SCF: Florida Panthers vs Edmonton Oilers (Series Tied 3-3) Hold onto your butts, Game 7, Monday 8/24 @ 8pm ET !

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
**Stanley Cup Final**
Florida Panthers vs Edmonton Oilers

IMG_6403.pngIMG_6404.png

IMG_6446.jpeg

Last edited:

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Well if you get 10 total shots in a conference final game 6 at home which is the most important game of the season until that point, it certainly is big enough sample size to make some assessments - the Oilers are not as structured team as many here claim them to be. Does it matter? Probably, but you still have the best player in the world on your team.

I think there's a lot of stuff going right for Edmonton at this moment, but for how long? Their special teams success is not sustainable. Skinner's play is probably not sustainable, or Bouchard's. I don't think these arguments apply to the Panthers, they have played up and down the lineup very consistent and structured hockey, with no dead weights or liabilities on the team.
Not really. We were playing with a 2 goal lead and Dallas was playing to save their season. We employed the same lock down defence strategy in a 1-0 Win against the Kings earlier these playoffs that you didn’t watch, so therefore could never have considered in your 1 game sample assessment. We do have the best player on the team, and the second best, and more.

Why isn’t special teams success sustainable. The oilers PP is the best in league history over a 3 year sample. Our PK has been best in the playoffs against 3 very different PP units. Bouchard isn’t really on a heater either, this is who he is.

cotopaxi

Feb 2, 2015
Not really. We were playing with a 2 goal lead and Dallas was playing to save their season. We employed the same lock down defence strategy in a 1-0 Win against the Kings earlier these playoffs that you didn’t watch, so therefore could never have considered in your 1 game sample assessment. We do have the best player on the team, and the second best, and more.

Why isn’t special teams success sustainable. The oilers PP is the best in league history over a 3 year sample. Our PK has been best in the playoffs against 3 very different PP units. Bouchard isn’t really on a heater either, this is who he is.
I highly doubt that was a strategy for them, Dallas controlled the play from the puck drop. Even if it was, I wouldn't exactly consider it a winning strategy against the Panthers.

The Oilers PP% is something like 10 percentage points higher than what it was in the regular season? That's why I don't think it's sustainable, not to even mention their PK.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I highly doubt that was a strategy for them, Dallas controlled the play from the puck drop. Even if it was, I wouldn't exactly consider it a winning strategy against the Panthers.

The Oilers PP% is something like 10 percentage points higher than what it was in the regular season? That's why I don't think it's sustainable, not to even mention their PK.
Ideally you’d push more. But the Stars were in extreme desperation mode and just came off 2 games of getting dominated in that same fashion. The oilers gave a fall back strategy of being able to weather the storm. Which they’ve used to get wins in all 3 series.

And the Oilers are playing about 10% or more better in the playoffs than they do in the regular season. As most playoff teams do. Regardless the PP percentage reflects an elite PP that has proven itself for almost 3 years now. Underestimate if you want though.

Reactions: cotopaxi

Kerberos

Hound of Hades
Nov 4, 2021
Well if you get 10 total shots in a conference final game 6 at home which is the most important game of the season until that point, it certainly is big enough sample size to make some assessments - the Oilers are not as structured team as many here claim them to be. Does it matter? Probably, but you still have the best player in the world on your team.

I think there's a lot of stuff going right for Edmonton at this moment, but for how long? Their special teams success is not sustainable. Skinner's play is probably not sustainable, or Bouchard's. I don't think these arguments apply to the Panthers, they have played up and down the lineup very consistent and structured hockey, with no dead weights or liabilities on the team.

This is an absolutely ridiculous post filled with ignorant takes and somebody who clearly hasn't watched the Oilers play this postseason. You're using one game, in which the Oilers turtled, as the basis of your inherently flawed argument. That's a big enough sample size to pin your arbitrary argument on but the other 5 games in the series aren't? The other 17 games the Oilers have played in the playoffs aren't? The Oilers are a structured team. Every metric bears this out. Your arbitrary takes are just that, not facts.

As for sustainability, the Oilers' PP has been sustainable for going on 3 years now. Another bad take for you. The Oilers' PK has 28 kills in a row. Sustainable enough. Skinner's play isn't sustainable? Because you say so? He was terrible last playoffs and horrible up until being yanked against Vancouver but has been playing great hockey since then. Not exceptional, just great. He's providing solid goaltending in combination with the Oilers' structured defensive game which is more than sustainable.

As for your take on Bouchard... it just garners an lol. Watch the guy play hockey before offering this foolishness in an attempt to tear down the Oilers and give them no credit whatsoever.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

This same Oilers unit is at 35% over the last 3 playoffs combined. If you don't think they can sustain that over the next 4-7 games I'd think you've never actually watched it operate. Without any hyperbole, it's the best PP unit of all time.

And besides that point. The Oilers don't need to rock a ~37% PP to beat Florida. Edmonton has spent 3 straight rounds playing against elite 5v5 teams and handled them all just fine. This is Florida's first taste against another elite 5v5 team. Up until now they've been playing against bottom 1/2 teams in the league at 5v5.

Last edited:

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
The Oilers blue line will be fine, one of the best in the NHL at handling pressure and making plays under pressure. And with the size to absorb hits as well to make a play.

Stark difference to the NY rangers blue line. Where guys like Lindgren and Fox would piss their pants at the first sight of a Cat. And Trouba would flub passes even without pressure, cause he just plain sucks.
Great analogy of both teams blue lines.
Accurate depiction

I'm ready for puck drop. Puck drop I say. Drop the puck for the love of the Gods.
Warning: Some of these fellers need a set of Levis.

7510214.jpg
lmao 🤣

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton

Again you need to go back further to get the whole picture. Examine the team post KK. It’s night and day to how they started. When Woodcroft was canned the team had a 76% PK. This was 18 games into the season. From that time forward the Oilers were the Number one team in almost every metric in the league. The Panthers were number 2. This is going to be a hell of a series and people not taking this seriously or saying the Oilers will be lucky to win a game. (Not you I know) are in for a treat. GL GO OILERS

Reactions: cotopaxi

Two4Fighting

Oct 17, 2007
Panthers having home ice is trouble..would have rather start on the road

We need to steal one at home, maybe get a split the first two games, then take care of business on the road.

If it gets to 7, we are toast.
Absolutely, Panthers play better on the road.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Too long of a wait before game 1, kills playoff buzz and excitement, should start 3 days after the 2nd team advances to the finals.

NHL Season opener October 10
NBA Season opener October 24

NHL Finals Game 1 June 8
NBA Finals Game 1 June 6

Panthers Propaganda

We're a team
Oct 28, 2015
Canada
Interesting fact that I am sure has been brought up - if Florida loses this series, they'll be the first team in 46 years to lose consecutive cup finals, when there were only 18 teams.

Based on my math, teams who are playing in the Cup finals that played in the final the prior year are a combined 16-3 since 1976.
It would be pretty on brand for us to be one of the few to mess this up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad