SCF: Florida Panthers vs Edmonton Oilers (Series Tied 3-3) Hold onto your butts, Game 7, Monday 8/24 @ 8pm ET !

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
**Stanley Cup Final**
Florida Panthers vs Edmonton Oilers

IMG_6403.pngIMG_6404.png

IMG_6446.jpeg

Last edited:

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
It’s hard not to blame Nurse and Ceci when they seem to be on the ice for every single goal against. Also Nurse was completely useless on the second goal against. He fell asleep and just let the puck go past him. He might as well not have been on the ice.
Nurse gets ganged up on because he's inconsistent at best--brutal enough of the time to be noticeable

Reactions: phrenssoa

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Not sure why Nurse and Ceci are getting ganged up on.

1st goal Ceci clearly motioned to Hyman to take the open Panthers player. Hyman doesn't skate a single step, he just glides and pretends he's backchecking. Easily could have prevented the goal

2nd was all Kane. He does a stick check at the blueline, but then like Hyman, he glides down and leaves ERod open for no apparent reason. In fact after Kane makes a fake defensive stick play as ERod shoots, he's already moving away from the play as if it's guaranteed the puck will go in and doesn't want to deal with a rebound.

Both Kane and Hyman knew their check was open, both knew their checks were in prime scoring spots. They just didn't care.
Hyman and Kane are wingers, in the defensive zone their responsibilities are the defenders and when defending the rush they shouldn’t be at the net unless someone else isn’t doing their job, if Hyman goes to Verhaeghe then Forsling is wide open in the slot. On the first goal Mcdavid got caught below the puck and couldn’t backtrack his man Barkov in time. When Barkov dishes to the winger along the boards Nurse should stick with Barkov driving to the net. The puck carrier is pretty deep in the zone and along the wall, he’s got no path to the net and he’s a right shot so he’s got a terrible angle for a shot attempt, he wasn’t a threat. But Nurse goes to him and let’s Barkov go by who McDavid couldn’t pick up, then Ceci abandons his check in Verhaeghe to pick up Barkov.

The second goal is more of the same, Oilers have the Panthers out numbered, Rodrigues isn’t Kane’s responsibility and there’s plenty of support so there’s no reason he should be abandoning his man to chase Rodrigues to the low slot. The Oilers actually have the opportunity to double team the Panther in the corner to gain control but Ceci isn’t aggressive enough closing him off and then the most egregious mistake is Nurse gets caught watching the puck and not paying attention to the fact there might be someone behind him in the slot that he should be covering, he’s looking at one panther forward in the corner, where does he think the other two are? Terrible awareness on his part.

Dynamic

Dec 21, 2004
Edmonton
When FLA got that first goal it really allowed them to relax and sit back a bit. And wait for an opportunity which Nurse and Ceci put up on a platter. I’m an Oilers fan, I don’t buy that deserved better. Like against Dallas in game 6, the team with the lead can employ the bend but not break strategy. FLA did it perfectly.

And having Bob is going to be a huge advantage if Skinner can’t rise to the occasion. The first goal on Skinner Bob stops. Simple as that. One of those games where I was happy with how they played but FLA does have another gear. And Bob going into full on Bob mode is a problem. I’m sure there will be some adjustments in game 2, gonna be a good one!

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
Were you lackadaisical when the Habs made the final a few years ago or did you wanted them to win?
That Habs team was the worst team to make the cup final that I can remember. I don't think realistic Habs fans had any high hopes.

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Oilers played very well in game 1 and got beat 3-0 with an empty net goal. Bob has been on fire all year and Cats are stacked top to bottom. Oilers could pull it out no doubt with the top talent they have but Panthers wear you down and longer series goes better for Cats. I picked Cats in 5 and sticking to it. When you win not playing your best that's demoralizing to opposing team. Cats win game 2 series is over.

onetweasy

"That's just like, your opinion, man"
Oct 16, 2005
Bowling Alley
IMO Florida played A Panthers game. They did everything that has made them successful the past 2 seasons. Edmonton came at them with speed and they were able to keep up and counter their speed with aggressive forechecking. Bob was a brick wall.

No one would be saying that Edmonton out played Florida had the shots on goal been more even. Florida was better in nearly every other stat cat.

Edmonton can't have that many power plays and not score 1 goal. I think their positioning around the net could be better, and perhaps they will make that adjustment beyond that I can't see how Edmonton wins this series.

Florida will wear them down and the Oilers will be exhausted by game 4.

Just give Florida the cup now.

Panthers in 5.
Yeah give Florida the Cup……

They only got out shot 32-18, out chanced 13-6 with expected goals at 5.8 vs 1.8 on home ice…..yeah this series will be a cakewalk for the Panthers

Also, would love to know what “stat cat” you look at to determine that the Panthers were better in……cause the Panthers got caved in the main fancy stats outside of that all important scoreboard metric.

If the Oilers can solve Brobovsky than we are in really good shape.

I will be interested to see if Florida has another gear because they can’t realistically expect Bob to lay down 3 more games like that and win a Cup.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Yeah give Florida the Cup……

They only got out shot 32-18, out chanced 13-6 with expected goals at 5.8 vs 1.8 on home ice…..yeah this series will be a cakewalk for the Panthers

Also, would love to know what “stat cat” you look at to determine that the Panthers were better in……cause the Panthers got caved in the main fancy stats outside of that all important scoreboard metric.

If the Oilers can solve Brobovsky than we are in really good shape.

I will be interested to see if Florida has another gear because they can’t realistically expect Bob to lay down 3 more games like that and win a Cup.
Of course Florida has another gear.
Have you watched any of their games?
Do you think they’ve made the SCF two years in a row by a fluke or just riding hot goaltending?
That’s a great team. They will play much better.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Sam Bennett is gonna get a hatty this series. I can feel it.
He’s starting to remind me a bit of Claude Lemieux. But there will only be one Claude Lemieux. Four cups with 3 NHL teams, a Conn Smythe and still 9th in career playoff goals. Lemieux was also on a whole other level of dirty. Would do whatever it takes to win like Bennett.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Oilers played very well in game 1 and got beat 3-0 with an empty net goal. Bob has been on fire all year and Cats are stacked top to bottom. Oilers could pull it out no doubt with the top talent they have but Panthers wear you down and longer series goes better for Cats. I picked Cats in 5 and sticking to it. When you win not playing your best that's demoralizing to opposing team. Cats win game 2 series is over.

Oilers are a strange team. They look decent enough when protecting a lead until something bad happens and then they unravel. On the other hand, they can also look flat out dominant when the other team is trying to nurse a lead on them, and the latter was on display for game 1.

I think alot of it comes down to goaltending. Obviously, if Bob keeps up this level, then it's over regardless of what skinner does, but skinner also has to look at least competent for the oilers to have a shot.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
When FLA got that first goal it really allowed them to relax and sit back a bit. And wait for an opportunity which Nurse and Ceci put up on a platter. I’m an Oilers fan, I don’t buy that deserved better. Like against Dallas in game 6, the team with the lead can employ the bend but not break strategy. FLA did it perfectly.

And having Bob is going to be a huge advantage if Skinner can’t rise to the occasion. The first goal on Skinner Bob stops. Simple as that. One of those games where I was happy with how they played but FLA does have another gear. And Bob going into full on Bob mode is a problem. I’m sure there will be some adjustments in game 2, gonna be a good one!
I'm reasonably certain Skinner has another gear too, based on the aforementioned game 6 against Dallas.

TotalHomer

Jan 3, 2022
Coach Mo saying the Panthers not close to their top level as well, guessing he's referring to the fact that they get tougher and meaner and more alert on a every-two-nights sked.
Here's to hoping they can go up 2-0 and get a split in Edmonton.
If the Panthers win the next one it's going to be tough for Edmonton. The Panthers are better on the road than at home, going back to last year.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
*Florida plays their worst two periods of the entire playoffs in game 1. Wins the game anyway.*

Oiler fans- "We should have won."

Yeah, no shit Sherlock.
Is it a coincidence that Panthers played their worst two periods of the entire playoffs vs Oilers? Or are Oilers just better than any other team they've played against thus far?

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Is it a coincidence that Panthers played their worst two periods of the entire playoffs vs Oilers? Or are Oilers just better than any other team they've played against thus far?
Probably a bit of both. The Oilers played well and Florida has shown they are a much better team than they showed in those first two periods.
The bottom line is that no one should be reading too much into a two period sample size. By the end of the series we will have a better idea.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
Coach Mo saying the Panthers not close to their top level as well, guessing he's referring to the fact that they get tougher and meaner and more alert on a every-two-nights sked.
Here's to hoping they can go up 2-0 and get a split in Edmonton.

They played average grade hockey for the first 2 periods last night. They start series slow when there is a long layoff. It’s been a flaw of them for a while now, when they have long stretches of days off. The 3rd period showed a glimpse of their defensive ability, allowing the Oilers to 6 shots. Both teams will make adjustments, and I expect the Panthers to look like they have for most of these playoffs.

lextune

I'm too old for this.
Jun 9, 2008
New Hampshire
I do think the Oilers are the best team the Panthers have faced. And that that is why it took Florida two periods to get their suffocating team defense going.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

iam76

Sep 30, 2011
Connecticut
63 hits. 60 percent face off wins, 21 blocks, 3 penalty kills, 7 more takeaways, 4 less giveaways, a 3-0 shutout where they scored 2 on 17 shots is enough to impress me but what the hell do I know eh?
All while falling down on the ice constantly and making some very big mistakes.. breakaways...

If you cant see the impressive aspects of your opponent then your just drinking Kool aid.

We see the skill the creativity of Edmonton.. we know...

Florida has been the overlooked franchise for 30 years.

The only way our 6 fans will ever get any recognition is if we win the whole damn thing.

Fine let them earn it. And yes the goalie is part of the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad