Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Yeah, I got nuthin' ....

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Look, i think the Reaves deal is pointless on the ice, but it shouldn't be discounted that there is an entertainment value to fighting and in reality we are closer than people think to it being taken out of the game completely so having a last hurrah with an everyday player who can fight might not be the worse thing

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Besides the fact neither of those guys are RWers, sure, good solution.

Johnson plays both wings. And i swear i saw Reese listed as RW. but even then, you have Sprong....i just don't see why they thought they needed another RW. Also I'm sure Wilson plays both wings, so ZAR still can impact that RW spot by making Wilson Move to RW.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Look, i think the Reaves deal is pointless on the ice, but it shouldn't be discounted that there is an entertainment value to fighting and in reality we are closer than people think to it being taken out of the game completely so having a last hurrah with an everyday player who can fight might not be the worse thing

I agree completely. I'm going to love Reaves as a player. Just seems like a completely unnecessary move.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Funny, I don't recall Laraque being used on the PK. Also, didn't Reeves score a shortie against us last year. I think the regard held for Reeves in the locker room, with the coaching staff, and with management is far great than that given by some on this fan board.

I also like how calling Reaves "Laraque with wheels" is somehow a bad thing. If Laraque was a better skater, he'd be a very effective player in today's game even without having to fight.

I think the people who are ragging on Reaves are focusing entirely on the fighter thing. They've got it in their mind that that is the *only* thing Reaves can do well, and so he must be a useless player unless he's throwing punches.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Johnson plays both wings. And i swear i saw Reese listed as RW. but even then, you have Sprong....i just don't see why they thought they needed another RW. Also I'm sure Wilson plays both wings, so ZAR still can impact that RW spot by making Wilson Move to RW.

So you think it makes sense to play Johnson (a rookie who is on the skinny side) and Sprong (all offense, all the time) as our 4th line wingers rather than a guy like Reaves, who actually fills that role perfectly?

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I agree completely. I'm going to love Reaves as a player. Just seems like a completely unnecessary move.

Pretty much this. I've never called him a goon. Just not a player we needed to got out of our way for, when you have alot of NHL capable RWs already.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
So you think it makes sense to play Johnson (a rookie who is on the skinny side) and Sprong (all offense, all the time) as our 4th line wingers rather than a guy like Reaves, who actually fills that role perfectly?

That's not what im saying at all. Obviously Sprong would go up on the top 9. Move down Rust to 4th line RW or move him to LW with malkin and move hags to 4th line LW then pushing Wilson to 4th line RW.

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
I also like how calling Reaves "Laraque with wheels" is somehow a bad thing. If Laraque was a better skater, he'd be a very effective player in today's game even without having to fight.

I think the people who are ragging on Reaves are focusing entirely on the fighter thing. They've got it in their mind that that is the *only* thing Reaves can do well, and so he must be a useless player unless he's throwing punches.

Because it's not a bad thing. I'm sure I'll enjoy watching him play. But I'd still rather have Kostin and potentially a top 6 forward than Reaves. Even if he's good at what he does.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Pretty much this. I've never called him a goon. Just not a player we needed to got out of our way for, when you have alot of NHL capable RWs already.

Except pretending those RWs are the same as Reaves is disingenuous at best. It's fine to not like Reaves or not think we need what he brings to the table, but the dude is one of the top 5 hitters in the league for a reason and acting like Archibald is exactly like him is... well, frankly, stupid.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Since when was Laraque bad for the Penguins, let alone bad enough to become an epithet? The line he was on dumped it in the corner, he just held it there for 40 seconds, then went for a line change--which is a good thing. Biggest thing you want from your fourth line is to not get scored on. If Laraque is in the offensive zone for his whole shift, he's not getting scored on.

We've been spoiled by Cullen into thinking fourth lines are something they almost never are.

I think it's an exaggeration to say Kuhnhackl is Adams 2.0, in the same sense that saying Bonino and Sheahan are the same thing. Like they may play similar styles and do similar things, but Bonino and Kuhnhackl are clearly the better player and do those things better. I don't think Kuhnhackl is a poor skater, nor do I think his board work is atrocious. Those are exaggerations.

Depends on the Adams we're talking about. After his expiration date (which was like 5 years before we got rid of him), the Adams we saw was much worse than Kuhnhackl, but at his best? He was probably slightly more useful. Kuhn plays 1 position, Adams played 3, Adams was way, way more physical and I personally think he was a stronger defensive player back when he was posting 15-20 point seasons like Kuhnhackl does.

I think it's far closer to the mark to compare Kuhnhackl to Adams than it is to compare him to Hornqvist, which people were doing last year.

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Depends on the Adams we're talking about. After his expiration date (which was like 5 years before we got rid of him), the Adams we saw was much worse than Kuhnhackl, but at his best? He was probably slightly more useful. Kuhn plays 1 position, Adams played 3, Adams was way, way more physical and I personally think he was a stronger defensive player back when he was posting 15-20 point seasons like Kuhnhackl does.

I think it's far closer to the mark to compare Kuhnhackl to Adams than it is to compare him to Hornqvist, which people were doing last year.

I think Kuhnhackl is equally as good on LW and RW, and Adams played RW and C, but I can understand this. I wasn't trying to say Adams sucked, just like comparing Bonino to Sheahan wasn't made with the intention to say Sheahan sucked. I don't think there's a big difference between Bonino and Sheahan, but I do think Bonino is clearly better. Anyone comparing Kuhnhackl to Hornqvist was out to lunch for sure. He's a good 4th liner, that's really about it.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Depends on the Adams we're talking about. After his expiration date (which was like 5 years before we got rid of him), the Adams we saw was much worse than Kuhnhackl, but at his best? He was probably slightly more useful. Kuhn plays 1 position, Adams played 3, Adams was way, way more physical and I personally think he was a stronger defensive player back when he was posting 15-20 point seasons.

Exactly. Adams circa 2009 was a very good 4th liner starting his decent. Adams circa 2015 was a player at the end of his career.

Saints11

Jan 24, 2012
Pittsburgh

But none of their other RW options have the resume that Reeves has, which obviously had an impression on the Pens management team, staff, and players; as he did in St. Louis and by early reports, the Pen's locker room.

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
Except pretending those RWs are the same as Reaves is disingenuous at best. It's fine to not like Reaves or not think we need what he brings to the table, but the dude is one of the top 5 hitters in the league for a reason and acting like Archibald is exactly like him is... well, frankly, stupid.

Thing is Archibald is faster and closes in on opponent quicker. That kind of pressure makes opponents turn the puck over and we saw it in the playoffs. Reaves won't pressure as much and will let the play develop. But at least he'll get a hit I guess.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015

I find zero value in hitting and fighting anyway. I want Speed and Forechecking. And, Reaves is decent at those things. But Archibald is better at both. And he doesn't cost us assets to use. Same with Rowney and Kuhn. They will give you fine 4th line RW play, just like Reaves but they're free, You don't have to give up a 1st and sundqvist for them. And i think that Archibald and Kuhn especially Kuhn are better players.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Thing is Archibald is faster and closes in on opponent quicker. That kind of pressure makes opponents turn the puck over and we saw it in the playoffs. Reaves won't pressure as much and will let the play develop. But at least he'll get a hit I guess.

You must have been a huge fan of Tyler Kennedy. :laugh: Look, Reaves is just simply the better hitter and has been one of the league leaders in hits for quite a while.

Archibald is faster. Archibald also has Konstantin Koltsov hands. Reaves is not a huge scorer, but his seasonal best in the NHL isn't that far off from Archibald's best in the AHL. :dunno:

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
But none of their other RW options have the resume that Reeves has, which obviously had an impression on the Pens management team, staff, and players; as he did in St. Louis and by early reports, the Pen's locker room.
What do you mean by resume? A name people have heard before? Kuhn has outscored Reaves easily the past two years.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I find zero value in hitting and fighting anyway. I want Speed and Forechecking. And, Reaves is decent at those things. But Archibald is better at both. And he doesn't cost us assets to use. Same with Rowney and Kuhn. They will give you fine 4th line RW play, just like Reaves but they're free, You don't have to give up a 1st and sundqvist for them. And i think that Archibald and Kuhn especially Kuhn are better players.

Hitting is part of forechecking, you know.

SCPens

Feb 9, 2008
Oh no! 30 teams passed on him so he must suck! Come on you should know better. Despres was ranked way higher than 30th yet he fell to to us and became a pretty good top 4 defenseman.

Oh and you know who else slipped in the draft? Daniel Sprong.

And let me be clear, I'm not against having Reaves I'm against passing on a guy like Kostin. Sundqvist and a late pick for Reaves is what he's really worth.

The Pens have arguably 2 of the best 5 players in the world and they're not getting any younger. Reaves addresses the NOW which is what any GM with half a brain would do. Kostin is a project AT BEST. The Pens are making moves to win another championship. If the ultimate goal in this league is to win Cups, Jimmy's doing his job!

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
What do you mean by resume? A name people have heard before? Kuhn has outscored Reaves easily the past two years.

You want to be pedantic, you might want to note that Kuhnhackl's "easy" outscoring of Reaves was a whopping 3 points last year, for two players in very different roles in very different systems on very different teams.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
You must have been a huge fan of Tyler Kennedy. :laugh: Look, Reaves is just simply the better hitter and has been one of the league leaders in hits for quite a while.

Archibald is faster. Archibald also has Konstantin Koltsov hands. Reaves is not a huge scorer, but his seasonal best in the NHL isn't that far off from Archibald's best in the AHL. :dunno:

Actually if you compare Archibalds AHL stats to Reaves AHL stats. Archibalds AHL season last year was much better than Reaves best AHL season..

Saints11

Jan 24, 2012
Pittsburgh

Did you hold a match race between them? I'm not sure you can accurately judge Archibald on his brief appearances from last year. Whereas Reeves does have a greater resume in the league. Unfortunately, I think Archibald might end up being lost in our numbers crunch.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Actually if you compare Archibalds AHL stats to Reaves AHL stats. Archibalds AHL season last year was much better than Reaves best AHL season..

You're so bad at rules lawyering, it's cute, kid.

I didn't compare AHL to AHL. I compared AHL to NHL, since, frankly speaking, that's what matters and Archibald has very little to show from his time with the big club thus far. But cherry pick away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad