Sarnia Sting 2023-2024 Off-Season Thread (Part 1)

stingwagoner

Dec 31, 2023
still think DS will have his cards close and see how it all plays out into camp invite bunch of F.As like other years and improve the team. Team is rounding up.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
I wonder if we will see any trades starting tomorrow. With training camp just over 3 weeks away. I'm Starting to get really amped.
We will see the Guindon trade tomorrow to kingston for picks. Apparently London is cooking up something too but I’m not sure if they’re done or not but knights watcher posted about it.

Prob will be 2 or 3 trades tomorrow that’s my guess

Reactions: JAMER

stingwagoner

Dec 31, 2023
Ant update of possible players getting moved? Seems to be extra players if last years players all stay and new signees etc.

im hoping anyway, someone has to know

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Ant update of possible players getting moved? Seems to be extra players if last years players all stay and new signees etc.

im hoping anyway, someone has to know
Think as expected they are gonna let the players battle it out. Whatever guys earn spots the others get shopped around for any takers.

Reactions: howler2

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
Does anyone know when the OHL memorial cup bidding process begins? I've been pretty vocal that Sarnia should bid.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Does anyone know when the OHL memorial cup bidding process begins? I've been pretty vocal that Sarnia should bid.
It wouldn't be for a bit I don't think. OHL isn't host until 2026-2027. They usually don't announce who's hosting until the mem cup is happening the year before.

Reactions: davewheeler

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Don’t think they’d have it in the same division for back to back OHL years. But who knows. Make them say no.

Edit: 05/08 London Kitchener. Guess they’ve done it but those are the 2 premier venues in the league.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
They should bid but gotta think Kitchener is the big time favourite right now. Gotta think Kitchener, sarnia, Niagara are looking like 3 teams that could be in for it right now imo. I’d say Peterborough too but they’re not winning any bids with that arena.

Last edited:

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
They should bid but gotta think Kitchener is the big time favourite right now. Gotta think Kitchener, sarnia, Niagara are looking like 3 teams that could be in for it right now imo. I’d say Peterborough too but they’re not winning any bids what that arena.
I agree Kitchener would be tough to beat... They have had it before but it's been a bit so I'm not sure how that plays in. Get some new locations to showcase imo but obviously I'm bias.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
I agree Kitchener would be tough to beat... They have had it before but it's been a bit so I'm not sure how that plays in. Get some new locations to showcase imo but obviously I'm bias.
Completely agree. Id like a smaller city like sarnia to host it. Just think Kitchener’s 7000 seat arena and consistent crowds and fan support mixed with a good location around the GTA and they’re going to be really good- said in 2022 they were going to start building for this. Now they are and they’re looking pretty good so far.

I’d much rather sarnia but just being realistic here. Niagara will have a good team too and I believe they have bid for the last 2 maybe but that could be wrong. Regardless they have a nice arena and great fan support even when they suck. Just about the team for them imo.

Wish Kingston would make a bid but not much point with sarnia, Kitchener, Niagara all going to have strong teams.

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
Completely agree. Id like a smaller city like sarnia to host it. Just think Kitchener’s 7000 seat arena and consistent crowds and fan support mixed with a good location around the GTA and they’re going to be really good- said in 2022 they were going to start building for this. Now they are and they’re looking pretty good so far.

I’d much rather sarnia but just being realistic here. Niagara will have a good team too and I believe they have bid for the last 2 maybe but that could be wrong. Regardless they have a nice arena and great fan support even when they suck. Just about the team for them imo.

Wish Kingston would make a bid but not much point with sarnia, Kitchener, Niagara all going to have strong teams.
I do love the Aud...best arena maybe in the whole CHL. Kitchener getting it wouldn't be the end of the world it's pretty close to Sarnia ... it would just mean Sarnia would have to get there the old fashioned way.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
I do love the Aud...best arena maybe in the whole CHL. Kitchener getting it wouldn't be the end of the world it's pretty close to Sarnia ... it would just mean Sarnia would have to get there the old fashioned way.
Kitchener has been a house of horror for this franchise I feel like. Only gotten to round 2 what 4 times & they've bounced us twice, one with Stamkos, the other the Kyrou year. Arguably 2 of our 3 best rosters ever.

My guess KIT gets it with the seating capacity, familiarity with them hosting before & doing it well.

But we can always hope. That's if they bid anyways. It costs alot. Usually teams lose money & Legwand has soaked a ton into this team/arena already.

Reactions: frontsfan67

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
I know I’m just saying sarnia and kingston are 2 teams that haven’t even gone to the finals, let alone the m cup- that’s why I’m hoping you guys get it. First pick for me would be Kingston obviously but I don’t think it happens

Reactions: StingUpdates

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
With camp fast approaching who are 3 guys y'all are most excited/intrigued to see?

I'll go Karimov, Bridgewater & Chartier.

Karimov because from what I've seen & read we haven't had many like him lately. Strong, powerful scoring winger. The athletic ranked as an honorable mention for their 2025 1st round mock last week.

Bridgewater everyone knows I'm high on, haha. Really hoping to see him standout & staple that he's a regular. Also excited to see if he added on to his already electric skating.

Chartier is an obvious one. Not sure any player has more "pressure" on him than KC. If he doesn't take a step it puts us in a crappy spot & searching for our future G. If he takes a step we have a 3 year starter which could be massive & really be a relief.

Overall tho I'm stoked to see a ton of guys this camp. More than usual. So many young talented players to be excited about.

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
With camp fast approaching who are 3 guys y'all are most excited/intrigued to see?

Karimov because from what I've seen & read we haven't had many like him lately. Strong, powerful scoring winger. The athletic ranked as an honorable mention for their 2025 1st round mock last week.

Bridgewater everyone knows I'm high on, haha. Really hoping to see him standout & staple that he's a regular. Also excited to see if he added on to his already electric skating.

Chartier is an obvious one. Not sure any player has more "pressure" on him than KC. If he doesn't take a step it puts us in a crappy spot & searching for our future G. If he takes a step we have a 3 year starter which could be massive & really be a relief.

Overall tho I'm stoked to see a ton of guys this camp. More than usual. So many young talented players to be excited about.
For me it's Karimov, Doherty and Brown. Karimov because I have never seen him play and is a good prospect with size..... Doherty because it's time. He showed flashes last year I think this will be a breakout year...... Brown because from what I've seen he has put on some size.... I feel like the buzz are going to be a bigger and faster team all around this year.

Reactions: StingUpdates

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
not a sting fan but I’d like to chime in on this- Brown, Di Orio and Bridgewater would be my 3.

Brown is a projected first round pick for the 2026 NHL draft, interesting to see what he does in his -1DY after a good rookie season.

Di Orio very excited about because he’s the second overall pick obviously and should be a pretty fun player to watch. Have seen some of his highlight real goals.

Bridgewater should be a good puck moving d man. Real good GOJHL stats 27 points in 32 games as a d man. Interesting to see what he does for his draft year.

My honourable mention would be Edwards but he didn’t make it with how bright the stings future is. You guys are going to have one hell of a team in 2 years

stingwagoner

Dec 31, 2023
not a sting fan but I’d like to chime in on this- Brown, Di Orio and Bridgewater would be my 3.

Brown is a projected first round pick for the 2026 NHL draft, interesting to see what he does in his -1DY after a good rookie season.

Di Orio very excited about because he’s the second overall pick obviously and should be a pretty fun player to watch. Have seen some of his highlight real goals.

Bridgewater should be a good puck moving d man. Real good GOJHL stats 27 points in 32 games as a d man. Interesting to see what he does for his draft year.

My honourable mention would be Edwards

but he didn’t make it with how bright the stings future is. You guys are going to have one hell of a team in 2 years
I'm pretty pumped to see 3 players, especially play full seasons, Wainwright had tough start to season last year and from 3rd pine and 2nd PP unit had impressive stats with his Explosive speed and ability to make linemates better taking another step.

And I'm also pumped to see Brown play a full season as well has some really good aspects of his game and with more ice and full season think he is going to be a stud.

Finally I'm excited to see the 2 imports think they will be 2 big improvements to the team with BIG tough shut down D and an explosive RH winger

Biggest thing is can't wait for is, DS has something special up his sleeve with maybe a few free agents that's something I'm excited to see who shows up at camp to makes things even more exciting.
Just might be a Goaltender who knows, to throw a wrench into our Goalie situation.

Last edited:

HkyBeegs3

Mar 18, 2009
Sarnia
I'm pretty pumped to see 3 players, especially play full seasons, Wainwright had tough start to season last year and from 3rd pine and 2nd PP unit had impressive stats with his Explosive speed and ability to make linemates better taking another step.

And I'm also pumped to see Brown play a full season as well has some really good aspects of his game and with more ice and full season think he is going to be a stud.

Finally I'm excited to see the 2 imports think they will be 2 big improvements to the team with BIG tough shut down D and an explosive RH winger

Biggest thing is can't wait for is, DS has something special up his sleeve with maybe a few free agents that's something I'm excited to see who shows up at camp to makes things even more exciting.
Just might be a Goaltender who knows, to throw a wrench into our Goalie situation.
Excited to see the progression of all the defence in general, feel there's a real upside to the group if they all take a step this season!

Both import players will need to be impact players for us and I'm excited to see the dynamics they bring to the sting!

Finally, not too sure if it's excitement or what, but excited to see if we can finally have a younger goalie like chartier step up and take the crease over.

Should be a very exciting year for us, can't wait!

HolyRoller

Feb 1, 2010

Edwards?

Reactions: howler2

SarniaStingFan

Jul 28, 2020

Lots to be excited about for sure. I'll go with a few that haven't been mentioned yet:

James Barr because he was looking good in his rookie year before he got hit with mono (if I remember correctly) + injuries. I'll be interested to see if he'll go back onto the PP. He'll likely have to reclaim that spot after all the missed time.

Jack Bodin seemed to be a player that Seca really liked from the quotes that I saw after the import draft. He'll bring a different element to this team with his size and physicality. I'm interested to see if there's any untapped offensive potential in his game

Carter Kostuch was really good for the Sting after they acquired him at the deadline. I'll be interested to see if he gained some muscle in the offseason. I'm hoping he can bring his game up another notch in his draft year and become a driving force for the offence

It should be a really competitive camp which is good with the amount of young guys that are projected to be on the team. You want to push them to get better every single day.

A little off-topic but Sting fourth rounder Shane Neusteter played his first two exhibition games in the GOJHL with Komoka. He hasn't signed there according to the GOJHL transaction page but it seems like that's a possible landing spot for him

Last edited:

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Lots to be excited about for sure. I'll go with a few that haven't been mentioned yet:

James Barr because he was looking good in his rookie year before he got hit with mono (if I remember correctly) + injuries. I'll be interested to see if he'll go back onto the PP. He'll likely have to reclaim that spot after all the missed time.

Jack Bodin seemed to be a player that Seca really liked from the quotes that I saw after the import draft. He'll bring a different element to this team with his size and physicality. I'm interested to see if there's any untapped offensive potential in his game

Carter Kostuch was really good for the Sting after they acquired him at the deadline. I'll be interested to see if he gained some muscle in the offseason. I'm hoping he can bring his game up another notch in his draft year and become a driving force for the offence

It should be a really competitive camp which is good with the amount of young guys that are projected to be on the team. You want to push them to get better every single day.

A little off-topic but Sting fourth rounder Shane Neusteter played his first two exhibition games in the GOJHL with Komoka. He hasn't signed there according to the GOJHL transaction page but it seems like that's a possible landing spot for him
Very much intrigued to see Barr again..as you said he was running PP1 before mono & he did it better than anyone did for this team last year. Has all the tools to be a stud.

Neusteter did sign there. Saw it on his IG, also saw him play Wednesday when Komoka played at PASA vs the legionnaires. Definitely has a nice set of tools just gonna need a year to refine, improve them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad