SCF: Florida Panthers vs Edmonton Oilers (Series Tied 3-3) Hold onto your butts, Game 7, Monday 8/24 @ 8pm ET !

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
**Stanley Cup Final**
Florida Panthers vs Edmonton Oilers

IMG_6403.pngIMG_6404.png

IMG_6446.jpeg

Last edited:

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
No one is agitating anyone anymore.. that shit is for first couple games only. Oilers are now just taking the hit and making the plays.

Don't agree ... they have been giving it their best and have had good stretches of pressure.
PP is costing them this series.
Let's say you're right on the agitating for the sake of argument. Even so, I suit Perry over Gagner in game 7 all day every day

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Mods here generally do a great job but I do think it would be cool if we were able to have prediction threads or at least separate polls for each game
The issue is, it will create another discussion thread on the same series which will be the same topic. It also makes the mod team unable to enforce thread bans for this thread , since those members who have not exactly been civil, the ability to post in another thread.

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I get it that Edm is using there speed but there are ways to slow them down but the problem is Florida right now is so confused they don't know what to do and are getting cought out of position. The speed game isn't something new to the NHL. It has alway been there with many teams.
They are also running on empty.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
No. Oilers fans will if they lose.

For most of us Panthers’ fans, the series ended yesterday. Game 7 is just a formality at this point.

So losing on Monday won’t do much.
What's the point in watching sports if you give up before things have played out? It's all over this forum, and the internet in general. It's so weak, and I said the same thing on our own board after people had given up after game 1, let alone when they went down 0-3.

Fans always talk about players being weak mentally, but it's those same fans who throw in the towel everytime things don't just fall into place and go their way.

I really don't understand it. Is it about being able to say I told you so? Like, a proud to have called a loss kind of thing? It's so strange and the complete opposite of the spirit of the games themselves.

Last edited:

RMF5630

Jun 13, 2022
Statistics.

If a team is 0-3 what does it tell about these two teams? Generally, it tells you that the team that won the first three games is the better team, by a good margin.

So when considering comebacks from down 0-3, we're not just considering the odds of winning 4 in a row, we're also considering that the team you need to win against is probably far better than your team.

Here's why this stat is stupid and misleading:

This has happened 27 times. In game 4, the team that was down 0-3 is 7-20.

So the vast majority of the stat is accounted for by simply assuming that the team that's down 0-3 is the significantly worse team. But even after just one win to bring it to 1-3, the probabilities get skewed so much that almost all of that bias is gone. So of the 7, two teams made it to 3-3. That's already above expectations(Now even more so, with 3 out of 8).

The point is, the important hurdle was the 1-3 victory. After that, the stat from 0-3 is completely meaningless. We have new information, and need to make use of it.

Right now, what matters is the stats at 3-3. The fact that the series used to be 0-3 is of very minor significance in the grand scheme of things.
Not if the teams haven't seen each other. FLA has the same pattern, they jump on top with the forecheck. Not many teams play it, so it takes a game or 2 to get it down. There is a reason why they went up in every series and then it stretched out. They play a style that is not in vogue. It is like facing a Knuckleball pitcher, takes an at bat or two to get it down. FLA returns to the norm over a long series because the other team is now ready. Maurice gambles that he can win one out of 3 or 2 out of 3. This is a style thing more than a personnel thing.

Reactions: Stony Curtis

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
Verhagy and Reinhart look terrible the last several games. Barkov still a beast. Florida has lost the jump they had for the first 3 rounds. Their forecheck is non existent. The oilers stretch the ice and execute the flip under pressure. If Florida doesn't have a new game plan or get their top 6 producing again game 7 will be a very similar score to game 6. Bob isn't going to win the cup for you.
I thought Barkov game 4 and 5 was mehhh. 19 isn't having a great one.
And Bob ain't playing like the Bob ..

Then add Verhagy and Reinhard cause they weren't playing that much either in the 3 first.

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
What is the record for the home team in game 7 in this situation? I know it's 5-4 lifetime for the team that was up 3-0 but is it something like 4-1 for the home team?
I have no idea and I don't think it matters. Home ice advantage doesn't mean a thing if the opposition is this dominant.

The fact that the Panthers were up 3-0 seems more like an anomaly then a series predictor at this point. The reverse sweep odds are basically irrelevant now.

The most telling fact is the Oilers overall dominance in the series.

The Oilers have scored more than 5 goals 3 times in this final. Only 5 other teams have done this and they have all won the Cup.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
How much credit does he get for taking Nurse and Ceci away from each other every single series? Same with last night: he makes a move that was clearly the wrong one in starting Perry with Draisitl and then gets credit for reuniting the line that was working :laugh:
The guy has earned my respect for several reasons. Not the least is he's polite and respectful to answer that dolt Emily Kaplan's idiotic mid game questions.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Even when I predicted Florida in 6, I followed it up with 'If it goes to 7, McDavid isn't losing".

I stand by that last part, even though stranger things have happened.

Reactions: zar
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad