Sarnia Sting 2023-2024 Off-Season Thread (Part 1)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Seca says in observer they are gonna let the players play decide who makes it. Don't plan on making any trades until after camp/pre season.

Exactly how I hoped they'd do it. Gonna be quite a battle for those final couple F & D spots & in net. See if there are any surprise FAs like Lajeunesse/Doucette/Martin have been in recent years!

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Went to the legionnaires - strathroy pre season game tonight. Chamberlain (2024 5th), Denes (2024 9th) & Douglas (2024 U18 3rd) are all on the Rockets.

I really like what I saw from Chamberlain & I know people who watched him play all yr thought he was great value in the 5th. Elite/high end skater. Effortless in getting to top speed & going around guys. Reminds me a lot of Wainwright at the same age. Needs to get stronger, more assertive, trust his skills more, but really good foundation at 6'1" already with A+ skating & solid hands. Really defensively aware too. Could be a great bottom 6 C one day & if his offense comes along maybe more.

Denes was quiet thru 2 but was everywhere in the 3rd. Really skilled with the puck & easily could've gotten 2 or 3 points. Im guessing he has a solid year for them. Douglas I didn't notice much.

Says a lot about the legionnaires that the Sting didn't send anyone there, but they sent a ton close by. Unfortunate how much they've fallen off after being a top team for a long time.

New boards/glass really catch your eye. Love how the top of the boards near the bench are now black instead of blue. Definitely seeing a few more weird bounces tho than the old board/glass did haha.

Last edited:

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Went to the legionnaires - strathroy pre season game tonight. Chamberlain (2024 5th), Denes (2024 9th) & Douglas (2024 U18 3rd) are all on the Rockets.

I really like what I saw from Chamberlain & I know people who watched him play all yr thought he was great value in the 5th. Elite/high end skater. Effortless in getting to top speed & going around guys. Reminds me a lot of Wainwright at the same age. Needs to get stronger, more assertive, trust his skills more, but really good foundation at 6'1" already with A+ skating & solid hands. Really defensively aware too. Could be a great bottom 6 C one day & if his offense comes along maybe more.

Denes was quiet thru 2 but was everywhere in the 3rd. Really skilled with the puck & easily could've gotten 2 or 3 points. Im guessing he has a solid year for them. Douglas I didn't notice much.

Says a lot about the legionnaires that the Sting didn't send anyone there, but they sent a ton close by. Unfortunate how much they've fallen off after being a top team for a long time.

New boards/glass really catch your eye. Love how the top of the boards near the bench are now black instead of blue. Definitely seeing a few more weird bounces tho than the old board/glass did haha.
chamberlan had 4 goals in gthl league play, itll be very hard for him to score at a higher rate in the ohl.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
chamberlan had 4 goals in gthl league play, itll be very hard for him to score at a higher rate in the ohl.
Yah he certainly plays much like a 2way/passing C. Little to perimeter heavy. Hoping they tell him to use his speed to attack the net this yr in Jr B. But some guys just don't. Still like his chances at becoming a good 2way bottom 6 C & if any offense comes when he's 17/18/19 maybe a good 2C. But he'll have to take a nice jump with his shot, aggressiveness for that to happen.

cupcrazyman2

Jul 13, 2022

New boards/glass really catch your eye. Love how the top of the boards near the bench are now black instead of blue. Definitely seeing a few more weird bounces tho than the old board/glass did

The Legionnaires are not the Sarnia Sting’s farm team.That’s why you see prospects playing Jr B in several different cities.There is some sort of agreement between the two Sarnia teams as far as affiliate players go.

JAMER

Nov 13, 2019
Been looking around and noticed Sting goalie prospect Patrick Quinlan still hasn't signed any where. I wonder if there's a chance we could see him at camp.

Also noticed Sting prospect Nicholas Kosiba still hasn't signed any where for the next 2 seasons. He had 112pts in 58 games this past season for little Cesar's.

Reactions: davewheeler

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Not sure if it accurate or not, but the OHL website added pre season rosters of signed players. They have the new guys numbers as

Di Iorio #17
Gaughan #71
Edwards #81
Karimov #19
Bodin #73
Bridgewater #43
Maillet #30

Reactions: SarniaStingFan

SarniaStingFan

Jul 28, 2020
Been looking around and noticed Sting goalie prospect Patrick Quinlan still hasn't signed any where. I wonder if there's a chance we could see him at camp.

Also noticed Sting prospect Nicholas Kosiba still hasn't signed any where for the next 2 seasons. He had 112pts in 58 games this past season for little Cesar's.
I doubt that either of them will be at camp. Kosiba played in the USHL last season and has an NCAA commitment to Western Michigan. He'll probably be back in the USHL next season. Quinlan will still be on the USNDTP next season but I wonder if we could see him in 25-26

JAMER

Nov 13, 2019
Not sure if it accurate or not, but the OHL website added pre season rosters of signed players. They have the new guys numbers as

Di Iorio #17
Gaughan #71
Edwards #81
Karimov #19
Bodin #73
Bridgewater #43
Maillet #30
I was kinda surprised to see Lominac and otoole still listed. I was surprised at Lominac because I didn't think he was good last year and he took alot of dumb penalties plus he's 18. And Otoole because he's still not signed. I guess they could just be trying to fill spots though or trying to see if they've shown any improvement before they make a final decision on them.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
I was kinda surprised to see Lominac and otoole still listed. I was surprised at Lominac because I didn't think he was good last year and he took alot of dumb penalties plus he's 18. And Otoole because he's still not signed. I guess they could just be trying to fill spots though or trying to see if they've shown any improvement before they make a final decision on them.
I saw Lominac at the legionnaires game the other night. Was with Letang & Fischer. He looked noticeably bigger physically. But yah, he'll have to show a significant jump to stay with the team over guys who are 17.

O'Toole surprised them with his play last yr. I imagine they wanna see him after a full summer. But he's in really tough. Especially with Bodin added because he's a better version of what we wanted O'Toole to be if he made it (big, physical, mean).

I think there approach from the get go was let's see who's improved and who hasn't and then we'll decide our 13/14 Fs & 7/8 D.

stingwagoner

Dec 31, 2023
Rumour is a De-commit coming to camp any truth? Few days now I guess will be very exciting to see who shows up very tight lipped this year so far.

• Wow
Reactions: howler2

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Of the free agents the only ones who look maybe a little interesting are

Boris Genov. 6'0 Dman played in Compuware. Had 35 points in 60 games.

Brant Romaniuk. still only 16 until October. Undersized F at 5'9 had 57PTs in 57GP in the NOJHL.

The rest pretty pedestrian numbers wherever they played.

JAMER

Nov 13, 2019
If Genov has a good camp. I could see him replacing Omeri and O'Toole.

stingwagoner

Dec 31, 2023
Of the free agents the only ones who look maybe a little interesting are

Boris Genov. 6'0 Dman played in Compuware. Had 35 points in 60 games.

Brant Romaniuk. still only 16 until October. Undersized F at 5'9 had 57PTs in 57GP in the NOJHL.

The rest pretty pedestrian numbers wherever

Jj franchesschetti is F.A 2005, has 4 goals and 2 fights in 5 ex games in OJHL so far this year. Was 5th round pick to Erie in 2021 played in BCHL as well as OJHL where he had 20pts in 35 games plus 111 pim, those numbers are intriguing me

Doucette
Wainwright
Filak
Moses
Doherty
Lominac
Hall

Fischer
Young
Omeri
Otoole
Morin

Surzycia
Chartier
Mailett

Joining on friday to get into the mix with main camp

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
If Genov has a good camp. I could see him replacing Omeri and O'Toole.
I think those guys might already get replaced by Bridgewater or Kapageridis haha.

Fischer Young Barr Hurt Bodin are 5 locks. Leaves 2 spots for Bridgewater Omeri O'Toole Kapageridis Andersen.

My guess is Andersen makes it as 6/7. Plays the prototypical style of a 6/7 D (physical, pesty, works hard, PK etc.)

So leaves one for the other guys & otoole/Omeri are 18 while Bridgewater and Kapageridis are 17 & have better skills.

Reactions: Ferda11

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Doucette
Wainwright
Filak
Moses
Doherty
Lominac
Hall

Fischer
Young
Omeri
Otoole
Morin

Surzycia
Chartier
Mailett

Joining on friday to get into the mix with main camp
Franceschetti being 19 hurts his chances. Wouldn't be worthwhile to give him a spot over a younger guy if the gap isn't significant. But clearly he must play with some physicality & that could help him stick around as an extra F.

stingwagoner

Dec 31, 2023
Franceschetti being 19 hurts his chances.
I think it helps his chances because he can play 2 years in a mature role. In roll he needs to be, no development or waiting. Moses had the chance last year I think he wanted to be more than what they wanted from him.
Want to see even more how this plays out camp might be gritty this year fight for a spot.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
I like the mentality of the coaching staff / GM heading into this year. Seems to be a lot of talk about truly earning your spot. It's a widely used term I know, but this team has all of a sudden gotten itself into a numbers game for roster spots that most of us didn't really see as an issue heading into the off season. I like seeing guys at camp like this Franceschetti kid. We've been pleasantly surprised by FA's in the past but I agree that age hurts. Regardless, if like Stingwagoner is saying about Moses and his meh performance, a guy like Franceschetti could be there to give him a run for a spot. We all know Letang likes his older players, so I wouldn't say there's no chance of something like that happening lol.

I'm banking on a roster spot or two being taken by a guy we don't currently expect to get one. Seems to happen most years!

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
All starts tomorrow! As Ferda said gonna be a wide open camp. If any guys take their spot for granted they'll lose it. Probably Letang's opening message to the team.

Looks like they might do a mini rookie/young guy camp the first 2 days before the vets come in so see if any standout outside Brown/Kostuch/Hurt/Barr.

I've heard Karimov is having some visa issues so not sure he's here for a few weeks, but have noticed that for a few other imports around the league too.

Should be fun!

Reactions: Ferda11

HkyBeegs3

Mar 18, 2009
Sarnia
Bridgewater, hurt ,Ryder simpson anderson , di iorio brown gaughan all looking really good this am. Sim looking slow, idk where he's gonna fit in this year. 08's looking good this am. it's early. but looking good imo

Di iorio is the real deal..that's all I'm gonna say

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Got to see the 2nd rookie scrimmage. Brown & Di Iorio put on an absolute clinic. They get all 4 team white goals in a 4-2 win. 2 goals for black were from King (FA) & Kisil (FA).

Goals
White 1st - brown nice fake shot pass to Di Iorio who redirects it bar down.

Black 1st - King steals it & puts a nifty move on the G before roofing it.

Black 2nd - Kisil nice Deke at the line then goes bad down shortside

White 2nd - brown dangles Genov & then the goalie in tight

White 3rd - brown sick saucer pass to spring Di Iorio in & he snipes it.

White 4th - Di Iorio dangles 2 different guys before getting it to Romaniuk for a tap in

Standouts for white:
Di Iorio - kid is insane. There's literally nothing to dislike. Good size. Good skater. Elite hands. Elite shot. Works hard both ends. He's gonna be a special one.

Brown - was practically bullying some of team black lmao. Everyone tried but most of the returnees gave 70-80%. Not Brown. He was playing like a playoff game which I love to see. Looks faster, stronger, bigger. Playing like it too.

Hurt - u know I couldn't make a player post without adding Hurt in lmao. Man amongst boys at times. Was playing with his food it felt like. Skating looks really strong.

Osipenko - really solid showing from him in net. Made a couple great saves when it was 2-1/2-2. He has all the skills just so small..hopefully he grows over the next yr or 2.

Team black standouts:
Edwards - first time seeing him live. Very impressed. Great skater. So smooth with the puck. Loves carrying it thru the middle.

King - best FA by a mile. Great speed & he used it. Sweet goal & nearly scored another late. Wanna see him again.

Luecke - looks to have added some speed. He was flying at times. Looked confident with the puck.

Grovestine - steady in net. Really strong positioning. Thought he was best G at rookie camp in May & he looks good again.

Not sure if they are wanting them to be a duo but Di Iorio & Brown have instant chemistry. Playing the give & go game, always looking for one another. Gotta see them together more.

Franceschetti is interesting. I think he could play OHL but not much more than a 4th liner with bite. Which isn't bad, but not sure I want that in over a younger player.

Hate to say it but Sim ain't making this team. Saw no real difference size, skating wise. Has the effort and skills just not the 2 biggest things ya need. Sucks.

Bridgewater won fittest player at camp which usually means good things I find. Such a wonderful skater. Kapageridis isn't ready IMO. Not strong enough or good enough defensively.

Gaughan excites me but he'll take time. Bigger jump for him than most & it shows at times going against returnees. Solid size, skating, skills tho.

Don't wanna go on forever so I'll stop for now haha.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad