Player Discussion Sam "Dikembe" Montembeault

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
He has been ok this season............some really good games, but then some awful....go figure.
Last night I stopped watching after he let one in from the goal line on the Orlov goal.

We have been spoiled over the years, so it's always hard to be fair about our goalies.............but we were dead last, and bottom 5 this year, and alot of that is on the goalies.
Price covered over so many of our issues........................but anyhow good for Monty for the TC announcement.....

Let's hope he keeps developing as a goaltender. He is the perfect backup....

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
He has been ok this season............some really good games, but then some awful....go figure.
Last night I stopped watching after he let one in from the goal line on the Orlov goal.

We have been spoiled over the years, so it's always hard to be fair about our goalies.............but we were dead last, and bottom 5 this year, and alot of that is on the goalies.
Price covered over so many of our issues........................but anyhow good for Monty for the TC announcement.....

Let's hope he keeps developing as a goaltender. He is the perfect backup....
I've always liked his fight and he does come up with some great reflex saves.We also can't fault him on breakaways. I think he has to improve in one area in particular he is horrible at picking up the puck through traffic. Price was a master at that and made so many saves look easy because of it. Sam also gets caught over playing the puck but a better defensive structure will help some of that.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
He's standing on his head in World Championships. Do we sign him long term or see how next season unfolds?
Let the season unfold. Don’t be in a rush to give a silly long term contract to a guy that’s been a journeyman up until this point. Also it might be worth fielding offers from desperate playoff teams at the deadline with his $1m expiring contract.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Let the season unfold. Don’t be in a rush to give a silly long term contract to a guy that’s been a journeyman up until this point. Also it might be worth fielding offers from desperate playoff teams at the deadline with his $1m expiring contract.
Rather get rid of Allen and roll with Monty for a couple more years..

It's insane Allen has 2 yrsX3.85M left on his deal and Samuel only has 1yrX1M..

Supersonic

May 27, 2013
Ontario
Rather get rid of Allen and roll with Monty for a couple more years..

It's insane Allen has 2 yrsX3.85M left on his deal and Samuel only has 1yrX1M..

Completely agree the contracts should be backward

I will say though, and I hope to not derail this convo, but look at Bob on Florida…at points in this season his contract was nuclear waste level of toxicity…and now look at him lol.

Goalie position is a fickle b****, wouldn’t be surprised to see Allen turn it around next year and we ship him out for a decent return and let Monty/Primeau cook for the short term future

Overall I like Monty and I think he’s house money let’s see how far he can take it. Encouraging Price was helping him recently

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Not sure if you can call him a journeyman. I see it as organic development. Many goalies don't come into their own until they're the same age as Monty. I see strong tools, size, progress and most importantly a very cool head. Hockey Canada has him starting over Levi who many think would have led the Sabres into the playoffs had he been there all year.

Gord Miller and MJ were raving yesterday about his play both in the tournament and during the regular season for the Habs. He stole many games on a team that often dressed 4-5 rookie Dmen. Florida liked him and didn't want to lose him to waivers but were in a desperate pinch with Bobrovsky's huge contract, Knight's phenom status and zero cap room.

Goalfield13

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021
People on this board need to take this player more seriously. He was drafted by Florida, played in the AHL, and was picked up by the Habs due to a numbers game in Florida. I fail to see how he is a journeyman. He needed to see rubber at the NHL level and has been progressing well. I have always liked his professional demeanor.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
People on this board need to take this player more seriously. He was drafted by Florida, played in the AHL, and was picked up by the Habs due to a numbers game in Florida. I fail to see how he is a journeyman. He needed to see rubber at the NHL level and has been progressing well. I have always liked his professional demeanor.
He is steadily developing very well. Like this guy, and cautiously optimistic on his future.
Goalies are hard to figure out at times.......but great to see him playing very well for TC !!

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Not sure if you can call him a journeyman. I see it as organic development. Many goalies don't come into their own until they're the same age as Monty. I see strong tools, size, progress and most importantly a very cool head. Hockey Canada has him starting over Levi who many think would have led the Sabres into the playoffs had he been there all year.

Gord Miller and MJ were raving yesterday about his play both in the tournament and during the regular season for the Habs. He stole many games on a team that often dressed 4-5 rookie Dmen. Florida liked him and didn't want to lose him to waivers but were in a desperate pinch with Bobrovsky's huge contract, Knight's phenom status and zero cap room.
1000000% this, what we've been seeing the last 2 years with Monty is just pure development . This is the natural progression of things lol
These 20 yr old Carey Price's that make the NHL at 20 don't grow on trees

What I like the most about Monty : He Battles.
What a f***ing battler, I never saw someone give up a bad goal and then play BETTER like that
He's pretty fast thanks to his youth still but most importantly : he's actually pretty much the same size as Carey, so that's a big plus too

I swear, I say it all the time, but there was a point last year (last last year) where he was 2 wins and 14 losses at some point.. and he had become my favorite player :laugh:
I just really really like him lol, wish him nothing but the best here

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
1000000% this, what we've been seeing the last 2 years with Monty is just pure development . This is the natural progression of things lol
These 20 yr old Carey Price's that make the NHL at 20 don't grow on trees

What I like the most about Monty : He Battles.
What a f***ing battler, I never saw someone give up a bad goal and then play BETTER like that
He's pretty fast thanks to his youth still but most importantly : he's actually pretty much the same size as Carey, so that's a big plus too

I swear, I say it all the time, but there was a point last year (last last year) where he was 2 wins and 14 losses at some point.. and he had become my favorite player :laugh:
I just really really like him lol, wish him nothing but the best here
He certainly battles! Also he played his first year with us with a bad wrist that required surgery after the season and he played knowing it required surgery. He took one for the team for several months so Primeau wouldn't be fed to the wolves. In that same first season, he played two games in the same weekend against Dallas and Vegas where the Habs gave up over 50 shots in each game and he stole 3 out of 4 points! This is for the Habs team that finished last overall.

Buffalo, Pittsburgh and perhaps even Ottawa would have made the playoffs if they had the goaltending Monty provided for the Habs this past season.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
bro WHAT?

Monty is why we are drafting 5 and not top 3.
LOL.............huge diff eh............
Monty had a decent season as compared to the year before when we were dead last.
That said, if we don't cherry pick he had some tough moments this year too, just not Jake Allen tough.
I hope as everyone does, his development continues to move upwards, and his play in the worlds has been pretty good too.

No worries, I am a fan, albeit cautious, let's not give him a boatload of money yet!!

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
He was much more consistent this year and stole a bunch of points for us. Great surprise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad