Sarnia Sting 2023-2024 Off-Season Thread (Part 1)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JAMER

Nov 13, 2019
I've heard that Lominac has been cut or is expected to be cut. And Sim maybe cut or moved.

I also heard a rumour a few weeks ago but I only had one source at the time so I didn't want to say anything. But after today I've now heard this same rumour from 4-5 people now. And a few of these people I know and trust and a few of these people don't even know each other so IMO makes it a little more trust worthy. But from what I've heard I don't expect Filak to be around for to long. Because what I've been told is that apparently he doesn't get along very well in the dressing room.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: frontsfan67

jink1187

Aug 29, 2022
Sarnia
My grandmother was talking to some season ticket holders she knows at one of the scrimages. And they where telling her that their son is a trainer for the sting. And there son told them that Lominac has been or is expected to be cut. There son also said to them that Sim is most likely going to be cut or moved as well.

I also heard a rumour a few weeks ago but I only had one source at the time so I didn't want to say anything. But after today I've now heard this same rumour from 4-5 people now. And a few of these people I know and trust and a few of these people don't even know each other so IMO makes it a little more trust worthy. But from what I've heard I don't expect Filak to be around for to long. Because what I've been told is that apparently he doesn't get along very well in the dressing room.
So if someone sees this from the sting and it's true, you could've possibly just got someone fired. DELETE

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Forgot to mention it but very nice of the Sting to have a camera following the play on the big screen & they showed multiple different angles for goals that I hope they keep come regular season.

Definitely not a must but very nice to have especially the replays. Can't recall them ever using the big screen for camp before.

They also added a wall with names of all the guys who've made the NHL that played for the Sting which looks really nice imo.

JAMER

Nov 13, 2019
Forgot to mention it but very nice of the Sting to have a camera following the play on the big screen & they showed multiple different angles for goals that I hope they keep come regular season.

Definitely not a must but very nice to have especially the replays. Can't recall them ever using the big screen for camp before.

They also added a wall with names of all the guys who've made the NHL that played for the Sting which looks really nice imo.
It was nice to see them using the big screen.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Tell ya what Maillet looks the part in net. Him & Chartier with a good back & forth period. He looks very comfortable handling OHL shooters..very fast & agile in the net.

Chartier also looked strong..much more composed & calm. But only 1 period.

We might have a goalie battle on our hands!

Also; bodin is a big lad! Lol.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Leave the first full team scrimmage very very intrigued by what they are gonna do up front. I thought Lominac looked much improved. Much faster. Quicker decisions. His line with Edwards & Moses got both team black goals (only 2G of the game). First G, Lominac got around RD then chipped it to Edwards in the middle who sniped it far side. 2nd Edwards with a nice seem pass backdoor to Moses.

Sim isn't making it. Hall didn't see anything from. Franceschetti is making himself noticeable one way or another. Kid is a prick & I mean that in the nicest way lol. Owen King continues to impress. He really is reminding me of Doucette 2 years ago..blazing speed with some skill.

I don't wanna prop him up too high cause he's only 17 but my god Brown is having a camp..he was the best on the ice today & it wasn't close. Every single shift he's out there his line (with Di Iorio) dominates. He's playing every scrimmage as if it's a playoff game intensity wise.

Di Iorio is gonna be a star. His work ethic at both ends is genuinely so impressive. He's back checking hard against Wainwright, Filak & winning battles to stop chances on top of his great offensive abilities.

On D O'Toole was good. Big hit on Campbell (FA) & stuck up for Edwards after an iffy hit from behind. I love watching that kid play I'm just not sure he's making it. Gonna be very close. Andersen struggled. Omeri isn't gonna stick, like Sim I don't see enough improvement. Bodin is a giant & looked pretty good with the puck. Just needs to make decisions quicker & he'll be good.

Fischer's skating looks great. Man amongst boys at times. Just needs to not go full puck hog sometimes lol. Wainwright still ridiculously fast. Dallys Hibbert (FA D) had a good scrimmage too.

Chartier/Grovestine combine for a shutout. As I said Chartier looked good but only 1 PD. Grovestine impressed me again. He's showing about as well as a late RD goalie can. Maillet was really good. Osipenko was solid again.

As of now I gotta say I think Franceschetti, Lominac, King have surpassed Hall & Sim. Luecke has also looked much better.

Reactions: OSA

HkyBeegs3

Mar 18, 2009
Sarnia
what are your thoughts on Ryder Simpson? I feel like we may have something good potentially w him. only had a few viewings of him but I liked what I saw. definetly needs some time

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
what are your thoughts on Ryder Simpson? I feel like we may have something good potentially w him. only had a few viewings of him but I liked what I saw. definetly needs some time
Yah he has the tools. Reminds me a little of McIntyre a few years ago but he's farther along at 16..big, good skater, loves to play physical. Just needs to refine & improve & he'll be a solid player.

JAMER

Nov 13, 2019
I know this hasn't been mentioned in a while and I kinda didn't get involved in these talks at the time. But I'm starting to have questions about Haley's coaching abilities. I know it's just training camp but I've been to all but one scrimage and his teams have been fairly out played almost every time IMO.

Reactions: davewheeler

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Well Lominac must've read the board yesterday because he had himself a day & then some. 2A in the first scrimmage where his line was great & then in the 2nd scrimmage he has 3G/1A. His speed has improved a lot. Of the bubble guys he's also showing the best effort.

Grovestine pitches another shutout in net. I believe I saw him give up 1 goal in 3 scrimmages. He won't be on the team this yr, but I'm really excited about what he's shown. Looked really solid.

Chartier was under siege which I really wanted to see because that's when he really lost his composure last yr. He handled it much better, but only a scrimmage. He allowed only 1G in the 2 scrimmages. Couple dandy saves.

Bodin is massive. He'll need to up his pace of play, but he has all the tools to be a Dillingham type Dman. I wouldn't wanna piss him off lol.

Dallys Hibbert has really impressed as FA invite. King continues to show well. Gaughan has looked better each outing to me. Like his skillset.

Goals today

B 1 - Fischer PS bar down

B 2 - Bridgewater nice give & go w/Edwards. Lominac nice secondary.

B3 - Lominac steal then snipe on breakaway.

B4 - Young sweet long distance bank pass to mandarino who's stopped but ebound to Denes who roofs it on Maillet.

W 1 - Bennett takes huge hit from O'Toole but got it to Hall who goes 5hole on Chartier on breakaway.

B5 - Hibbert nice backdoor seem pass from right point to Lominac backdoor.

Reactions: JAMER

JAMER

Nov 13, 2019
Lominac has started to change my mind about him after today. And has shut up the rumors I heard about him getting cut. I hope he builds off today and brings his current play into this season. If he can come into the season and take way less needless penalties I could grow into a fan.

Also after watching the 2nd scrimage. My opinion on Haley's coaching abilities have only gotten stronger. After watching the last 3 scrimages where his teams have lost 8-2 2-0 and 5-1. I'm starting to think Haley isn't that good of a coach IMO.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Obviously still have black & white game but for me Sim, Hall, Omeri should be on the outside looking in. King, Lominac, Luecke have been considerably better. Franceschetti hasn't been as good as the last 3, but he's been better than Sim/Hall & would bring something we could use on L4.

My opinion on Kapageridis didn't change from yesterday. He has some exciting tools, but he isn't OHL ready. Unfortunately he might go elsewhere if we send him back, but he currently it not as good as Bridgewater & Andersen/O'Toole bring some edge/physical play as a 7th D.

The goalie battle will be a fun one. Chartier looked good as did Maillet. Surzycia being hurt could be a bad thing for him if both continue their good play into pre season.

As for Haley I feel we've all been pretty open that we question his abilities as an assistant, but I don't take anything away from these scrimmages on that front. They aren't coaching on the bench. His team was just weaker which u tend to see at camp sometimes.

JAMER

Nov 13, 2019
Well Lominac must've read the board yesterday because he had himself a day & then some. 2A in the first scrimmage where his line was great & then in the 2nd scrimmage he has 3G/1A. His speed has improved a lot. Of the bubble guys he's also showing the best effort.

Grovestine pitches another shutout in net. I believe I saw him give up 1 goal in 3 scrimmages. He won't be on the team this yr, but I'm really excited about what he's shown. Looked really solid.

Chartier was under siege which I really wanted to see because that's when he really lost his composure last yr. He handled it much better, but only a scrimmage. He allowed only 1G in the 2 scrimmages. Couple dandy saves.

Bodin is massive. He'll need to up his pace of play, but he has all the tools to be a Dillingham type Dman. I wouldn't wanna piss him off lol.

Dallys Hibbert has really impressed as FA invite. King continues to show well. Gaughan has looked better each outing to me. Like his skillset.

Goals today

B 1 - Fischer PS bar down

B 2 - Bridgewater nice give & go w/Edwards. Lominac nice secondary.

B3 - Lominac steal then snipe on breakaway.

B4 - Young sweet long distance bank pass to mandarino who's stopped but ebound to Denes who roofs it on Maillet.

W 1 - Bennett takes huge hit from O'Toole but got it to Hall who goes 5hole on Chartier on breakaway.

B5 - Hibbert nice backdoor seem pass from right point to Lominac backdoor.
It was nice to see Lominac do well. Despite what some may think of my past posts I don't want to see him do bad just might come off that way sometimes because of the way I write things. I'm not very good at writing my thoughts properly at times. But with that said I hope he does well and keeps it up.

Reactions: StingUpdates

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Brown says in interview with observer he's gone from 5'9", 158 pounds to 5'11", 180 pounds over the summer. He worked with the Toronto Maple Leafs skating coach & says he's definitely added some speed but also worked a lot on tight turns, pivots etc.

Very noticeable difference when u see him live. Also mentioned he and Di Iorio worked out together & that's resulted in some chemistry which has been very noticeable.

This week while only scrimmages has me so excited about having Brown, Kostuch, Di Iorio & Edwards as 4 major pieces up front all 17U. Not to mention Karimov who's a projected top 2 RD pick & only 17. The potential of that group is huge.

stingwagoner

Dec 31, 2023
Camp has been interesting thus far few players invisible even at rookie camp like sim and anderson and even doherty. So invisible Doherty didnt play second scrimmage.
Surzycia isnt hurt it clearly has been a team decision to see another goalie more.. good move by DS to sit surzyvia from games.
Surzycia was at rink with goalie coach this morning working out.

Camp is tough to judge as lines all jumbled and sometime younger guys don't see plays at OHL level develop and that affect vets showing, not getting puck when should etc.

Looking forward to a franchesschetti vs Otoole showdown black and white game.
Think that's only otoole chance to make team

stingwagoner

Dec 31, 2023
Camp has been interesting thus far few players invisible even at rookie camp like sim and anderson and even doherty. So invisible Doherty didnt play second scrimmage.
Surzycia isnt hurt it clearly has been a team decision to see another goalie more.. good move by DS to sit surzyvia from games.
Surzycia was at rink with goalie coach this morning working out.

Camp is tough to judge as lines all jumbled and sometime younger guys don't see plays at OHL level develop and that affect vets showing, not getting puck when should etc.

Looking forward to a franchesschetti vs Otoole showdown black and white game.
Think that's only otoole chance to make team
Odd men out
Omeri- footspeed hasnt increased just is step behind.

Sim- enough for favor to dad, he just isn't fast enough at this level to take a spot and be effective.

as for F.A just like franchesschetti what he would bring game in and game out need that. Was hoping moses would embrace that roll but just thinks he is top 6 and that wont help him this year with top 6 loaded with skill

Doucette
Wainwright
Brown
Kostuch
Dilorio
Karimov
Edward's (most excited about him)

Then 2nd tier group which few could get traded

Doherty
Hall
Filak
Lominac
Moses
Leuke
Gaughan
Franchesschetti- has something no one else at camp brings that is needed in O nowadays no fear and ability to get in other teams minds. He has been that.
Can't have all skill he has embraced his contribution to a team and that is something buzz needs still hoping moses learns his role because he could be that type player on 3rd/4th line as well
Something like 4th line franchesschetti hall moses grit, agitation and putting other teams on heels take care of business physical type line.

3rd tier close but shouldn't make team
Sim
King
Few others close

D locks
Fischer
Young
Hurt
Barr
Bodin

2nd tier
Bridgewater still way too risky needs to be coached to play steady D had speed to play just not sure on IQ yet.
Anderson (not much better than some guys here at times and isn't standing out much to me but has tools)
Omeri- kinda invisible to me speed an issue again this year too bad because he has offensive tools
O'toole (needs to be better and play with edge every shift take on all comers etc)

Few players at camp had flashes just not ready to take jump.

Goalies still looks to me
surzycia is 1
Chartier close second then mailett
The 2 08s left are great future prospect need year or 2 in Jr B to Refine. Hopefully 1 becomes legionnaires starter. Keep close. But are solid future looks bright

just my breakdown.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad