OT: Scandy's Rave Party: The Fun Never Stops

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
The weird schedule is just every Friday, except the first episode was available on launch day.

I don't have a problem with the shorter episodes. Only the first one has been over 40 minutes, the other two were like 30 and 35. They aren't putting in anything extra to fill a pre-set runtime which I like. I definitely don't get saying there's too much filler and also wanting it to be longer. That seems like a weird pairing of competing opinions. I also really don't get the too much filler complaint at all; if anything it is edging towards the "too bare bones" side of things.
First episode and second episode were 3 days apart. Then the 3rd was 7 days and the next is 7 days. Disney trying to recondition people to streaming and not getting how that works. Their platform is straight ass. Straight ass. STRAIGHT. ASS.

Bare bones is what I'm getting at. Filler shit for me is to get people horned out at the sight of a live action show and not realize you're maybe getting 10% of actual plot and not just oohs and ahhhs.

I do love that end of episode theme song - the mandalorian. Ludwig Goransson is the best part of that show hands down. So far.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I feel like I'm totally fine with not getting the Disney+ thing now, especially with seeing how bad they f***ed up the ratios and transfers on other people's properties.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
First episode and second episode were 3 days apart. Then the 3rd was 7 days and the next is 7 days. Disney trying to recondition people to streaming and not getting how that works. Their platform is straight ass. Straight ass. STRAIGHT.
Right, D+ launched on a Tuesday and had ep 1 available. Then a new episode has come out each Friday since, and will continue to do so. That's 3 days from Tuesday to Friday, then 7 between Fridays. Maybe I'm just used to it from watching a lot of HBO and Hulu, but weekly releases seem pretty typical.

Bare bones is what I'm getting at. Filler **** for me is to get people horned out at the sight of a live action show and not realize you're maybe getting 10% of actual plot and not just oohs and ahhhs.
It's a simple plot with a heavy focus on atmosphere. I don't see that as a problem. Star wars has always been pretty simple plots with a bunch of oohs and ahhhs. I can understand wanting something a bit deeper though.

Last edited:

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Doing a Tax resit next week and I managed to forget everything from last time. Impressive.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
All the art stuff is probably my favorite parts of it. The show looks and sounds great.
Yeah I will give it that. It Looks and Sounds good.

That much is true

I love the quality they have put into it, I really do admire that.

But holy hell, do you remember the budget for the LOTR show? 100m PER EPISODE...it's a Billion Dollar Production ffs. I think that show might put its stamp on quality for streaming services. Mandalorian might be adorbs for now, but when that and HBOMax launch with their other stuff, Disney+ can't f*** around with this "we'll give you more baby yoda stuff while our story is like barely there, but we got some cool Mandalorian lore stuff I guess..."

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Right, D+ launched on a Tuesday and had ep 1 available. Then a new episode has come out each Friday since, and will continue to do so. That's 3 days from Tuesday to Friday, then 7 between Fridays. Maybe I'm just used to it from watching a lot of HBO and Hulu, but weekly releases seem pretty typical.

I prefer Netflix's binge method. I don't have time to wait for stuff, I lose interest in the week to week crap and then go back to it almost years later. I saw Mr Robot season 1 when it aired weekly, then I never saw it again for a couple of years, then we got Amazon Prime and I saw it had 2 and 3...finally binged through it. If it wasn't available in season format all at once, I don't think I would care. The Baby Yoda and Helmet Head being a weekly release is kind of weird for a new platform, that service has a ton of filler garbage already, this show is the only reason I am hanging on to my subscription even this long.

It's a simple plot with a heavy focus on atmosphere. I don't see that as a problem. Star wars has always been pretty simple plots with a bunch of oohs and ahhhs. I can understand wanting something a bit deeper though.

Nah, see, again, you may confuse my hate for just a hater...

Mandalorians were only ever explored in the animated shows, so for them to make a live action show out of it and create this larger universe for it, you can't half ass the f*** out of it when the animated shows put it to shame. The only distraction method they have for now is Baby Yoda-whatever it is, it's adorable af and you're like aww...shiny ball for the booger.

Maybe great shows have ruined me, but I expect more. For me, this falls in line with Titans Season 1 type of shit, where it's got what you want, but it teases you and teases you and then you watch a full season and you're like...well what the f***, fine, they're promising better in Season 2 I guess.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Honestly, with the time frame they've decided to explore - and about f***ing time because this is the gap they need to explain the most with the best stories especially for Vader, they can't half ass it, for me this is a move it or lose it moment. If the show does well, I want these namby pamby motherf***ers to do a Vader show.

The 1st season is 8 episodes.

We're in episode 3. You're almost half way through the damn show and we've learned tiny bits.

Last edited:

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I prefer Netflix's binge method. I don't have time to wait for stuff, I lose interest in the week to week crap and then go back to it almost years later. I saw Mr Robot season 1 when it aired weekly, then I never saw it again for a couple of years, then we got Amazon Prime and I saw it had 2 and 3...finally binged through it. If it wasn't available in season format all at once, I don't think I would care. The Baby Yoda and Helmet Head being a weekly release is kind of weird for a new platform, that service has a ton of filler garbage already, this show is the only reason I am hanging on to my subscription even this long.
I like it specifically so I don't sit and binge it all in two days :laugh: I like being able to discuss a show with friends/coworkers while we all wait for the next episode knowing that we've all seen the same stuff. Something like Stranger Things gets one discussion and it's out of my mind until the next season. Game of Thrones got a discussion every week. I dunno, I like that.
Mandalorians were only ever explored in the animated shows, so for them to make a live action show out of it and create this larger universe for it, you can't half ass the **** out of it when the animated shows put it to shame. The only distraction method they have for now is Baby Yoda-whatever it is, it's adorable af and you're like aww...shiny ball for the booger.

Maybe great shows have ruined me, but I expect more. For me, this falls in line with Titans Season 1 type of ****, where it's got what you want, but it teases you and teases you and then you watch a full season and you're like...well what the ****, fine, they're promising better in Season 2 I guess.
Honestly, with the time frame they've decided to explore - and about ****ing time because this is the gap they need to explain the most with the best stories especially for Vader, they can't half ass it, for me this is a move it or lose it moment. If the show does well, I want these namby pamby mother****ers to do a Vader show.

The 1st season is 8 episodes.

We're in episode 3. You're almost half way through the damn show and we've learned tiny bits.
see, I don't think they're half assing anything. I like it a lot. No need to make it complicated. They are giving bits of the history as they go, but they don't really need all that much to tell a good story. Especially since this is a show about a single Mandalorian, not all of the Mandalorians. You only need enough to inform the story of this one guy.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
I don't binge a whole show in two days.

But being able to binge 2 at a time is nice. Otherwise, I am basically watching the previous episode again to remind myself wtf I missed because life is a thing.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I don't binge a whole show in two days.

But being able to binge 2 at a time is nice. Otherwise, I am basically watching the previous episode again to remind myself wtf I missed because life is a thing.
I dunno, I have no issue remembering what happened a week ago. And if I did, most shows where it would matter have recaps. I'm not saying you have to like weekly releases, but I am saying it doesn't make a steaming service shit. It's just a different option. As is waiting until a series is over then having it available to binge. Or vice versa, I could watch binge-released shows weekly.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Game of Thrones got a discussion every week. I dunno, I like that. I like it specifically so I don't sit and binge it all in two days :laugh: I like being able to discuss a show with friends/coworkers while we all wait for the next episode knowing that we've all seen the same stuff. Something like Stranger Things gets one discussion and it's out of my mind until the next season.
see, I don't think they're half assing anything. I like it a lot. No need to make it complicated. They are giving bits of the history as they go, but they don't really need all that much to tell a good story. Especially since this is a show about a single Mandalorian, not all of the Mandalorians. You only need enough to inform the story of this one guy.

For the final 2-3 seasons of GoT, it definitely got the weekly 'THIS SHOW IS GOING TO SHIT' conversation out of my group.

There really are only a few, a very small few, shows that get worthy of discussing and even then, people are so busy and with tivo and streaming etc, people still tend to watch later or wait until the whole season releases.
Weekly format is dead and so are commercials. If you sit through weeks / months for a show and 10 minutes (for 30 minute show) or 20 minutes (for an hour show) worth of commercials you are seriously dedicated to the show or just bad at managing your time or you are retired where you purposely waste time.

Seasons all at once with no commercials !!

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
For the final 2-3 seasons of GoT, it definitely got the weekly 'THIS SHOW IS GOING TO ****' conversation out of my group.

There really are only a few, a very small few, shows that get worthy of discussing and even then, people are so busy and with tivo and streaming etc, people still tend to watch later or wait until the whole season releases.
Weekly format is dead and so are commercials. If you sit through weeks / months for a show and 10 minutes (for 30 minute show) or 20 minutes (for an hour show) worth of commercials you are seriously dedicated to the show or just bad at managing your time or you are retired where you purposely waste time.

Seasons all at once with no commercials !!
Well HBO (and Disney +) don't have commercials so that part isn't an issue. I haven't had actual cable in about 4 years now. I don't know anybody under like 50 who uses a Tivo or DVR at this point. I know shows like Westworld, GoT, now Watchmen, we talk about at work every week. Those are all shows that our lab generally streamed the night of release.

I'm not against all at once release, but weekly is fine with me too.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Well HBO (and Disney +) don't have commercials so that part isn't an issue. I haven't had actual cable in about 4 years now. I don't know anybody under like 50 who uses a Tivo or DVR at this point. I know shows like Westworld, GoT, now Watchmen, we talk about at work every week. Those are all shows that our lab generally streamed the night of release.

I'm not against all at once release, but weekly is fine with me too.
Is tivo dead? Never used it before. I just figured they integrated every show into being stream-able which just eliminates you picking what to download and having everything stream-able from the get go.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Is tivo dead? Never used it before. I just figured they integrated every show into being stream-able which just eliminates you picking what to download and having everything stream-able from the get go.
maybe. I thought it was basically DVR. If it's just a way to stream like Roku, then I'm sure it still gets used.

Reactions: shoplifter

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
maybe. I thought it was basically DVR. If it's just a way to stream like Roku, then I'm sure it still gets used.
Oh wait, maybe I'm confusing tvio and dvr. Tivo was, pick a show to watch later and it records, correct? DVR ... well that was the same thing wasn't it?

I just mean, now, instead of YOU picking and recording personally for later viewing, now _everything_ is just stored on servers and essentially streamed now.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Oh wait, maybe I'm confusing tvio and dvr. Tivo was, pick a show to watch later and it records, correct? DVR ... well that was the same thing wasn't it?

I just mean, now, instead of YOU picking and recording personally for later viewing, now _everything_ is just stored on servers and essentially streamed now.
sure. But when it's weekly, I'll tend to watch it the night it comes out when it's something I am excited to watch. Especially since I know the group of us at work will want to talk about it.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
I dunno, I have no issue remembering what happened a week ago. And if I did, most shows where it would matter have recaps. I'm not saying you have to like weekly releases, but I am saying it doesn't make a steaming service ****. It's just a different option. As is waiting until a series is over then having it available to binge. Or vice versa, I could watch binge-released shows weekly.
Because jack all happened. Can't forget shit when barely anything happened.

1oE920P.jpg

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
I haven't been to Portland in a while, any interesting places I gotta check out?

I'd rather go to Seattle but I guess we're going to Portland 28-2nd.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Maybe not waste 3 out of 8 episodes on nothing would be good.

MWa6zwI.gif
Some stories are straight forward. And I'd say plenty happened, just none of it was complicated. Very little time spent on side stories, and the bits that are hinting at side stories are all happening at the same time as the main plot is going forward. No weaving between one story and another.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad