SCF: Florida Panthers vs Edmonton Oilers (Series Tied 3-3) Hold onto your butts, Game 7, Monday 8/24 @ 8pm ET !

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
**Stanley Cup Final**
Florida Panthers vs Edmonton Oilers

IMG_6403.pngIMG_6404.png

IMG_6446.jpeg

Last edited:

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Expected goals in game 5 were 3.14 to 3.1 for Edmonton. That game was all Oilers until they started turtling at 4-1.

3rd period was actually the only one where they led in xG - it was 2.3 to 1.5 for Panthers after 2 periods and 3rd period xGF (edit: for the Oilers) must've come from Florida playing with empty net because 5v5 or on 5v4 they had nothing going on.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Games 1 and 5 aren't really comparable. Game 1 the Oilers were better from start to finish but Bobrovsky was Superman, game 5 the Panthers made a push in the 3rd after they were down 4-1. Oilers haven't really "stolen" a game in this series the way the Panthers did in game 1.
Agreed Florida had no business having the lead after the 1st, but they did and played with the lead rest of the game and kept it really close in the 3rd despite Oilers chasing. 3rd period xGF etc. were nothing like most games in the series where the team trying to comeback dominates all metrics, instead it was something like 55-45 to Oilers which is nothing when one team is protecting 2 goal lead. IMO Panthers deserve full credit for doing a great job after they stole the 1st period.

ozhenson

Jul 26, 2007
"How important is hockey to Canadians anyway?"

Exhibit A - Costco during Game 6 during what are normally peak hours:

That's f***ing wild. I don't think I've ever not seen atleast 20 people in that corner before. Even if you go at like 9 am on a weekday.
I do want to add, as a former employee at this particular Costco, even during shallow playoff runs the place was deserted in previous years. Many employees could gather in electronics and watch the game there.

Also, hot tip for Costco, it's generally pretty quiet for the last 90 minutes of the day(which this would have fallen into) so I'm not BOWLED over seeing this.

All of that said, the energy in town is still unimaginable. Watching games from home, I can hear my entire city block amp up every time a goal is scored. Horns for hours after every game these days.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I do want to add, as a former employee at this particular Costco, even during shallow playoff runs the place was deserted in previous years. Many employees could gather in electronics and watch the game there.

Also, hot tip for Costco, it's generally pretty quiet for the last 90 minutes of the day(which this would have fallen into) so I'm not BOWLED over seeing this.

All of that said, the energy in town is still unimaginable. Watching games from home, I can hear my entire city block amp up every time a goal is scored. Horns for hours after every game these days.
I'm in Montreal and I hear a couple of screams on my block as well.

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
Summary: A new study delves into the intricate psyche of conspiracy theorists, attributing their beliefs to a mixture of personality traits and motivations.

The study suggests conspiracy theorists are not necessarily ‘mentally unwell’, but often resort to conspiracy theories to fulfill unmet needs and rationalize distress. Analyzing data from 170 studies with over 158,000 participants, it identifies a need to understand and feel secure in their environment, and a sense of superiority over others as key drivers.

In addition, personality traits such as paranoia, insecurity, impulsivity, and egocentrism were found to be common among conspiracy theorists.

People can be prone to believe in conspiracy theories due to a combination of personality traits and motivations, including relying strongly on their intuition, feeling a sense of antagonism and superiority toward others, and perceived threats in their environment.

You may want to make a call to a 1-800 help line…
Conspiracy theories and religious fanatics both believe the world is governed by an invisible all-powerful force. The only difference is the former believe this force to be malignant and the latter -- benevolent.

Otherwise: which paper are you citing?

• Love
Reactions: DitchMarner

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
Serious question:

For those people who think Florida has even a decent shot at winning Game 7, what do you think will be the key to their victory?

Because from where I stand, it's so hard to picture them winning.

I can't even put my finger on what they did in the third period of Game 5 which was one of the only periods where they looked decent in the past three games.

Really just feels like Knoblauch is a step ahead of them and they don't know what to do.
The Panthers are still forechecking like crazy. They also kept McD in check in Game 6. All it takes is for Bob to make a couple of timely saves and for one of the following waking up: Tkachuk, Reinheart, or Tarasenko (who I would put on the top line with Barkov again).

RMF5630

Jun 13, 2022
The third line of the Oilers has really made a difference this series. Exactly what they were missing over the past years, where it was McDrai who carried them to any win.

Brown, Janmark, Henrique, Holloway etc have been crucial and were able to partially replace the production of an injured Draisaitl and cold Hyman while being perfect defensively.
Henrique turned out to be trade of year.

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
What's the point in watching sports if you give up before things have played out? It's all over this forum, and the internet in general. It's so weak, and I said the same thing on our own board after people had given up after game 1, let alone when they went down 0-3.

Fans always talk about players being weak mentally, but it's those same fans who throw in the towel everytime things don't just fall into place and go their way.

I really don't understand it. Is it about being able to say I told you so? Like, a proud to have called a loss kind of thing? It's so strange and the complete opposite of the spirit of the games themselves.
It is preparing themselves for the loss to try to make it hurt less. If they think they are going to win and then lose, that is devastating, but if they go in expecting to lose then it is expected ad not as painful.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Battle of Barkov vs McDavid.

Barkov in games 1, 2, 3, 6. ✔️

McDavid in games 4 and 5 ✔️
The only game McDavid was actually shut down in was game 2. He probably generated more than anybody on either team in games 1 and 3 but Bob had everybody's number. Game 6 was interesting because I think he basically just had no interest entering the offensive zone once it was 3-0.

On the McDavid front as well I'll be interested to see if the Oilers PP decides to be timely again and finally shows up in game 7. It was cold for most of the Dallas series until the last couple games and has been cold for most of the finals so far. Oilers finally manage a couple power play goals that's almost certainly a couple of McDavid points.

Last edited:

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Serious question:

For those people who think Florida has even a decent shot at winning Game 7, what do you think will be the key to their victory?

Because from where I stand, it's so hard to picture them winning.

I can't even put my finger on what they did in the third period of Game 5 which was one of the only periods where they looked decent in the past three games.

Really just feels like Knoblauch is a step ahead of them and they don't know what to do.
Oil fan but I'll give it a go

Maurice has more experience and maybe he figures this out for game 7?
Bob is much more decorated than Skinner and maybe he goes all 'game 1' on us?
Guys like Tkcahuk, Bennet, Reinhart and Barkov are all awesome and Florida is deeper?
Florida is a very good team (better on paper was a consensus from most before series started) and were in the finals last year so they have a lot to play for
Game 7's are shitshows and they come down to a few bouces (eg. offside call last game)
We don't know who is clutch and who will be overwhelmed in such an intense setting (except Ceci, he's our Game 7 ace and that is undisputable.lol)
Using HF Stats (lol) - only 1.6% of people thought the Oil could sweep the Cat's, well, to do this we have to win 4 in a row and I'm not sure FLorida lost 4 in a row all year
Injuries and we don't know who is dealing with what (Barkov still foggy? Drai hurt? Kane? RNH?)

It's a crapshoot and nothing would surprise me... to me, game 7's are like shootouts.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
I'm just stunned that there have been no lead changes/equalizing goals in the SCF game 7's post 87.

What are the odds. Reasons? It's such an absurd stat.

Only thing I can come up with is the team trailing panics and gets out of their comfort zone.

Unless one wants to use the metric of the number of goals scored.
I agree the scoresheet didn't show it. But I felt Florida was the better team for most of the game.

I do not agree with the sentiment that if Edmonton loses Mon, the better team will have lost this series.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
The winning GM can hardly celebrate. They win Mon and have to prepare for the draft like 12 hours later.

That's not fair imo. It's like "Here's a cup you dreamed about winning. Hold it. Now get back to work."

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
I'm just stunned that there have been no lead changes/equalizing goals in the SCF game 7's post 87.

What are the odds. Reasons? It's such an absurd stat.

Only thing I can come up with is the team trailing panics and gets out of their comfort zone.

I agree the scoresheet didn't show it. But I felt Florida was the better team for most of the game.

I do not agree with the sentiment that if Edmonton loses Mon, the better team will have lost this series.
Game 7 in general tend to be defensive affairs so once you score first, you go shutdown mode. In a SCF even more.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Game 7 in general tend to be defensive affairs so once you score first, you go shutdown mode. In a SCF even more.
Very true.

As for the game, Oilers should play McDrai 30 plus minutes if needed. It's he last game of the season.

I would even consider playing them together for the first few shifts. See if you can get an early goal. Then, split them up.

Florida needs to go top heavy and do the same.

Reactions: Nicko999
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad