SCF: Florida Panthers vs Edmonton Oilers (Series Tied 3-3) Hold onto your butts, Game 7, Monday 8/24 @ 8pm ET !

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
**Stanley Cup Final**
Florida Panthers vs Edmonton Oilers

IMG_6403.pngIMG_6404.png

IMG_6446.jpeg

Last edited:

Bobieque

Low n' Slow (Me & the Food)
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2006
High River
Does anyone else find it weird the oilers and their fans are trying to retcon la bamba as this long time historic song tied to the oilers?
I know a few have already posted, but to give a bit more context:

If you are not aware of Joey Moss, he was the brother of Vikki Moss, a former girlfriend of Wayne Gretzky. This was in the very early years of his career.

Joey Moss had Down Syndrome. Wayne got him a job with the Oilers where he assisted the equipment team.
He eventually also worked with the local football team and became beloved by the city.

The Moss family were all actors and entertainment people. Joey was very outgoing and ribbed the players as much as possible.
He loved the song La Bamba, but didn’t know all the words. The players loved when he would go through the dressing room belting it out at the top of his lungs.

When he passed away, he really had become an icon in the city. The team then started to play La Bamba as a tribute when they won.

Ben Stelter was a young boy that unfortunately had a rare form of cancer, he and McDavid started a special bond that was quickly taken up by all of Edmonton. Ben became a “good luck charm” during a playoff run and was famous before a game for saying “Play La Bamba Baby” and the phrase and song are now also associated with him.

This started as a simple tribute to a local icon and has now grown into an identity to the team. It’s really almost a grassroots thing that has grown organically. Never set out to become what it has become, but as a lifelong Oilers fan familiar with both stories it is totally, absolutely awesome.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
I remember seeing many articles where Oilers fans wanted Bennett over Draisaitl. And I'll never forget the Calgary table celebrating after Edmonton took Draisaitl.

That said, would Draisaitl have been as good in Calgary. And how would Bennett do in Edmonton?

Lannes

🇮🇱🇮🇱🇮🇱
May 5, 2024
Battle of Barkov vs McDavid.

Barkov in games 1, 2, 3, 6. ✔️

McDavid in games 4 and 5 ✔️

Posts like this are why, 'the underrated two-way guy' thing is often such a myth.

Barkov was -2 in game six and out for a Sunday skate when Draisaitl set up Fogele but because McDavid didn't torch his team for the first time in three games, he 'won the battle'.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Serious question:

For those people who think Florida has even a decent shot at winning Game 7, what do you think will be the key to their victory?

Because from where I stand, it's so hard to picture them winning.

I can't even put my finger on what they did in the third period of Game 5 which was one of the only periods where they looked decent in the past three games.

Really just feels like Knoblauch is a step ahead of them and they don't know what to do.
I think i was one of only a few posters calling for a reverse sweep after game 3, so I'm not going to change my tune now. I think Oilers win game 7.

But to act like Florida has no chance makes no sense.

Game 7 is 50/50, it always is. Florida can definitely win. Bob can steal a game, Oilers can play bad, Tkachuk or Barkov or whoever can have a huge game, Skinner can have a stinker, etc

Reactions: Czechboy

GrumpyKoala

Aug 11, 2020
These finals are dragging it's crazy. Could finish this series 4 days before the draft.
Atrocious
Especially the rythem, I don't mind how long it takes, but I cringe at: its ok to starts a new series less than 48h of a previous round but we now get 3-4 days delay between individuals games

Last edited:

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Atrocious
Especially the rythem, I don't mind how long it takes, but I cringe a its ok to starts a new series less than 48h of a previous round but we now get 3-4 days delay between individuals games
Even stupider.. the second this is over

Awards, draft and free agency within a week.lol

Reactions: Thomas Tatar

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
Preparing to lose and conceding defeat before anything has happened is crazy to me.
I think there's a big difference between being in control or not.

If you're just watching helplessly you might resort to a coping mechanism of trying to cushion the blow, where you would otherwise focus and create positive mental images if you were about to do it yourself.

thebestnic

Jun 29, 2022
He can lose this and not suffer. Taking it to game 7 being down 3-0 is enough. Florida, Maurice and the crew will never recover their reputation if they blow this.
He will need to win it eventually for his legacy. In a 32 team he might never get this close again

chaser17

Dec 30, 2014
The winning GM can hardly celebrate. They win Mon and have to prepare for the draft like 12 hours later.

That's not fair imo. It's like "Here's a cup you dreamed about winning. Hold it. Now get back to work."
If the Oilers win Holland may as well strap his best pick to Jack Campbell and say to hell with the draft.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
If the Oilers win Holland may as well strap his best pick to Jack Campbell and say to hell with the draft.
It's an awful draft for us.. without googling (so I may be a bit off)

no first
2nd is the last pick so 64th
no third
no 4th
2 x 5th
2 x 6th

Something like that. If we can get 100 NHL games out of this draft we did great.

So I propose Campbell and all our picks and Holland can go to his cottage and skip the draft.lol

On a more serious note.. buyout seems like the right play unfortunately.

Reactions: Oilslick941611
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad