Rumor: San Jose trying to trade Evander Kane

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
he coasts until the playoffs short of spurts here and there. Its not wrong and honestly, I wish a lot of the sharks better players would have done the same in the past but it does not build the right kind of culture.

I don’t think this is just a Couture issue. Thornton only scored EN goals for a whole season. I think after their Presidents Trophy season they realized that winning the regular season only hurt you in the long run.

On the issue of a fractured locker room, I think that’s obvious. Both EK’s don’t seem like a good culture fit for the Couture locker room. That’s not just off the rumors post here, it’s been obvious for a while. We have multiple sources all pointing to the same thing.

I am okay using this season to continue the rebuild. I am more afraid of bringing top tier talent like Eklund into a bad locker. I don’t know how you move some of these contracts, but I think you’ve got to.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
As in Karlsson wants Couture off the team, or Karlsson wants to leave?

I honestly regret saying anything tbh..

Im only getting one (tiny) side of the story, but what Ill say is that Couture and Karlsson arent close, at all.. And Couture is firmly intent on staying put in SJ as the captain, has no desire to ever leave.

Paraphrasing here, but he thinks that at least a couple of players that hes called out for being checked out in some way last season (in specific guys from a small clique together opposite of Coutures side) have already cried to their agents - some of whom are shared by other players on the team - and they want out if possible, or Couture gone lol.

But I guess a lot of it has to do with Couture getting tough(er?) on guys last season. Some guys didnt respond well or agree with it, And there were some harsh words exchanged after some loses last season. And he feels like he has managements full backing on this, and will be the one left stranding if/when the axes fall. Again greatly paraphrasing this all from a second hand source (and it was well before anything Kane related came out).

So I have no idea who (if anyone) has asked for a real trade yet, or if people are just sour and moaning to one another (Couture included). But I would be really suprised is that was one of the happier and cohesive locker rooms in the NHL right now, based on what most of us can see to be obvious. Imo...

Last edited:

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

Im only getting one (tiny) side of the story, but what Ill say is that Couture and Karlsson arent close, at all.. And Couture is firmly intent on staying put in SJ as the captain, has no desire to ever leave.

Paraphrasing here, but he thinks that at least a couple of players that hes called out for being checked out in some way last season (in specific guys from a small clique together opposite of Coutures side) have already cried to their agents - some of whom are shared by other players on the team - and they want out if possible, or Couture gone lol.

But I guess a lot of it has to do with Couture getting tough(er?) on guys last season. Some guys didnt respond well or agree with it, And there were some harsh words exchanged after some loses last season. And he feels like he has managements full backing on this, and will be the one left stranding if/when the axes fall. Again greatly paraphrasing this all from a second hand source (and it was well before anything Kane related came out).

So I have no idea who (if anyone) has asked for a real trade yet, or if people are just sour and moaning to one another (Couture included). But I would be really suprised is that was one of the happier and cohesive locker rooms in the NHL right now, based on what most of us can see to be obvious. Imo...

I think everyone had the understanding that the locker room was fractured but didn't know and still don't really know the particulars involved. Lot of us called out Couture's lack of leadership in how he's handled certain on-ice things as a captain but when you're a losing team, there are lots of things that need to be addressed.

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
I actually dont think he is a bad teammate, at least in San Jose, he is just a bad professional. There hasnt been anything about Kane his whole tenure with the Sharks till now. I believe the meat of why his teammates want him out is cause he shows up late and misses practices and such
Sure, but that is being a bad team-mate. It's selfish and bad for the morale of the team.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California

Even if all of this is true, Karlsson's contract is basically immoveable, and if the org doesn't want Couture (who also has a contract that no one will want without significant assets going along with him) gone, then they're stuck at an impasse with no clear solution.

Got One Cup

Jun 3, 2008
Will be interesting to see if any GM out there is stupid enough to take him even at 50% retention. He is a PR nightmare.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015

The funny part about all this is that Kanes on ice work ethic puts Couture to shame.

I've never seen a player who floats more and engages less be so critical of his teammates. Couture is a big problem as well.

If Couture of all people is the guy who is coming at me after a tough loss, I wouldn't take it well either.

Last edited:

BlueSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Ship everyone off for picks and just kill the beast already. I don't think that locker room can be saved and what's going on is now dragging any sort of hope of a real rebuild out. Change the culture and for the love of God, shoot DW into the sun.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Heard a rumour from a source that I trust - Logan Couture is not a fan of Evander Kane, at all. Lol. Is what Ill say delicately. And hes got more opinions on the Sharks roster too..

Lol hilariously enough I heard in the same conversation that there is another EK on the Sharks that hes not particularly fond of, and wishes that the Sharks would part ways with him (which is apparently a mutual feeling thats not yet become public).

I guess Ive heard that Couture is a bit of a workaholic by nature, and hes not seeing the same level of effort from this particular player - and he was kindly told to pound sand when he tried to have a constructive chat with that player about his concerns...

I can tell you for absolute certain that the Sharks are a fractured mess inside the locker room right now, like 10 times worse than what the public actually knows about. There are factions within the room and lots of them. And unless they revert back into the old Sharks and breeze their way into the playoffs, ill be shocked if they havent traded one or more of their big name players.
I’d like a place in the Dylan Gambrell locker room faction, we would play ping pong, do Hunger Games together, shop for huge TVs, and battle the EK and Couture factions

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Even if all of this is true, Karlsson's contract is basically immoveable, and if the org doesn't want Couture (who also has a contract that no one will want without significant assets going along with him) gone, then they're stuck at an impasse with no clear solution.

Totally true, although it think LC might disagree with you on his value around the league.. But part of what he said definitely noted the lopsided value between the two players, and that hes very wanted around the league (but will never leave SJ)... And believes that trades would have already happened if not for some of those contracts (again greatly paraphrased here but that was the point).

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
Totally true, although it think LC might disagree with you on his value around the league.. But part of what he said definitely noted the lopsided value between the two players, and that hes very wanted around the league (but will never leave)... And believes that trades would have already happened if not for some of those contracts (again greatly paraphrased here but that was the point).
Well of course Logan's gonna think he's still worth something around the league. From the outside, it's not that he's a bad player or anything, he's just on the wrong side of 30 on a high-AAV long-term contract that's gonna end when he's close to 40, with all of this being in a flat-cap in a league where most contending teams are having cap problems. And if teams do want him, but he's unwilling to leave, then he's stuck here and the room is gonna need to figure out something quick.

If all this is true, I appreciate his loyalty, but ultimately something's gotta give at some point.

Chris Lean

Aug 10, 2021
His career is in jeopardy, not sure why now is the time to trade him. Have to imagine there are 0 teams in on him. He’ll end up in Russia sooner rather than later to get a check and blow it all.

simply put, this is the dumbest player the nhl has seen since mike Richards

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Well of course Logan's gonna think he's still worth something around the league. From the outside, it's not that he's a bad player or anything, he's just on the wrong side of 30 on a high-AAV long-term contract that's gonna end when he's close to 40, with all of this being in a flat-cap in a league where most contending teams are having cap problems. And if teams do want him, but he's unwilling to leave, then he's stuck here and the room is gonna need to figure out something quick.

If all this is true, I appreciate his loyalty, but ultimately something's gotta give at some point.

I completely agree with you on him and the Sharks predicament. Its beyond brutal when you consider the rest of their contracts we havent even mentioned.

But for what it's worth, even my source thinks hes a bit of ass... But also quick to note that hes a great guy to have on your side, and very fair and treats everyone completely as equals regardless of their roles or status - if your in with him, that is.

Basically my impression of Logan is that hes a the type of person where your either one of his guys - and it's a good place to be mostly (you just have to ignore him sometimes) - or your on the outside looking in. And he wants to make that an uncomfortable place for anyone out there.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
He just posted pick on his instagram 20h ago where he has the sharks sets on and skates on. Y'all seen it no? The Real deal no?

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
I interpreted that to mean that Cooch wants Karlsson off the team and Karlsson wants Couture off the team.
Wow sire. Karlsson has been so worst, that I ain't even surprised if some of the sharks players want him gone. Must be frustrating to play ice hockey with him. He ain't the same man he once was. The contract is horror like brando for real.

The sharks have some real talented good guys, but right now it seems to be a fantastic mess of everything. GM doug wilson imo made it happen long time ago. Keeping captains who were stripped off the C... the only team that did that in professional sports. I mean they had three (3) former and current captains still playing... pavelski, marleau, big joeyo. That's weirdo right there sire. Wilson made it like a fun club for men with money, to have fun and play with their fantastico land at the same time. Not all bout hockey, but for fun and life too. The fun club might be over now. But the identity is long glued there.

DepressedSharksFan

Jun 7, 2020
upload_2021-8-11_10-2-24.png

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I rarely use this word, but watching a Thompson and Kane fist fight would have been absolutely epic. Thompson could probably still be able to go toe to toe vs Kane.

Be that as it may, it’s hard for me to side with the coaches when the team’s power play stunk and nobody was really good at it and they made little effort as a staff in way of coaching whether it’s changing personnel or strategy. Kane has only been good on the power play in spots but the Sharks have been good there for a while before this staff has kind of bungled it.

Reactions: Figgy44

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
His career is in jeopardy, not sure why now is the time to trade him. Have to imagine there are 0 teams in on him. He’ll end up in Russia sooner rather than later to get a check and blow it all.

simply put, this is the dumbest player the nhl has seen since mike Richards

Thats an insult to Mike Richards, jeez

Reactions: Stimpythecat
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad