SCF: Florida Panthers vs Edmonton Oilers (Series Tied 3-3) Hold onto your butts, Game 7, Monday 8/24 @ 8pm ET !

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
**Stanley Cup Final**
Florida Panthers vs Edmonton Oilers

IMG_6403.pngIMG_6404.png

IMG_6446.jpeg

Last edited:

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Circuit Circus
I don’t really know enough about the Stars to say either way.
I'd like to think Panthers and Oiler fans don't know much about either team.
I already showed one Panther fan that our numbers are closer than he thought defensively and we excel more offensively (PP and ES).

sportsdynasty

Mar 31, 2011
www.nhltraderumors.me
Oilers have better defensemen than the Panthers. Bouchard-Ekholm has been the best pairing in the playoffs. In net, Skinner has shown he can steal playoff games. For forwards, the Oilers have at least 3 lines that can score.

The Oilers could beat the Panthers as they are the better team.

It's very difficult to see how the Oilers have any chance against Florida, outside of McDavid and Draisaitl the Panthers are the better team in every aspect. Florida's depth and overall roster is much more balanced than Oilers' and I don't think they have a single line that would be better than the corresponding Florida line, excluding if they decide to play Drai together with McDavid.

Florida has managed to shut down every superstar so far in their playoff run; Kucherov zero goals, Pastrnak 1 goal, Marchand zero goals, Panarin 1 goal, so why would you think they can't contain McDavid and Draisaitl as well.

Also the Panthers system and style of play is perfect against a team like the Oilers, where they'll play a very structured HARD forechecking game with all four lines rolling at you constantly, and they've played that system for two full years now so it really is their identity.

The Oilers might have a chance if they get to play on the PP alot, but Florida took 3 minor penalties per game against the Rangers so it's not like they actually take a ton penalties like some think, and they've definitely cleaned it up a lot compared to the regular season.

I would not be surprised to see the Panthers sweep this series but my best guess is Florida wins 4-1.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: sanscosm and pb1300

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
The legend of Bobrovsky this year is also overblown. He's been very solid, but people are acting like he's been a stand out
Outperformed? The Panthers were caving their teams in, and those goalies played their asses off. Meanwhile Bob was sitting back there chilling like Brodeur a lot of the time, and then he would be called upon to make some big stops in a tied or one goal game. He always was there when needed. Holding it against Bob because the Panthers forced the opponents goalies to stand on their head, while keeping the shots on him low is disingenuous, at best.
Bob has been solid all playoffs, except the one game vs TB he wasn’t at his sharpest.

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
Oilers had only 10 shots against Dallas in game 6. I expect the same trend to continue against Florida, which outshot and outplayed everyone of their opponents so far 5v5 and they did it consistently game after game. If it wasn't for Shesterkin the Panthers would've swept the Rangers. They also solved Swayman and Vasilevsky so Skinner and the Oilers are going to be facing a massive challenge.
You honestly think that a complete outlier based on score effects is a trend?

The Oilers average almost 29 shots per game. The 10 shot game isn't indicative of anything.

Reactions: WaitingForUser

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Agreed. I dont understand the sentiment that Oiler fans are underestimating the Panthers. This seems to be the general consensus from what I've seen.

I think Oil fans are just getting tired of being written off as a 2 man team that will be crushed by a "real team"

I didn't blame them for thinking that about this team.

How could you look at this Oilers club and not get excited by superstars like Connor Brown and Mattias Janmark? That goal they scored changed that Dallas series.

And while we truly are in the Brownmark era, this isn't just a two man team. We also have Derek f***ing Ryan, the storming Mormon himself.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
I'd like to think Panthers and Oiler fans don't know much about either team.
I already showed one Panther fan that our numbers are closer than he thought defensively and we excel more offensively (PP and ES).
Maurice said it best yesterday press meeting.
They are much better defensively than they get credit for....
and we’re much better offensively than people realize.
(Paraphrasing his words).

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Circuit Circus
Maurice said it best yesterday press meeting.
They are much better defensively than they get credit for....
and we’re much better offensively than people realize.
(Paraphrasing his words).
Which is why most sane people give this a 6-7 game series going either way.
One thing I learned about cheering for this team and is never be cocky.

So whatever happens, happens.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Outperformed? The Panthers were caving their teams in, and those goalies played their asses off. Meanwhile Bob was sitting back there chilling like Brodeur a lot of the time, and then he would be called upon to make some big stops in a tied or one goal game. He always was there when needed. Holding it against Bob because the Panthers forced the opponents goalies to stand on their head, while keeping the shots on him low is disingenuous, at best.
Bob has been solid all playoffs, except the one game vs TB he wasn’t at his sharpest.
It's funny because the Oilers and Panthers defense are very similar in that regard. They limit shots against but allow a normal amount of high danger chances, which means that SV% will suffer. But that explanation work for Skinner (especially in the Van series), not Bob. Or maybe people don't know this about us, but the number of breakaway we allow should clue them in haha

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Circuit Circus
Or maybe people don't know this about us, but the number of breakaway we allow should clue them in haha
I read something about you guys giving the Rangers a lot of breakaways or something?

But, seriously, some people really need to chill and learn to respect people’s privacy.
In this day and age when morons are raised by other morons on social media? Good luck, Rats.

• Haha
Reactions: Ratsreign

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
It's very difficult to see how the Oilers have any chance against Florida, outside of McDavid and Draisaitl the Panthers are the better team in every aspect. Florida's depth and overall roster is much more balanced than Oilers' and I don't think they have a single line that would be better than the corresponding Florida line, excluding if they decide to play Drai together with McDavid.

Florida has managed to shut down every superstar so far in their playoff run; Kucherov zero goals, Pastrnak 1 goal, Marchand zero goals, Panarin 1 goal, so why would you think they can't contain McDavid and Draisaitl as well.

Also the Panthers system and style of play is perfect against a team like the Oilers, where they'll play a very structured HARD forechecking game with all four lines rolling at you constantly, and they've played that system for two full years now so it really is their identity.

The Oilers might have a chance if they get to play on the PP alot, but Florida took 3 minor penalties per game against the Rangers so it's not like they actually take a ton penalties like some think, and they've definitely cleaned it up a lot compared to the regular season.

I would not be surprised to see the Panthers sweep this series but my best guess is Florida wins 4-1.

Been Groundhog Day with this dumb and inaccurate narrative every series so far.

Reactions: Coffey

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Not holding anything against Bob he's played well as I said. But he hasn't stood on his head like Swayman, Shesty or Otter did for large parts of the playoffs and the stats and advanced stats support that. Last playoffs Bob stood on his head at that level.

Reactions: SavoieSeason

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
People said the same thing about dallas' depth and balance going into the series and the oilers adjusted well. Florida is a more physical team but they have worse goaltending and arguably worst D than the stars (more depth but less topend talent). The oilers have a chance to really expose Florida's top 4 this series which I think they'll do. Barkov will be a big boost defensively but they'll take advantage while he's off the ice.

Kucherov had 7 points in 5 games so I wouldn't call that shutting him down and shutting down the best player in the world is a different task. Heiskanen had a fantastic series and was the best star player, but Mcdavid still potted 10 points in 6 games.

We heard the same about Dallas...We heard the same about Dallas...We heard the same about Dallas. Same regurgitated comment over and over. Its a common theme from people who have no clue about the Panthers. And thats crazy, because the games are so early for people on the west side of the continent.

Florida is healthy, especially on defense, which Dallas was not. The Panthers were the best defensive team in the league, and that has continued in the playoffs. Their defense as a core is better than the Stars.

The Panthers up front are also more defense than just Barkov. They have have a couple of excellent defensive lines, as well as a 4th line that is able to play 10-12 minutes a night, play well defensively, hit like a truck, and able to pot a puck here and there. There is no weakness with this team.

And in what world was Oettinger better than Bob?

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Cats quickly becoming the most overrated team since the Stars

Depth! Balance.

The Panthers definitely have both, but so do the Oilers which people can't seem to bring themselves to acknowledge.

I'll repeat - "depth" and "balance" aren't the determining factors this late in the playoffs. Both teams are deep, both teams have balance. This is what wins the series:

- Which team's elites out play the other team's elites 5v5 in what is usually a head to head matchup

- Which team wins the special teams battle

- Which team gets the better goaltending

Everything else is pretty much just noise. Look back at any series this playoff and the winner almost always has at least 2/3 of the above.

Jan 13, 2023
We heard the same about Dallas...We heard the same about Dallas...We heard the same about Dallas. Same regurgitated comment over and over. Its a common theme from people who have no clue about the Panthers. And thats crazy, because the games are so early for people on the west side of the continent.

Florida is healthy, especially on defense, which Dallas was not. The Panthers were the best defensive team in the league, and that has continued in the playoffs. Their defense as a core is better than the Stars.

The Panthers up front are also more defense than just Barkov. They have have a couple of excellent defensive lines, as well as a 4th line that is able to play 10-12 minutes a night, play well defensively, hit like a truck, and able to pot a puck here and there. There is no weakness with this team.

And in what world was Oettinger better than Bob?
Dallas beat way better teams than Florida did though

Reactions: gretzkyoilers
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad