a retained player?

FromOyVey2Matvei

Jul 15, 2023
Philadelphia
This is a win for the Flyers. There were a large amount of people who said there was no chance we’d get a 1st for Walker under any circumstances and now they’re very predictably shitting on getting a first because we have to take on an extra year and 4MM of Johansen.

Extremely small price to pay. Especially when you see the lack of value received for retention / taking on bad contracts in recent years.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
More pleased that walker was traded. If they didn't get the 1rst he may have stayed as an "internal rental"

I can live with suboptimal cap space weaponization

Reactions: tymed

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016

When is the last time we fleeced a team clearly? I think it's very negative for us to just settle with "well this is good because they didn't outright lose."

"Good" isn't exactly what I'd use. I wouldn't say it's Bad, either. Lukewarm, like a ravioli grasped too long in the palm.
That's not very positive.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008

Of course - just was clarifying that technically the "next" step is in motion. End game though, that's a different story of course.

Reactions: Appleyard

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Good deal if true.

Edit. Shoulda known they’d take a contract back.
I’m not saying shit until we actually know, but Johansen is a LARGE negative.
This is what I get for jumping to conclusions.

A cooked Marleau at 6.25 for one year cost a later first a few years back. A cooked Johansen at 4M should be, I would think, a late 2nd on its own, if valuations are approximate.
Puckpedia has Johansen's contract dump valued at 33rd overall (1st pick in round 2).

Today: 33rd overall in 2024 > 2025 1st round pick with a chance of being 2026.

That would imply Walker had negative trade value lol.

Danny/Front Office seem to value pick value much more than cap space. This is the second case in less than a year of taking on big cap numbers for less than market value.

They needed to get that 2024 1st.

It’s a better draft
Nobody knows that. Especially later in the round.

ponder719

The same New Era as before
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Can you retain on a retained player?
Yes. The Calgary/NJ/Dallas trade for Tanev featured exactly that; Calgary retained 50% of Tanev's remaining salary, the Devils got some assets for retaining 50% of what was left, and officially, the Devils traded Tanev to Dallas, who are due to pay 25% of his original remaining salary.

Edit: GJ, me, taking enough time to look up all the details on Tanev left time for every component of what I said to be said by one person or another in the meantime.

Reactions: BritainStix

JayRosehillMVP

snubbed again
May 28, 2012
Philadelphia
I’m as annoyed as everyone else at talks of a Seeler extension and refusing to trade Laughton, but f***s sake guys. If this is only scenario in which Walker brings back a 1st I’m happy with it. I’m the furthest thing from a simp for the new regime but being upset with this one just feels silly to me. The 5th going the other way is funny as shit though lol, as if the deal couldn’t be made without it

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
This is what I get for jumping to conclusions.

Puckpedia has Johansen's contract dump valued at 33rd overall (1st pick in round 2).

Today: 33rd overall in 2024 > 2025 1st round pick with a chance of being 2026.

That would imply Walker had negative trade value lol.

Danny/Front Office seem to value pick value much more than cap space. This is the second case in less than a year of taking on big cap numbers for less than market value.

Nobody knows that. Especially later in the round.

This is hilarious.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad