Salary Cap: Salary Cap Summer | The Hunt for 3C | Updated cap info in Post #1

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

davemess

Apr 9, 2003
Scotland
Surely they wont just look at points when the value Dmen in arbitration?

The fact Dumoulin has played 21 and 22 minutes per game in back to back Cup runs has surely got to be factored in.

They wont just ignore the fact that the guy played 1st pairing D minutes in back to back cup wins because he doesn't score a lot.

I don't think he gets 4 in arbitration, probably around the 3 mark.

I just think we should be giving him 4 to get him signed long term.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Since it seems likely that we will trade a winger for a 3C, I don't see why that winger can't be Sheary. Sure, he had a fantastic regular season with Sid, but he was a complete no-show in the playoffs. His production during the regular season would be replaced by a full season of Jake and Sprong, all whilst adding that vital 3C. I'd be very open to the idea atleast.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
I'm not particularly worried about the Dumo contract. What type of leverage does he have to be awarded over 4MM in arbitration?

He has 2 goals and 33 points in 163 games. That's worse than Karl Alzner type of production and he only got 4.7MM on the open market as a UFA.

Sheary could get more than we want because of his big year, but time will tell.

Playing top pairing for back-to-back cup wins. Led all Pens dmen in TOI in 2017 playoffs. While his regular season point production isn't great, his playoff production is on par with Maatta's and only a little behind Letang and Schultz.

FinProspects

Sep 15, 2007
Playing top pairing for back-to-back cup wins. Led all Pens dmen in TOI in 2017 playoffs. While his regular season point production isn't great, his playoff production is on par with Maatta's and only a little behind Letang and Schultz.

Yeep, Dumo is a must have.But not with over 5million.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
For some reference: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...ie-dekeyser-palmieri-schenn-schwartz-killorn/

I don't think Dumo is going to get too much from an arbitration case. So I'm not worried about that. I look at a guy like Kreider for Sheary. The guy has one season with amazing stats. I can't find a comparable. Kreider had 3 seasons and was working his way up. Looking through these, I think his case is extremely interesting.

Note that every one of those cases in the Sportsnet link were either settled before they actually went to the arbitrator or before the verdict was returned. None were actually settled by the arbitrator.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Also if you missed it from Mackey's piece today, JR said he may look outside the trade route(FA'y) or a lesser trade to beef up the C position but nothing that'll stop him from continuing his search for a bonafide 3C.

The DK/Yohe piece, can we get some cliffs? Any new JR quotes in that? And who are his 4C options that were mentioned? Assume Rowney and...?

Intetesting. Would like to know too please!

davemess

Apr 9, 2003
Scotland
I don't think we should sign Sheary long term this summer, coming off a 2nd strong season maybe but not after this year and the dodgy ending it had.

To me Sheary is the perfect candidate for a bridge contract, 2 years @ $3AVV something of that nature.

Lets see if the real Sheary is the regular season guy or the playoff guy before committing big money long term.

Contender

Sep 22, 2014
Also if you missed it from Mackey's piece today, JR said he may look outside the trade route(FA'y) or a lesser trade to beef up the C position but nothing that'll stop him from continuing his search for a bonafide 3C.

The DK/Yohe piece, can we get some cliffs? Any new JR quotes in that? And who are his 4C options that were mentioned? Assume Rowney and...?

Cullen.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013

The NHL/NHLPA CBA is very specific about what types of evidence can be submitted, to the detriment of certain types of players. Permissible evidence includes:

The number of games played and a player's injury history
"Overall performance" (including NHL "official statistics")
Length of service of the player to the club or in the NHL
"The overall contribution of the Player to the competitive success or failure of his club in the preceding season"
"Any special qualities of leadership or public appeal"
The overall performance of alleged comparable players
The compensation of any comparable players that have been formally introduced as a comparable

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I don't think Dumoulin will get as much as people think.

Its hard to find a comparable for him, Ryan Murray was the closest i could come up with.

In 2015-2016 Murray got 25 points in 82 games, he played 22 minutes a game

Last year Dumoulin got 15 points in 70 games, he played 20 and a half minutes a game.

Murray got a 2 year bridge contract for 2.8 million a year.

I could see something like that for Dumo.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida

Dumo was actually clutch last year as well with the first goal in that San Jose game.

I feel between the two, Dumo is the obvious choice to keep. The idea of Maatta + Sheary packages just seems more and more likely at this point. I wasn't comfortable dealing Sheary to be honest, but I'll also be equally uncomfortable paying the guy 4+M a season unless he can play with Sid AND Geno. Then again, Kunitz made close to 4M last year and we managed... so maybe Sheary at 4 will be palatable. What a summer. All these arbitration cases make next summer a terrifying thought with Bryan Rust - who's clearly a great wing and has been extremely clutch. I'd be focused on locking him up sooner than later.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house

Its hard to find a comparable for him, Ryan Murray was the closest i could come up with.

Last year Dumoulin got 15 points in 70 games, he played 20 and a half minutes a game.

What about Larsson? He got $4.167 per year.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I want nothing to do with more than a 1-2 year deal for Sheary. He's too up and down. And I certainly don't want his contract hindering us from signing the other kids, PH, etc.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016

No way would I want Dumo on the UFA market in two years.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I excluded the agent. :laugh:

I only said that because it does not seem to be a coincidence that both of these guys are represented by the same agent. It makes me fairly concerned that he is going to try and milk every dime from the team. Which is fine, that is his job, but as you pointed out that window closes if too many on the team get greedy. The Pens won with depth. This hurts that depth.

Granted we have a couple of cups in the bank, three really in the Crosby/Malkin era. But I am greedy and want another. There is a five year window, I would hope that both sides could give a little to keep that window viable.

Corvidae

May 5, 2009

Unless he plans on offer-sheeting an RFA... woof.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
I want nothing to do with more than a 1-2 year deal for Sheary. He's too up and down. And I certainly don't want his contract hindering us from signing the other kids, PH, etc.

Yeah, if he stays I would want him signed to a one year prove it deal for 2mil. If he gets awarded too much I think he is as good as gone. Hoffman was in a similiar situation a couple years ago after s blow up season. But Sheary did not play well in the playoffs and doesn't not drive a line on his own and gets pushed around a lot. He produced with Sid and Jake.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
What about Larsson? He got $4.167 per year.

I wonder how much "upside" is factored in to Larsson's deal. He hasn't shown it (and may never), but he was supposed to have this offensive upside that Dumoulin simply doesn't have.

Even still, I think Larsson's a better player than Dumoulin (more of a threat to score, more physical, equal defensively). So if he's getting $4.167 million per year, Dumo should be getting less than that.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
No way would I want Dumo on the UFA market in two years.

Now that i think of it those were Murray's rfa years, this contract will be Dumo's ufa years, so he would probably get more then Murray.

I'm gonna guess Dumoulin will be around 3.5 million per year.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Unless he plans on offer-sheeting an RFA... woof.

Does JR really seem like the type to offer sheet anyone? He prides himself on being an old school straight shooter who has built up a reputation in that very small club of GM's over the years. I could not see him ever offer sheeting a player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad