Rumor: San Jose trying to trade Evander Kane

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bizz

Slacked for Mack
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
That’s idiotic for SJ. They obviously hang onto Kane and if guilty void the contract. If not guilty they play him a d attempt a trade later.

There's a report going around that he has been late or skipped practices and meetings, and has lost the respect from some of his teammates. This is separate from the off ice issues he's having. I'd trade him for Drouin in a heartbeat.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
I think Kane is done in the NHL regardless of what the verdict of the investigation turns up. The Sharks were basically his last chance, and as the poster above me mentions, they have come to regret it. Where there is smoke, there’s fire. I just don’t think the NHL can let this slide without having it bring the integrity of the game into question. Player with a known gambling addiction gives enough of the appearance of impropriety that he will need to get clean before anyone touches him. San Jose included. If he isn’t done done, he is going into some kind of rehab and not playing for a good minute.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
As much of a scumbag as he seems to be, I'd be truly surprised if any actual, concrete proof surfaced of him betting on hockey games.

Given that, his legal problems are all off the ice, and as such, I fully expect him to be in uniform and ready to go when training camps open. It's not like he's the first professional athlete to have financial problems, be going through a messy divorce, or just generally being an a-hole. We can all be morally outraged, but unless somebody actually proves he did something illegal that would prevent him from competing, he's still going to have a job come the fall.

Idk, does the wife have access to text messages or emails? Did he bet from his phone? Was he involved with anyone else that might flip on him? I’d say the odds are against it, but there are avenues to pursue.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
I think what that poster meant to say is that he wasn't the type of bad teammate that ends up in confrontations/fights/arguments with teammates, and generally gets along with everyone. His (supposed) missed practices/late appearances are bad though. So two different interpretations of being "a good teammate."

Where there’s smoke there is fire and there’s I giant plume over EK’s head. Idk if he’s bet on NHL games. Idk how far his issues have gone with teammates but obviously there’s stuff going on behind the scenes. We just don’t know to what degree at this point. At the very least, missing practices and being late shows disregard for your teammates and is a terrible example for the young guys. It also puts pressure on the coach which can lead to further problems. How does the coach/GM respond? Do they lose respect? Is it harder for them to discipline guys. If there’s leadership on the team then you have to believe guys have spoken to EK.

Reactions: Slimmy

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Where there’s smoke there is fire and there’s I giant plume over EK’s head. Idk if he’s bet on NHL games. Idk how far his issues have gone with teammates but obviously there’s stuff going on behind the scenes. We just don’t know to what degree at this point. At the very least, missing practices and being late shows disregard for your teammates and is a terrible example for the young guys. It also puts pressure on the coach which can lead to further problems. How does the coach/GM respond? Do they lose respect? Is it harder for them to discipline guys. If there’s leadership on the team then you have to believe guys have spoken to EK.
Yeah, it's a bunch of "who knows" at this point. Definitely Kane has problems. I just think those problems are sometimes misinterpreted.

Bizz

Slacked for Mack
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
If DeAngelo can get another shot, so can Kane

more like if Antonio Brown (who's done far, FAR worse things than Kane) can get multiple shots, so can anyone. As long as they have the talent there are GMs that'll look past any issues, especially when that talent can be had at bargain bin prices.

Mordoch

Oct 19, 2019
I think Kane is done in the NHL regardless of what the verdict of the investigation turns up. The Sharks were basically his last chance, and as the poster above me mentions, they have come to regret it. Where there is smoke, there’s fire. I just don’t think the NHL can let this slide without having it bring the integrity of the game into question. Player with a known gambling addiction gives enough of the appearance of impropriety that he will need to get clean before anyone touches him. San Jose included. If he isn’t done done, he is going into some kind of rehab and not playing for a good minute.
I don't think this is realistic in terms of the "regardless of what the verdict of the investigation turns up" part.

The reality is Kane has a guaranteed contract and there is no way the players association would allow the contract to be cancelled if the NHL can't show at least a certain level of proof regarding gambling specifically on NHL games. (The other stuff certainly does not allow them to cancel the contract and the Sharks would be in a very poor legal position if they tried arguing they could cancel the contract just due to Kane gambling in general.)

Since a buyout is simply way too expensive in terms of money right now, once the investigation is done if the Sharks really want to be rid of them they can trade him, although might be tricky to do so. (In other words his trade value might be low given the size of the contract compared to the other issue, especially if the concern is he might have secretly gambled and the NHL couldn't prove it on top of his other baggage but he might do it again and get caught.) On top of the realities of the contrast, as long as he is contributing on the ice the off ice baggage is going to have be something extreme such as being shown to actually be gambling on NHL games to keep him from playing right now.

Reactions: gunnergunther

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
There isn't a single team that will trade for Evander with all his current crap he has going on. Only way he gets traded, is if he is LTIR'ed where he won't actually be on a team.

Reactions: MikeK

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I can’t speak for other teams but I cannot see the Devils wanting him even though he is exactly the player we need in a huge way . Devils are all about building a strong positive culture where the team is like a family . They have tons of impressionable kids on the roster and no way in my opinion would Fitz touch him even if he was free to obtain. It really sucks as Kane is a very good player and plays the game hard with skill but … so far he has done a good job of trying to piss it all away

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
Shame they can't trade him to the some KHL team for Bag O'Pucks. I hear O'Pucks is a great player with unlimited potential...

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
There isn't a single team that will trade for Evander with all his current crap he has going on. Only way he gets traded, is if he is LTIR'ed where he won't actually be on a team.

Agreed. I said the same. As long as he's an active player he's untradeable.

Reactions: Oddbob

DieselBoy

Mar 18, 2007
I can’t wait for his next Player’s Tribune article where he says how he wished it would have worked out in San Jose and how he just wants to get back in the playoffs. I’m sure once he’s gone from San Jose the stories will come out.

Boose Brudreau

Guddbranson is a paper tiger
Nov 27, 2006
If DeAngelo can get another shot, so can Kane
maybe, but the financial obstacles are way bigger here. Tony D cost the rangers less than $1.4mm spread over 2 seasons to buy out and Carolina is paying him about what a 3rd pair defenseman would make. Kane is going to cost you $20mm against the cap, spread out over the next 8 years to buy out. maybe they'll find a team wanting to offload a shit contract in exchange for the headache, but i wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that to happen. Kane is as toxic (and expensive) as they come IMO....hard to get anything done there. I bet Doug Wilson is praying the league suspends him indefinitely and he can simply void the contract.

Reactions: JoeCool16
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad