Rumor: Sam Girard for forward help [ MOD warning # 274 ]

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
As a Habs fan,i am not interested in Losing Anderson for Girard

A 27-year-old Josh Anderson is of very little help to a team in our position and might very well become a liabilty at the tail end of his contract. He is, however, a trade asset that can help a contending team.

Edmundson is coming back

Irrelevant. Different type of player, fulfilling a different role.

we have Romanov,Norlinder,Harris,Guhle,Struble and Fairbrother on the left side

These are just names. I've seen hundreds of them since I've been following the team. We'd be lucky if one of them grows into a player of comparable impact to Girard's.

Maybe if Girard was taller but he is 5'9''....

That's a head scratcher. What does his height have to do with anything?

Last edited:

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Bergevin should be all over this. Habs desperately need a top-4 puck moving defenseman.
I would offer any of Drouin, toffoli, Armia + pick if necessary
Drouin and Armia are not gonna cut it.

Toffoli might, perhaps, but we need someone to play with Suzuki. You also don't want to trade away a UFA signing, that actually wanted to play in Montreal, halfway into his deal. It's hard as it is to lure them here. It will be even harder when we'll be coming out of our rebuild if we treat them like that.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Habs fans will disagree, but Avs fans will want more. Anderson offers a big body with speed, but he also scores at less than 0.5 ppg in every season except 2018-19. I would argue if he was on a sweet heart contract he’d have a similar value, but I think you put the points together with his contract and the value leans towards the younger player who provides a bit more all around.
It's all right to want more and perhaps something could be worked out, but probably not what you have in mind.

You have to consider the dynamics of the market, as well as between these two teams. If the Avs can get a better and more useful piece than Anderson, go right ahead. If not, then your perception of Girard's "on paper" value has a limitited impact on what the Habs would be willing to offer. You either think Anderson can help to put you over the top, or you don't. The Habs are in no rush. On the contrary, they actually get rewarded for sucking.

In other words, unless someone is really high on Girard and is willing to pay, you may be disappointed with the return in a vacuum, in terms of "on paper" value. But at the same time, you might just get a missing piece for your Stanley Cup hopes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Perratrooper

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
It's all right to want more and perhaps something could be worked out, but probably not what you have in mind.

You have to consider the dynamics of the market, as well as between these two teams. If the Avs can get a better and more useful piece than Anderson, go right ahead. If not, then your perception of Girard's "on paper" value has a limitited impact on what the Habs would be willing to offer. You either think Anderson can help to put you over the top, or you don't. The Habs are in no rush. On the contrary, they actually get rewarded for sucking.

In other words, unless someone is really high on Girard and is willing to pay, you may be disappointed with the return in a vacuum, in terms of "on paper" value. But at the same time, you might just get a missing piece for your Stanley Cup hopes.

Girard is 23 and signed to a steal of a contract for 5 more years after this one.
If we don't like the value or offers, we have no need to trade him anytime soon. I wouldn't anways.
Keeping him and trading Toews in a year or two is the smarter play IMO.
Atleast nobody will talk bs about his size and ridiculously discount his value the way hfboards currently likes to do with Girard.
He is earning basically only half of what the likes of Hamilton and Jones are making right now and those guys are certainly not 2x as good. Not even close.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Girard is 23 and signed to a steal of a contract for 5 more years after this one.
If we don't like the value or offers, we have no need to trade him anytime soon. I wouldn't anways.
Keeping him and trading Toews in a year or two is the smarter play IMO.
Atleast nobody will talk bs about his size and ridiculously discount his value the way hfboards currently likes to do with Girard.
He is earning basically only half of what the likes of Hamilton and Jones are making right now and those guys are certainly not 2x as good. Not even close.

Fair enough.

teoberto

Mar 13, 2021

I believe that if the Habs are able to add a piece that we can flip to SJ for Hertl (pick or player), there is a deal to be made

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Girard has to be used in a sheltered offensive role. Personally I don't want Girard but we don't really have anything that would hurt to lose.
He is a top-3 D in Suzuki's age and signed long-term to a very reasonable contract. He also brings a dimension that we sorely lack on our blueline and does it at an elite level. All of that makes him a potentially core player.

We're dealing from a position of strength and Anderson, specifically, is of limited usefulness to a rebuilding team like ours. Also, with our cap structure, he's a potential cap risk.

Considering the above, this is absolutely a deal to make, if at all possible.

Of course you need to deploy Girard to his strengths. We did the same with Petry, when Weber was being sent out on suicidal missions. It's only a question of extent and whether it's worth it, or not.

Now, if you told me someone was offering some more attractive piece for Anderson, then forget Girard.

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
Kadri is an above average center at best, and would perform extremely well on the 3rd line. He is too streaky and too suspended to go into that top 10-15 tier of 2nd line centerman.
If Avs fans repeat the same thing enough times then it must be true. Never mind not a single one of you is able to make any sort of argument other than "because I say so."

newmanager

Feb 5, 2010
Call us? Why do people in these threads act like they actually have a say or this is real life? I see this all the time lol

It is kind of funny at times. Another funny one is people in here thinking they're NHL caliber scouts from watching U tube videos as opposed to going into the arenas to see the kids perform. I guess people live in their mind somewhat, some more than others.

Reactions: Guy Larose

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
The only two things out of Montreal I’d be interested in are Suzuki and Caufield, even if the Avs had to add to Girard for Suzuki. And I completely understand why Montreal fans wouldn’t want to go there.

I don’t see Montreal as a good trading partner even though they probably would badly want Girard. They only things they have that solves what the Avs are looking for, they wouldn’t want to give up.

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
Dude, do you ever do anything other than bash Avs fans? Do you have a life? Apparently you don't because that is literally all you do on here. You need a hug, bro?
Do you ever present a cogent argument? Or do you just get upset when groupthink is challenged?

Peter Peckerwood

Aug 6, 2020
9764 Jeopardy Lane
Do you ever present a cogent argument? Or do you just get upset when groupthink is challenged?
When have you? I've never argued anything specifically. Nice blanket statement and non-answer.
Of all of the insufferable posters on this site, you have the privilege of being the only one on my ignore list, so you needn't reply.
Bravo!

Last edited:
Reactions: Shane Diesel

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Right, so I'm biased for thinking he's a Top 30 Dman. But all the "idiot" writers and all the statistical models that support Girard being a Top 30 D in the league... Oh that's right discredit them because you think advanced stats are dumb.

Well, if those writers and the mathematical models are idiots... Boy that must make you something truly special :laugh:

What a clown show you've proven to be. Thanks for the laughs at least. That's usually all idiots are good for anyway.
Glad you had yourself a laugh, we could all use more laughter in our lives. If you don't want to address any of the actual points laid out in my post, that's fine. You don't owe me anything. Personally, I could do without the petty insults tho..but I guess if your feelings are hurt and you feel the need to lash out then no worries, I can take it.

I do find it pretty rich that the poster saying Girard is a top 20 dman because team shooting based metrics is calling ME an idiot. For the record, I love advanced stats. When taken with proper context they provide extremely valuable insight that is often overlooked by the old school eye test. Advanced stats are not dumb, and I'll thank you not to put words in my mouth. What IS dumb is people abusing advanced stats without proper understanding of what information the metrics actually capture, then regurgitating them without proper context to push a biased narrative. It's like when people post some tweet with a colorful graph and say "hurr durr, see player A is trash!", without taking into account the team around the player/the amount and type of minutes played/quality of competition and teammates/etc.

An actual 23 year old top 20 dman signed for 6 years at a $5 million cap hit would be worth an astronomical amount...seriously, that player would be one of the most valuable assets in the entire NHL. Such an asset would almost never appear in a legit trade rumor. Nobody would consider trading an asset like that, it would be franchise altering. There are only a handful of players in the league that wouldn't be available if an actual asset like that came on the trade block. Yet avs fans are aiming for a 2C to replace Kadri...hmmm...

Reactions: biturbo19

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I like Girard as a player, but Girard is not going to return a C of any significance.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
I like Girard as a player, but Girard is not going to return a C of any significance.

Yeah.
Because a top pairing D who after tonight is 1 pt shy of being PPG for the season at the tender age of 23 with 5 years left after this one is not worth a C of significance...

hfboards is ridiculous as usual I guess.
Girard had one bad series against Vegas plus a slow start to the season (after 4 points tonight it still looks pretty amazing statistically at least so far) and all of a sudden he is worth nothing of real value...
Of course..

So I guess Quinn Hughes is not worth (or would not return) a center of significance either I presume?

I have no desire to trade Girard anyways. Love the dude. But these hottakes about him are ridiculous right now.

Reactions: Linds

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad