Value of: Sean Monahan to Winnipeg

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
and xGA? It doesn't help your point

On the Habs at 5 on 5, Caufield is 2nd and Xhekaj, who was sent to the ahl and told to work on his defensive game, is 3rd.

View attachment 798928
1704753340976.png

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
This is an overpayment. The ceiling on the return on Monahan is the Domi trade last year and I doubt it even fetches that considering Domi had better numbers and was injury free and even Domi only went for a late 2nd. No way the Jets should be trading the Habs 2nd round pick for Monahan which is very likely going to be a top-40 pick.
No chance the Habs are retaining just for a 2nd rd pick.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
and xGA? It doesn't help your point

On the Habs at 5 on 5, Caufield is 2nd and Xhekaj, who was sent to the ahl and told to work on his defensive game, is 3rd.

View attachment 798928
... what exactly do you think my point is? Why do you think I think Caulfield is an awful defensive player?

Cole Caulfield ranks around 151st in the league in xGA/60 among forward on NaturalStatrick, seemingly a little higher on Moneypuck or whatever website you're looking at. Seems he's doing fine defensively this season.

What does that have to do with Monahan?

Reactions: Bluenotes27

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
good luck in the playoff with your second center Namesnikov…😂
Good luck in the playoffs with....oh wait, you won't be in the playoffs.
Sell Monahan to someone else, he's not needed on the Jets.

Who said Chiarot is a top 4 D? I need the name of your dealer. That's some great weed you're smoking...

Last edited:
Reactions: kenobiwan

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
... what exactly do you think my point is? Why do you think I think Caulfield is an awful defensive player?

Cole Caulfield ranks around 151st in the league in xGA/60 among forward on NaturalStatrick, seemingly a little higher on Moneypuck or whatever website you're looking at. Seems he's doing fine defensively this season.

What does that have to do with Monahan?

You used Monahan's GA/60 and xGA/60 and compared them to his teammates to prove he's bad defensively. Those same stats show that Caufield is far better defensively than Monahan. You won't find any Habs fan who remotely agrees with this statement.

Nevins

Jul 12, 2014
Good luck in the playoffs with....oh wait, you won't be in the playoffs.
Sell Monahan to someone else, he's not needed on the Jets.

Who said Chiarot is a top 4 D? I need the ame of your dealer. That's some great weed you're smoking...
It's amazing to see how some (the majority are charming) Winipeg fans have become delusional and arrogant since their team, which has proven nothing, has had a good season. How many Stanley Cups does Winnipeg have?😂😂😂

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
It's amazing to see how some (the majority are charming) Winipeg fans have become delusional and arrogant since their team, which has proven nothing, has had a good season. How many Stanley Cups does Winnipeg have?😂😂😂
how many cups does MTL have since expansion?
My arrogance has foiled me, MTL is the last Canadian team to win the cup in 1993.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
You used Monahan's GA/60 and xGA/60 and compared them to his teammates to prove he's bad defensively. Those same stats show that Caufield is far better defensively than Monahan. You won't find any Habs fan who remotely agrees with this statement.
So you're operating under the assumption that Monahan is better defensively than Caufield, and as such you think that stats that show Monahan is worse defensively must be faulty?

What if you instead question why Montreal allows many more shots against (blocked, unblocked, and on target), more scoring chances (over 5 per 60 minutes), more high danger scoring chances (over 4 per 60 minutes), and more goals when Monahan is on the ice than when Caufield is on the ice?

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
You're talking to someone that used to be the biggest Habs' fan west of the Quebec/Ontario border, so I know what a great team your team used to be. They aren't anymore. They were a team with superstars, tradition and respect but that is gone. Has been for awhile. If you can't see that, you need to see an ophthalmologist.

You were the one beaking off about "good luck in the playoff with your second center Namesnikov…😂".
It's been proven to you that Names is the better player and we are trying to improve the 2C position, not make it worse. He's horrible defensively and has consistently been a minus player. Also, he wouldn't be playing between our 2nd line wingers because he wouldn't be on the 2nd line. He wouldn't crack the top two lines because of talent. He won't make the 3rd line because he is poor defensively. He would, at best, be on the 4th line.

Monahan might be healthy scratched on the Jets during the playoffs if our team were healthy, so go talk to Florida or someone and see if you can bend them over because you aren't bending Chevy over for a 1st.

I see some Habs' fans are still butt hurt over not getting PLD...

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
So you're operating under the assumption that Monahan is better defensively than Caufield, and as such you think that stats that show Monahan is worse defensively must be faulty?

What if you instead question why Montreal allows many more shots against (blocked, unblocked, and on target), more scoring chances (over 5 per 60 minutes), more high danger scoring chances (over 4 per 60 minutes), and more goals when Monahan is on the ice than when Caufield is on the ice?

Probably because he gets heavier defensive usage than others

• Haha
Reactions: TS Quint

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Probably because he gets heavier defensive usage than others
If I present stats that show that their offensive zone stats are essentially equivalent and Monahan faces lower quality of competition, will you consider that maybe Monahan does actually suck defensively, or will you decide that those are also bad stats because they make Monahan seem like he's bad defensively?

Because the stats don't support what you're claiming.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
If any Peg fan brings up that Habs are still smarting over PLD, i got a bridge to sell you.

Every day we light a candle for LA who saved us from that bullet.

Reactions: pth2

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Nobody is paying Grade A assets for someone to come in and play 3C as a rental. If they’re paying those kind of prices, it’s not going to be for Monahan.

That’s just the reality of it.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Nobody is paying Grade A assets for someone to come in and play 3C as a rental. If they’re paying those kind of prices, it’s not going to be for Monahan.

That’s just the reality of it.
The reality of the rental market is that the goal is to have a better team for the playoffs than would be sustainable over a full season, for cap reasons. There's no reason Monahan wouldn't fetch something valuable, though whether Winnipeg is a fit is a whole different question.

Reactions: GrandBison

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
The reality of the rental market is that the goal is to have a better team for the playoffs than would be sustainable over a full season, for cap reasons. There's no reason Monahan wouldn't fetch something valuable, though whether Winnipeg is a fit is a whole different question.
Aside from the fact that he's not a very good 5v5 player. Playoff teams don't give up assets for guys who produce like bottom 6 players while being a defensive liability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad