SCF: Florida Panthers vs Edmonton Oilers (Series Tied 3-3) Hold onto your butts, Game 7, Monday 8/24 @ 8pm ET !

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
**Stanley Cup Final**
Florida Panthers vs Edmonton Oilers

IMG_6403.pngIMG_6404.png

IMG_6446.jpeg

Last edited:

gretzkyoilers

Apr 17, 2012
No love for Hyman, Nuge, Holloway who have all been excellent? Or how Bouch-Ek have been the best d-pairing in the playoffs?

I mean, yes, a LOT of it will depend on McDrai, but this not a 2 man team.
Also add that many 3rd and 4th liners players stepped up in a huge way recently: McLeod, Brown, Janmark, and the addition of Broberg were HUGE in the Dallas series; I would say series changing in fact. If Skinner stays hot and the defensive system remains, I'd say this will be tight...

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Florida was the last team I would want to face from the eastern conference. They're built for the playoffs with a goalie that's proven he can steal a series plus they're hungry from losing last year. I saw a stat on twitter showing that no team in NHL history has lost back to back finals. I believe in the Oilers but this is going to be a huge challenge.

BurnabyJoe7

Not an Avalanche fan
Apr 12, 2019
It's very difficult to see how the Oilers have any chance against Florida, outside of McDavid and Draisaitl the Panthers are the better team in every aspect. Florida's depth and overall roster is much more balanced than Oilers' and I don't think they have a single line that would be better than the corresponding Florida line, excluding if they decide to play Drai together with McDavid.

Florida has managed to shut down every superstar so far in their playoff run; Kucherov zero goals, Pastrnak 1 goal, Marchand zero goals, Panarin 1 goal, so why would you think they can't contain McDavid and Draisaitl as well.

Also the Panthers system and style of play is perfect against a team like the Oilers, where they'll play a very structured HARD forechecking game with all four lines rolling at you constantly, and they've played that system for two full years now so it really is their identity.

The Oilers might have a chance if they get to play on the PP alot, but Florida took 3 minor penalties per game against the Rangers so it's not like they actually take a ton penalties like some think, and they've definitely cleaned it up a lot compared to the regular season.

I would not be surprised to see the Panthers sweep this series but my best guess is Florida wins 4-1.
People said the same thing about dallas' depth and balance going into the series and the oilers adjusted well. Florida is a more physical team but they have worse goaltending and arguably worst D than the stars (more depth but less topend talent). The oilers have a chance to really expose Florida's top 4 this series which I think they'll do. Barkov will be a big boost defensively but they'll take advantage while he's off the ice.

Kucherov had 7 points in 5 games so I wouldn't call that shutting him down and shutting down the best player in the world is a different task. Heiskanen had a fantastic series and was the best star player, but Mcdavid still potted 10 points in 6 games.

• Haha
Reactions: thefutures

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
Florida was the last team I would want to face from the eastern conference. They're built for the playoffs with a goalie that's proven he can steal a series plus they're hungry from losing last year. I saw a stat on twitter showing that no team in NHL history has lost back to back finals. I believe in the Oilers but this is going to be a huge challenge.

Agreed. I dont understand the sentiment that Oiler fans are underestimating the Panthers. This seems to be the general consensus from what I've seen.

I think Oil fans are just getting tired of being written off as a 2 man team that will be crushed by a "real team"

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Plenty of teams have lost back to back finals lmao, Blues lost 3 straight from 68-70

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I am enjoying how the narrative is shifting so much now that Dallas wasn't actually that good despite everyone hyping them up before the Oilers series. The truth of the matter is the Oilers, Stars, and Panthers were all top 5 teams at 5 on 5 in the regular season, and NYR were the outlier being a bottom 1/3 5 on 5 team this season. I keep hearing the Oilers are going to go up a weight class, but its really more so Florida who is about to go up a weight class as NYR were clearly the weakest team remaining of the final 4 propped up by the best goalie remaining in the playoffs.

The legend of Bobrovsky this year is also overblown. He's been very solid, but people are acting like he's been a stand out in these plays and he hasn't (last year he was). He's been outperformed by Shesty, Swayman and Otter in these playoffs.

This should be a very good series between two top tier teams.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
Kucherov had 7 points in 5 games so I wouldn't call that shutting him down
Zero goals and seven assists. 3 of which came in the one game that TB won. One A in each of the other games. They put the clamps on Kucherov, as much as anyone has. He wasn’t really a factor in 4 of the 5 games. Stats can always be a bit misleading.
Certainly McDavid and the Oilers are an even bigger challenge for the Panthers.

Oh, & Bob isn’t worse than Oettinger.

cotopaxi

Feb 2, 2015
People said the same thing about dallas' depth and balance going into the series and the oilers adjusted well. Florida is a more physical team but they have worse goaltending and arguably worst D than the stars (more depth but less topend talent). The oilers have a chance to really expose Florida's top 4 this series which I think they'll do. Barkov will be a big boost defensively but they'll take advantage while he's off the ice.

Kucherov had 7 points in 5 games so I wouldn't call that shutting him down and shutting down the best player in the world is a different task. Heiskanen had a fantastic series and was the best star player, but Mcdavid still potted 10 points in 6 games.
Florida defence is MUCH better than the that of the Stars outside of Heiskanen, not even considering how banged up the stars D was against Edmonton, and I don't think many agree that Bobrovsky is worse than Ottinger but quite the opposite. After all Bobrovsky might win the Vezina this year, again. Ekblad is the only defenceman I'd be conserned of because he is quite slow but he is paired up with Forsling who's in the same tier defensively as Heiskanen.

Oilers had only 10 shots against Dallas in game 6. I expect the same trend to continue against Florida, which outshot and outplayed everyone of their opponents so far 5v5 and they did it consistently game after game. If it wasn't for Shesterkin the Panthers would've swept the Rangers. They also solved Swayman and Vasilevsky so Skinner and the Oilers are going to be facing a massive challenge.

Cskavars

May 25, 2018
The answer to both these questions is most likely, no. Panthers will allow 3-5 breakaways a game and the Oileres D will cough up the puck and struggle with zone exits.
i tend to agree here, i think i have more confidence in Bob to make those 2-3 stops then i do the D and skinner dealing with the constant Florida attack, i think we see the 5v5 shot differential get out of hand.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
That's horrible. Maybe it was since the 80's but at least it brings a little more optimism for the Oilers chances.
That was when the league doubled from 6 teams to 12. Blues were an expansion team with the others in the “new 6” division, which they won the first three years. Then they faced the winner of the O-6 teams’ division......

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: RogerRoger

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Manitoba
maybe if the hometown paper says it, some won’t simply scoff when they hear it.

“But the Florida Panthers are not the Calgary Flames. The Panthers are for real. If the Oilers thought Los Angeles, Vancouver and Dallas were tough, they are about to move up another weight class to face their toughest opponent yet.”

“They play a harder game than any opponent the Oilers have faced so far, they have more scoring depth than any opponent the Oilers have faced so far and they have better goaltending than any opponent the Oilers have have faced so far.”

“Dallas was content to play a no hitter, Florida is not.”

Going to be a hell of a series.
Not exactly sure how one can say the Panthers have more scoring depth than the Stars. 2 weeks ago we were being told the Stars are the deepest team in the NHL by the majority.

Also, Oettinger scared me a lot more than Bob does.. That's not to say Bob isn't a solid goalie and may have a great series

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018

It’s not going to be all on Barkov vs McDavid, though. Stopping/slowing him down is going to take a team effort, even with Mr Selke Sasha.

CanePanther

Jan 4, 2022
Every fan base is different they are tainted but some of you Edmonton guys win the trophy for most made of facts on a message board.

Reactions: sanscosm

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
Not exactly sure how one can say the Panthers have more scoring depth than the Stars. 2 weeks ago we were being told the Stars are the deepest team in the NHL by the majority.

Also, Oettinger scared me a lot more than Bob does.. That's not to say Bob isn't a solid goalie and may have a great series
Experts in that majority were just “expertin’” perhaps. Like a weatherman.....

iam76

Sep 30, 2011
Connecticut
Agreed. I dont understand the sentiment that Oiler fans are underestimating the Panthers. This seems to be the general consensus from what I've seen.

I think Oil fans are just getting tired of being written off as a 2 man team that will be crushed by a "real team"
a few bad eggs? should be a very interesting and possibly amazing series.. should be fun

• Love
Reactions: Mike C

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018

Oiler hating Trolls can’t help trolling about the “2 man team”. And some FL fans taking (returning? Idk who fired first) some shots.
There are examples in this very thread of oiler fans totally underestimating the Panthers

Davenport

Dec 4, 2020
Toronto
We saw what happened to Brad Marchand during Round Two. Have to assume that we'll see something similar during this Final series.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Florida defence is MUCH better than the that of the Stars outside of Heiskanen, not even considering how banged up the stars D was against Edmonton, and I don't think many agree that Bobrovsky is worse than Ottinger but quite the opposite. After all Bobrovsky might win the Vezina this year, again. Ekblad is the only defenceman I'd be conserned of because he is quite slow but he is paired up with Forsling who's in the same tier defensively as Heiskanen.

Oilers had only 10 shots against Dallas in game 6. I expect the same trend to continue against Florida, which outshot and outplayed everyone of their opponents so far 5v5 and they did it consistently game after game. If it wasn't for Shesterkin the Panthers would've swept the Rangers. They also solved Swayman and Vasilevsky so Skinner and the Oilers are going to be facing a massive challenge.
If you think 10 shots in game 6 is the norm for this team you are in for a rude awakening. That game was a total outliner to the rest of playoffs for the Oilers

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
We saw what happened to Brad Marchand during Round Two. Have to assume that we'll see something similar during this Final series.
Someone from the Oil gonna take a reckless run at Benny trying to blow him up, and have it go not quite as planned when they arrive late to the check?
(If you’re gonna try and wreck someone like that, don’t give them time to get their hands up to fend you off). Definition of running right into one.

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
If you think 10 shots in game 6 is the norm for this team you are in for a rude awakening. That game was a total outliner to the rest of playoffs for the Oilers

Yeah, the shots in that game were the result of score effects. One team was in full desperation mode for 40+ minutes while the other was playing to protect the lead. I wouldn't expect it to go that way again unless the Oilers get a big lead on Florida early in a game.

Reactions: WaitingForUser
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad