SCF: Florida Panthers vs Edmonton Oilers (Series Tied 3-3) Hold onto your butts, Game 7, Monday 8/24 @ 8pm ET !

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
**Stanley Cup Final**
Florida Panthers vs Edmonton Oilers

IMG_6403.pngIMG_6404.png

IMG_6446.jpeg

Last edited:

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
EDM when 7 games with a Vancouver team that has small d-core. I don't think people realize how dominate Fla. has been because elite goalies have kept others in games.

Edmonton struggled when Dallas on the forecheck when they started playing heavy below the blue line. If they can't handle Dallas doing that they have .000001 chance vs Fla.
Vancouver doesn't have a small d-core though. And neither does EDM for the record. Every defenseman is 6'2 or bigger. Florida isn't going to push them around. By the way, Skinner was the main reason the Canucks series went 7 games. EDM absolutely dominated most of the games but Skinner blew 2 of them. He did not look good for much of that series. That's why he was pulled for the back up. And something you might not know is they held the Canucks on average to 20 shots. The series had no business going 7 games.

As for EDM and the Dallas forecheck they didn't struggle. What happens is when EDM gets the lead they tend to sit back way way too much and that gets them in trouble. They go into LA Kings mode with the 1-3-1 and hold on that way not even looking for offense. They just keep flipping it out. I don't like that they do that but I can understand why they do it. They play better when they are moving and skating. Their turtle defending where they are stagnant hurts them.

Reactions: FiveFourteenSixOne

gritdash60

Aug 9, 2022
Behind the net
I think there is 2 possibilities, either McDavid will just go off and get it and no one can do anything about it. (which is actually something that could happen).

Or if they go team against team where i dont see Oilers winning.

My Prediction is Panthers in 5.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
T-Minus 1 Day. Should be an amazing series, a gift to the hockey world.

I remember that draft well. Flames fans and media were taking victory laps when we “passed” on Bennett.
And then they totally misused him as a bottom six winger. Been 2nd line center from day one in FL and he has done very well.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Manitoba
Florida has higher skill and is deeper than Dallas.
Can someone actually provide evidence for this?

It's been stated numerous times but there hasn't been a single person who had actually backed it up.

Dallas had 10 players that reached 47 points. Florida had 5 players that reached 47 points(their next closest was Bennett with 41 points)

What are you basing your evidence on when it comes to Florida being deeper?
Which team has better defensive forwards or? You stated skilled as well, which I don't quite understand.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
Reminds me of when people tow the line and I wonder, where are they taking it? But I tend to toe the line and stop just short of calling them out ;)
:sarcasm: When you see such a grammatical problem u should say something about it, you know just nip it in the butt before the problem spreads further.

It was all due to ESPNs wants/needs for their TV schedule.

They probably had Professional Tag and a Dodgeball tournament scheduled for this week.
The Cornhole Masters tournament takes precedence

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
And Greg Cote, a sports columnist with the Miami Herald, says McDavid is over-rated lol
He’s partying today because his click bait article was so “successful”. The Boy is making a name for himself. That’s it’s a name being ridiculed doesn’t really matter.

Well when you mischaracterize what was said, it does look a bit silly don’t it.
That is going on with both sides.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
I know it's meant for a laugh and these people are literally clueless about anything outside their own sphere, but wow, that's bad. Florida has had an NHL team for 31 years. I hate when people get in to slamming regions or cities (slam the team not the city) but for a die hard hockey fan, this still kinda upsets me.

But then again, i don't give two shits about football and i'm sure most people in Florida would think that's just as bad....
Football is king in the Southern US. Both College and NFL.
College teams can draw really large crowds for inter-squad scrimmages during the preseason.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Oh, so let me get this straight. Western Conference fans know more about Eastern teams because the games are on at dinnertime?

First thing I want to do after a long day at work. Flick on the TV, ignore my family during dinner and watch a game involving a team that I really have no interest in.
ME TOO!!!

• Haha
Reactions: Just Rude

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
Contrary to what my wife says, size doesn’t always matter.

Florida plays a lot bigger than they physically are. They are relentless. They led the league in hits in the regular season. The top three teams in hits were Atlantic (FLA, TOR, BOS). It’s not by coincidence.

Vancouver was fourth, Edmonton 16th. That said, it’s not really Edmonton’s style, nor should it be.

In the playoffs (Hits/60), it’s TB-LA-TOR-BOS-FLA, although the first three are small game sample sizes. Florida averages 4+ hits per game more than the Canucks in the playoffs, 12 more than Edmonton and 17 more than Dallas.

Like I said, bigger doesn’t always tell the whole story. Everyone knows how the Panthers are going to try to contain the Oilers. Hit, hit, hit and try to get Skinner off his game by crashing the net. The question is, can they?

One thing for sure: PMo need to keep a rein on his guys. If they get in penalty trouble, Edmonton will bury them.
No issue with anything you said here. That post was in response to someone calling the Vancouver defense small relative to the Panthers.

Reactions: Just Rude

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Contrary to what my wife says, size doesn’t always matter.

Florida plays a lot bigger than they physically are. They are relentless. They led the league in hits in the regular season. The top three teams in hits were Atlantic (FLA, TOR, BOS). It’s not by coincidence.

Vancouver was fourth, Edmonton 16th. That said, it’s not really Edmonton’s style, nor should it be.

In the playoffs (Hits/60), it’s TB-LA-TOR-BOS-FLA, although the first three are small game sample sizes. Florida averages 4+ hits per game more than the Canucks in the playoffs, 12 more than Edmonton and 17 more than Dallas.

Like I said, bigger doesn’t always tell the whole story. Everyone knows how the Panthers are going to try to contain the Oilers. Hit, hit, hit and try to get Skinner off his game by crashing the net. The question is, can they?

One thing for sure: PMo need to keep a rein on his guys. If they get in penalty trouble, Edmonton will bury them.
The post was in response to a previous post calling the Vancouver defense small suggesting that the Oilers would have more trouble with the bigger Florida defense.

I love physical hockey. But you have to be a bit careful with hit numbers as a clear proxy for physicality. The two main issues being that hit counts vary significantly by venue and that hits are also often inversely correlated to possession. In this case however both Florida and Edmonton are league leaders in offensive zone time.

That said I am fully aware of the fact that Florida plays a physical game. But the Oilers can as well. A guy like McDavid for example actually seems to thrive in more physical games. It seems to get him going. Draisaitl is similar in that regard. Neither player shies away when games get more intense. Kane of course loves that kind of hockey. He is far more of a force when things get spirited than when the game is more passive.

Florida's forecheck is more noticeable than the Oilers but the Oilers are actually very good in that regard as well. One thing that has really changed for the Oilers though is the ability to manage the forecheck, in good part because of how well Ekholm and Bouchard deal with it. It's possible that Florida can throw them off but this is definitely not the same Oiler team from several years ago.

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
It's embarrassing that Lebrun would say that. Well, I'm not sure if it's embarrassing to say it, or embarrassing because it's true. The ability of a team to execute on the powerplay should have no impact whatsoever on whether or not penalties are called. Therefore, there should be no additional pressure on the referees. Just call the infractions on their own merit.

Maybe he's just saying the quiet part out loud.

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
Football is king in the Southern US. Both College and NFL.
College teams can draw really large crowds for inter-squad scrimmages during the preseason.
exactly. and if someone asked me as a news reporter to comment on football, I'd look like that guy on the news clip when he's trying to talk about hockey...I'd probably be asking if Dan Marino still plays....does he?

snag

Feb 22, 2014
exactly. and if someone asked me as a news reporter to comment on football, I'd look like that guy on the news clip when he's trying to talk about hockey...I'd probably be asking if Dan Marino still plays....does he?

Finding out Finkle was Einhorn did a real number on him.....

• Haha
Reactions: Juxta Position

Just Rude

"I'm listening to the *** song!!!"
Oct 15, 2005
The post was in response to a previous post calling the Vancouver defense small suggesting that the Oilers would have more trouble with the bigger Florida defense.

I love physical hockey. But you have to be a bit careful with hit numbers as a clear proxy for physicality. The two main issues being that hit counts vary significantly by venue and that hits are also often inversely correlated to possession. In this case however both Florida and Edmonton are league leaders in offensive zone time.

That said I am fully aware of the fact that Florida plays a physical game. But the Oilers can as well. A guy like McDavid for example actually seems to thrive in more physical games. It seems to get him going. Draisaitl is similar in that regard. Neither player shies away when games get more intense. Kane of course loves that kind of hockey. He is far more of a force when things get spirited than when the game is more passive.

Florida's forecheck is more noticeable than the Oilers but the Oilers are actually very good in that regard as well. One thing that has really changed for the Oilers though is the ability to manage the forecheck, in good part because of how well Ekholm and Bouchard deal with it. It's possible that Florida can throw them off but this is definitely not the same Oiler team from several years ago.
Can't disagree with any of this. There, I said it.

I don't think there will be fights (this is the SCF, after all) but I fully expect a lot shenanigans and after-the-whistle scrums.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Can someone actually provide evidence for this?

It's been stated numerous times but there hasn't been a single person who had actually backed it up.

Dallas had 10 players that reached 47 points. Florida had 5 players that reached 47 points(their next closest was Bennett with 41 points)

What are you basing your evidence on when it comes to Florida being deeper?
Which team has better defensive forwards or? You stated skilled as well, which I don't quite understand.
Florida fans keep saying this but I've yet to see any evidence as well. Dallas was third in the league this past season in terms of goals scored per game. EDM was 4th and Florida was 11th. What they have is their forecheck that everyone keeps saying is unstoppable.

snag

Feb 22, 2014

And that is a Fourier analysis that that I could understand. The ones in Uni killed more braincells than any of my extracurriculars. ;)

bigbadbruins1

Dec 12, 2008
This must be one of the longest layoffs between the CFs and SCFs. I don't recall a time where they were literally almost a full week after the last game was played.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad