Blue Jays Discussion: Saunders > Bruce; Tulo and Bautista trade DL spots

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
We were very lucky another team didn't snap him up for their bullpen this past fall.

How many pitchers have ever been taken in the Rule 5 draft without having thrown a pitch in full-season ball?

I don't imagine any team ever put any kind of thought into drafting Perdomo.

metafour

Apr 6, 2008
How many pitchers have ever been taken in the Rule 5 draft without having thrown a pitch in full-season ball?

This. The thought that an MLB team was going to select a short-season ball pitcher who walked 16 in 21 innings so that they could put him in their bullpen is pretty absurd.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Wow, is he really that much of a wild card? I'd love to see the process that led to these numbers if you mind sharing!

Makes sense to me. He made 63 appearances last year and had 6 meltdowns, so 90% of the time he did well

*looks harder at post*

...oh

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site

How many lefties are 6'6 and have serious stuff? I can see why teams wouldn't take somebody who hasn't pitched above short season A ball but from a pure stuff stand point he was up there with the names picked in the Rule 5. I feel lucky in the sense that other teams overlooked the fact he could've been pitching in Full season ball last year and therefore wasn't as much of a long shot as it seemed.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
How many lefties are 6'6 and have serious stuff? I can see why teams wouldn't take somebody who hasn't pitched above short season A ball but from a pure stuff stand point he was up there with the names picked in the Rule 5. I feel lucky in the sense that other teams overlooked the fact he could've been pitching in Full season ball last year and therefore wasn't as much of a long shot as it seemed.

I doubt teams overlooked that. It's just that... when he's walking that many batters at short-season ball, it's hard to say "But hey, he could have been pitching in A-ball right now!" The stuff is obvious, so if he had shown any semblance of polish at that level, I'm sure it would have been a consideration.

metafour

Apr 6, 2008
I doubt teams overlooked that. It's just that... when he's walking that many batters at short-season ball, it's hard to say "But hey, he could have been pitching in A-ball right now!" The stuff is obvious, so if he had shown any semblance of polish at that level, I'm sure it would have been a consideration.

There are low-level guys with stuff available in the Rule 5 draft every year. Its really not that uncommon.

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
I was thinking Sean Doolittle would be a great add to the bullpen.

I like Doolittle but the A's are hesitant to move him given his contract and performance. If they do decide to move him, I wouldn't want to go near him given how much he will cost. I am not a fan of dealing quality assets for relievers (Ken Giles)

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
I like Doolittle but the A's are hesitant to move him given his contract and performance. If they do decide to move him, I wouldn't want to go near him given how much he will cost. I am not a fan of dealing quality assets for relievers (Ken Giles)

Yeah, I looked it up and realized he was on a long-term deal.

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
Yeah, I looked it up and realized he was on a long-term deal.

Fields is currently stuck behind guys like Harris, Sipp, Neshek, Gregerson, and Giles and was sent to the minors not long ago. He was extremely unlucky and has a track record of putting up elite numbers out of the pen. I've wanted the Blue Jays to acquire him for years and now would be the perfect time.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Fields is currently stuck behind guys like Harris, Sipp, Neshek, Gregerson, and Giles and was sent to the minors not long ago. He was extremely unlucky and has a track record of putting up elite numbers out of the pen. I've wanted the Blue Jays to acquire him for years and now would be the perfect time.

How has his performance been this year?

I have been spending some time the past week or so looking around for this year's version of Mark Lowe. A reliever performing well with no long-term commitment, who would cost virtually nothing to get.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
590 reporting there has been a shooting situation five blocks south of Coors Field. One person in critical. Suspect shot dead.

No indication the game will be affected.

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
How has his performance been this year?

I have been spending some time the past week or so looking around for this year's version of Mark Lowe. A reliever performing well with no long-term commitment, who would cost virtually nothing to get.

Fields was posting his usual K numbers (28.2%) but was posting his lowest career walk rate (4.2%) but was hurt by an inflated HR rate (previous 2 seasons he allowed nearly no homeruns) and bad luck (.457 BABIP) which has resulted in an ugly ERA (6.89) but his peripherals are strong (2.83 FIP). His hard/soft contact rates are close to his career norm as well. So overall, he is a perfect buy-low candidate and he's likely available due to the amount of arms ahead of him on the depth chart.

HamiltonNHL

Resigning Marner == Running it back
Jan 4, 2012
Wow, is he really that much of a wild card? I'd love to see the process that led to these numbers if you mind sharing!

I just think he's at home enjoying his newborn and real life has been taking a priority for him.

Before his injury he was 0-5 with a WHIP of almost 2.

Last year and the year before he's done quite well. I guess I just remember "The Lean Years" Cecil.

I guess I want Sanchez in the pen (and said so Opening Day) ... so I play up the weakness in our pen. I don't think this is going to be a good year for Cecil.

That calf injury from last year seems to have impacted him IMO.

I'm not saying he can't turn it around, I just don't see it happening ... or more importantly ... it's far from a guarantee and we need Sanchez in the pen.

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
I just think he's at home enjoying his newborn and real life has been taking a priority for him.

Before his injury he was 0-5 with a WHIP of almost 2.

Last year and the year before he's done quite well. I guess I just remember "The Lean Years" Cecil.

I guess I want Sanchez in the pen (and said so Opening Day) ... so I play up the weakness in our pen. I don't think this is going to be a good year for Cecil.

That calf injury from last year seems to have impacted him IMO.

I'm not saying he can't turn it around, I just don't see it happening ... or more importantly ... it's far from a guarantee and we need Sanchez in the pen.

Is a pitcher more valuable to the team throwing 7 innings or 1-2 innings?

HamiltonNHL

Resigning Marner == Running it back
Jan 4, 2012
Is a pitcher more valuable to the team throwing 7 innings or 1-2 innings?

(1) Take last night for example. Of course, there are many. Was the starter's hard work for naught ?
(2) The Jays have as many or more quality starts as the Cubs. The Cubs have lost 26. We've lost 37.
(3) Our pen is in desperation mode. I can only think of one guy who isn't injured or playing below expectations.
(4) As a general rule, it is more important to have better pitchers in the starter's role ... but not when the Jay's pen is as weak as it is this year.

If the Jays limp into the post season, you have to have some guys that can close out a game you are winning. Our pen is just not doing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad