Sarnia Sting 2024 - 25 Season Thread, Part I

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Definitely. Once Franceschetti returns I'm not sure how he enters the lineup again barring a number of injuries. Would prefer he be sent to the legionnaires or Strathroy but clearly not what they are doing as of now.

Wouldn't be surprised if at some point he's released & goes to the QMJHL like lominac. He could've gone that route his draft yr. That league will be better for him.

Reactions: JAMER

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Believe @stingwagoner mentioned it that he was assigned to Collingwood. Mixed feelings on it. Honestly thought he was giving them solid minutes, but I absolutely hate carrying 8D & it isn't fair to the players because that's 2D sitting most nights.

Him being 18 while Andersen is 17 & plays a more chippy style probably is another reason why it's Omeri sent down & not Andersen.

For him to be sent down also tells you they probably went around the league (just like with Chartier) & nobody showed interest.

Reactions: Ferda11

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
See if the boys can sweep the northern trip! Can't remember them doing it to often so it would be great to see.

Do worry about a little fatigue. A lot of travel. Flu bug been going thru the team all week as well.

Soo have also found their game now & have won 3of4. So gonna be a tough one as it always is in the Soo.

stingwagoner

Dec 31, 2023
Maybe little brotherly bonding will help them have bit more fight for each other. Sometimes just takes that little bit for a teammate to fight through a 3 in 4 road trip final game
Love the travel early in season that tends to help boys bond. Long season so I think 2 of 3 is a really successful northern swing but think they take all 3.
With a really tough 3 games next week love to see the sweep. Get alot of momentum heading into that. Surzycia should go today as he is rested and ready.

Yes, Omeri re-assigned to JR A with Collingwood, don't think they want to cut him loose entirely as an injury to bodin/young or Barr would put him right back in the mix.
Looks like a bit of a safety net for DS

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Definitely their worst game of the weekend which isn't to surprising. Big PPG from the captain to tie it up. Team definitely being to chaotic in their own end though.

Have a feeling it'll cost them. Hopefully Luecke is OK. That was an incredibly dirty hit by Carlisle.

Reactions: howler2 and JAMER

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Unfortunate result. Was an annoying game where Sarnia would control for long stretches then SSM would score (twice in the 2nd.) Played a terrific 3rd period then a harmless shot goes in. If it didn't hit anything that is one Surzcyia really needed to stop. They had given them almost nothing the previous 6-7 minutes, too.

Just wasn't their day & it sorta felt like it throughout. Hitting 2 posts on 3 shootouts shots summarizes it pretty well too, lol.

But, got a point & take 5 of 6 on the northern trip while battling the flu bug! Team played some damn good hockey this weekend, but this was definitely their weakest of the 3 which I expected. PP scores another goal, PK was perfect again.

Love seeing more spread out scoring. L1 (Wainwright) gets another, L3 (Kostuch) gets another, Johnston on L2 sets up Barr for his goal & the PP scores with Di Iorio & Edwards getting in on it.

Ton of good to take from this weekend. Hopefully Fischer is alright as he didn't play a shift in OT. He was having a great game too. Would've been nice having him in 3on3. Gotta rest up now before the school day game vs Flint.

Just quickly watched the end back & Fischer hurt his shoulder/arm/wrist on the final regulation shift. Threw a nice hit & didn't use the arm again. Man if he's out an extended period of time that'll be absolutely killer for this team. Especially with some heavy hitters upcoming.

Last edited:

jink1187

Aug 29, 2022
Sarnia
Not a great effort but still get a point. Nothing wrong with 5 of 6 points. Also Edwards with an assist he's now 1st in rookie scoring in the OHL not bad for a 3rd rounder who wasn't supposed to come over.
Was supposed to go the American route, but is definitely a Canadian kid!! Glad he chose ton play with the Sting. Kids got a bright future!!

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Di Iorio after starting pointless in 6 games has 2G/5A his last 5 games. Also 38/72 (52%) in the face off circle. He's about as strong a 2way player I can remember Sarnia having at 16. He makes probably 5 strong plays a game in his own end/on the PK.

Should be OHL rookie of the week as no other true rookie had a weekend as good as him. Not sure I can remember the Sting ever going back 2 back weeks with two different rookies if he gets it.

I know I said it Friday, but man oh man it is fricken beyond exciting they got him & Edwards in the same draft. Special talents.

stingwagoner

Dec 31, 2023
Was an ugly game at times and was decent game at times. 1 point better than none.

Not sure I agree with shooters in shootout but Coach clearly has favorites and doesn't look at analytics. Only 2 players that have scored a Shootout goal this season is.....
DI IORIO AND...

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
StingUpdates short story chapter 9:

I know it's so far away still & we've talked a bit about it before, but I really am so intrigued to see how Seca attacks the next year. Next season we will likely have a quality team.

OAs- Young, Johnston, Wainwright. That'll be a strong trio. Potentially two point per game Fs & Young should be a really solid OA D.

19s- Fischer, Bodin, Maillet. Already our top pair. Gonna be that much better next year. Fischer will be a top 5-7 D in the league probably. Too small a sample with Maillet to say what he is/could be.

18s- Brown, Kostuch, Karimov, Barr, Hurt, Bridgewater, Andersen, Luecke. Should be a strong group of 18s. Could be three PPG Fs. Hurt logs big minutes. I'm a big believer in Barr & his upside. Andersen is a fine depth D. Bridgewater shows good things but has to improve. Luecke just a depth F. Kapagerdis could be a wildcard in this as well.

17s- Di Iorio, Edwards could be as strong a duo of 08's the league will have. Chamberlain made the team as a rook. Has some exciting tools. Hopefully Gaughan can develop & see if Simpson, Garrett, Neusteter, Grovetsine can become anything.

16s- obviously no clue. Currently have 1st, 2nd, 4th, two 5ths, two 7ths, three 8ths.

Not saying it's a championship roster by any means, but definitely one that can compete for home ice IMO. Should have at least 7 strong Fs. All 7 D are returning from this years team. Goaltending be a big ? for sure. But you add one or two 19 year old Fs to that roster (OAs gonna be weak following year so could be well worth it) & maybe go for a 2 year stud (like Beck was) & that team would be pretty damn sick I think..

But, would it be smarter to wait one year for when the 2007s are all 19 & in their 4th season. Di Iorio/Edwards would be 18/year 3/coming off hopefully being drafted. Could be a really high upside core group.

If they decide waiting is better you could get a boat load for Fischer this yr, or next. Wainwright should be a damn good OA & would get interest if they wanted to deal him. Could fully stock up on picks for 26-27 (OHL mem cup yr also)..

I really do think the roster has sort of aligned in them going for it twice. But there have been teams in the past in similar situations & they decided to sell off a bit to fully stack up in the 2nd season (Oshawa has done it & it worked). You also risk spending assets next yr, not winning then the following year with a great core, you've handcuffed yourself & can't keep up with other contenders in trades & everything goes to hell & you somehow waste both teams.

What do y'all wanna see them do?

Last edited:
Reactions: Bavis Doyer

stingwagoner

Dec 31, 2023
Well this week will open alot other possibilities.
NCAA is voting to allow CHL players eligibility so that would really affect alot of this teams future plans.
Wainwright Johnston (don't think he is good OA candidate anyway, more I watch him, it's a bad pick up) and Young, 100% would jump to NCAA Next season and with possibilities of others at 19 making that jump if that vote goes through. The whole landscape of the OHL could dractically change, Making the league much younger overnight making it a go for it year next year and year after for us. Maybe we could persuade wainwright and young to stay 1 more year?
We will see how this all plays out by end of this coming week. D.S might have to be ahead of the curve and be more creative this year and next
Might be time to deal players like wainwright and young for assets to go for it next few years.
Just want to feed more information into the discussion what are everyone's thoughts on this?

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Well this week will open alot other possibilities.
NCAA is voting to allow CHL players eligibility so that would really affect alot of this teams future plans.
Wainwright Johnston (don't think he is good OA candidate anyway, more I watch him, it's a bad pick up) and Young, 100% would jump to NCAA Next season and with possibilities of others at 19 making that jump if that vote goes through. The whole landscape of the OHL could dractically change, Making the league much younger overnight making it a go for it year next year and year after for us. Maybe we could persuade wainwright and young to stay 1 more year?
We will see how this all plays out by end of this coming week. D.S might have to be ahead of the curve and be more creative this year and next
Might be time to deal players like wainwright and young for assets to go for it next few years.
Just want to feed more information into the discussion what are everyone's thoughts on this?
Smart thinking. If they make any commitments I definitely wouldn’t be keeping them the full season. IMO if any OHL players are thinking about going the NCAA route they should have a Dec 31 deadline to commit.

That gives their OHL clubs 10 full days to trade them if need be and still a lot of time for the kids to think about their future.

I can see some guys on the fronts Like Ethan Miedema/Matthew Soto maybe trying out the college route. Pretty scared for what happens as if the fronts try to go all in they’ll be relying on some of these guys to stay back so they can trade them and recoup assets. This new NCAA thing may screw up some teams futures in the next few years because of it.

Reactions: stinger94

stinger94

Jan 8, 2024
Smart thinking. If they make any commitments I definitely wouldn’t be keeping them the full season. IMO if any OHL players are thinking about going the NCAA route they should have a Dec 31 deadline to commit.

That gives their OHL clubs 10 full days to trade them if need be and still a lot of time for the kids to think about their future.

I can see some guys on the fronts Like Ethan Miedema/Matthew Soto maybe trying out the college route. Pretty scared for what happens as if the fronts try to go all in they’ll be relying on some of these guys to stay back so they can trade them and recoup assets. This new NCAA thing may screw up some teams futures in the next few years because of it.
All I know is I hope they implement this more thoughtfully than some of what they have done already with the NCAA transfer portal + NIL which is the complete Wild West (especially in college football but also portal can be problematic in hockey IMO).

If there aren’t rules in place that somehow put time windows on movement, agreements etc as you mention above CHL will likely get carved up here. Players are always going to do what’s best for them, and I certainly can’t blame them, but players leaving midseason etc would be disastrous.

Reactions: frontsfan67

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad