Salary Cap: Salary Cap + Roster Building | Well, now what?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

LiffLaff

Crazy? Me?
Feb 22, 2010
Vardal
Why? What has Honka done to make Rutherford want to trade an established blueliner?
Well, you've got me there, I just think he's fit our system like a glove, and with Sprong only getting 4th line minutes, i'd much rather have the D depth on the right side. And if the deal was done today, we'd have until at least when Schultz get's back, to see how he fits in.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
How about just not playing like crap? Not even talking about his production or goals or anything... just not playing poorly? Because it doesn't matter what line you're on or where you start your shift... That's something he has full control over - and so far has for the most part been doing a poor job of it.

He hasn't been playing "like crap" outside of his blunder last game. He's barely been playing at all and when he does he's usually putting the puck in the right places. What are his other supposed deadly sins supposed to have been?

How about trying to shelter a 21 year old scoring wing prospect a bit and not force him to take some of the worst zone deployments of any forward on the team. When was the last time you saw any forward trying to break into the league forced into 70% d-zone deployments, let alone a skill guy? Those are the players you're supposed to give a little cover to rather than throwing them directly into the fire to start every shift.

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
If you move Sprong now, the return is going to be underwhelming according to what people think he's worth.

I'd say the most you'd get is maybe Richard Panik, who's been a healthy scratch. I'd be fine with it honestly. Panik is underrated and hasn't fit in with Arizona. His defense alone makes him worth more than Sprong right now.

Reactions: Riptide

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
If you move Sprong now, the return is going to be underwhelming according to what people think he's worth.

I'd say the most you'd get is maybe Richard Panik, who's been a healthy scratch. I'd be fine with it honestly. Panik is underrated and hasn't fit in with Arizona. His defense alone makes him worth more than Sprong right now.

Nah, Sprong has done enough last year to still have a lot of teams interested and they have their own guys that see his minute and usage and know he's not what he's showing up on the scoresheet as and that they could use him differently.

Also, there's a lot of teams with struggling prospects that might want to swap. There's a market out there for Sprong, it's a niche one though.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Here's my hotpocket..

Since they're our next opponent and like our stuff...

I'd be curious in a Virtanen + Rights to Tryamkin deal for Sprong. If Tryamkin doesn't come over, then a 2nd round pick. If he does, no pick.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

I'd LOVE to get Panik. But I'd rather find a way to do so without moving Sprong for him, as despite his recent play, I do hold out hope that he can continue to develop as a player.

Reactions: Andy99

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
I'd LOVE to get Panik. But I'd rather find a way to do so without moving Sprong for him, as despite his recent play, I do hold out hope that he can continue to develop as a player.
MPuQrSB.gif

Reactions: steelcityassault

CallArnoldSlick

Party Fowl
May 21, 2010
I'd rather not trade Sprong. He has had a frustrating start to the season, but his potential hasn't changed over 8 games.

The Pens aren't getting anything for him right now anyway. Yeah, he could become Eric Tangradi and we'll look back at that time we missed out trading him for a 7D. That beats us trading him now for spare parts and him becoming a James Neal.

Edit: 3 days ago he had 2 fewer points, and the same number of goals, as Crosby.

Reactions: Riptide and Andy99

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I wonder if something like a Sprong for Poopjuiceparty would be a good move?

Both likely need a change of scenery at this point.

Not for me. Part of the problem for Sprong is this is really hard team to break into right now. Poolparty would simply be another guy in the same boat. I'd rather not replicate the problem.

I mean, okay, I'd do it because I think he's more talented, which is why I think Edmonton wouldn't, but in general that sort of deal doesn't work for me. Don't replace Sprong with a guy who'll have similar problems - use him in a package to land something difference making.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

BlackAndGold87

Jul 13, 2017
It's been mentioned here a few times but I'd love to to see Sprong being part of a package for a LW. Saad would be amazing.

Wonder if Sprong lands you Duchene before the deadline? even though MD is a rental? I'm not sure I would do but it completely makes this team stacked.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
I think any major moves will happen at the draft and off season. Sprong benefits from NHL coaching as his AHL career is done. But no question he can be a key down the road. Not trading him with his potential. But GMJR still has a LW issue and would love to have a good LW with some size and scoring to come in. Brassard plays center to make the Pens a three line offensive team.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
It's been mentioned here a few times but I'd love to to see Sprong being part of a package for a LW. Saad would be amazing.

Wonder if Sprong lands you Duchene before the deadline? even though MD is a rental? I'm not sure I would do but it completely makes this team stacked.

Would be a sick addition for the post season
I still have my hopes up of Duchene signing here in the off season, hope JR can make cap room and fit him in to replace Brassard/Hags
Personally I'd save the trades assets for something else

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Sprong won't have any significant value because he's waiver eligible and hasn't proven anything in the NHL. The best case scenario is that they Despres for Lovejoy him I think.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

Sprong will not be the main piece in getting Duchene, even if he's a rental. It would be something + Sprong and that something is more valuable than Sprong.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC

Yes, let's waste yet another prospect. For as much winning as this organization has, they are complete dolts with some of their decisions.

I'm starting to believe the narrative of the main boards that belittle the organization as getting holy lucky with Mario, Sid and Geno.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

You can't figure out why I'd want someone who can skate decently, and plays a physical game who's 6-1, 210 and who over the previous 2 seasons had 22g/44pts and 16g/35pts (in what was considered a down year)? I mean this should be pretty straightforward...

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
You can't figure out why I'd want someone who can skate decently, and plays a physical game who's 6-1, 210 and who over the previous 2 seasons had 22g/44pts and 16g/35pts (in what was considered a down year)? I mean this should be pretty straightforward...

Panik would be a great get. Isn't he also a dependable defensive player? maybe something like Panik and GoGo at 50% for something. Maatta can be part of the deal.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Is Sustr any good these days? I saw he was put on waivers.
Pretty sure he blows judging by TB fans. Then again so was Oleksiak with Dallas and he was decent here, not so much this year but players tend to be good and bad throughout the season or have brutal seasons followed by good ones.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Sprong won't have any significant value because he's waiver eligible and hasn't proven anything in the NHL. The best case scenario is that they Despres for Lovejoy him I think.
if it gets to the point that we "are" looking to move sprong. we would need to play him with geno for a while just to get his value up. but then we might also see what we have and keep him. :)

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
I'd rather not trade Sprong. He has had a frustrating start to the season, but his potential hasn't changed over 8 games.

The Pens aren't getting anything for him right now anyway. Yeah, he could become Eric Tangradi and we'll look back at that time we missed out trading him for a 7D. That beats us trading him now for spare parts and him becoming a James Neal.

Edit: 3 days ago he had 2 fewer points, and the same number of goals, as Crosby.
I've still failed to be convinced he isn't a total bust. To me, it never looks like he's in a dangerous spot in the offensive zone and he has like 3 shots on goal throughout our first 7 games. That's terrrible for a winger who is so highly coveted due to his offensive prowess. His offensive awareness seems to be lacking if he doesn't have the puck on his stick and he can't keep the puck on his stick well enough to justify thinking he'd be a suitable anchor for his own line. I'm all for trading him.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
That's the kind of depth guy we should be looking at. He's relatively cheap on a one year deal. Not that I'd advocate sending Riikola down, but it really solidifies the D-corps.

He is a right handed shot, was in our camp a few years back before he chose the Bolts over us. I can't remember much about him outside of him being massive on his skates.

My memory is foggy about his skating and his actual zone coverage.

Then again, if he falls to us in the waiver wire, he probably isn't any good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad