Player Discussion Sam "Dikembe" Montembeault

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Tetragrammaton

Mar 17, 2022
He has really improved. You may be right. I would be ecstatic
He passes the eye test, even with a bad defense. Even when hes hung out to dry and gets blown out he still battles hard. Great attitude. He continues to improve, 26 is a great age for a goalie, he potentially has another 6-7 or more prime years left in him.

The 2024 / 2025 season roster: Ready for the playoffs and to start competing for the Cup if everything goes right.

Dubois - Dach - Caufield
Slafkovsky - Suzuki - Michkov/Dvorsky
Roy - Beck - Mesar
Harvey P - Farrell - Anderson

Guhle - Barron
Hutson - Xhekaj
Matheson - Mailloux

Montembault
Primeau

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
With a solid defense in front of him I think he's the real deal.

I hope he plays 80% of the 2nd half of the season.

He passes the eye test, even with a bad defense. Even when hes hung out to dry and gets blown out he still battles hard. Great attitude. He continues to improve, 26 is a great age for a goalie, he potentially has another 6-7 or more prime years left in him.

The 2024 / 2025 season roster: Ready for the playoffs and to start competing for the Cup if everything goes right.

Dubois - Dach - Caufield
Slafkovsky - Suzuki - Michkov/Dvorsky
Roy - Beck - Mesar
Harvey P - Farrell - Anderson

Guhle - Barron
Hutson - Xhekaj
Matheson - Mailloux

Montembault
Primeau

that d is just awful. Markov, hammer, subban, days are long gone.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Full credit to Montembeault. In 15 months he's gone from terrible to solid to good. No idea if he'll be consistent enough to be our next Starting Goalie, but he's earned a spot somewhere on the roster moving forward.
He's already a good backup. I don't think the consistency is there for a starter. He had some good stretches last year too. People calling him an AHLer and that he sucks are out to lunch.

Tetragrammaton

Mar 17, 2022
He's already a good backup. I don't think the consistency is there for a starter. He had some good stretches last year too. People calling him an AHLer and that he sucks are out to lunch.
What extra consistency could he have possibly showed us with the bad defense he's had in front of him? If he was on a contending team he'd be in the Vesina discussion.

Tetragrammaton

Mar 17, 2022
@zeeto His saves above expected are one of the best in the league, he doesn't have any obvious flaws, he's a tough goalies to beat WITH a bad defense in front of him.

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
I'm spoiled because of Price - my standards now for goalies is basically we need a top 5 goalie. Like Vasy, Sheshterkin, Sorokin, Ottenger, Saros. No better feeling than having a stone wall in the net backing your team up.

Montembault ain't that guy, but in fairness he's playing very well behind a systemless rookie defence corps. If it weren't for him, we'd easily be bottom 5 I think.

I've always liked him from his Florida days and was very happy when we signed him. Thought he would be the best backup in the league. I like how solid he looks. Always in position. Never shaky either - seems very mentally sound. So calm.

I only question his ceiling, and consistency/ability to handle a starting workload. He still has to prove that.

If he can handle more games, and he maintains this level of play from this season - are we happy with him as our starter moving forward?

I'd imagine his cap hit would still be cheap too! Personally I'd love that. Assuming he maintains level + increase in games.

With that said, I'm really hoping he has another gear to him. He'd solve all our goalie problems just like that! At a cheap cap so we have more space for rest of the team.

Reactions: Tetragrammaton

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
No one saw Montembeault developing this well after the Habs claimed him.

Really happy that he is becoming a decent NHL goalie for the Habs.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
The tough thing about Monty is he'll become a UFA after next year. If he continues to improve, he could generate some interest around the league due to only being 27 and showing he might have some untapped potential. Just last summer, a 27 year old Ville Husso turned one decent 40 game season and getting lit up in the playoffs into a 3 year deal at almost $5M a year. Jack Campbell was another late bloomer who got paid as a UFA and now sucks ass.

Monty has definitely improved a lot, but he's playing on a team not expected to win and also he's on a cheap deal so he doesn't have high expectations.

If he continues to progress I would want to keep him on an Anton Forsberg type of deal (~3 x $2.75M) before he becomes a UFA. But with several young players needing to get paid in the future, I would be skeptical about getting into a bidding war for him given no one knows how he'll handle the additional pressure of playing on a more competitive team and having higher expectations with a larger deal.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Just saw the latest Harvey-Pinard interview on RDS...Sam's nickname is: SNACKS :slaugh:

mfw someone ate the last cookie

Sam-Montembeault-scaled.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: morhilane

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Thanks for sharing after the news broke though!
Well at the very least....it's a confirmation. Monty hesitated 'cause at some point, he thought relaxing was in order but just couldn't pass over that opportunity.

MadMslm

Jun 16, 2018
Last season I was pretty vocal about him. I liked that he never gave up after a bad goal, and he would always make big saves before giving an other bad one.

Didn’t expect him to be more than a number 2 (and not a great one at it), but this season he did show a lot of improvement in his lateral movement and technique.

Not sure how much of it is real, or if it’s mostly smoke from a player who overachieved.

It’s good that he took the invitation for the world championship, he’ll get to play on one if not the best team of the tournament, so no excuses of playing behind a bad team that gives a lot of chances.

Hopefully he does well and keeps trending in the right direction, even though I still believe that if he’s your number 1 next season you’re in trouble.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad