Confirmed with Link: Sean Walker & 5th round pick ('26) traded to Colorado for 1st round pick ('25 - top 10 protected) & Ryan Johansen - Johansen assigned to Lehigh Valley

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

How Do You Grade The Trade?

• Total voters

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
148.jpg

Yeah they just made some nice moves. I don’t think that’s an investment where you feel like you have to re-sign Walker either (not that I think they would anyway).

I don’t know what the valuation charts say but I’d imagine Colorado probably should have included another pick here like a third or fourth rounder perhaps?

sauce88

Jul 6, 2011
Remember they're on record saying that they want to make trades to ensure both sides feel like it's a win-win. Expect more conditions that tilt future trades in value the other way every time.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
I don't think that's great value, right? With the desperation for Dmen heading into the playoffs, he probably should have fetched a first on his own. But then to take on RJ AND give up a fifth AND push the first to 2025 AND to have it top-10 protected? Not a massive loss, but it would be nice to get appropriate value for once.
This is similar to the Provy trade for me. The idea is good, and they got some value back, but the when you consider the contract you took back in addition to the assets, it looks like the deal isn't as big a net positive as it seems initially.

What would fair value be for dumping RyJo and getting a 5th back, a 2nd round pick seems fair for that? Basically means you traded walker and a 2nd for a 1st, which is definitely value but seems like you left some on table at the same time.

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
The Flyers are rebuilding and don't need a #1d while they do that. So they should just trade Sanheim, right?

If you give away an asset for free ( or below value) it's a bad process. It doesn't matter that you have the means to make it feel less impactful. 4M in cap space has value, as documented in previous trades. The fact that the Flyers took it on for...nothing is a problem. No amount of orange tint to the glasses fixes that.
What do you mean nothing?

You have heard for weeks that teams aren't willing to offer the 1st for Walker. Taking on that contract took it from a 2nd to a 1st. Tanev got a pretty shoddy return for someone that was 75% retained.

That contract is a 3m loss on the cap next year. I'll trade 3m for upgrading 32 places in a draft.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Weird to include the 5th rounder the other way... like Colorado would say "no" if Flyers said no to that.

happy to get a 2025 1st rounder, even if Johansen coming back sucks. But whatever, if that is what it took to get a 1st for Walker instead of a late 2nd? Flyers need those darts more than cap room right now.

Interesting to see what exactly the "Plan" is for Johansen.

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
What is different about this than the Ceci + 1st deal everyone wanted?

The Ceci/1st trade also saw Seeler traded away rather than us signing him to an overpay.

Ceci would have actually played in the NHL not the AHL.

Ceci could have been flipped for more value at the next TDL, which Johansen can't be.

We didn't send away a 5th in the hypothetical Ceci deal.

Again, glad to see Walker moved and glad to have another first, but not feeling like we did amazing in the trade either.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Where have you seen this? I haven't seen it mentioned once.
32T pod have mentioned it multiple times that teams, and their own draft experts, believe this is a draft that you don’t want to draft after 20. Colorado is definitely drafting after that. So worth it to gamble that they either draft higher next year, get a better prospect, or both.

5th round pick in 2026, don’t really care. They have 2 years to get that back.

Danko

The Bearer of Bad Knees
Jul 28, 2004
Weird to include the 5th rounder the other way... like Colorado would say "no" if Flyers said no to that.

happy to get a 2025 1st rounder, even if Johansen coming back sucks. But whatever, if that is what it took to get a 1st for Walker instead of a late 2nd? Flyers need those darts more than cap room right now.

Thank you for saying exactly what I wanted to say.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
What do you mean nothing?

You have heard for weeks that teams aren't willing to offer the 1st for Walker. Taking on that contract took it from a 2nd to a 1st. Tanev got a pretty shoddy return for someone that was 75% retained.

That contract is a 3m loss on the cap next year. I'll trade 3m for upgrading 32 places in a draft.

Walker could have gotten a higher pick, quite easily. Of course noone is coming out with 4 weeks to go talking about being willing to pay full asking price (shitty market aside, noone walks in and offers 50K Ober asking for a house). But as the deadline gets closer, and situations change - someone gets injured, a team goes on a run and moves into a PO position - so does their willingness to spend.

The Flyers also gave a 5th up for the luxury of throwing away money and cap space.

It's a bad deal. Thats all there is to it.

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
This is similar to the Provy trade for me. The idea is good, and they got some value back, but the when you consider the contract you took back in addition to the assets, it looks like the deal isn't as big a net positive as it seems initially.

What would fair value be for dumping RyJo and getting a 5th back, a 2nd round pick seems fair for that? Basically means you traded walker and a 2nd for a 1st, which is definitely value but seems like you left some on table at the same time.
Don't forget that the '25 1st is essentially a '24 2nd in value.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008

Well he was waived right?

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
Charlie did say yesterday they had multiple offers on the table for Walker with a first rounder but they had strings attached & weren’t outright returns. The Ceci rumored leaked yesterday & I assume this was another one he was talking about.
There had to been something else attached to the Ceci. I would be shocked if they chose Johansen over Ceci outright, considering they just waived Johansen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad