SCF: Florida Panthers vs Edmonton Oilers (Series Tied 3-3) Hold onto your butts, Game 7, Monday 8/24 @ 8pm ET !

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
**Stanley Cup Final**
Florida Panthers vs Edmonton Oilers

IMG_6403.pngIMG_6404.png

IMG_6446.jpeg

Last edited:

Roomtemperature

Apr 8, 2008
New Jersey
Both teams did not lift the trophy this year so.... that means its just which team is better and not some voodoo that may or may not (spoiler it doesn't) exist

Catscountry40

Feb 4, 2021
From watching the Edmonton vs Dallas series one thing I noticed is they struggled when Dallas started playing heavy below the red line. Dallas was able to create a lot of chances off that. If Edmonton allows Florida to play below the line a lot....this will not last long.

Reactions: sanscosm

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Anytime a player from the opposition gets the puck, a Panthers player swarms them. That's an issue for Oilers with guys like Nurse & Ceci in the lineup. It also puts more pressure on Skinner. Oilers will also have to counter Florida's super aggressive PK style.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
Oilers fans think this is the same Tkachuk coming back to town 2 years later.
He’s matured, I think Maurice might’ve had a talk with him about being more important on the ice than sitting for two minutes for some silly BS, or, even worse getting suspended.

7:00 Mo talks about the maturation of Chukky. After that he’s asked about trying to defend McDavid.

Reactions: Two4Fighting

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
He’s matured, I think Maurice might’ve had a talk with him about being more important on the ice than sitting for two minutes for some silly BS, or, even worse getting suspended.

7:00 Mo talks about the maturation of Chukky. After that he’s asked about trying to defend McDavid.

I think 32 thoughts touched on that, maybe he calmed a bit from last year after suffering a serious injury because he was a marked guy. He picks his spot much better.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
I think 32 thoughts touched on that, maybe he calmed a bit from last year after suffering a serious injury because he was a marked guy. He picks his spot much better.
He toned it all down a lot even before then. I think it started after that game in LA where he got suspended 2 games for the altercation with Quick.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Maybe. Back in 2022 though it wasn't that he was running around so much.... It's that the Oilers ignored him so badly that he became a non-factor.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
2 big things i'm watching on each side
- Will Edmonton's D be able to handle the Florida forecheck and pressure?
- Will Florida be able to limit the breakaways and odd man rushes they tend to give up a couple times a game from being so aggressive?

These are my 2 biggest questions 5v5

offcourse special teams will likely be the difference
The answer to both these questions is most likely, no. Panthers will allow 3-5 breakaways a game and the Oileres D will cough up the puck and struggle with zone exits.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Circuit Circus
His contract with Dallas is up after next season - unless Dallas buys him out.

But Minny's paying him for another five years. :laugh:

That might be why.
Ahhh ya the buy out haha
Thanks

It was probably the Flames jersey weighing him down back in 2022 anyway. :laugh:

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
It was probably the Flames jersey weighing him down back in 2022 anyway.
And wasn’t there talk of his Flames teammates (some, at least) resenting him because he always stirred shit up and made them have to fight, or become a target for similar actions from the opponent? He knows without a doubt that everyone on this team has his back.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Circuit Circus
And wasn’t there talk of his Flames teammates (some, at least) resenting him because he always stirred shit up and made them have to fight, or become a target for similar actions from the opponent? He knows without a doubt that everyone on this team has his back.
I mean, if you were going to fight and had Johnny Hockey backing you up... How would you feel?

3nf2Z4U.jpg

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
From watching the Edmonton vs Dallas series one thing I noticed is they struggled when Dallas started playing heavy below the red line. Dallas was able to create a lot of chances off that. If Edmonton allows Florida to play below the line a lot....this will not last long.
This isn’t wrong. Dallas did have some success with the cycle as well when they were able to get it going.

That’s a bit easier said than done against the Oilers though. They are great at maintaining perimeter play and keeping opponents to the outside if they get hemmed up in their own zone. They tend to force their opponents into low risk shot attempts more than I think they get credit for.

A huge part of their turnaround is the mandate from Coffey for D-men to make plays. The gameplan for simply getting the puck out of their end with dump outs is long gone. Their ability to transition on the rush torched all three of their opponents so far, and they’re not likely going to waver from that game plan even a little.

The difference I see with Florida compared to the teams the Oilers have played so far is they are also quite good at keeping possession in the offensive zone. They cycle very well and don’t seem to rush into low event chances. This will be something the Oilers will have to adjust to.

Florida will also be facing a team that is far better at neutral zone play and zone entry than they have faced so far, IMO. I was actually quite surprised how ineffective the Bruins, and particularly the Rangers, were at this aspect of the game. Dump and chase won’t work against the Panthers, and the Rangers seemed committed to avoiding coming at the Panthers with set zone entry plays. That is something the Oilers are great at.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
After all this talk on how improved the Rat is, it would be hilarious if he ends up doing something dumb....

Mez

Nov 16, 2017

I love Pomo...always wanted him to win the cup. Worst case scenario the Oilers lose and Pomo wins, ill take that. TBH after Tkachuk left Calgary I noticed he matured a bunch and I was able to appreciate his game more. He is definitely less of an unhinged rat than he was in Calgary.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018

I love Pomo...always wanted him to win the cup. Worst case scenario the Oilers lose and Pomo wins, ill take that. TBH after Tkachuk left Calgary I noticed he matured a bunch and I was able to appreciate his game more. He is definitely less of an unhinged rat than he was in Calgary.
I’d be pulling for Edmonton if they were playing anybody else.

Reactions: Mez
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad