Sarnia Sting 2023-2024 Off-Season Thread (Part 1)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
I know this hasn't been mentioned in a while and I kinda didn't get involved in these talks at the time. But I'm starting to have questions about Haley's coaching abilities. I know it's just training camp but I've been to all but one scrimage and his teams have been fairly out played almost every time IMO.
I feel like he's just there because there is no one else. Go bust some heads isn't really a coaching strategy.

Reactions: JAMER

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
2nd & 3rd period of that B&W game was pretty entertaining! Physical play ramped up as did the pace. Maillet was terrific in net. He looks the part in net. Really intrigued to see him in pre season games.

Grovestine another blank sheet in net. I think he allowed 1G the entire week. I would not mind signing him and sending him down. Might be rushed but don't wanna run the risk he plays this well & get NCAA interest like Beamish did.

Franceschetti & King once again make an impact. It's not even close between them & Sim/Hall. I'd like to sign both, but know that won't happen. My guess is Franceschetti stays.

Bodin was really impressive today. Once he adjust he's gonna be a monster back there. Exactly what this Dcore needed. Bridgewater was good today & seperated from Andersen O'Toole Omeri Kapageridis as the 6th best Dman on the team all week IMO.

See what they do now before pre season! Also hopefully Surzycia Kostuch Doherty can heal up & Karimov can get the visa stuff figured out.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
how was the crowd? any fights
It was decent. Them having it on the long weekend & at 4PM must've hurt. Not sure why they chose it but whatever.

No fights, but there were a couple big hits especially Andersen on Chamberlain. Absolutely walloped him along the benches. Bodin had a big one. Franceschetti was running around throwing good hits. Intensity was really solid in the 2nd & 3rd.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
All in all I'm rather happy leaving camp. Young guys look like they've taken a step physically. Di Iorio & Edwards look very promising. Bodin showed well. Chartier looks better. Maillet looks the part. Grovestine & Osipenko showed very well for rookies, especially Grovestine. Some free agents made themselves noticable & have a legit shot to make the team.

Was hoping certain vets would look a bit better, but sometimes the veterans who r locks don't go all out so I'll wait before being to critical on them.

Just camp so can't get to high or to low on guys, but pretty encouraging stuff!

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Kostuch-Wainwright-Karimov
Brown-Di Iorio-Doucette
Filak-Edwards-Doherty

To me that's a pretty secure top 9 (lines are whatever.) Doherty would be the only one who I'd see a debate for, but he finished strong & hopefully can play like that over a full yr. Easily has best upside of the other Fs

That leaves Sim/Hall/Lominac/Moses/Luecke/Gaughan/Franceschetti/King for 3 spots..

I'd let Sim & Hall go unfortunately. Then it gets tight. Gaughan only 16. I wish we'd follow the London method & send him down to play top minutes, but we don't do that & he had options & I highly doubt he'd sign here to be sent down.

I really like what King showed. Elite speed, good shot/skills. I see a lot of Doucette and we see what he became in year 2 & hopefully year 3 after being a FA invite. But I feel they will let him walk. Lominac had a really good week. Looks faster & more confident but I don't think Letang has ever loved his decision making or discipline.

Luecke I like & think looks improved, but his spot is not locked up. I just don't see them trading him at 17 even if he gets beaten out. Moses I like. Always plays hard. Physical. Fast. In your face which Letang wants. Should be on L4.

Then there's Franceschetti. Really torn on him honestly. I wish he wasn't 19. I love what he brings & I know Letang & Seca do too & he's the type of player I guarantee they'd preach is their team identity/how they wanna play. Relentless/in your face/fight anyone/do anything for the team & has some semblance of skill. I just wonder with so many other Fs & them all being younger if that does him in. If they view it like that but wanna keep him wouldn't hate the idea at all of him being a 13th F who's next up after injury/poor play etc.

Sorry for the rambling haha. Just very fascinated by this week's camp. Haven't had many like this lately & I'm genuinely torn on what they should do.

HkyBeegs3

Mar 18, 2009
Sarnia
It's always a good thing to have tough "good" decisions to make. we haven't even seem Karimov yet and there's a big time optimism around him and the youth movement going on here in Sarnia. I guess letanger and co have some Key "good" decisions to make but I'm certain they do the right things. Excited for the season. More than likely alot of ups n downs but the pieces are in place I feel.
Probably will see Sim released or traded, not too sure anyone wants him also Hall, too many other options

Reactions: StingUpdates

stingwagoner

Dec 31, 2023
Really king today hope he stays made way bigger impression than alot of other prospects

Leuke average at best.
Sim not there invisible.
Even doherty to be honest but can't keep both him and franchesschetti - who I think brings alot more of what this team needs style of play from moses/hall/lominac

bridgewater shows his athleticism and speed covers well for his lower hockey IQ and needs to lean to slow down and make a pass better play way quicker because he isn't that offensive player. Not on this team.

think we will see trades either early in season of after ex games. If they let king go then if numbers open from trades then he would be 1st guy called back but because of numbers I dont think king stays just because leuke and sim are signed. That is too bad cause king improves the team but dont think he stays.
Franchesschetti stays can't pass up of what he brings and that would put pressure on lominac and moses and hall to play that same style or be moved we will see in ex games of it goes but like the minute competition there will be to perform of play how team needs.

Hopefully the Goalies get parked in Jr B and this season is about handing over to charts and mailett for future we need both playing 50/50 by jan!

Reactions: HkyBeegs3

HkyBeegs3

Mar 18, 2009
Sarnia
King more than likely deserves a spot but
probably doesn't make it, too bad. Francheschetti will make it.
Also, I get we drafted Sim mainly or partly because of his dad but seems like such a waste of a third rounder, kid just doesn't do it for me, not even sure we can get much if anything for him.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
King more than likely deserves a spot but
probably doesn't make it, too bad. Francheschetti will make it.
Also, I get we drafted Sim mainly or partly because of his dad but seems like such a waste of a third rounder, kid just doesn't do it for me, not even sure we can get much if anything for him.
Idk he was pretty legit in AAA hockey and everyone thought he would grow to be close to his brothers size and unfortunately it didn’t happen. Sting have had multiple bad picks in second and third rounds even multiple first rounders that didn’t pan out. London might take him for a very late round pick to be with his brother.

stingwagoner

Dec 31, 2023
Kostuch-Wainwright-Karimov
Brown-Di Iorio-Doucette
Filak-Edwards-Doherty

To me that's a pretty secure top 9 (lines are whatever.) Doherty would be the only one who I'd see a debate for, but he finished strong & hopefully can play like that over a full yr. Easily has best upside of the other Fs

That leaves Sim/Hall/Lominac/Moses/Luecke/Gaughan/Franceschetti/King for 3 spots..

I'd let Sim & Hall go unfortunately. Then it gets tight. Gaughan only 16. I wish we'd follow the London method & send him down to play top minutes, but we don't do that & he had options & I highly doubt he'd sign here to be sent down.

I really like what King showed. Elite speed, good shot/skills. I see a lot of Doucette and we see what he became in year 2 & hopefully year 3 after being a FA invite. But I feel they will let him walk. Lominac had a really good week. Looks faster & more confident but I don't think Letang has ever loved his decision making or discipline.

Luecke I like & think looks improved, but his spot is not locked up. I just don't see them trading him at 17 even if he gets beaten out. Moses I like. Always plays hard. Physical. Fast. In your face which Letang wants. Should be on L4.

Then there's Franceschetti. Really torn on him honestly. I wish he wasn't 19. I love what he brings & I know Letang & Seca do too & he's the type of player I guarantee they'd preach is their team identity/how they wanna play. Relentless/in your face/fight anyone/do anything for the team & has some semblance of skill. I just wonder with so many other Fs & them all being younger if that does him in. If they view it like that but wanna keep him wouldn't hate the idea at all of him being a 13th F who's next up after injury/poor play etc.

Sorry for the rambling haha. Just very fascinated by this week's camp. Haven't had many like this lately & I'm genuinely torn on what they should do.
Wainwright and Doucette should be together IMO

I'd go
Brown wainwright doucette
Kostuch DiLorio karimov
Filak Edward's doherty
Franchesschetti hall moses heavy bang line

Leuke, lominac, gaughan, fight for 3rd 4th line
Sim traded- bring back King way more upside and OHL ready.

stingwagoner

Dec 31, 2023
Idk he was pretty legit in AAA hockey and everyone thought he would grow to be close to his brothers size and unfortunately it didn’t happen. Sting have had multiple bad picks in second and third rounds even multiple first rounders that didn’t pan out. London might take him for a very late round pick to be with his brother.
Father connection for Sim surely hurting any chances here doing what needs to happen move him of release him. Just can't contribite at this level and it's tough spot.

jink1187

Aug 29, 2022
Sarnia
Father connection for Sim surely hurting any chances here doing what needs to happen move him of release him. Just can't contribite at this level and it's tough spot.
Not sure why you're so tuff on him. Doesn't play a bad game and does the little things needed to contribute on 4th line. His brother was a late bloomer as well. Young Sim tore it up in AAA. Still think it's early to jump the gun on letting him go.

stingwagoner

Dec 31, 2023
Speed is huge in OHL and Sim never had it didn't take a jump in this past off season while others have. Makes no sense to scratch him as he won't be helping team improve parked on 4th line when others clearly are above him. Just because of a father connection. Sure he Tore it up in weaker AAA doesn't always translate as demonstrated by out last bunch 2nd rd picks. Isn't fair for him either to stay when clearly it will be tough for him to stay in lineup. It's not giving up on him it's more like not being harsh and considering him as well and giving him better opportunities somewhere else, he is young and should play that's why it's actually in his best interests to move on. If his father was realistic he would request to move on as well, just best for team and Lane mutually. Just find him in tough to play as much as he needs as well as play others that deserve and worked for it more. We may disagree on this but right decision are sometimes hard to make.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
It's tough with Sim. I'd rather keep him & send him down for a bit, but they won't do that & it's unfair to him at 17 to be sitting a lot. They probably have more loyalty to him than the other guys solely because of the name & maybe he stays because of that, but I'd be pretty disappointed if he stays and King/Franceschetti get let go after seeing camp.

Hopefully they announce their cuts like other teams & we don't have to wait until the Windsor game lol.

stingwagoner

Dec 31, 2023
O' toole wasn't here today at BBQ must be on move. Hardly a "blockbuster" wasn't looking like O'toole had a spot for buzz or would have been hard pressed to get in lineup..

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
I'm no insider & I certainly wouldn't take my word as gospel, but heard we signed Franceschetti & went to check if he has any socials & his instagram motto says - Sting Hockey so I'd have to say that's a solid indicator haha.

O' toole wasn't here today at BBQ must be on move. Hardly a "blockbuster" wasn't looking like O'toole had a spot for buzz or would have been hard pressed to get in lineup..
Think it was a bit of sarcasm from Gens. Love O'Toole's game, but unfortunately (or fortunately depending how u look at it) they've put themselves in a good spot on D depth & knew he'd have to have a great camp to stick.

Wish we could've seen him get in a couple scraps as he's itching to get in them now without the full cage on. Wish him the best in OSH.

JAMER

Nov 13, 2019
I'm no insider & I certainly wouldn't take my word as gospel, but heard we signed Franceschetti & went to check if he has any socials & his instagram motto says - Sting Hockey so I'd have to say that's a solid indicator haha.

Think it was a bit of sarcasm from Gens. Love O'Toole's game, but unfortunately (or fortunately depending how u look at it) they've put themselves in a good spot on D depth & knew he'd have to have a great camp to stick.

Wish we could've seen him get in a couple scraps as he's itching to get in them now without the full cage on. Wish him the best in OSH.
Anyone know what we're getting back? I'm guessing just a late round pick right.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Did you just break an O'Toole trade????

Anyone know what we're getting back? I'm guessing just a late round pick right.
I'd guess somewhere between an 8th and a 10th round pick if I had to guess

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad