SCF: Florida Panthers vs Edmonton Oilers (Series Tied 3-3) Hold onto your butts, Game 7, Monday 8/24 @ 8pm ET !

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
**Stanley Cup Final**
Florida Panthers vs Edmonton Oilers

IMG_6403.pngIMG_6404.png

IMG_6446.jpeg

Last edited:

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
Dallas beat way better teams than Florida did though
Like that matters in any substantial way?
The only way that could possibly matter is... Perhaps that’s why you beat Dallas, because they were worn out by the hard pathway through better teams just to reach Edmonton :sarcasm:

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
how many of those teams were ever considered to be contenders?
revisionist.

Boston tanked to avoid Tampa because they were coming in hot. They were being touted on how good they looked. So we are just going to pretend just because they werent called "contenders" they were insignificant?

Then Boston was only 1 point behind us and New York was the president's trophy winners.

Ill let you make that distinction.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
revisionist.

Boston tanked to avoid Tampa because they were coming in hot. They were being touted on how good they looked. So we are just going to pretend just because they werent called "contenders" they were insignificant?

Then Boston was only 1 point behind us and New York was the president's trophy winners.

Boston wanted Toronto for a good reason. Free pass to round two.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
The way the Avs tore Winnipeg a new one scared me. They completely tore us apart two years ago. Dallas deserves a ton of credit for beating them. Yeah losing Nichuskin certainly helps but still.

What's funny is the Avalanche are basically exactly what everyone here accuses the Oilers of being - basically a one line team that lives or dies with the play of about two players.

They just don't get the credit for it because people don't have the same zest for explaining away their success like they do with the Oilers.

Reactions: Ratsreign

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
These teams are way closer than I thought. The record in the last 72 games.

(Steve Dangle Podcast - Leaf fans know him quite well lol)

View attachment 879515

This is why I laugh with all the analysts and lots of people here calling an easy sweep for the Panthers. If you want two juggernaut teams as close to even as possible in the finals, this is it.

millax

Dec 24, 2005
What I love about these pre-series threads is everyone is talking with authority on who is better and which teams had a tougher path to the finals etc.

Both teams have won 12 games.
Both teams have enough depth to win three playoff series.
Both teams have what it takes to win the cup.

This series is going to be defined by things none of us know yet. A key player may get hurt for one of the teams early in the series. A bad penalty might get called late in a game gifting a team a win. The "incredible forecheck" of the Panthers may not look so incredible against the Oilers. The "incredible penalty kill" of the Oilers might not look so incredible against the Panthers.

What I am pumped about is we have two teams with INCREDIBLE high end talent that are going to go out and try to win a Stanley Cup.

The bounces are going to bounce. The ice is going to tilt back and forth. At the end of the series only one team is going to be holding the cup. Hopefully it is my team - but I am not going to be talking smack about the Panthers before or after the series. They are a great team that deserves to be here - and so are the Oilers.

Jan 13, 2023
Like that matters in any substantial way?
The only way that could possibly matter is... Perhaps that’s why you beat Dallas, because they were worn out by the hard pathway through better teams just to reach Edmonton :sarcasm:
below
We heard the same about Dallas...We heard the same about Dallas...We heard the same about Dallas. Same regurgitated comment over and over.

revisionist.

Boston farmed OT losses and had one of the worst 1-2 punches in the playoffs.. nobody was raving about how good they looked

New York was considered to be a threat, but their President's Trophy win was the most unimpressive of the last eight years

Both teams would have been dismantled in the West

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
He didn’t have to stand on his head like the opposition did, but he came up big when he was needed. What more can you ask for? :dunno:
Should the Panthers play suckier so their goalie can look better?
Why do you keep straw manning my posts lol. I'm not even criticizing Bob, I've just stated he hasn't been unbeatable in these playoffs. I'm well aware Florida is an excellent 5 on 5 team and even gave them credit in the first post of mine you quoted. This is a weird interaction you're trying to have.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
This is why I laugh with all the analysts and lots of people here calling an easy sweep for the Panthers. If you want two juggernaut teams as close to even as possible in the finals, this is it.

Yeah, idk, kind of surprises me how many people have been surprised by the Oilers this post season.

It's like. Even with the atrocious start... Like we were literally an analytic darling wagon last year that Vegas said was their biggest challenge and made analytic darling saw em good changes in the offseason.

Then we were the top team analytically all season, even during the 3-9-1 disaster start, and if you take away the disaster start where we had historically impossibly low PDP that started with an 8... we went 87% of the season where we were statistically a top tier team.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
The Panthers last playoffs to this playoffs is night and day. They are a MUCH better team defensively, have brought in better personnel to shore up the defense and bottom six, which is why they have not had to rely on Bob as much. When they have though, he has been money for the most part.

Cool story. And the Panthers had to go against Vasilevskiy, Swayman, then Igor. Murderers row that no team in the West had to face.
I mean I already said Florida was a top 5 team at 5 on 5 and that NYR were the odd team out in the final 4. Not sure why you guys are so insistent on trying to convince me that they're a very good defensive team when I've already acknowledged that. Are all Florida fans this persistent to make something out of nothing?

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
Why do you keep straw manning my posts lol. I'm not even criticizing Bob, I've just stated he hasn't been unbeatable in these playoffs. I'm well aware Florida is an excellent 5 on 5 team and even gave them credit in the first post of mine you quoted. This is a weird interaction you're trying to have.
You said Bob was “outplayed”, you tried to imply that he hasn’t been all that good this year. Twice.

drktmplr12

Feb 28, 2018
Florida
Danault, Kopitar, Gavrikov, Miller, Hughes, Zadorov, Soucy, Tanev, Heiskanen, Hintz.. I think.
Of those forwards, which are a caliber of 2 way forward as barkov?

Forsling is also one of, if not, the best in the league at suppressing rushes through the neutral zone

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
What I love about these pre-series threads is everyone is talking with authority on who is better and which teams had a tougher path to the finals etc.

Both teams have won 12 games.
Both teams have enough depth to win three playoff series.
Both teams have what it takes to win the cup.

This series is going to be defined by things none of us know yet. A key player may get hurt for one of the teams early in the series. A bad penalty might get called late in a game gifting a team a win. The "incredible forecheck" of the Panthers may not look so incredible against the Oilers. The "incredible penalty kill" of the Oilers might not look so incredible against the Panthers.

What I am pumped about is we have two teams with INCREDIBLE high end talent that are going to go out and try to win a Stanley Cup.

The bounces are going to bounce. The ice is going to tilt back and forth. At the end of the series only one team is going to be holding the cup. Hopefully it is my team - but I am not going to be talking smack about the Panthers before or after the series. They are a great team that deserves to be here - and so are the Oilers.

Amen.

The lengths people are going to argue over which team is "deeper" or who had the hardest path are wasting their breath. It's totally irrelevant.

These are two elite teams that both have various different strengths and weaknesses that will probably engage in a tight series. Nonsense like "duhhh Oilers have no depth!" or "The Panthers had an easy path!" are both individually stupid statements.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
below

Boston farmed OT losses and had one of the worst 1-2 punches in the playoffs.. nobody was raving about how good they looked

New York was considered to be a threat, but their President's Trophy win was the most unimpressive of the last eight years

Both teams would have been dismantled in the West
What exactly does that have to do with now? Not a damn thing. Panthers beat whoever the playoff bracket put in front of them. You are trying to use this as some kind of indicator of who is a better team, it’s silly. And I’ll say again, if you want to find something in each team’s path taken, maybe Dallas’ hard road is what softened them up enough for the oil to win.

Jan 13, 2023
Of those forwards, which are a caliber of 2 way forward as barkov?

Forsling is also one of, if not, the best in the league at suppressing rushes through the neutral zone
What are you grading Barkov and Forsling on? How good they are at shutting down a bunch of career sub ppg playoff choke artists (excluding Kucherov)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad