Player Discussion Sam "Dikembe" Montembeault

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

red devil

Oct 14, 2004
He's not in a position where he holds all the cards. It's not like he will go elsewhere as a UFA and get a 5-year deal there.
Jack Campbell got a 5 year deal for 1 decent year. Don't underestimate what a desperate GM would do, to get a goalie he thinks can help the team win.

Reactions: rickthegoon

MadMslm

Jun 16, 2018
Jack Campbell got a 5 year deal for 1 decent year. Don't underestimate what a desperate GM would do, to get a goalie he thinks can help the team win.

Campbell had pedigree though.

He was seen as the next big goalie, and at the time he was the highest drafted goaltender since Price. He had great performances at the u18 and u20.

Things went south a bit after he got drafted. It took time for him to find his way, after multiple echl and ahl trips.

He was good with Los Angeles in his last year there, and then had two good seasons with the Leafs.

Other than a two week period with the Armada in the playoffs, I don’t remember Montembeault having that much success.

I like that he’s a fighter, but for me he’s still unproven. He never finished a season with less than 3 goals against per game. He has things to work on to be considered a real starter.

Reactions: Guillermo

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006

He was seen as the next big goalie, and at the time he was the highest drafted goaltender since Price. He had great performances at the u18 and u20.

Things went south a bit after he got drafted. It took time for him to find his way, after multiple echl and ahl trips.

He was good with Los Angeles in his last year there, and then had two good seasons with the Leafs.

Other than a two week period with the Armada in the playoffs, I don’t remember Montembeault having that much success.

I like that he’s a fighter, but for me he’s still unproven. He never finished a season with less than 3 goals against per game. He has things to work on to be considered a real starter.
Campbell was 30 years old and a reclamation project after being thought of as a 1st round bust. He also had disappointing first round losses two years in a row. Monty's 26 and still on the rise. If he has another season close to this past year, someone will likely pay him.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
You have to look at Montembault’s numbers throughout his entire career. In 7 years pro, he’s only had one season above a .900 save percentage and that was this year. He’s also played very limited games everywhere he’s played as well. He played really well this year for what he was given, but no team is committing to him until he shows a lot more which works well for us as we were the first team to give him a real opportunity and we want to see more ourselves.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Give him a 'good back-up goalie' type contract or you are asking for problems.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Campbell was 30 years old and a reclamation project after being thought of as a 1st round bust. He also had disappointing first round losses two years in a row. Monty's 26 and still on the rise. If he has another season close to this past year, someone will likely pay him.
Monty could bet on himself next season. Test UFA waters in '24.

JuJu Mobb

Dec 9, 2009
Vejmelka 3y x 2.725

Eric Comrie 2y x 1.8M

I think Monty gets more than Comrie, maybe a little less than Vejmelka.

My offer is 2y x 2.5M.

Reactions: Redux91

ML16

Aug 28, 2020
Montreal
Vejmelka 3y x 2.725

Eric Comrie 2y x 1.8M

I think Monty gets more than Comrie, maybe a little less than Vejmelka.

My offer is 2y x 2.5M.

Reasonable. I would also consider testing the waters on a longer deal (3-5 years), if Montembeault’s open to a AAV under 3.5 AAV.

This signing window would fit the Habs’ projected transition from lottery pickers to contenders; Montembeault either rises up to the occasion and officially gains G1 status upon renewal or he ends up holding (hopefully adequately) the fort while another goalie emerges to take on G1 when the Habs are ready for contending.

MadMslm

Jun 16, 2018

I wouldn’t have signed him to that contract, but Campbell wouldn’t be the first highly touted player to bite back after a disappointing start of career.

He was around Montembeault’s age when he finally found some success with the Kings.

2018-2019 : 30gp - 2.30 - .928
2019-2020 : 26gp - 2.80 - .900
2020-2021 : 22gp - 2.15 - .921
2021-2022 : 49gp - 2.64 - .914

Playoffs :

7gp - 1.81 - .934
7gp - 3.15 - .897

Not that Monty can’t be better or continu to develop well, it’s just Campbell had more of a track record before he signes that contract.

And with goaltending all over the place right now, someone will definitely pay him if he has a good season but I doubt it will be at Campbell’s numbers.

I like Monty and the fact that he’s a fighter who won’t let bad goals affect him, but for now I still have my doubts about him. He’s been good at the WC, let’s see if he can transfer that success in the NHL.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Reasonable. I would also consider testing the waters on a longer deal (3-5 years), if Montembeault’s open to a AAV under 3.5 AAV.

This signing window would fit the Habs’ projected transition from lottery pickers to contenders; Montembeault either rises up to the occasion and officially gains G1 status upon renewal or he ends up holding (hopefully adequately) the fort while another goalie emerges to take on G1 when the Habs are ready for contending.
I think this is a solid option. Goalies emerg all the time, and Monty can be a stopgap until we have the right guy acquired/developed. He might become a decent trade chip if we help him continue to blossom a bit by giving him the starters gig. Under 3.5 isn't bad at all either.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
I wouldn’t have signed him to that contract, but Campbell wouldn’t be the first highly touted player to bite back after a disappointing start of career.

He was around Montembeault’s age when he finally found some success with the Kings.

2018-2019 : 30gp - 2.30 - .928
2019-2020 : 26gp - 2.80 - .900
2020-2021 : 22gp - 2.15 - .921
2021-2022 : 49gp - 2.64 - .914

Playoffs :

7gp - 1.81 - .934
7gp - 3.15 - .897

Not that Monty can’t be better or continu to develop well, it’s just Campbell had more of a track record before he signes that contract.

And with goaltending all over the place right now, someone will definitely pay him if he has a good season but I doubt it will be at Campbell’s numbers.

I like Monty and the fact that he’s a fighter who won’t let bad goals affect him, but for now I still have my doubts about him. He’s been good at the WC, let’s see if he can transfer that success in the NHL.
Fair points on Campbell.

Gord Miller and Mike Johnson mentioned the other day that Monty had one of the highest saves above expected saves percentages (or whatever that fancy stat is) in the NHL this past year. He was tied with Oettinger. Monty stole a lot of points for a not so great Habs team that was extremely green on the blue line.

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
people here think a guy who struggle to get .900 and play 4 games in a row will get a bag of cash

lmao
I think that some posters are undervaluing Mr. Montembeault, he has played behind some very bad rosters here and has still shown us plenty of good goaltending. Give him a few years with a better more experienced D core and see what we have here. I would rather have him at 4-5 million a season if he continues to play well over another 10 million dollar goalie.

Reactions: Rapala

MadMslm

Jun 16, 2018
Fair points on Campbell.

Gord Miller and Mike Johnson mentioned the other day that Monty had one of the highest saves above expected saves percentages (or whatever that fancy stat is) in the NHL this past year. He was tied with Oettinger. Monty stole a lot of points for a not so great Habs team that was extremely green on the blue line.

He does rank 13th overall for goal saved above average, same position as Oettinger.

And let’s be honest, he played on a worse team than all of the 12 goalies ahead of him. So there’s definitely some good things there.

He definitely stole a few points and had some massive performances, this year will be a big one for him. If he becomes the starter, he will have more pressure and it’s time for him to put up better numbers.

I’d just feel more comfortable if we had a blue chip goalie in the pool for the long term plans.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
I think that some posters are undervaluing Mr. Montembeault, he has played behind some very bad rosters here and has still shown us plenty of good goaltending. Give him a few years with a better more experienced D core and see what we have here. I would rather have him at 4-5 million a season if he continues to play well over another 10 million dollar goalie.
He's not going to get so much cash.

He'll get around 2.5M IMO.

Jul 6, 2016
Too bad for Monty that Hughes went overboard and signed Allen for two more seasons at 3,8 M $ each.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

He does rank 13th overall for goal saved above average, same position as Oettinger.

And let’s be honest, he played on a worse team than all of the 12 goalies ahead of him. So there’s definitely some good things there.

He definitely stole a few points and had some massive performances, this year will be a big one for him. If he becomes the starter, he will have more pressure and it’s time for him to put up better numbers.

I’d just feel more comfortable if we had a blue chip goalie in the pool for the long term plans.

I believe he might have been top 5 in 5x5 expected goals/60 min.

It is very common for goalies to break out after turning 25 and he does have decent pedigree as he was a 3rd round pick which is relatively high for a goaltender and did make a WJC team as a backup G, so it is not as though he was an unknown commodity. TBH pedigree means very little with goalies which is why teams are hesitant to take them early.

He was better than most starters this season and has looked the part at the Worlds so there is reason to believe that he may have arrived. He will need to prove it over a longer period but there is a real possibility that he may be the goaltender that we were looking for.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Too bad for Monty that Hughes went overboard and signed Allen for two more seasons at 3,8 M $ each.

Allen is tradeable, maybe not for much of a return but he can be moved or he can back up Monty, either way it doesn't matter to Montembeault.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
With Monty, it's all about consistency. He's had stretches where he looks incredible, and others where he just loses it.

What makes him hard to project is how will he play behind a good team? Expectations change, how does he handle that? I suppose this tournament provides a glimpse, but it's a short tournament too.

Reactions: Guillermo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad