Rumor: Sam Girard for forward help [ MOD warning # 274 ]

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
What a difference how opinions change that a few games make lol

Alot of Avs fans and rival fans wanted him traded just last week haha.. there were comments in threads all over the place!!

....when really, if Avs fans do actually want him still traded like they did all year up till a few games ago, this is the time to do it... when his trade value just increased massively!!
A few great games won’t change his trade value. Just like 6 poor games didn’t change his trade value in June.

His trade value is almost certainly exactly where it’s been all along. A top pairing defenseman on one of the best contracts in the league who happens to be a little undersized. His value is high but because of his size it isn’t what that upper tier of defenseman would be.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
A few great games won’t change his trade value. Just like 6 poor games didn’t change his trade value in June.

His trade value is almost certainly exactly where it’s been all along. A top pairing defenseman on one of the best contracts in the league who happens to be a little undersized. His value is high but because of his size it isn’t what that upper tier of defenseman would be.

No he is not a top pairing D in the NHL, he knows it else would not have accepted 5m, COL knows it else they would have needed to offer him more money. He is playing with a strong offense, Barrie was posting better numbers when in COL and he was traded with Kerfoot for Kadri and a 3rd. Sure he only was one year away from UFA when traded so that lowered his value but he now still is signed close to what Girard is getting.

Girard is by all accounts an undersized very talented puck mover and well suited for 2nd pair duties, not more not less :)

By the way Toews was scoring at a similar pace than him last season, is he also a top pairing D man ? If so the value is limited to 2x2nds ? COL is a great team, it inflates the player's numbers esp. when they face a lot of weak teams as was the case over the past two years.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
No he is not a top pairing D in the NHL, he knows it else would not have accepted 5m, COL knows it else they would have needed to offer him more money. He is playing with a strong offense, Barrie was posting better numbers when in COL and he was traded with Kerfoot for Kadri and a 3rd. Sure he only was one year away from UFA when traded so that lowered his value but he now still is signed close to what Girard is getting.

Girard is by all accounts an undersized very talented puck mover and well suited for 2nd pair duties, not more not less :)

By the way Toews was scoring at a similar pace than him last season, is he also a top pairing D man ? If so the value is limited to 2x2nds ? COL is a great team, it inflates the player's numbers esp. when they face a lot of weak teams as was the case over the past two years.
Yes Toews is a top pairing D lol. He’s a borderline #1. He’s better than Girard.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012

I find him to be a good 2nd pairing guy that does well on the PP. I myself wouldn't call him a first pairing dman.

Many teams would be interested in him in a trade though with that contract.

One thing that I'll never forget tho is seeing him exposed last playoffs. Seems like he struggled with post season play

Reactions: go4hockey

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I find him to be a good 2nd pairing guy that does well on the PP. I myself wouldn't call him a first pairing dman.

Many teams would be interested in him in a trade though with that contract.

One thing that I'll never forget tho is seeing him exposed last playoffs. Seems like he struggled with post season play
One round he definitely struggled. He also has plenty of playoff experience where he thrived too. But yeah that Vegas series was brutal.

Reactions: Skinnyjimmy08

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019

MacKinnon didn’t even play last night and Girard had 4 points. Maybe these Colorado defenceman are just really good…

I don’t know if people realize this, but Girard hasn’t played on the Avs top power play unit since Makar arrived. He was an elite play driver and 5v5 point producer last season and it looks like it’ll be the same this year. Girard can get cycled on, so he needs someone to play with who can help him with that. Outside of that he’s actually solid defensively.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019

Alot of Avs fans and rival fans wanted him traded just last week haha.. there were comments in threads all over the place!!

....when really, if Avs fans do actually want him still traded like they did all year up till a few games ago, this is the time to do it... when his trade value just increased massively!!
Most Avs fans only entertained trading him because Eichel was available.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Yes Toews is a top pairing D lol. He’s a borderline #1. He’s better than Girard.

I agree. Girard is a top 20 D-man but the VGK PO showed me that he needs the right D-man partner to help him out in the Avs transition game when the game turns physical. Can play on top pair but is better suited to 2nd pair. I would only trade him to fill a position of need, 2C.

How much do you think Toews will be asking on his new contract?

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Thank you for your counter, but we will decline.
I went with fair value proposal. Your choice to say yes or no.

Drouin is trash. He’s a negative value contract to most teams. Avs included.

give us a good scoring prospect in Caufield and high 2nd round pick in 2022 and maybe Avs consider it.

Reactions: Dr Amazing

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I truly understand how tired you must be of Drouin trades to Avs but come on now.

Caufield and Girard have similar values, two midget one proven in the regular season the other proven in the playoffs
Avs very likely say no to Caufield, 2nd round pick in 2022 and Droiuns terrible contract for Girard.

sam is, by far, the best player in this trade. Caufield has potential to be a very good second line wing.

habs don’t look anything like a playoff team and the NHL isn’t going to Jerry rig the rules to sneak in a 12th seed again. Caufield may not sniff the postseason for a while.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
I truly understand how tired you must be of Drouin trades to Avs but come on now.

Caufield and Girard have similar values, two midget one proven in the regular season the other proven in the playoffs

Girard was a full time NHL player at the same age as Caufield. Caufield has put up 6 points in 20 NHL games, Girard has put up 6 points in his last two games. Caufield has potential to be a great top 6 winger, Girard IS a top 3 defender under the age of 25 signed for 5 more seasons. Potential is great, but Girard has already played at an extremely high level for an extended period of time. He’s going to get more familiar with how to play against heavy forechecks as he plays more.

I’m not saying one day they couldn’t have similar value, but right now the difference in value is massive.

Reactions: Richard88

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

Girard signed his contract like 3 years ago. Long before he broke out in the league and at the time he signed it that was pretty close to the going rate for top pairing Dmen that were still RFAs.

And yes, Devon Toews is most certainly a Top pairing quality Dman. He was only traded because the Isles ran out of cap space to keep him.

josra33

Aug 11, 2008

You do realize he signed that before he was established right? Edit: I won’t even read the rest because your initial comment was blatantly wrong so I’m going to assume the rest is ignorant too.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Girard signed his contract like 3 years ago. Long before he broke out in the league and at the time he signed it that was pretty close to the going rate for top pairing Dmen that were still RFAs.

And yes, Devon Toews is most certainly a Top pairing quality Dman. He was only traded because the Isles ran out of cap space to keep him.

So a top 2 Dman is traded for 2x2nd ? You don t think half of the league would have paid more for a top 2Dman and that he would be paid more than 4x4. I like Toews and Girard but come on, if they are top 2Ds, what are Makar Heiskanen Hedman Ekblad Josi … ?

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
You do realize he signed that before he was established right? Edit: I won’t even read the rest because your initial comment was blatantly wrong so I’m going to assume the rest is ignorant too.

Ok ok the Avs have 3 top 2D men and are the greatest team on earth. Just a reminder that Barrie was posting better numbers in COL, is he a top 2 Dman too ?

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Ok ok the Avs have 3 top 2D men and are the greatest team on earth. Just a reminder that Barrie was posting better numbers in COL, is he a top 2 Dman too ?

No because he was always iffy defensively.

Girard isn't. He had trouble physically against Vegas but aside from that for his size, he is actually really, really good defensively.

Toews is even better defensively (but arguably not as good offensively).

The Avs IMO have clearly the best D in the league if everyone is healthy (which they never are unfortunately) so yeah the Avs have 3 top2 D.
Maybe even 4 if Byram pans out...

Peter Peckerwood

Aug 6, 2020
9764 Jeopardy Lane
It has been widely decided by other team's fans that Girard's juice isn't worth the squeeze, or worth scraps.

There's no point to this thread anyway as the Avs don't appear to be in a position to trade him even if they had been truly entertaining the idea.

Linds

Makalder
Jun 20, 2016
Canada

Majority that understand roster fundamentals still do. We have 4 top pairing d men and are thin on top 6 forward depth and have been getting hit hard with injuries

Cenzo_

Dec 11, 2006
Montreal
Girard was a full time NHL player at the same age as Caufield. Caufield has put up 6 points in 20 NHL games, Girard has put up 6 points in his last two games. Caufield has potential to be a great top 6 winger, Girard IS a top 3 defender under the age of 25 signed for 5 more seasons. Potential is great, but Girard has already played at an extremely high level for an extended period of time. He’s going to get more familiar with how to play against heavy forechecks as he plays more.

I’m not saying one day they couldn’t have similar value, but right now the difference in value is massive.

yes let’s disregard Caufield scoring 12 pts in 20 playoffs games, when things really count. Also how many pts did Girard score in his first 20 regular season games, 5. This means very little as you can see.

Caufield is one of the best prospects in the game at the moment and teams are willing to pay a lot for that potential.

Girard is fantastic but was pretty much exposed during the playoffs. Size matters much more for Ds than Wings and this lowers Girard’s value even though he puts up lots of pts

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad