SCF: Florida Panthers vs Edmonton Oilers (Series Tied 3-3) Hold onto your butts, Game 7, Monday 8/24 @ 8pm ET !

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
**Stanley Cup Final**
Florida Panthers vs Edmonton Oilers

IMG_6403.pngIMG_6404.png

IMG_6446.jpeg

Last edited:

MacMacandBarbie

Dec 9, 2019
From an XGF% perspective at 5v5, the three teams the Oilers (1st) faced were 3rd (DAL) 4th (LAK) and 8th (VAN) in the regular season. People that are saying the Oilers have had an easy path are clueless.

The three the Panthers (5th) have faced were 18th (BOS) 21st (TBL) and 22nd (NYR). The goalies and defences they had to go through demand respect, though.

This is going to be fresh territory for both teams. Florida forechecks like Dallas but also plays a much heavier game and that's going to cause the Oilers D fits. Florida hasn't faced a team that can dominate 5v5 like the Oilers can, and their special teams are both white hot.
After hearing all year about how crappy the Tampa Bay Lightning are and how poor Kucherov doesn’t have any help, I’d be surprised if Florida fans are using that series win as a feather in the cap.

CanePanther

Jan 4, 2022
I thought we were done with this in the Rangers series. Silly comments dirty is a lazy description. How about those gritty tough hard nosed Panthers. Thanks in advance

Reactions: Chaos2k7

MacMacandBarbie

Dec 9, 2019
After watching Dallas for 6 you are not a fan of skill. Dallas was awesome at blocking shots! So much fun
Ironically after McDavid just put on one of the most highly skilled performances of the decade on the biggest stage in an elimination game!

IB

Aug 20, 2009
Let's Go FLA! Stay out of the box but keep playing physical. Word of advice make Bouchard turn and go back to retrieve pucks he will serve up pizza's becuase he cannot take multiple hits. There are a lot of good things that he does well out there but taking hits and playing brave is not his forte. He does not have elite skating so will not be able to avoid them, Game within the game!

thegazelle

Nov 11, 2019
Leaving aside the LA series, which really wasn't much of a serious challenge, the Oilers have really been in a number of precarious situations with their backs to the wall in these playoffs. Just when things seem dire, different players step up and take the mantle. This is honestly what championship teams are made of.

One can say Florida followed a similar path, having a easier opponent (relatively speaking) in the first round. Boston was pretty bruised from the Leafs series, but regardless, Florida handled them well.

I thought Florida/NYR series was a lot closer than it seemed and should have gone 7, but Florida's defence really carried them that series.

I think Edmonton had more serious tests against Vancouver and for this past Dallas series, it wasn't so much that Dallas played poorly (which they did at points as their offence dried up in the end), but the Oilers just played better. I watched the games and just the little things like winning the puck battles, doing the behind the scenes things to break up a play that never materialized. Blocking shots. And of course, special teams - these are all traits of past champions.

Both of these teams deserve to be in the Finals. Yes, Montreal was in the Covid version of the Finals, but I put a bit fat asterisks on that one - this is the legitimate Canadian team in the finals. While I would love to see my Oilers bring the cup back to Canada, I just hope to continue to see great hockey and close games but two fairly evenly matched, exciting teams.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Leaving aside the LA series, which really wasn't much of a serious challenge, the Oilers have really been in a number of precarious situations with their backs to the wall in these playoffs. Just when things seem dire, different players step up and take the mantle. This is honestly what championship teams are made of.

One can say Florida followed a similar path, having a easier opponent (relatively speaking) in the first round. Boston was pretty bruised from the Leafs series, but regardless, Florida handled them well.

I thought Florida/NYR series was a lot closer than it seemed and should have gone 7, but Florida's defence really carried them that series.

I think Edmonton had more serious tests against Vancouver and for this past Dallas series, it wasn't so much that Dallas played poorly (which they did at points as their offence dried up in the end), but the Oilers just played better. I watched the games and just the little things like winning the puck battles, doing the behind the scenes things to break up a play that never materialized. Blocking shots. And of course, special teams - these are all traits of past champions.

Both of these teams deserve to be in the Finals. Yes, Montreal was in the Covid version of the Finals, but I put a bit fat asterisks on that one - this is the legitimate Canadian team in the finals. While I would love to see my Oilers bring the cup back to Canada, I just hope to continue to see great hockey and close games but two fairly evenly matched, exciting teams.
I've said it before and I'm saying it again, the Kings get underrated because they keep losing to the Oilers. They're a very good team that really needed to part ways with their coach and lean on their talent a little bit more. They're way too passive and that just doesn't work against Edmonton.

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
I see a lot of Florida fans saying that the Oilers haven't faced a team like them before. ...That's true.

But I think the opposite is true as well. McDavid and Draisatl can and have won series all by themselves. Bouchard/Ekholm is legit one of, if not the best pairing in the league. They can shut teams down. Obviously they need Skinner to play well, that's the X-factor here.

I think Oilers proved quite abit against Dallas series, they can win in multiple ways... and playoffs are different than the regular season no matter what occurred then.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
After hearing all year about how crappy the Tampa Bay Lightning are and how poor Kucherov doesn’t have any help, I’d be surprised if Florida fans are using that series win as a feather in the cap.
The team that made it to 3 of the last 4 Finals and won twice?

The death of the Lightning is vastly overstated.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Let's Go FLA! Stay out of the box but keep playing physical. Word of advice make Bouchard turn and go back to retrieve pucks he will serve up pizza's becuase he cannot take multiple hits. There are a lot of good things that he does well out there but taking hits and playing brave is not his forte. He does not have elite skating so will not be able to avoid them, Game within the game!
There are stats to look this stuff up, you know.

Bouchard has taken 47 hits, which is 13th most in the league among defencemen.

He has 8 giveaways (22nd) and 12 takeaways (T-3rd)

According to Natural Stat Trick, the clubhouse leader in giveaways for the playoffs is Aaron Ekblad with 20. And one takeaway.

Giggli G

Sep 8, 2006
My favourite thing is Florida fans who think Barkov has magical properties. Like the guy who said Barkov > McDavid earlier in the thread.

Like, please understand that McDavid has close to as many points as your two top scorers combined. Lol

Sticksandsun

Mar 11, 2015
The Panthers are slim favorites in Vegas (-130 which implies a 56% chance of winning). This poll has it as a 55/45 percent split. I don't get whining about lack of respect, this series is a coinflip to everyone lol, it's the 2 best teams in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad