SCF: Florida Panthers vs Edmonton Oilers (Series Tied 3-3) Hold onto your butts, Game 7, Monday 8/24 @ 8pm ET !

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
**Stanley Cup Final**
Florida Panthers vs Edmonton Oilers

IMG_6403.pngIMG_6404.png

IMG_6446.jpeg

Last edited:

Just Rude

"I'm listening to the *** song!!!"
Oct 15, 2005
Ok but.....tonight though, y'know?

Wide open.

Friday night.

One day earlier, so that us fans aren't sitting through five full days with zero hockey during the playoffs.
Because no way Sportsnet was giving up HNIC with a Canadian team playing.

True… but probably figured it’s only 1 more day and they wanted the Saturday HNIC lore.
Spiderman.jpg

Reactions: zar

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
TLDR:
Barkov is basically the same thing as Rope Hintz
Tanev was injured but it doesn't matter
McDavid is a god and will just skate around everyone
Who is forsling lol
FLA will lose because EDM beat VAN

There you don't need to come back until after game 1
Someone should have given you a TLDR before you posted that. All but a few posters are calling the series either way. What the majority of Oilers fans are arguing is that it will be a competitive series as opposed to the prophesied stomping of the Oilers that was foretold in the Book of the Cat.

I'd even say that a lot Panthers fans feel the same way, but there are a lot of randos with an axe to grind who have thrown off the tone of the thread. Case in point ^.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Actually, it's probably because they didn't want to go head to head with the NBA Finals, which started last night, and still wanted to keep the Saturday HNIC slot.

Either way, a massive miss by the league and the ratings will suffer. Just a completely unforgiveable f*** up. They've probably already lost a big part of their normal audience with this delay.

They should have started Tuesday or Wednesday and had Game 2 tomorrow. Not perfect, but better than this.
I know I was just joking. Yeh it’s the NBA finals.

Curious about the ratings though. It’s Florida so already a smaller market. But then there’s the McDavid effect which I don’t think is much of one for ratings.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
EDM when 7 games with a Vancouver team that has small d-core. I don't think people realize how dominate Fla. has been because elite goalies have kept others in games.

Edmonton struggled when Dallas on the forecheck when they started playing heavy below the blue line. If they can't handle Dallas doing that they have .000001 chance vs Fla.
Oh they handled Dallas in 6 games

Just Rude

Oct 15, 2005
I know I was just joking. Yeh it’s the NBA finals.

Curious about the ratings though. It’s Florida so already a smaller market. But then there’s the McDavid effect which I don’t think is much of one for ratings.
I think the Canada thing is big. Love or hate the Oilers, a lot of people are going to be watching. It's probably great news for Sportsnet, not so much for south of the border.

If you look at the final four, I think the only better matchup for viewership would have been NYR-EDM (all due respect to Miami). I get Dallas is a bigger market, but it's not only Edmonton. With a Canadian team in, a lot of Canada will be watching up here, IMO.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
In other words, you're standing by "...a Vancouver team that has small d-core"?
Things look smaller when you watch them from a long way away I guess.

Meyers 6' 8'' 229 lb
Zadorov 6'6'' 248 lb
Soucy 6'5'' 208 lb
Cole 6'1" 225 lb

Of course Hughes is small and Hronek is a bit undersized at 6' 190 lbs but is pretty close to the same size as Forsling. It's tough to see how you call the Canucks defense small.

Florida's defense:

Ekblad 6'4" 215 lbs
Forsling 6' 195 lbs
Mikkola 6'5 205 lbs
Montour 6' 199 lbs
Kulikov 6'1" 201 lbs
OEL 6'2" 191 lbs

Monsters!!!!

Here is Edmonton defense by comparison:

Bouchard 6'3" 193 lbs
Ekholm 6'5" 225 lbs
Nurse 6'4'' 215 lbs
Ceci 6'3" 210 lbs
Kulak 6'2" 192 lbs
Borberg 6'4" 212 lbs
Desharnais 6'7" 226 lbs

Edmonton is actually the bigger team overall, including forwards. This narrative about the size of the Panthers being something the Oilers can't handle is puzzling. Sure they work hard but I don't see any physical advantage for the Panthers that the Oilers should not be able to manage.

Last edited:

snag

Feb 22, 2014

Meyers 6' 8'' 229 lb
Zadorov 6'6'' 248 lb
Soucy 6'5'' 208 lb
Cole 6'1" 225 lb

Of course Hughes is small and Hronek is a bit undersized 6' 190 lbs at but is pretty close to the same size as Forsling. It's tough to see how you call the Canucks defense small.

Florida's defense:

Ekblad 6'4" 215 lbs
Forsling 6' 195 lbs
Mikkola 6'5 205 lbs
Montour 6' 199 lbs
Kulikov 6'1" 201 lbs
OEL 6'2" 191 lbs

Monsters!!!!

Bouchard 6'3" 193 lbs
Ekholm 6'5" 225 lbs
Nurse 6'4'' 215 lbs
Ceci 6'3" 210 lbs
Kulak 6'2" 192 lbs
Borberg 6'4" 212 lbs
Desharnais 6'7" 226 lbs

Edmonton is actually the bigger team overall, including forwards. This narrative about the size of the Panthers being something the Oilers can't handle is puzzling. Sure the work hard but I don't see any physical advantage for the Panthers that the Oilers should not be able to manage.

And every single one of them could kick my ass! lol

• Haha

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I think the Canada thing is big. Love or hate the Oilers, a lot of people are going to be watching. It's probably great news for Sportsnet, not so much for south of the border.

If you look at the final four, I think the only better matchup for viewership would have been NYR-EDM (all due respect to Miami). I get Dallas is a bigger market, but it's not only Edmonton. With a Canadian team in, a lot of Canada will be watching up here, IMO.
Yeh I agree with that. Canada ratings should be high. Lots of storylines with that to drive interest. US however, not sure how it goes, probably not great though.

Reactions: Just Rude

Just Rude

Oct 15, 2005
And Greg Cote, a sports columnist with the Miami Herald, says McDavid is over-rated lol
Sheer stupidity. You can tell Cote isn't much of a hockey guy. When McDavid's career is done, he and Gretzky will be 1-2 all time (order TBD). All he's missing is a ring or two.

It's going to be tough for anyone to dethrone 99, but if anyone can do it, it's 97.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Sheer stupidity. You can tell Cote isn't much of a hockey guy. When McDavid's career is done, he and Gretzky will be 1-2 all time (order TBD). All he's missing is a ring or two.

It's going to be tough for anyone to dethrone 99, but if anyone can do it, it's 97.

Just curious, what would put him ahead of Mario in your opinion? Just longevity?

snag

Feb 22, 2014

And he looks like Steve Bannon to boot lol

• Haha

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Manitoba

Meyers 6' 8'' 229 lb
Zadorov 6'6'' 248 lb
Soucy 6'5'' 208 lb
Cole 6'1" 225 lb

Of course Hughes is small and Hronek is a bit undersized 6' 190 lbs at but is pretty close to the same size as Forsling. It's tough to see how you call the Canucks defense small.

Florida's defense:

Ekblad 6'4" 215 lbs
Forsling 6' 195 lbs
Mikkola 6'5 205 lbs
Montour 6' 199 lbs
Kulikov 6'1" 201 lbs
OEL 6'2" 191 lbs

Monsters!!!!

Bouchard 6'3" 193 lbs
Ekholm 6'5" 225 lbs
Nurse 6'4'' 215 lbs
Ceci 6'3" 210 lbs
Kulak 6'2" 192 lbs
Borberg 6'4" 212 lbs
Desharnais 6'7" 226 lbs

Edmonton is actually the bigger team overall, including forwards. This narrative about the size of the Panthers being something the Oilers can't handle is puzzling. Sure they work hard but I don't see any physical advantage for the Panthers that the Oilers should not be able to manage.
It all goes back to the narrative that the Oilers are just a finesse, offensive team. People still can't wrap their heads around they are solid defensively, and actually have a fair bit or grit & toughness on that roster.

While we're on the topic. I believe we will see the best version of Evander Kane in the SCF, I don't think there's a player that will benefit more from the time off due to some of the nagging injuries he's had.

If that Panthers want to play a snarly & physical series, I'm sure the Oilers are more than okay with that.

Reactions: Kerberos

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
Fri Night, Sunday 3 pm .. what I would have gone with but I assume the nerds in suits with spreadsheets figured out what is mathematically the best ROI.

AI probably does it actually .. crazy how AI is a thing now, so suddenly.

Just Rude

Oct 15, 2005
Just curious, what would put him ahead of Mario in your opinion? Just longevity?
I don't know, TBH. Gretz and Mario were 1 and 1A in my opinion (not factoring in Orr, Howe, etc...). I just think McDavid has another gear that not many others have. The old saying was Gretzky had that sixth sense. He knew where the puck was going before it even hit his stick. I see some of that in McDavid.

Mario was a lot like that as well, with size. I just think McDavid will be viewed as "better" when his career his done. His speed is incredible. He doesn't have another gear. He has like six. Not an Oiler fan, as I am sure you can conclude, but I love the game. Could watch him all day.

Personal opinion only. Different eras, always hard to compare. But that '87 Canada Cup should be a mandatory must-watch for any hockey fan. What Mario and Gretzky did against the Russians is pure legend.

Last edited:
Reactions: FiveFourteenSixOne

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
It all goes back to the narrative that the Oilers are just a finesse, offensive team. People still can't wrap their heads around they are solid defensively, and actually have a fair bit or grit & toughness on that roster.

While we're on the topic. I believe we will see the best version of Evander Kane in the SCF, I don't think there's a player that will benefit more from the time off due to some of the nagging injuries he's had.

If that Panthers want to play a snarly & physical series, I'm sure the Oilers are more than okay with that.
We heard similar things about the 80's Oilers as well. In the end that team could beat you in the alley as well as on the rink if needed.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Florida fans remind me of this Simpson clips

Hey that’s the exact same call I made before the Dallas series:

“I can tell by the quiver in Benn’s voice that he doesn’t believe what he’s saying. The guys in the room always pick up on stuff like that too. This lack of leadership by the Stars will be their eventual downfall.“

Reactions: ZJuice

Just Rude

Oct 15, 2005

Meyers 6' 8'' 229 lb
Zadorov 6'6'' 248 lb
Soucy 6'5'' 208 lb
Cole 6'1" 225 lb

Of course Hughes is small and Hronek is a bit undersized at 6' 190 lbs but is pretty close to the same size as Forsling. It's tough to see how you call the Canucks defense small.

Florida's defense:

Ekblad 6'4" 215 lbs
Forsling 6' 195 lbs
Mikkola 6'5 205 lbs
Montour 6' 199 lbs
Kulikov 6'1" 201 lbs
OEL 6'2" 191 lbs

Monsters!!!!

Bouchard 6'3" 193 lbs
Ekholm 6'5" 225 lbs
Nurse 6'4'' 215 lbs
Ceci 6'3" 210 lbs
Kulak 6'2" 192 lbs
Borberg 6'4" 212 lbs
Desharnais 6'7" 226 lbs

Contrary to what my wife says, size doesn’t always matter.

Florida plays a lot bigger than they physically are. They are relentless. They led the league in hits in the regular season. The top three teams in hits were Atlantic (FLA, TOR, BOS). It’s not by coincidence.

Vancouver was fourth, Edmonton 16th. That said, it’s not really Edmonton’s style, nor should it be.

In the playoffs (Hits/60), it’s TB-LA-TOR-BOS-FLA, although the first three are small game sample sizes. Florida averages 4+ hits per game more than the Canucks in the playoffs, 12 more than Edmonton and 17 more than Dallas.

Like I said, bigger doesn’t always tell the whole story. Everyone knows how the Panthers are going to try to contain the Oilers. Hit, hit, hit and try to get Skinner off his game by crashing the net. The question is, can they?

One thing for sure: PMo need to keep a rein on his guys. If they get in penalty trouble, Edmonton will bury them.

zar

Bleed Blue
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Personally I don't give a shit if this hurts the NHL's ratings, that's not my problem. If the delay helps my team get rested and healed so they're at their best, that's all I care about.

Personally, I feel the Oilers benefit more with the extra rest. Their top guys have played more minutes and it gives Kane, Nurse and Ekholm (all reported to be dealing with injuries) extra days to heal up. Also, if you’ve ever seen McDavid play after coming off a rest… be prepared for a show.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Personally, I feel the Oilers benefit more with the extra rest. Their top guys have played more minutes and it gives Kane, Nurse and Ekholm (all reported to be dealing with injuries) extra days to heal up. Also, if you’ve ever seen McDavid play after coming off a rest… be prepared for a show.

As long as McDavid and Drai are at or close to 100% they could start this shit in July for all I care, it's not my money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad