Value of: Sean Monahan to Winnipeg

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
Aside from the fact that he's not a very good 5v5 player. Playoff teams don't give up assets for guys who produce like bottom 6 players while being a defensive liability.
not a whole lot out there for centers. the potential lack of options only helps his value. that said if any team gives up a good pick they should make it conditional on games played and/or team performance.

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Monahan doesn't move the needle, id rather go for a substantial upgrade like Lindholm. No problem paying the premium on that too it's rare to have a team clicking like this

Reactions: CanMerc

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Aside from the fact that he's not a very good 5v5 player. Playoff teams don't give up assets for guys who produce like bottom 6 players while being a defensive liability.

Yeah. Last year the Avs were linked to Monahan by LeBrun. At the time the Avs were comfortable paying a future 2nd. The delayed utility probably makes the value of that pick more like a 3rd at the time of the trade. So if the Avs were interested in Monahan, it was probably because they were willing to pay something similar to whay they paid for Eller.

Domi is a decent comp but with possibly better offense. Habs fans would rather avoid talking about that though.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
If adding Monahan as a center materially improves your team, you're not a cup contender.
i guess that depends on your definition of 'materially'. monahan could be a good improvement for a team like the avs and i would absolutely consider the avs a contender. the way winnipeg is playing too you'd have to include them in the contender discussion.

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
not a whole lot out there for centers. the potential lack of options only helps his value. that said if any team gives up a good pick they should make it conditional on games played and/or team performance.

Do people realize you cant trade any of the potential conditional picks?

Why would a team want to have both a 2nd and a 3rd tied up because either scenario might happen? For Monahan? !

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
i guess that depends on your definition of 'materially'. monahan could be a good improvement for a team like the avs and i would absolutely consider the avs a contender. the way winnipeg is playing too you'd have to include them in a contender discussion.
Monahan would not make either team better. He's not an upgrade on Johansen, Colton, Namestnikov, or Lowry.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
Do people realize you cant trade any of the potential conditional picks?

Why would a team want to have both a 2nd and a 3rd tied up because either scenario might happen? For Monahan? !
assuming hes moved at the deadline the conditions would be resolved pretty quickly by seasons end

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
assuming hes moved at the deadline the conditions would be resolved pretty quickly by seasons end

Doesnt matter. It precludes you from using one of the picks to make another addition at the tdl. Knowing you're trading the 3rd doesnt help you use the 2nd three weeks after the TDL.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
Doesnt matter. It precludes you from using one of the picks to make another addition at the tdl. Knowing you're trading the 3rd doesnt help you use the 2nd three weeks after the TDL.
for what it's worth i think you can trade conditional picks i think it just gets messy.

i think the avs will run out of cap space before they run out of assets.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
You just completely ignored the chart I posted, huh?

Keeping your head in the sand, right?

That chart that says 99% of players are better at defense than Monahan? Yeah, I'll take that chart with a grain of salt.

If I present stats that show that their offensive zone stats are essentially equivalent and Monahan faces lower quality of competition, will you consider that maybe Monahan does actually suck defensively, or will you decide that those are also bad stats because they make Monahan seem like he's bad defensively?

Because the stats don't support what you're claiming.

You're the one who needs to explain why stats say that Caufield is so much better at defense than Monahan and the other habs players, not me.

Relying solely on advanced stats to evaluate a player is foolish. It's a complimentary piece, not the main piece. So no amount of advanced stats that you will give me will change my mind since it doesn't match the eye test, which is far more important. It's also pretty common for advanced stats to not match the eye test. Puljujarvi had awesome advanced stats and he wasn't a good hockey player.

It's obvious you guys haven't watched much of Monahan in the last 2 seasons. The people who have watched a lot of him (habs fans), I highly doubt you will find any of them call Monahan a defensive liability.

• Haha
Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
If adding Monahan as a center materially improves your team, you're not a cup contender.
But adding him as a winger who can slot into any C role if required, for a team with a lack of depth at C, could be of great interest. Over 4 rounds of playoff hockey, injuries are bound to happen. Kind of the way a guy like Byron (a few years back) or Newhook isn't a natural center, but can fill in for a while, which is awfully better than promoting a 4th liner who might survive in his zone but will kill his lines' offense.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
But adding him as a winger who can slot into any C role if required, for a team with a lack of depth at C, could be of great interest. Over 4 rounds of playoff hockey, injuries are bound to happen. Kind of the way a guy like Byron (a few years back) or Newhook isn't a natural center, but can fill in for a while, which is awfully better than promoting a 4th liner who might survive in his zone but will kill his lines' offense.
Monahan isn't a good offensive player at 5v5. He doesn't produce at a better rate than most 4th liners.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
He spent most of the season playing with Gallagher and Pearson which obviously does not help.
He's been producing like this his entire career, aside from time spent alongside Johnny Gaudreau. He literally produced at almost the exact same rate in Calgary without Gaudreau on his line.

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
Yeah. Last year the Avs were linked to Monahan by LeBrun. At the time the Avs were comfortable paying a future 2nd. The delayed utility probably makes the value of that pick more like a 3rd at the time of the trade. So if the Avs were interested in Monahan, it was probably because they were willing to pay something similar to whay they paid for Eller.

Domi is a decent comp but with possibly better offense. Habs fans would rather avoid talking about that though.
LeBrun is Hughes shill.

Notice how much Hughes leaks to him? Notice how it isn't confirmed on the other side? PLD is for sure going to the Habs....nothing about that out of Winnipeg. Hughes turned down a 1st for Anderson.....no rumors from any other city. Monahan to the Avs....anyone else supporting that besides Hughes' little monkey?

Reactions: CanMerc

CanMerc

#FIRECHEVY
Dec 7, 2023
Quick run down for late comers… save you reading the whole thread….

Heres how this thread should have gone…
OP… anyone consider maybe Monahan as a 2C possibility in WPG
Jets fans… not thanks… not what we need and doesn’t fit our system
Habs fans… are you sure
Jets fans… yup
Habs fans…ok
end thread

Heres how it’s going…
Habs fans… are you sure
Jets fans… yup
Habs fans… but you need him, and he’ll only cost a 1st+
Every WPG fan…. No thanks, we don’t want him, he’s not what we need, and you’re asking too much
Habs fans… but
Jets fans….no
Habs fans… but
Jets fans….no
Habs fans… but
Jets fans….no
Habs fans… but
Jets fans….no
Habs fans… but
Jets fans….no

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Quick run down for late comers… save you reading the whole thread….

Heres how this thread should have gone…
Habs fans… are you sure
Jets fans… yup
Habs fans…ok
end thread

Heres how it’s going…
Habs fans… are you sure
Jets fans… yup
Habs fans… but you need him, and he’ll only cost a 1st+
Every WPG fan…. No thanks, we don’t want him, he’s not what we need, and you’re asking too much
Habs fans… but
Jets fans….no
Habs fans… but
Jets fans….no
Habs fans… but
Jets fans….no
Habs fans… but
Jets fans….no
Habs fans… but
Jets fans….no
Heres how it’s going…
OP… anyone consider maybe Monahan as a possibility in WPG, as middle-six player who can fill in at C if needed ?
Jets fans… no, he completely sucks. Why are you suggesting this bad, bad player ?
Habs fans… are you sure, he's actually pretty good despite playing with bad players
Jets fans… yup
Habs fans… but you seem to have a need, and there's only one Lindholm
Habs fans… but we have a wide array of asks, how can you be sure about the price ?
Jets fans….we're going to focus on the wildest asks, for kicks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad