Player Discussion Sam "Dikembe" Montembeault

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
:laugh:

I think he'll end up as the #1, as well. And it's not just this tournament that made me think that. The guy's been solid for the Habs most nights he plays. He's responsible for a bunch of the points Habs picked up along the way, much to the dismay of many.

He's clearly motivated at getting better. Just look at the gains he has made since we acquired him. I think he might end up a Halak type 1B or 2A type.

However, not many goalies can sustain a high level for 3+ years in a row. Monty's best years might have started last year and with 2 or 3 more.

I prefer two goalies like Monty and Allen during our transition years. Makes one of them earn it if they get 50+ starts where the other gets 30-. If not, they end up 41/41 split and that is fine too.

Jul 6, 2016
Same here.

If I'm not mistaken, I think Allen even mentioned to the team that he felt Monty needed to play more often.
Allen is not an idiot. He could be the backup goalie playing 30 games a season with a 3,8M $ salary for two more years.

Reactions: Tyson

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Monty is about to enter his final year of his contract...his improvement from his first season as a Hab until now has been very promising.
Does KH extend him soon, for how long and at what cost?
What is his ultimate upside?

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Monty is about to enter his final year of his contract...his improvement from his first season as a Hab until now has been very promising.
Does KH extend him soon, for how long and at what cost?
What is his ultimate upside?
I would play this season out. If we fall out of picture, Monty could be big trade chip at dead line

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I would play this season out. If we fall out of picture, Monty could be big trade chip at dead line
What is "big"?

A 1A/1B goalie with no Playoff experience is not going to fetch much at the deadline. Maybe a 3rd rounder.

I would try to extend him now for 2-3 years at $2.5M AAV

Last edited:

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
No negociation with Montembeault yet

Goalies like him are available EVERY year on the free agent market.

No poker here, just far from a priority. He has no negociation power at all. Look at what a guy like Samsonov got in arbitration after the year he had.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
Goalies like him are available EVERY year on the free agent market.

No poker here, just far from a priority. He has no negociation power at all. Look at what a guy like Samsonov got in arbitration after the year he had.
I agree with you.

If they think he’d ask too much they can deal him at the deadline this year or see what happens after the season otherwise just let him go.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I think its a matter of 'a bird in hand'. I would move monty for the right price, but realistically he's in a position to at least be a decent back up for us. It's so hard to find goalies so I think we should lock him up as we wait for all those G prospects to come through

Reactions: schwang26

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Monty imo seems to be the better goalie for the Habs currently? Future #1? Not sure but a solid #2 that can give you 30 starts? I can see that.

Being a UFA at the end of the season, what is his future in Montreal?

Reactions: Cournoyer12

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
#1 until Fowler/Dobes/Primeau whoever else is ready.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
Monty imo seems to be the better goalie for the Habs currently? Future #1? Not sure but a solid #2 that can give you 30 starts? I can see that.

Being a UFA at the end of the season, what is his future in Montreal?
Doubtful that anyone is stepping in to take over. He should get a 3 year deal at least.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Habs working to extend Monty.

I guess it depends on the cost and length

One of the best high danger save percentage, but doesn't look as good as he did last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad