SCF: Florida Panthers vs Edmonton Oilers (Series Tied 3-3) Hold onto your butts, Game 7, Monday 8/24 @ 8pm ET !

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
**Stanley Cup Final**
Florida Panthers vs Edmonton Oilers

IMG_6403.pngIMG_6404.png

IMG_6446.jpeg

Last edited:

Drizzzt

Crazy Loudmouthed & Intense competitor born in TX
Oct 16, 2015
Tyler, Texas
#2 but it’s a massive drop off. No pp is even remotely comparable to ours.
Jesus Christ you Oilers fans gloat. Yeah, my team is out of it, but it could have gone different. We hit two posts in OT in game 1, and last night puck luck was our enemy again. Stankoven almost buried one at the end.

Also, BOTH your PK and Skinner are due to regress to the mean. You aren't going to be that good forever.

I think the Panthers are going to fix that.

Incoming "But-we-are-just-better-than-the-whole-league-now" posts in 3....2....1....

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
If the Oilers play the same way and same structure they have these entire playoffs and get solid goaltending, I think they have a great chance. The Oilers top end players is their advantage. It should be a good series. Basically whichever team can solve the other teams defensive play will win. No teams has been able to solve either teams defense over a series in these playoffs yet.
I mean you're right but also ya think?

Always next year
Or 2033.

• Haha
Reactions: Chaos2k7

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
My favourite thing is Florida fans who think Barkov has magical properties. Like the guy who said Barkov > McDavid earlier in the thread.

Like, please understand that McDavid has close to as many points as your two top scorers combined. Lol
McDavid being the best in the league doesn't make Barkov not the best two way forward in the league.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Jesus Christ you Oilers fans gloat. Yeah, my team is out of it, but it could have gone different. We hit two posts in OT in game 1, and last night puck luck was our enemy again. Stankoven almost buried one at the end.

Also, BOTH your PK and Skinner are due to regress to the mean. You aren't going to be that good forever.

I think the Panthers are going to fix that.

Incoming "But-we-are-just-better-than-the-whole-league-now" posts in 3....2....1....
Skinner's good series against DAL *was* his regression to the mean. He's closer to the .920 goalie that Dallas got than the shaky .850 milhouse tied to the posts that the Canucks were lucky enough to get.

The PK... I mean, yeah, it's not going to be perfect forever, but under Knoblauch it was top 10 and got better as the year went on and the coaching staff got more time to work with the players. Knoblauch gives a ton of credit to Mark Stuart for it.

Drizzzt

Crazy Loudmouthed & Intense competitor born in TX
Oct 16, 2015
Tyler, Texas
One thing not said is that Skinner and the PK can't keep this up forever. Skinner especially is due for a regression to the mean.

Physicality vs Skill.

Going to be interesting.

Florida in 7

• Haha
Reactions: Kerberos

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Skinner's good series against DAL *was* his regression to the mean. He's closer to the .920 goalie that Dallas got than the shaky .850 milhouse tied to the posts that the Canucks were lucky enough to get.

The PK... I mean, yeah, it's not going to be perfect forever, but under Knoblauch it was top 10 and got better as the year went on and the coaching staff got more time to work with the players. Knoblauch gives a ton of credit to Mark Stuart for it.
We have the #2 PK in the playoffs, its not nearly as lopsided as suggested

Reactions: 5 Hole

CanePanther

Jan 4, 2022
Leaving aside the LA series, which really wasn't much of a serious challenge, the Oilers have really been in a number of precarious situations with their backs to the wall in these playoffs. Just when things seem dire, different players step up and take the mantle. This is honestly what championship teams are made of.

One can say Florida followed a similar path, having a easier opponent (relatively speaking) in the first round. Boston was pretty bruised from the Leafs series, but regardless, Florida handled them well.

I thought Florida/NYR series was a lot closer than it seemed and should have gone 7, but Florida's defence really carried them that series.

I think Edmonton had more serious tests against Vancouver and for this past Dallas series, it wasn't so much that Dallas played poorly (which they did at points as their offence dried up in the end), but the Oilers just played better. I watched the games and just the little things like winning the puck battles, doing the behind the scenes things to break up a play that never materialized. Blocking shots. And of course, special teams - these are all traits of past champions.

Both of these teams deserve to be in the Finals. Yes, Montreal was in the Covid version of the Finals, but I put a bit fat asterisks on that one - this is the legitimate Canadian team in the finals. While I would love to see my Oilers bring the cup back to Canada, I just hope to continue to see great hockey and close games but two fairly evenly matched, exciting teams.
Wrong most pundits said the Cats clearly outplayed the Rangers…….

Reactions: Canad13ns

DamonDRW

Dec 23, 2007
Tampere, Finland
Power plays per game in the third round:

Florida - 3.17
New York - 2.50
Dallas - 2.33
Edmonton - 1.83

The refs know how deadly the Oilers power play is and will do what they can to limit their opportunities like usual.
It is not about the number of penalties, it is about calling them in a right time, right game, etc.

• Haha
Reactions: Coffey

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
We have the #2 PK in the playoffs, its not nearly as lopsided as suggested
I didn't suggest it was lopsided, just that Edmonton's is very good.

It'll also be interesting that Edmonton is going from the most disciplined team in the playoffs to one of the most penalized. Florida is a tough, physical team, and Edmonton can play that game too, but if Edmonton gets 4 powerplays per game like Florida has been giving up, their PK is going to have to be huge.

Reactions: Chaos2k7
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad