Sarnia Sting 2023-2024 Off-Season Thread (Part 1)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Is their a possible move coming involving him. Or are you just asking out of curiosity?
no I just saw the talk about too many f, he looks to be an easy cut. He should have played jr B at 16 not the OHL tbh

Reactions: JAMER

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
no I just saw the talk about too many f, he looks to be an easy cut. He should have played jr B at 16 not the OHL tbh
He did. Spent the yr with the legionnaires. Played 41 games. Came up at the end when they were done/out.

He finished last yr fairly strong which had us hoping he'd build off it & take a step, but thus far not seeing it. Not like Lominac Hall Sim are great options either.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
He did. Spent the yr with the legionnaires. Played 41 games. Came up at the end when they were done/out.

He finished last yr fairly strong which had us hoping he'd build off it & take a step, but thus far not seeing it. Not like Lominac Hall Sim are great options either.
fair enough.

With hall I never saw it I know you guys hyped him as this great two way guy but he’s just a vanilla player for me

Reactions: StingUpdates

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
fair enough.

With hall I never saw it I know you guys hyped him as this great two way guy but he’s just a vanilla player for me
More so me, I think haha. Was probably wishful thinking. Big kid, who worked hard & was good on draws. Was hoping he could become a good 3C, but his skating & offensive tools haven't progressed at all the last 2 years.

stingwagoner

Dec 31, 2023
More so me, I think haha. Was probably wishful thinking. Big kid, who worked hard & was good on draws. Was hoping he could become a good 3C, but his skating & offensive tools haven't progressed at all the last 2 years.
Still see he has value on 4th line with moses and lominac

Franchesschetti has move up for me to 3rd line option.
There are young guys that are ways away yet Gaughan could benefit from London type Dev and spend a year in JR B rather than scratch.buzz have too many F
Bottom 6 in order

franchesschetti
Edwards
Leuke
Lominac
Moses
Sim
Hall
Doherty
Gaughan 08 so will get the year in O

Top 6
Doucette
Wainwright
Filak
Brown
Kostuch
Karimov
Diorio
1 may fall to 3rd guessing Filak 3rd line C

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Lominac has been cut/let go.

Just didn't work out. I am a bit disappointed though they didn't let him play in a pre season game after a strong camp where he heavily outplayed Hall, Sim, Gaughan, Chamberlain.

Wish him the best!

Reactions: JAMER

stingwagoner

Dec 31, 2023

Just didn't work out. I am a bit disappointed though they didn't let him play in a pre season game after a strong camp where he heavily outplayed Hall, Sim, Gaughan, Chamberlain.

Wish him the best!
this is surprising as DS has been getting it right lately just not sure this is right move with doherty, hall and gaughan still here
I guess we will see who else heads out. Lominac was better at camp than sim, doherty, hall, gaughan probably at par with moses and leuke. Need lominac's grit hope moses gets the talking too finally to explain what his role on the team is... best of luck Denis!

Reactions: robp1219

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010

Wish him the best!
How things have changed

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
this is surprising as DS has been getting it right lately just not sure this is right move with doherty, hall and gaughan still here
I guess we will see who else heads out. Lominac was better at camp than sim, doherty, hall, gaughan probably at par with moses and leuke. Need lominac's grit hope moses gets the talking too finally to explain what his role on the team is... best of luck Denis!
Could be due to size…sim, lominac both small might not want to keep multiple small forwards in the bottom six.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Sim has better iq, sees the ice better, has better skills. Lominac bit bigger, faster & more gritty (also way more undisciplined)

Really couldn't keep both & Sim being a year younger probably played a part. Not sure Sim ever becomes anything because his size, but his upside is considerably higher than Lominac's.

I still am not sure Sim has a spot on the team & him sitting all the time in his 2nd yr doesn't seem good, but got a feeling they won't let him go.

stingwagoner

Dec 31, 2023
Liked sims last game however his size and speed limits his upside potential to me slower and 6-2" gets a pass for me but small and slower makes things very hard to be effective and help to team become exposed when he is on the ice 5 on 5. That's something we should be looking at for next 3 games. Can sim be effective on a 3rd 4th line?

JAMER

Nov 13, 2019
Chamberlain has been released by Strathroy to the Sting. So it looks like he's staying here for the season.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Chamberlain has been released by Strathroy to the Sting. So it looks like he's staying here for the season.
I said it last week I thought they were keeping him by how they phrased the article. He's going to northern with the rest of the guys, too.

I'm a fan of Chamberlain & think he could be a real nice value pick, but can't say I agree with them having him up for the season at all. He's got a solid foundation (6'2, elite skater, reliable defensively, good work ethic) but he really needs to develop offensively to become a T6 level F one day & I struggle to see that happening with him sitting most nights & when he does play only getting 8ish minutes.

It also surprises me when they already have so many Fs including three other 16 year olds. Makes it even more confusing what they are gonna do.

Wainwright/Filak/Doucette/Kostuch/Karimov/Brown/Di Iorio/Edwards/Franceschetti are locks. 100%. Leaves Moses/Doherty/Sim/Hall/Luecke/Gaughan/Chamberlain. That's 7 guys for 3 spots.

Moses - be disappointed to see go. Love the idea of him & Franceschetti in the B6. Need that grit, size with all this youth. Starting to have a gut feeling he might be dealt.

Doherty - slowly losing his spot, but at least he's shown he can produce to some level & I'd rather keep that than others who haven't shown that at all.

Hall - have said it since the start I think he's gone.

Gaughan - didn't sign from Pennsylvania to play Jr B. He'll be up, just probably not every night.

Chamberlain - clearly gonna be up, but also probably sitting a lot.

Sim - frankly I think should be cut/traded & I bet Letang knows it too. But I think we all know it ain't happening.

Luecke - I personally like. Good size. Great speed. Showed some bite in camp/pre season. I think he has more potential than every guy he's battling with except maybe Gaughan.

My gut says Hall, Doherty get moved & then I really can't decide who the other move is. Be Moses, Sim or Luecke. I hope it isn't Luecke. Would be bummed if it's Moses. Just not sure they will cut ties w/Sim yet.

Last edited:

stingwagoner

Dec 31, 2023
give seca a pass on sim it was from above, when the owner tells you to do something you do it.
Does chamberlain coming back mean Karimov isn't getting his Visa and we need the player for now? Chamberlain showed some upside and I think over Doherty, Hall, Gaughan and Sim great size and speed going to take some time forsure and I think JR B was the answer for him for the season but with some possible trades coming this might be a sign we will need him.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Does chamberlain coming back mean Karimov isn't getting his Visa and we need the player for now? Chamberlain showed some upside and I think over Doherty, Hall, Gaughan and Sim great size and speed going to take some time forsure and I think JR B was the answer for him for the season but with some possible trades coming this might be a sign we will need him.
he’s not ready and I’m not sure he’s anything better then Doherty now, he barely scored in u17, how can he score more in the OHL?

visas are random and up in the air. A few guys seem to have them, others not , it’s up to the Russian government

JAMER

Nov 13, 2019
Sting just posted on their IG story. Showing off Chartier's new pads. I think it might be safe to say he's sticking around.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Sting just posted on their IG story. Showing off Chartier's new pads. I think it might be safe to say he's sticking around.
They usually order those way ahead of time. Gaudreau had a new set then we dealt him..Maillet also has a new set & I imagine Surzycia does too.

The goalie battle is so tight. Seems as tho Surzycia is the clear 1. I imagine all 3 play next week with 3 games. See if Maillet or Chartier can distance themself!

Reactions: TonyB

stingwagoner

Dec 31, 2023
Goalies isn't the story, we have too many forwards still. This is something, we send 1 down to jr B, then we put lomanic on waivers, we bring player back from JR B. so confusing I get it we are missing 2 player but numbers hint we need to move 2 players

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad