Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Yeah, I got nuthin' ....

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
You want to be pedantic, you might want to note that Kuhnhackl's "easy" outscoring of Reaves was a whopping 3 points last year, for two players in very different roles in very different systems on very different teams.

im adding the easily because Kuhn did so while sitting 25 games. :laugh: Reaves played 82., Kuhn 57 games.

SCPens

Feb 9, 2008
This is exactly my point.

I'm trying to pull a Charles Green Ballers type move and get into the Pens management by saying it's strange we didn't take Kostin.

Well then now I FINALLY understand where you've been coming from with all of your absurd posts....

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
I mean a lot of the. Enefit to hitting to wear down dmen died with the new icing rules... its a lot harder to lay consistant legal hits on them... add the speed of the game penalizing players out of position from ill advised hits or attempts moreso than ever and while its still useful, its not what it used to be... still Reaves on the 4th gives the staff the hitter they like without a Kunitz type trying to be usefull in the top six providing that...

At least he isn't slow.. disruptive challenges that force guys to make a fast move with the puck, whether thats a hit or not, is the benefit these days...

SCPens

Feb 9, 2008
Look, i think the Reaves deal is pointless on the ice, but it shouldn't be discounted that there is an entertainment value to fighting and in reality we are closer than people think to it being taken out of the game completely so having a last hurrah with an everyday player who can fight might not be the worse thing

Here's a tissue. I have more if you need another....

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
You must have been a huge fan of Tyler Kennedy. :laugh: Look, Reaves is just simply the better hitter and has been one of the league leaders in hits for quite a while.

Archibald is faster. Archibald also has Konstantin Koltsov hands. Reaves is not a huge scorer, but his seasonal best in the NHL isn't that far off from Archibald's best in the AHL. :dunno:

Well Kennedy was great in 09.

I disagree with the Koltsov part :laugh: . Archibald is underrated and he's got decent hands. If Archie has Koltsov hands then Reaves has Tanner Glass hands. Come to think of it Reaves brings pretty much the thing as Glass. Hits. Yay.

Last edited:

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
im adding the easily because Kuhn did so while sitting 25 games. :laugh: Reaves played 82., Kuhn 57 games.

Reaves played 80, but that's not the point, though again, projections aren't really very accurate and you have to go with what we have for data.

The point is that, even as a lowly "enforcer", on a less-offensive Blues team, playing a much less up-tempo system, and with inferior linemates, Reaves' production was very close to Kuhn. And Kuhn had the benefit of playing on one of the best 4th lines in the league.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
You're so bad at rules lawyering, it's cute, kid.

I didn't compare AHL to AHL. I compared AHL to NHL, since, frankly speaking, that's what matters and Archibald has very little to show from his time with the big club thus far. But cherry pick away.

I know. Just using reference a point. That Archibald was better in the AHL Last year than Reaves ever was. Archibald had a nice improvement last year in the AHL. And i disagree that Archibald has shown very little. He had 3 goals in 10 games, and was trusted enough by the coaches to play a couple of finals games as a rookie. And looked good.

Also Reaves, Has 1 point in 46 playoff games. If his name wasn't Ryan Reaves, no one would be defending the trade.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
This Kostin stuff is going to get old fast.

They never had any intention of drafting Kostin.

Exactly, they were going to pick a defenseman with that pick. If you want to complain about them trading that pick, mention someone like Nicolas Hague, who was ranked 20th among NA skaters and was probably the best available defenseman left.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Well Kennedy was great in 09.

I disagree with the Koltsov part :laugh. Archibald is underrated and he's got decent hands. If Archie has Koltsov hands then Reaves has Tanner Glass hands. Come to think of it Reaves brings pretty much the thing as Glass. Hits. Yay.

Kennedy was overrated trash that was fetishized by this board because he came along at a time when most of them were young and we won a Cup after a long absence. His points here were basically because he was propped up and then... he had a humiliating last few years in the league.

So, I guess that clears up why we won't see eye to eye on this. :laugh:

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Reaves played 80, but that's not the point, though again, projections aren't really very accurate and you have to go with what we have for data.

The point is that, even as a lowly "enforcer", on a less-offensive Blues team, playing a much less up-tempo system, and with inferior linemates, Reaves' production was very close to Kuhn. And Kuhn had the benefit of playing on one of the best 4th lines in the league.

Very close is just wrong. 23 games is alot. And still had 3 more points. That's actually quite a gap. Again though, Reaves may be better, but it's clearly not by any sizeable amount, that we had to go give up assets for him.

Saints11

Jan 24, 2012
Pittsburgh
What do you mean by resume? A name people have heard before? Kuhn has outscored Reaves easily the past two years.

What I mean by resume is the respect opponents and former teammates have for the player. The Blues players lavished universal praise on Reeves after the trade.

Unfortunately, some on this fan site have crucified and stereotyped Reeves before he has even laced up his skates in a real game.

The GM

Jun 7, 2012
Kennedy was overrated trash that was fetishized by this board because he came along at a time when most of them were young and we won a Cup after a long absence. His points here were basically because he was propped up and then... he had a humiliating last few years in the league.

I think people took to Kennedy primarily for his rugged good looks

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Resume as in ACTUAL NHL EXPERIENCE. Any other questions?

Uhh...Kuhn has two seasons under him. 100 games. 35 playoff games. In which he has 7 points. 6 more than Reaves does in 10 less games. While being better defensively and being a good PKer.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I know. Just using reference a point. That Archibald was better in the AHL Last year than Reaves ever was. Archibald had a nice improvement last year in the AHL. And i disagree that Archibald has shown very little. He had 3 goals in 10 games, and was trusted enough by the coaches to play a couple of finals games as a rookie. And looked good.

Also Reaves, Has 1 point in 46 playoff games. If his name wasn't Ryan Reaves, no one would be defending the trade.

On a team that was basically hoping that warm bodies could get in and not **** up too bad while our generational talents somehow beat the odds. Again, context is key here. Reaves and Archibald were being asked to play very different roles for teams that are incredibly different and that is reflected in their stats. Nothing more, nothing less.

Archibald is fine. He's being mad overrated here because people don't like Reaves, which is only doing a huge disservice to Archibald-- he's not the kind of player Reaves is nor is he the next coming of Jari Kurri. Not in a good or a bad way. But they're literally polar opposite types of players and both have their merits in a bottom 6.

SCPens

Feb 9, 2008

Holy cow, now that's a HUGE sample size! We might as well pencil in Archy for 30 this season...

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
What I mean by resume is the respect opponents and former teammates have for the player. The Blues players lavished universal praise on Reeves after the trade.

Unfortunately, some on this fan site have crucified and stereotyped Reeves before he has even laced up his skates in a real game.

Yawn. Every team does that no matter how good or bad the player is that got traded away.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Very close is just wrong. 23 games is alot. And still had 3 more points. That's actually quite a gap. Again though, Reaves may be better, but it's clearly not by any sizeable amount, that we had to go give up assets for him.

23 games means next to nothing without any context. The assumption that those 23 games would see a continuation of the same scoring pace is a logical fallacy. It's too small a sample size to make that judgement.

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal

Doesn't matter because Archibald is better than Kennedy anyway. I guess Tanner Glass was your favorite player :shakehead

SCPens

Feb 9, 2008
Well you're kind of wrong yourself. Archibald had 3 goals in his first 10 games as a rookie. What has Reaves done as a rookie other than throwing hits? :laugh:

Aaaaaaaactually I'm talking about stats other than goals, assists and points. The Pens have 5 Archibalds....but only 1 Reaves. But laugh away Bobby, it's all good...:shakehead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad